Why I Am Catholic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CatholicCrusader

Jun 25, 2014
Jesus said his Church would be "the light of the world." This means his Church must be a visible organization. It must have characteristics that clearly identify it and that distinguish it from other churches. Jesus promised, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.

Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. Some even began during your own lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.

The Catholic Church has existed for nearly 2,000 years, despite constant opposition from the world. This is testimony to the Church’s divine origin. Any merely human organization would have collapsed early on. The Catholic Church is today the most vigorous church in the world (and the largest, with over a billion members: one sixth of the human race), and that is testimony not to the cleverness of the Church’s leaders, but to the protection of the Holy Spirit.

FOUR MARKS OF THE TRUE CHURCH

If we wish to locate the Church founded by Jesus, we need to locate the one that has the four chief marks or qualities of his Church. The Church we seek must be one, holy, catholic, and apostolic.

The Church Is One (Rom. 12:5, 1 Cor. 10:17, 12:13)

Jesus established only one Church, not a collection of differing churches (Lutheran, Baptist, Anglican, and so on). The Bible says the Church is the bride of Christ (Eph. 5:23–32). Jesus can have but one spouse, and his spouse is the Catholic Church. His Church also teaches just one set of doctrines, which must be the same as those taught by the apostles (Jude 3). This is the unity of belief to which Scripture calls us (Phil. 1:27, 2:2). Over the centuries, as doctrines are examined more fully, the Church comes to understand them more deeply (John 16:12–13), but it never understands them to mean the opposite of what they once meant.

The Church Is Holy (Eph. 5:25–27, Rev. 19:7–8)

By his grace Jesus makes the Church holy, just as he is holy. This doesn’t mean that each member is always holy. Jesus said there would be both good and bad members in the Church (John 6:70), and not all the members would go to heaven (Matt. 7:21–23). But the Church itself is holy because it is the source of holiness and is the guardian of the special means of grace Jesus established, the sacraments (cf. Eph. 5:26).

The Church Is Catholic (Matt. 28:19–20, Rev. 5:9–10)

Jesus’ Church is called catholic ("universal" in Greek) because it is his gift to all people. He told his apostles to go throughout the world and make disciples of "all nations" (Matt. 28:19–20). For 2,000 years the Catholic Church has carried out this mission, preaching the good news that Christ died for all men and that he wants all of us to be members of his universal family (Gal. 3:28). Nowadays the Catholic Church is found in every country of the world and is still sending out missionaries to "make disciples of all nations" (Matt. 28:19).

The Church Jesus established was known by its most common title, "the Catholic Church," at least as early as the year 107, when Ignatius of Antioch used that title to describe the one Church Jesus founded. The title apparently was old in Ignatius’s time, which means it probably went all the way back to the time of the apostles.

The Church Is Apostolic (Eph. 2:19–20, CCC 857–865)

The Church Jesus founded is apostolic because he appointed the apostles to be the first leaders of the Church, and their successors were to be its future leaders. The apostles were the first bishops, and, since the first century, there has been an unbroken line of Catholic bishops faithfully handing on what the apostles taught the first Christians in Scripture and oral Tradition (2 Tim. 2:2). These beliefs include the bodily Resurrection of Jesus, the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, the sacrificial nature of the Mass, the forgiveness of sins through a priest, baptismal regeneration, the existence of purgatory, Mary’s special role, and much more —even the doctrine of apostolic succession itself. Early Christian writings prove the first Christians were thoroughly Catholic in belief and practice and looked to the successors of the apostles as their leaders. What these first Christians believed is still believed by the Catholic Church. No other Church can make that claim.

Man’s ingenuity cannot account for this. The Church has remained one, holy, catholic, and apostolic—not through man’s effort, but because God preserves the Church he established (Matt. 16:18, 28:20).

He guided the Israelites on their escape from Egypt by giving them a pillar of fire to light their way across the dark wilderness (Exod. 13:21). Today he guides us through his Catholic Church.

The Bible, sacred Tradition, and the writings of the earliest Christians testify that the Church teaches with Jesus’ authority. In this age of countless competing religions, each clamoring for attention, one voice rises above the din: the Catholic Church, which the Bible calls "the pillar and foundation of truth" (1 Tim. 3:15).

Jesus assured the apostles and their successors, the popes and the bishops, "He who listens to you listens to me, and he who rejects you rejects me" (Luke 10:16). Jesus promised to guide his Church into all truth (John 16:12–13). We can have confidence that his Church teaches only the truth.

THE STRUCTURE OF THE CHURCH

Jesus chose the apostles to be the earthly leaders of the Church. He gave them his own authority to teach and to govern—not as dictators, but as loving pastors and fathers. That is why Catholics call their spiritual leaders "father." In doing so we follow Paul’s example: "I became your father in Jesus Christ through the gospel" (1 Cor. 4:15).

The apostles, fulfilling Jesus’ will, ordained bishops, priests, and deacons and thus handed on their apostolic ministry to them—the fullest degree of ordination to the bishops, lesser degrees to the priests and deacons

============
Post adapted from this source: http://www.catholic.com/documents/pillar-of-fire-pillar-of-truth

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
I like this catholic...................but I could give ya a million reasons why i'm not a catholic..........
Actually wrote a book about it.
But I know a lot of charismatic Cathloics.........................HOT ON FIRE FOR CHRIST...speak in tongues, be slain in the spirit, cast out demons, heal the sick....and bring many to the Lord. But remember...Jesus could care less what we call ourselves.

And remember this.........I"M ON YOUR SIDE!!!!!

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
Catholic Crusader

Your post is full of errors (and you know it) , you have a billion "of your own" in the world , we are not interested in your Pope , we have Jesus Christ , who is freely available to anyone , regardless of what the Vatican thinks.

Remove from this world every single catholic building , the Vatican , the popes and bishops and cardinals and preistophiles , the robes and golden candlesticks and icons and religiosity and statues of Mary ..... and guess what ....

- Jesus Christ's Church will still remain

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
But...WAIT!!!!!!!...i have read some of CatholicCrusaders posts...............And my feathers remain at my side.
She has made a lot of sense.............not all catholics are alike.................i can attest to that......in my last post.....

And I have read a lot of your posts as well....Martin W. and that was not something I would have thought you would have said.
no more candy bars for you :)

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
RANDOR said:
But...WAIT!!!!!!!...i have read some of CatholicCrusaders posts...............And my feathers remain at my side.
She has made a lot of sense.............not all catholics are alike.................i can attest to that......in my last post.....

And I have read a lot of your posts as well....Martin W. and that was not something I would have thought you would have said.
no more candy bars for you :)
Maybe you didn't understand ...

Every christian on earth belongs to Jesus' church

It is not exclusive to Catholics like they proclaim

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
I love how these guys join the forum and straight away lay in the boot.

1 Corinthians 15:9
For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Paul persecuted a very different "Catholic" Church in AD 33- 34, hardly likened to the church you speak of. Even the Church of the time of his apostles bare little to no resemblance.

B

brakelite

First, there are many Christians in every church, both Protestant and Catholic. There are also many members in every church, both Protestant and Catholic, who will never see the kingdom of heaven. They do not know Christ. I do not know ChristianCrusader, I do not judge any individual, whatever church they belong to, only God reads the heart and judges accordingly. Judges not on the basis of church membership, but on the basis of knowing Him.

That said, there is much misunderstanding of Catholic teaching, even within Catholicism. I grew up Catholic. Until the age of 24 I would have claimed as ChristianCriusader, and likely given the same reasons. However, since receiving Christ and being exposed to truth, there are some things I have learned, some hard to take, some very difficult to digest. Church history (very rarely fully known by the vast majority of Catholics), and church dogma, (misunderstood and largely unknown by many Catholics) and a broader appreciation and education with regard these two vital subjects has given me great pause, reluctance, and sincere reflection as to whether the Catholic Church can even be considered 'Christian'. I believe sincerely that those within her ranks that are truly Christian, are so not because of their church, but despite it.

The dark side of Catholic church history was not an aberration or a characteristic of the times. It was not something that merely reflected the corrupt ideas of a few misguided individuals in the church. No, no. The persecutions, the inquisitions, the wars she fought and/or instigated, the assasinations, the acts of terror, the ongoing slaughter of any and all who would dare choose to believe other than what she demanded, the anathemas and papal bulls and excommunications of entire nations and individuals and the open war she waged against any who would dare to believe they were entitled to believe according to their conscience as opposed to Roman dogma, were not mistakes, or extreme thought now rejected by the modern Curia, but rather those practices, one and all, were wholly representative of the policy, belief, and practice of the church hierarchy, its priests and orders and that policy and belief is still entrenched policy, sealed under the concrete vault of Vatican or papal infallibility.

John Nuehaus said...Why does the Catholic church not recant what was said by Trent? ....(The council of Trent was established to counter the Portestant reformation, in particular the Protestant tenet of sola scriptura) ....Because it is Catholic teaching that a council teaches authoritibely, and the church is not authorized to repudiate retrospectively a conciliar decree.

Every principle of the papacy that existed in past ages exists today. The doctrines devised in the darkest ages are still held. The laws, canons, and variuous and numerous decrees which vaunted the papal power's presumed authority to torture, to wage war, and to destroy all who dare believe in their God-given right to freedom of conscience, wtill exist today. Not one has been abrogated or altered. Their own dogma of infallibilty forbids any change to that which has been formerly legislated as articles in th ecanons and dogmas of the church. The inquisition, torture, and burning of 'heretics' in past ages are still looked upon by the ruling councils of Catholicism as justifiable, lawful, and necessary.

"The absurd and erroneous doctrines or ravings in defense of the liberty of conscience are a most pestilential error- a pest of all others most to be dreaded in a state." Pius 1X 1854.

When President Obama visits the Vatican next, perhaps he should be reminded of the above quote and what it could mean for America should Catholicism gain the ear of government. It would be well for all Americans to note that Francis 1 is due next year to address the combined legislative assembly.

"The state has not the right to leave every man free to embrace whatever religion he deem true...the church has the right to require that the Catholic religion shall be the only religion of the state to the exclusion of all others....let those who assert the liberty of conscience and religious worship...and as such that maintain that the church may not employ force,'let be anathema'". Same Pope, 1864.

On his last tour of Poland in 1987, Pope John Paul 11 (now saint John Paul) denounced excessive materialism and the seperation of church and state. Prior to this in 1963 a Catholic journal 'Catholic News' in an editorial said quote: I want to hear some American stand up and shout " give us justice, give us decency, and to hell with the constitution." Interesting that the majority of members on the Supreme Court are Catholic. How long till America is no longer Proetstant?

"The best way to honour Pope John Paul 11, truly one of the great men, is to take his teaching seriously; is to listen to his words and put his words into action here inAmerica. This is a challenge we must accept. But you know something about our country? With the right focus and the right leadership, its a challenge this nation will accept."
George W Bush 2001.

"Familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage and you prepare your own limbs to wear them. Accustomed to trample upon the rights of others, you have lost the genius of your own independence, and become fit slaves of the first cunning tyrant who rises among you."
Abraham Lincoln. 1858

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
The Catholics also think they are Israel , you would not expect infallible popes would make such an error

In fairness Luther carried over that error too , so there are some Protestants who think they are Israel

Peter was not a pope and Peter was not a rock

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
There is also [SIZE=11pt]Ecumenism [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]as a source of theology;[/SIZE]
Are you aware of the 2nd Vatican Council (1962 – 1965) which opened Roman Catholicism to all sorts of new influences.
The second half of the 20th century saw ecumenical conversations between Catholic and Protestant and among different Protestant denominations. Among Protestants and even Catholics labels such as Liberal, Conservative and evangelical have come to be more important than Baptist or Lutheran. To the point where conservative or liberal Presbyterians will feel that they have a lot more in common with conservative or liberal Methodists or even Catholics than with the opposing party with in their own denomination.
Resourced from: (Placher, W.C. (ed) (2003). Essentials of Christian Theology)

1 Corinthians 1:10-13, 17
10. I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.”
Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? (insert Peter or the Pope)

17. For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

babylonisfalling

Jun 28, 2014
To all Catholics...please don't assume that all non Catholics are anti Catholic. This thread gives the wrong impression of non Catholics. Anti Catholics do NOT represent non Catholic Christianity

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Catholic Crusader,

It's me, saintmichaeldefendthem. I haven't seen you in years! Great to see you again.

babylonisfalling said:
To all Catholics...please don't assume that all non Catholics are anti Catholic. This thread gives the wrong impression of non Catholics. Anti Catholics do NOT represent non Catholic Christianity
This is correct. And in fact I've found that the more fervently in love one is with Jesus, the less likely they're going to attack Catholics who share that love. It's been my experience that those who are vicious toward Catholics have a distance in their walk with the Lord. All you have to do is ask them, "Did Jesus tell you to call the Catholic Church the idolatrous whore of Babylon?" The answer is obvious and the question itself causes conviction. Those who love Christ recognize that same love in others and don't attack them.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
This Vale Of Tears said:
Catholic Crusader,

It's me, saintmichaeldefendthem. I haven't seen you in years! Great to see you again.

This is correct. And in fact I've found that the more fervently in love one is with Jesus, the less likely they're going to attack Catholics who share that love. It's been my experience that those who are vicious toward Catholics have a distance in their walk with the Lord. All you have to do is ask them, "Did Jesus tell you to call the Catholic Church the idolatrous whore of Babylon?" The answer is obvious and the question itself causes conviction. Those who love Christ recognize that same love in others and don't attack them.
I agree...1111111111111111111111111111110000000000000000000000000000000000%

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, while I disagree with crucial Catholic dogma and theology, I think we're coming to the point where the division that separates us is closing up a bit. We no longer have the luxuries of the smallest of the doctrinal differences to argue about, as larger issues related to life, faith, and freedom of faith take up the most energy.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
HammerStone said:
Well, while I disagree with crucial Catholic dogma and theology, I think we're coming to the point where the division that separates us is closing up a bit. We no longer have the luxuries of the smallest of the doctrinal differences to argue about, as larger issues related to life, faith, and freedom of faith take up the most energy.
I would like to see Catholics and Protestants come back together on the issue of contraceptives. We used to be allies on this issue, but then many mainline Protestant denominations fell away from opposing it beginning with the 1930 Anglican Lambeth Conference. I believe that worlds of evil have resulted from a lax attitude toward contraceptives including the many Catholics who use them and should know better. It used to be that God did our "family planning" and we had huge families of 7,8 kids or more. But now we prevent children from being born that God intended to bring into the world. And that's just the beginning of the wellspring of evil brought about by contraceptive use.

DanielGarneau

Apr 19, 2014
Quebec City, Province of Quebec, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello Catholic Crusader,

You told us why you are a Roman Catholic by summarizing a statement with which you agree. Now my understanding of christianity is not based on what organization one belongs to, but on the kind of relationship one has with Jesus Christ.

If you read carefully the entire Bible you will find that even if one was part of the right institution (Juda, Israel, the Church), this was not what God was looking for. He wanted hearts that belonged to Him, he wanted people that trusted Him on an individual basis. So please provide us with some sort of a personal testimony about your faith in Christ.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
DanielGarneau said:
Hello Catholic Crusader,

You told us why you are a Roman Catholic by summarizing a statement with which you agree. Now my understanding of christianity is not based on what organization one belongs to, but on the kind of relationship one has with Jesus Christ.

If you read carefully the entire Bible you will find that even if one was part of the right institution (Juda, Israel, the Church), this was not what God was looking for. He wanted hearts that belonged to Him, he wanted people that trusted Him on an individual basis. So please provide us with some sort of a personal testimony about your faith in Christ.
The same could be asked of you. I don't expect anyone to bare their souls on the internet. This is a discussion forum and it's publicly displayed. I hold back a lot of personal things about my life and my family, not because I don't trust you.....

Well, yes, it's because I don't trust you. Nor do I have a reason to.

DanielGarneau

Apr 19, 2014
Quebec City, Province of Quebec, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello IP,

May be you missed the central point of my question in post # 18 above. Being a Christian is not about what organization you belong to. Being a member of the Jewish people did not guarantee entering into God's rest. It was personal faith in God that did, way back from the Old Testament days. This is also true of the New Testament. So it is interesting for anyone of us to be able to defend the Church organization we belong to, but belonging to the right organization or not does not determine whether one belongs to God. So, what I am suggesting in my post #18 is simply that CC would tell us what Christianity means to him in personal terms. I meant no offence, and did not ask for personal details.

As I see it, my question to CC is a very crucial one in light of the position he is presenting in post # 1 of this thread. My wife and I were both Roman Catholics, having both been baptized a few days after we were born. This was then considered to be the entranceway to the Church and to salvation. When we grew up and became adult, never did anyone encourage us to read the Bible for ourselves. These were the days before Vatican II opened up a little bit for Roman Catholic belivers to read the Bible for themselves. But in fact, locally, in the Province of Quebec, Canada, where I was raised and where I now live, in those years, it was forbidden to read the Bible if you were a Roman Catholic. Apparently there was a provision made by the pope that the religious authorities could allow or not allow reading of the Bible depending on what they felt was best for their flock. Here, religious authorities believed people would not be able to understand what the Bible talked about, so they forbid it.

When my wife grew up, she asked questions to her local priests about very specific issues of what Christianity thought. She received some vague answers that did not satisfy her at all. Eventually she began reading the Bible for herself, met some evangelical Christian that were active in our area, checked everything they said agaisnt what she could read for herself in the Bible. Eventually she understood that Jesus Christ had died for her sin so that she could know now that she belonged to God and would spend eternity with Him.

My story is a little different. I turned away from any form of Christianity for a number of years, as soon as I became a young adult. But, travelling in other parts of Canada, I met some evangelical Christians who showed me Bible passages mentioning truths I had never heard of before from within the Roman Catholic church I had been raised in. The Bible being the Word of God as it says it is (2 Tim 3:16), I used it as a basis to find answers about God, about what He wanted of me, about His ways for me to be saved.

Now all this occured because believers in Christ's were willing to share their faith with me. I don't even know what specific Church many of them were from, because it was not mentionned. But they did belong to the Universal Church of Christ who is made of God's people in the various Christian institutions there are now in the world. I never considered that I was tied to any one organization or denomination in particular, although I have belonged and still belong to visible incarnations of Christ's universal Church, which can be called catholic, but which should not be confused with Roman Catholicism. True believers that belong to the Roman Catholic church are members of the Universal Church of Christ. They may not feel comfortable about sharing their personal faith with others, but they should be able to do so if they think it through.

So, my inviting CC to share his personal testimony could help him deepen his own understanding of how he has appropriated for himself the teaching of Christianity through his institution or otherwise.

God bless all of us with His grace,
for salvation and
for how we express ourselves towards one another,
as we share our convictions on deeply felt issues...

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
DanielGarneau said:
Hello IP,

May be you missed the central point of my question in post # 18 above. Being a Christian is not about what organization you belong to. Being a member of the Jewish people did not guarantee entering into God's rest. It was personal faith in God that did, way back from the Old Testament days. This is also true of the New Testament. So it is interesting for anyone of us to be able to defend the Church organization we belong to, but belonging to the right organization or not does not determine whether one belongs to God. So, what I am suggesting in my post #18 is simply that CC would tell us what Christianity means to him in personal terms. I meant no offence, and did not ask for personal details.

As I see it, my question to CC is a very crucial one in light of the position he is presenting in post # 1 of this thread. My wife and I were both Roman Catholics, having both been baptized a few days after we were born. This was then considered to be the entranceway to the Church and to salvation. When we grew up and became adult, never did anyone encourage us to read the Bible for ourselves. These were the days before Vatican II opened up a little bit for Roman Catholic belivers to read the Bible for themselves. But in fact, locally, in the Province of Quebec, Canada, where I was raised and where I now live, in those years, it was forbidden to read the Bible if you were a Roman Catholic. Apparently there was a provision made by the pope that the religious authorities could allow or not allow reading of the Bible depending on what they felt was best for their flock. Here, religious authorities believed people would not be able to understand what the Bible talked about, so they forbid it.

When my wife grew up, she asked questions to her local priests about very specific issues of what Christianity thought. She received some vague answers that did not satisfy her at all. Eventually she began reading the Bible for herself, met some evangelical Christian that were active in our area, checked everything they said agaisnt what she could read for herself in the Bible. Eventually she understood that Jesus Christ had died for her sin so that she could know now that she belonged to God and would spend eternity with Him.

My story is a little different. I turned away from any form of Christianity for a number of years, as soon as I became a young adult. But, travelling in other parts of Canada, I met some evangelical Christians who showed me Bible passages mentioning truths I had never heard of before from within the Roman Catholic church I had been raised in. The Bible being the Word of God as it says it is (2 Tim 3:16), I used it as a basis to find answers about God, about what He wanted of me, about His ways for me to be saved.

Now all this occured because believers in Christ's were willing to share their faith with me. I don't even know what specific Church many of them were from, because it was not mentionned. But they did belong to the Universal Church of Christ who is made of God's people in the various Christian institutions there are now in the world. I never considered that I was tied to any one organization or denomination in particular, although I have belonged and still belong to visible incarnations of Christ's universal Church, which can be called catholic, but which should not be confused with Roman Catholicism. True believers that belong to the Roman Catholic church are members of the Universal Church of Christ. They may not feel comfortable about sharing their personal faith with others, but they should be able to do so if they think it through.

So, my inviting CC to share his personal testimony could help him deepen his own understanding of how he has appropriated for himself the teaching of Christianity through his institution or otherwise.

God bless all of us with His grace,
for salvation and
for how we express ourselves towards one another,
as we share our convictions on deeply felt issues...
1. I didn't miss your point at all, but apparently you missed mine. You ask perfect strangers on the internet to get personal with you and you don't see anything inappropriate about that.

2. I don't believe your story. The Catholic Church has never forbidden the reading of the Holy Scriptures. In centuries past, the only restriction was requiring an imprimatur from the bishop before making a copy of it, to ensure that errors were not made. But even before the days when a Bible didn't cost more than a house, people had pages of scripture that they would circulate among themselves, Psalms and parts of the gospel, etc. The accusation that the Catholic Church has kept the Bible from being read is one of the most outrageous smears concocted by the haters of the Catholic Church, of whom you are clearly one.

3. The author of the OP pasted this from some site and then abandoned the thread, and the site. I thought he was an old friend but now I'm having my doubts. Don't waste any time trying to engage him, he's not here.