Why do you think faith alone saves us?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

kestrel

Oct 8, 2008
Religion, not just the Christian religion, or even your own religion, can be quite irrational. Except for the all-rational Deists, I know of no religion, faith, spirituality or what-you-make-have, that states that God can be reduced to a set of doctrines.

Now in reference to the doctrine of the trinity If it is so “incoherent with Scripture” then you show me in God’s Word not your human rational understanding. God is one. This doctrine is nothing but a religious doctrine and if it was so scriptural as you all try to defend please show me where God is the first person of the trinity, Jesus is the second person and the HS is the third person. You are offended because I have a valid scriptural point.

I am not offended in the least :)

1.- I am not saying that the doctrine of Trinity is "incoherent with Scripture". On the contrary, I believe that it is the best model we have to understand God.

2.- To save us time, as I don't presume to know your personal beliefs, please tell me whether you agree or not with the following statements.

A. The Father is God.
A1. The Father is able to think.
A2. The Father is able to communicate.

B. The Son is God.
B1. The Son is able to think.
B2. The Son is able to communicate.

C. The Holy Spirit is God
C1. The Holy Spirit is able to communicate.
C2. The Holy Spirit is able to think.

D. God is one.

Once I know that, I can perhaps answer your question. Orthodox Christianity has affirmed all of these, and the doctrine of Trinity is a theological explanation for those beliefs which are at least implicit in the story of salvation.

3. I don't know what's your scriptural point.

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
First of all I do not have a religion. I follow Jesus not man’s religions.

God is one not three God’s. Jesus was God manifested in the flesh. He is not a seperate God, God is one not three persons.

Just because Jesus came in an earthy human form did not mean that all of God left high and exalted state and, what the Bible declares is God was manifested in the flesh. (God has the power and ability to do what ever He wants to, when ever He wants to; especially when it was His purpose to accomplish to defeat death and sin. We are talking about God here a Devine being who can do anything He desires or purpose to do. He is not the second person of the trinity (chapter and verse to prove this please)

1 Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

The Holy Spirit Holy Spirit is a divine part of God with in each one of us capable of speaking, loving, reproving, teaching, convicting and transforming. One that will lead and guide us into all truth. The only way the Bible that can lead and guide us into all truth; who do you trust the 10,000 daughter’s of baby-lon (note spelling) or the Christ with in you.

He is God with in us not the third person of the trinity. (chapter and verse to prove this please)

Many quote the scripture Matt 7:13-15 13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. 15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. KJV

A narrow way to me is to approach God’s Word with no, I mean no preconceived bias. Men follow their religion, creeds, dogmas, Popes, pastors and orthodoxy; and reject the Christ with in us all.

I am a spiritual man not a religious man; the broad way is the way of religion, the narrow way is the way of Christ. Christ or the anointing, anti-Christ or anti anointing means the same thing.

Orthodox Christianity is not Jesus. Jesus said He was the way and truth, if you want to follow someone or something other then Jesus you have a false god you believe in. If what you are saying is true then back it with god's Word. We both know you have NO SCRIPTURAL backing that says God is three persons, that comes from the fale god of Orthodox Christianity.

Religion, not just the Christian religion, or even your own religion, can be quite irrational. Except for the all-rational Deists, I know of no religion, faith, spirituality or what-you-make-have, that states that God can be reduced to a set of doctrines.

I am not offended in the least :)

1.- I am not saying that the doctrine of Trinity is "incoherent with Scripture". On the contrary, I believe that it is the best model we have to understand God.

2.- To save us time, as I don't presume to know your personal beliefs, please tell me whether you agree or not with the following statements.

A. The Father is God.
A1. The Father is able to think.
A2. The Father is able to communicate.

B. The Son is God.
B1. The Son is able to think.
B2. The Son is able to communicate.

C. The Holy Spirit is God
C1. The Holy Spirit is able to communicate.
C2. The Holy Spirit is able to think.

D. God is one.

Once I know that, I can perhaps answer your question. Orthodox Christianity has affirmed all of these, and the doctrine of Trinity is a theological explanation for those beliefs which are at least implicit in the story of salvation.

3. I don't know what's your scriptural point.

kestrel

Oct 8, 2008
If I'm reading well you are saying that the Holy Spirit is a "part of God" while Jesus is a "manifestation of God". Is it your understanding that Jesus is merely a projection of God, like the gnostic groups said. That would present a difficulty when Jesus pray to the Father and even accept His Will. On the other hand, I think you could agree with me that the Holy Spirit is much more than merely a part of God in me, because the Holy Spirit is eternal too.

So, if I'm right, I think that you are not denying the divinity of Jesus or the Holy Spirit, just that they being persons. Is that right?

And sorry to be slow, I'm from a tropical island, and we take it slowly

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
“God is one”, He is not three persons. There is no way around it unless you can show me chapter and verse where God’s Word declares God is three persons. I did not say Jesus was God manifestation in the flesh, I quoted a scripture that declared God manifested in the flesh. Here it is again:

1 Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

The Holy Spirit is God’s Spirit with in us. I am not deniny the divinity of the HS or Jesus what I am dening is the unscritural fact of the trinity, no where in God’s Word does it say God is three persons.

God is one. That is a scritural fact.

If I'm reading well you are saying that the Holy Spirit is a "part of God" while Jesus is a "manifestation of God". Is it your understanding that Jesus is merely a projection of God, like the gnostic groups said. That would present a difficulty when Jesus pray to the Father and even accept His Will. On the other hand, I think you could agree with me that the Holy Spirit is much more than merely a part of God in me, because the Holy Spirit is eternal too.

So, if I'm right, I think that you are not denying the divinity of Jesus or the Holy Spirit, just that they being persons. Is that right?

And sorry to be slow, I'm from a tropical island, and we take it slowly

kestrel

Oct 8, 2008
“God is one”, He is not three persons. There is no way around it unless you can show me chapter and verse where God’s Word declares God is three persons. I did not say Jesus was God manifestation in the flesh, I quoted a scripture that declared God manifested in the flesh. Here it is again:

Sorry, I just don't understand your position. It's pretty contradictory. Was he or wasn't He?

And again, the Trinity is a model to explain how Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the Father can all be God and yet be one. It's not in the Bible, but developed to explain this truth of the Bible.

By the way, what do you understand by "person"?

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
The trinity is a doctrine that attempts to bring who God is down to the level of man’s understanding, instead of us reaching to understand what God is saying. God is not a three persons unless you can prove using God’s Word. God is a spirit he is not flesh. A person is flesh, it is human (Jesus was a person for 33 years) but that flesh person is dead and gone. Jesus and the father are one not three persons. Yes Jesus has a body, but it is a glorious body, and it is not human, carnal flesh as a person is human carnal flesh. Look it up the word person in the dictionary. But please do not use webster as a soarse for a spiritual truth.

You see God is a spirit, never in scripture was God identified as a person/persons. God is divine not a man. A person is a human being. God is one; this is declared from Genesis to Revelation. Not until the Catholic Church came along did the number of gods increase to three gods or three persons in the God head. God the Father, God the Son God the Holy Spirit. I know and declare by God’s Word that God is one; if it is not in scripture; then it is nothing but a made tradition.

kestrel

Oct 8, 2008
The trinity is a doctrine that attempts to bring who God is down to the level of man’s understanding, instead of us reaching to understand what God is saying. God is not a three persons unless you can prove using God’s Word. God is a spirit he is not flesh. A person is flesh, it is human

Oh, we don't mean the same by person then.

You are using the common meaning of person, in the sense of human being. In philosophy, however, person, in very plain terms, is any being able to think and communicate with others. It doesn't say anything about having or not having a body.

When the orthodox Christian says that Jesus is a Person or that the Holy Spirit is a person is *not* that is has a flesh, but that the Holy Spirit is not some fuzzy "energy" or "force", but a real and personal being. In other words, a spirit that lacks a body can be a personal.

I'm honestly surprised at this controversy, because I've never met a single Christian who claimed that the Holy Spirit had a body.

Reactions: Surf Rider

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
How ever you want to define a person does not matter, God is a spirit not a person or three persons.
Oh, we don't mean the same by person then.

You are using the common meaning of person, in the sense of human being. In philosophy, however, person, in very plain terms, is any being able to think and communicate with others. It doesn't say anything about having or not having a body.

When the orthodox Christian says that Jesus is a Person or that the Holy Spirit is a person is *not* that is has a flesh, but that the Holy Spirit is not some fuzzy "energy" or "force", but a real and personal being. In other words, a spirit that lacks a body can be a personal.

I'm honestly surprised at this controversy, because I've never met a single Christian who claimed that the Holy Spirit had a body.

kestrel

Oct 8, 2008
How ever you want to define a person does not matter, God is a spirit not a person or three persons.

It's not how I WANT to define anything, the problem is that you have no idea of what person means in theology. Sorry to be blunt, but you persist in your mistake but saying that "God is a spirit not a person or three persons". You can be both a person and a spirit. A Person is (again) any being who is able to THINK and EXPRESS itself, having independent existence.

Surf Rider

Dec 17, 2009
in the kingdom of heaven right now
He is saying that God is NOT a "being who is able to THINK and EXPRESS itself, having independent existence" as three. He is saying that God is one. That's it. If that be true, then it must be decried regarding there being 3 as God.

Or am I missing what is being said here?

As to a "person" singular, there is room for understanding, as one of the definitions of the dictionary can purely be applied to God. Yet, according to other understandings of the word "person", it is not applicable. Definitions flux. Dictionaries are constantly changing. This is indeed a problem when it comes to certain things being discussed. An older definition that is held, but is not in accordance with a newer definition is problematic, obviously. And a newer definition being applied to a discussion where an older definition is used, is equally problematic. And to top it off, we can personally have erroneous understandings of basic words of our own language. Few are exempt from this. It is good to be open to correction in these things, when others point out by the dictionary our faulty understanding of a word, and thus our erroneous usage of it, too. I've had that done for me, and no, it doesn't make sense the dictionary definition of "protestant", for example, as it only allows for there to be Catholics and everyone else is a Protestant: be they muslim or bhuddist or Moaist. Crazy, but by the dicitonary, that's the only way that word is to be used. Strictly speaking, then, most of the word is protestant. Stupid, that is. Nobody uses it that way, but there it is in the dictionary as such. Hence, for the practicality of it, the dictionary def. is errant, not fitting reality: it is severly limited in scope and hasn't escaped the narrow confines of the time era that it was employed, or in the small area of the earth that it was employed. Yet it is the definition for the english language throughout the whole earth. Dumb. And so it is with the word "persons", as applied to God. Interesting little history on that word theologically when one studies it out.

Personally, I hold to the older defintions and the inapplicability of the word "person" to God in any way, shape, or form. However, according an accepted usage of it in the dictionary, I realize that many, if not most, now apply it to God. This creates problems, and so I adapt to it and "agree" with those that use it for God, knowing that that is where they are coming from, but for my own understanding of it, according to my knowledge of God, I can't see that it is the least bit applicable to God.

This Christ also did, when He gave the parable of the talents: the dude that was given only 1 talent was rebuked, with Christ stating that the guy should have at the very least lent it our for usury. God hates usury. States that a number of times in the bible. God doens't change. So was Christ condoning usury? Not on your life. He was merely using that which was culturally accepted to convey a spiritual truth to those who were blind spiritually: they understood the sinful, carnal and worldly ways, and He used that which they understood to get the spiritual truth accross. To build doctrine on that usage is foolish. And exceedingly so. The same thing is done with the Lazarus in Abraham's bosum parable. If it wasn't spiritual serious, it would be almost humorous.

So, unless I'm off in seeing where the two of you are coming from, let's understand where the other is coming from, and drop the back and forth about it, for it won't do any good to continue it, as it creates a ficticious dichotomy that will never be resolved in such a state. That is an impossibility. As long as that side issue is mainlined, the underlying issue is left on a side track. Is that profitable to anyone? I don't think so.

For the most part I have appreciated reading the posts back and forth.... until they denegrate into useless haggling over the meaning of Words. Of which scripture warns severly, doesn't it? I like to learn from others, and would like to continue to do so. So keep the good posts coming, and if you two could lay aside this "person(s)" dispute, I look forward to more good posts that can be both edifying and challenging. Thanks.

"let the good times roll!"

PS sorry for the long post.

Surf Rider

Dec 17, 2009
Sorry, I just don't understand your position. It's pretty contradictory. Was he or wasn't He?

And again, the Trinity is a model to explain how Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the Father can all be God and yet be one. It's not in the Bible, but developed to explain this truth of the Bible.

By the way, what do you understand by "person"?
Defining person was/is proper. My previous post addresses the opposing stances on it. Hopefully it made sense. Sometimes my reasoning can be kind of goofy, I fear.

The church does not use it as a model: it uses it as the definition of the Godhead. I hold that the bible gives it's own true models of God. I also hold that it is applicable and prudent for us to take those models and fit our understanding of God into them, else why on earth did God give them to us in the first place? Pretty simple logic on that one. So, for starters on this topic, can anyone here give some of the models in the scriptures that God has EXPRESSLY stated are models of God's being? Once that is done, there are those models in the Word that are not expressly stated to be so, but are given as such. Can anyone here give some of those models?

It would be downright foolish to bring forth from the Word that which we consider models of God, that are not expressly stated to be such, at the outset, as that is trying to understand quantum physics in order to understand high school physics --- totally backwards and with the overwhelming propensity to come to very erroneous and completely non-functional conclusions. So let's start with the clearly stated, then progress to the examples given otherwise, and then go to the passages that would rely solely upon spiritual wisdom/insight based upon a mature, solid understanding of the Word in the other types given.

Anybody wth me on this?

Surf Rider

Dec 17, 2009
Once again Benoni, you're way off-topic with your hobbyhorse doctrine. Allow me to assist you. The question at hand here is, is faith alone God's appointed appropriating instrument for justification or is it faith + works? Could it be that works and obedience are rather the fruit or result of faith as Scripture saith?

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
The language used in this post is meant to denigrate. Shame on you.

Then, Benoni reciprocats. Shame on you, too.

From here on out, this thread has improper interaction. I was brought to this site by another, on the basis that this stuff doesn't happen here. Let's can the persoanlly derogatory stuff, OK? I think that some apologies are in order from a few people here. Let's hold to a good standard, shall we? Thanks.

• God is perfect.
    He can only accept a Perfect creation to exist with Him in Eternity.
    Therefore to have eternity with God we must become perfect.
    We are not perfect.
    We cannot achieve perfection
    We can only be changed into a perfect state by Gods intervention.
    This intervention can never be earned.
    It must be a gift.
    So if we are transformed into a perfect state then there can be no boasting on our part.
    Therefore all Glory and Honour rests with God who has achieved the Redemption of His creation by His own Works.

Therefore our works while we do them out of Love for God and Love for our Neighbour.
    And our efforts to resist sin while being noble showing agreement with the will of God.
    Can never reach a point of perfection that would justify eternity with God on their own merit.

Therefore all talk of Works earning ones eternity with God is nothing but the pride of man striving to earn self-justification.

The gift of salvation from God can only be a gift if it is not payed for. Once you pay for a gift then the gift becomes a payment. Indeed seeking to pay for the gift is an insult to the gift Giver. How would you feel if you when through hell on earth to obtain a gift for someone you love and for them to turn around and offer money for it?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Some very faulty reasoning evidenced here, regarding God being perfect so we must be also.
God is omnicient. Must we be also?
God is omnipotent. Must we be also?
God is I AM. Must we be also?

Shall I go on?!!!

Then, there is much doctrine based upon this faulty premise. That's not good. If the foundation is wrong, the structure upon it MUST ALSO BE WRONG.

kestrel

Oct 8, 2008
He is saying that God is NOT a "being who is able to THINK and EXPRESS itself, having independent existence" as three. He is saying that God is one. That's it. If that be true, then it must be decried regarding there being 3 as God.

To be honest, I'm not yet sure of what's exactly his position.

I understand the feeling. Just two boring guys playing with the definition of some word instead of going to debate the topic. I dislike that too. To be very open I've been through internet debates of all sorts and I have very little hope in them. Specially when we go to dictionary definitions as such are not always appropiate to such a specific field as Christology. Yet here, the concept person was developed by Boethius precisely to, however imperfectly, be able to say something about the nature of God. The modern sense of human being was developed much later.

I'm aware that God cannot be constrained by a human definition in human language. What's more both Levinas and Buber proved without the shadow of a doubt that not even a human soul can be reduced to concepts or ideas. But unfortunately, we only have the tools of human reason and language to be able to express anything.

So the question is unavoidable. If (I honestly don't know) Benoni agrees that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are A) BEING and B) ABLE TO THINK and C) OF INDEPENDENT EXISTENCE then we could move to some other matter.

The church does not use it as a model: it uses it as the definition of the Godhead. I hold that the bible gives it's own true models of God. I also hold that it is applicable and prudent for us to take those models and fit our understanding of God into them, else why on earth did God give them to us in the first place? Pretty simple logic on that one. So, for starters on this topic, can anyone here give some of the models in the scriptures that God has EXPRESSLY stated are models of God's being? Once that is done, there are those models in the Word that are not expressly stated to be so, but are given as such. Can anyone here give some of those models?

It would be downright foolish to bring forth from the Word that which we consider models of God, that are not expressly stated to be such, at the outset, as that is trying to understand quantum physics in order to understand high school physics --- totally backwards and with the overwhelming propensity to come to very erroneous and completely non-functional conclusions. So let's start with the clearly stated, then progress to the examples given otherwise, and then go to the passages that would rely solely upon spiritual wisdom/insight based upon a mature, solid understanding of the Word in the other types given.

Anybody wth me on this?

Some of your questions would need books to be properly addressed. :)

As for definitions, I hold that they can't be anything but models, approximations that can never totally define God.

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
It's not how I WANT to define anything, the problem is that you have no idea of what person means in theology. Sorry to be blunt, but you persist in your mistake but saying that "God is a spirit not a person or three persons". You can be both a person and a spirit. A Person is (again) any being who is able to THINK and EXPRESS itself, having independent existence.

Where do you get thei "person"? It is not a matter of theology, there are ten thousand theologial mindsets, it is a matter of God's Word. I never said God is a person, three persons, that is your assumption based on man made theology and not God's Divine Word.

kestrel

Oct 8, 2008
Where do you get thei "person"? It is not a matter of theology, there are ten thousand theologial mindsets, it is a matter of God's Word. I never said God is a person, three persons, that is your assumption based on man made theology and not God's Divine Word.

1. I don't know what you mean by thei "person" ¿?

2. However it was a Theologian (Boethius) who, in Greek, defined the word person, precisely to speak about the nature of God. Person as to meant human being came only much later.

3. I know you have never said that God is a person.

4. It's not my assumption. It is my opinion that the trinitarian model is the one which can better answer the question of how can God be one, and yet the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit be God.

5. One of those thousands of theologian mindsets is yours. Everybody looks at God from his own perspective. That is unavoidable.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, my definition of a person, of course, would go along the lines of the great mind of Jean-Luc Picard.
A "being" would be anything in any shape, size or FORM that can feel.
:)

Reactions: kestrel

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
God as a person,,,

God does have human qualities, such as strengths, and weaknesses, and emotion, and humor, and can think. However, since God has those qualities, that doesn't make him a "person" as in a human. It only makes sense that we have those qualities because that's the way God made us. We're created in His image. That doesn't just mean bodily form, but in function as well, head, body, arms, legs, fingers, feet. But, also, in the complexities of emotion, thought, personality, reasoning, humar, sadness, etc

But, to equate God with being a person or human as most people would understand the meanings of the words,, I don't think it right, because we have flaws, and our weaknesses our our downfall. God is perfect without flaw and without sin. God is also just and holy.

I think maybe we're splitting hairs, as a person doesn't mean human specificaly. Person means a seperate identity or entity.

We don't need books and books and ideas and pages to define any of this or to understand. The subject seems more complicated than it is.

kestrel

Oct 8, 2008
God as a person,,,

God does have human qualities, such as strengths, and weaknesses, and emotion, and humor, and can think. However, since God has those qualities, that doesn't make him a "person" as in a human. It only makes sense that we have those qualities because that's the way God made us. We're created in His image. That doesn't just mean bodily form, but in function as well, head, body, arms, legs, fingers, feet. But, also, in the complexities of emotion, thought, personality, reasoning, humar, sadness, etc

But, to equate God with being a person or human as most people would understand the meanings of the words,, I don't think it right, because we have flaws, and our weaknesses our our downfall. God is perfect without flaw and without sin. God is also just and holy.

I think maybe we're splitting hairs, as a person doesn't mean human specificaly. Person means a seperate identity or entity.

We don't need books and books and ideas and pages to define any of this or to understand. The subject seems more complicated than it is.

The concept "person" was first developed for God. Only later was applied to humans. Really.

From Wikipedia

Persons and personhood are also concepts used in the early Christian theological tradition, during the first centuries A.D. by the Church Fathers. The very concept of person (prosopon in Greek) was the result of a theological dispute, how God, according to the Christian (Orthodox) teaching, can be One and three at the same time. Further explication of the problem led to the formulation that there is one substance (or being) and three subsistences (hypostases): God Father, God Son and God Holy Spirit, but still just one God, not three. This theological concept of the person as something that has a specific identity and holds the fullness of being, was applied to the human being as well. The Church Fathers interpreted the "icon of God" in man as human ability to exist as a person, having his/her own unique identity in communion with other persons. Later in the West the concept was translated into Latin as persona and was explained by Boethius and St. Augustine as something characterized by rational capacities.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
I just read Hebrews 11 then straight into James . .. the message couldn't be clearer . .if you really have faith you will do what God tells you to do.

In this new testament age this means to obey the instructions to repent, be baptised and receive God's Spirit, as detailed in scripture and allow God's Spirit to minister top you and through you to build with that sort of church.

Any other faith may be well-meaning but is "dead" towards God.