WHY I COULD NEVER CHOOSE TO BE A PROTESTANT. (one stupid thread title is as good as another)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Catholic' as referring to the Roman Church is the 'fictitious' term. Catholic refers to the entire Church of Jesus Christ.

Stranger
WRONG.
You keep spouting off about that but the historical truth is that the Catholic Church of today with the Pope as earthly head goes ALL the way back to the Apostles.

You can whine and moan about it all day long - but you can't show me ONE shred of evidence that we are NOT that Catholic Church. There is only ONE.

YOU
belong to one of tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually splintering sects that broke off from that ONE Church - and that is historically accurate. I will go toe-to-toe with you down the centuries of history to prove it. I would LOVE for YOU to try the same.

Sorry
Stranger - but the truth hurts sometimes . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Catholic' as referring to the Roman Church is the 'fictitious' term. Catholic refers to the entire Church of Jesus Christ.
Stranger
You can't be PART of something that you reject.
The Church is ONE - not splintered into tens of thousands of disjointed factions that ALL teach different doctrines while ALL claiming to have the "Truth." God is NOT the author of confusion and opposing doctrines.

Here is a short list of opposing ESSENTIAL doctrines within Protestantism.
YOU tell me who is right - and who is wrong . . .
Some Protestant denominations believe in baptismal regeneration, while others do not.
Some believe in soul-sleep, while others do not.
Some believe in the total depravity of man, while others do not.
Some believe in the Holy Trinity, while others do not.
Some believe in doctrine of “once saved, always saved”, while others do not.
Some believe in a pre-tribulation “Rapture”, while others do not.
Some believe that only those who were predestined will make it to heaven, while others do not.
Some believe that some were predestined for hell, while others do not.
Some believe in a woman’s right to choose abortion, while others do not.
Some believe that practicing homosexuality is a sin, while others do not.
Most believe in contraception, while others do not – and the list goes on.

If YOU believe that they ALL got these opposing teachings from the Holy Spirit - then you DON'T know the Lord . . .

Reactions: Triumph1300

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.
You keep spouting off about that but the historical truth is that the Catholic Church of today with the Pope as earthly head goes ALL the way back to the Apostles.

You can whine and moan about it all day long - but you can't show me ONE shred of evidence that we are NOT that Catholic Church. There is only ONE.

YOU
belong to one of tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually splintering sects that broke off from that ONE Church - and that is historically accurate. I will go toe-to-toe with you down the centuries of history to prove it. I would LOVE for YOU to try the same.

Sorry
Stranger - but the truth hurts sometimes . . .

Just keep holding up that cracker without any wine to wash it down with. That way your congregation can choke on it.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just keep holding up that cracker without any wine to wash it down with. That way your congregation can choke on it.

Stranger
In other words, you're completely unequipped to have a serious debate about the historical implications of who and what the Catholic Church is.
If you can't discuss it - just say so . . .

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words, you're completely unequipped to have a serious debate about the historical implications of who and what the Catholic Church is.
If you can't discuss it - just say so . . .

We have had this discussion many times. You just needed to start something with me after you baled from the Lords Supper debate. Let it go. Keep offering that cracker without wine and choking your parishoners.

Stranger

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whenever the anti-Catholic is at a loss, they just resort to flaming zingers. They don't know when to shut up.
We have had this discussion many times. You just needed to start something with me after you baled from the Lords Supper debate. Let it go. Keep offering that cracker without wine and choking your parishoners.

Stranger
Your flaming zinger is based on ignorance and blind prejudice. You have been told many times that both Bread and Wine is offered to all, but you are just desperate to offend. You are a prejudiced coward like phoney man.
This is supposed to be a forum of Christian discussion but ignorant anti-Catholic bigots want to make it a war zone with their stupid insults and flaming zingers. So be it.

Last edited:

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah yes, now the one by Dave Armstrong has worked now. But your words twinc jump right out of the truth with that easy declaration of blasphemy. I guess that you believe it, but many of us believe something else and what God does is weighs and ponders of our hearts rather than the doctrines we hold or the church with which we fellowship.

On the 150, I only read the very first one which is this:

"1. Best One-Sentence Summary: I am convinced that the Catholic Church conforms much more closely to all of the biblical data, offers the only coherent view of the history of Christianity (i.e., Christian, apostolic Tradition), and possesses the most profound and sublime Christian morality, spirituality, social ethic, and philosophy."

That to me is a mere statement of man's rationale which was never what Jesus taught or lived when he lived as a man on planet Earth being tempted by all the temptations of man.

If all I had was the teachings of the CC and my brain to logically consider, I guess I could have written such a statement myself at one time. But teachings [even correct ones] and study of good things without the Holy Spirit leading would still only have resulted for me in a weariness of the flesh. I speak for no other man although I suspect that others understand my experience.

But I have met the Master and His Holy Spirit has filled me and has been teaching me. This last is not a mere desire but an experience which has changed me since I walked away from Catholicism.... Since then I have been seeking His face and following the lead of His Spirit. I do have a vision which now grows clearer as my walk continues and I approach the face to face. Never did I even have a distant vision of what I have now when I was a sincerely devout Catholic. I am not saying what I had was evil, but the light that I had then was darkness compared to the Light in which I now walk.

Give God the glory!

Jesus came to bring Life and I am no longer a dead man. That did not happen until I had walked away from the CC and into His arms. As a Catholic I was hungry and thirsty for His righteousness, but until I was drawn into Him, the hunger was not sated nor the thirst quenched.

This is why I could never again be a Catholic. God has called me to elsewhere and I am following His call.

Indeed, give God the glory!

This could be my story as well. I felt dry and dead inside and always under guilt being raised Catholic. I am now free indeed!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some Protestant denominations believe in baptismal regeneration, while others do not.
Some believe in soul-sleep, while others do not.
Some believe in the total depravity of man, while others do not.
Some believe in the Holy Trinity, while others do not.
Some believe in doctrine of “once saved, always saved”, while others do not.
Some believe in a pre-tribulation “Rapture”, while others do not.
Some believe that only those who were predestined will make it to heaven, while others do not.
Some believe that some were predestined for hell, while others do not.
Some believe in a woman’s right to choose abortion, while others do not.
Some believe that practicing homosexuality is a sin, while others do not.
Most believe in contraception, while others do not – and the list goes on.

You are right. You posted the truth.

You know what gets to me watching these discussions with BOL?
It's the fact that a lot of times he posts the truth.
Yet none of you folks will point that out or "like" what he said.

Some of you are in total "attack mood" and don't even see that some posts are dead on the mark.
So sad.

I'm not in agreement with Catholic doctrine in general.
But when the truth is posted it should be "liked" as far as I'm concerned

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
By Amadeus: This is why I could never again be a Catholic. God has called me to elsewhere and I am following His call.

For that same reason I could not stay in the Dutch Reformed Church or in the Baptist Church. :)

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This could be my story as well. I felt dry and dead inside and always under guilt being raised Catholic. I am now free indeed!
You have no coherent view of history, so you are forced to accept inventions. If you were properly catechized, you would have no quilt. Rejecting Jesus in the Eucharist is not freedom, you simply bought into Protestantism. Being Catholic by inertia or ethnicity is not really being Catholic (your own brand of deadness), but being Catholic by practice is altogether different. I say you were never truly Catholic to begin with, and now you blame your deadness on the Church.
Were the thousands of Protestants who converted to Catholicism all dead to Protestantism? No, they were not. If you look, you will see they don't need to bad mouth their former church.
Catholic Conversion Stories - The Coming Home Network

There is a reason why ex-Catholics become anti-Catholics, it has to do with indoctrination.

Last edited:

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are right. You posted the truth.

You know what gets to me watching these discussions with BOL?
It's the fact that a lot of times he posts the truth.
Yet none of you folks will point that out or "like" what he said.

Some of you are in total "attack mood" and don't even see that some posts are dead on the mark.
So sad.

I'm not in agreement with Catholic doctrine in general.
But when the truth is posted it should be "liked" as far as I'm concerned
Truth doesn't depend on who writes it. Truth stands on its own merits or it's not truth.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have no coherent view of history, so you are forced to accept inventions. If you were properly catechized, you would have no quilt. Rejecting Jesus in the Eucharist is not freedom, you simply bought into Protestantism. Being Catholic by inertia or ethnicity is not really being Catholic (your own brand of deadness), but being Catholic by practice is altogether different. I say you were never truly Catholic to begin with, and now you blame your deadness on the Church.
Were the thousands of Protestants who converted to Catholicism all dead to Protestantism? No, they were not. If you look, you will see they don't need to bad mouth their former church.
Catholic Conversion Stories - The Coming Home Network

There is a reason why ex-Catholics become anti-Catholics, it has to do with indoctrination.

I am sorry Epistle, I meant no "bad mouthing"! My wonderful Grandmother was a devout Catholic her whole life, and I totally expect to see her in Heaven. And, not because she belonged to ANY certain denomination, but because she exhibited every single fruit of the Spirit and thoroughly believed in the core Christian beliefs. My personal experience is just that I was not getting fed and taught the Word of God. I liken myself to belonging to Church WITHOUT Religion...I attend services and totally enjoy our worship and am learning so much. Fellowship is wonderful where I go and I have no denomination. Jesus plus nothing.
Please do not take what I said personally because it was so not meant to be a bash.
-nancy

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am sorry Epistle, I meant no "bad mouthing"! My wonderful Grandmother was a devout Catholic her whole life, and I totally expect to see her in Heaven. And, not because she belonged to ANY certain denomination, but because she exhibited every single fruit of the Spirit and thoroughly believed in the core Christian beliefs. My personal experience is just that I was not getting fed and taught the Word of God. I liken myself to belonging to Church WITHOUT Religion...I attend services and totally enjoy our worship and am learning so much. Fellowship is wonderful where I go and I have no denomination. Jesus plus nothing.
Please do not take what I said personally because it was so not meant to be a bash.
-nancy
You should know as well as I do there is more "Bible" read aloud in a single Mass than a month of Protestant services. I've been in all kinds of Protestant services and there is rarely any order to the scripture readings, so forgive me if I find your testimony full of holes.
A one sentence summary was never intended to be a comprehensive treatise, so pulling it in so many directions is hardly fair.

2. Alternate: I am a Catholic because I sincerely believe, by virtue of much cumulative evidence, that Catholicism is true, and that the Catholic Church is the visible Church divinely-established by our Lord Jesus, against which the gates of hell cannot and will not prevail (Mt 16:18), thereby possessing an authority to which I feel bound in Christian duty to submit.

3. 2nd Alternate: I left Protestantism because it was seriously deficient in its interpretation of the Bible (e.g., "faith alone" and many other "Catholic" doctrines - see evidences below), inconsistently selective in its espousal of various Catholic Traditions (e.g., the Canon of the Bible), inadequate in its ecclesiology, lacking a sensible view of Christian history (e.g., "Scripture alone"), compromised morally (e.g., contraception, divorce), and unbiblically schismatic, anarchical, and relativistic. I don't therefore believe that Protestantism is all bad (not by a long shot), but these are some of the major deficiencies I eventually saw as fatal to the "theory" of Protestantism, over against Catholicism. All Catholics must regard baptized, Nicene, Chalcedonian Protestants as Christians.

4. Catholicism isn't formally divided and sectarian (Jn 17:20-23; Rom 16:17; 1 Cor 1:10-13).

5. Catholic unity makes Christianity and Jesus more believable to the world (Jn 17:23).

6. Catholicism, because of its unified, complete, fully supernatural Christian vision, mitigates against secularization and humanism.

7. Catholicism avoids an unbiblical individualism which undermines Christian community (e.g., 1 Cor 12:25-26).

8. Catholicism avoids theological relativism, by means of dogmatic certainty and the centrality of the papacy.

9. Catholicism avoids ecclesiological anarchism - one cannot merely jump to another denomination when some disciplinary measure or censure is called for.

10. Catholicism formally (although, sadly, not always in practice) prevents the theological relativism which leads to the uncertainties within the Protestant system among laypeople.

11. Catholicism rejects the "State Church," which has led to governments dominating Christianity rather than vice-versa.

12. Protestant State Churches greatly influenced the rise of nationalism, which mitigated against universal equality and Christian universalism (i.e., Catholicism).

13. Unified Catholic Christendom (before the 16th century) had not been plagued by the tragic religious wars which in turn led to the "Enlightenment," in which men rejected the hypocrisy of inter-Christian warfare and decided to become indifferent to religion rather than letting it guide their lives.

14. Catholicism retains the elements of mystery, supernatural, and the sacred in Christianity, thus opposing itself to secularization, where the sphere of the religious in life becomes greatly limited.

15. Protestant individualism led to the privatization of Christianity, whereby it is little respected in societal and political life, leaving the "public square" barren of Christian influence.

16. The secular false dichotomy of "church vs. world" has led committed orthodox Christians, by and large, to withdraw from politics, leaving a void filled by pagans, cynics, unscrupulous, and power-hungry. Catholicism offers a framework in which to approach the state and civic responsibility.

17. Protestantism leans too much on mere traditions of men (every denomination stems from one Founder's vision. As soon as two or more of these contradict each other, error is necessarily present).

18. Protestant churches (esp. evangelicals), are far too often guilty of putting their pastors on too high of a pedestal. In effect, every pastor becomes a "pope," to varying degrees (some are "super-popes"). Because of this, evangelical congregations often experience a severe crisis and/or split up when a pastor leaves, thus proving that their philosophy is overly man-centered, rather than God-centered.

19. Protestantism, due to lack of real authority and dogmatic structure, is tragically prone to accommodation to the spirit of the age, and moral faddism.

20. Catholicism retains apostolic succession, necessary to know what is true Christian apostolic Tradition. It was the criterion of Christian truth used by the early Christians.

21. Many Protestants take a dim view towards Christian history in general, esp. the years from 313 (Constantine's conversion) to 1517 (Luther's arrival). This ignorance and hostility to Catholic Tradition leads to theological relativism, anti-Catholicism, and a constant, unnecessary process of "reinventing the wheel."

22. Protestantism from its inception was anti-Catholic, and remains so to this day (esp. evangelicalism). This is obviously wrong and unbiblical if Catholicism is indeed Christian (if it isn't, then - logically - neither is Protestantism, which inherited the bulk of its theology from Catholicism). The Catholic Church, on the other hand, is not anti-Protestant.

23. The Catholic Church accepts the authority of the great Ecumenical Councils (see, e.g., Acts 15) which defined and developed Christian doctrine (much of which Protestantism also accepts).

24. Most Protestants do not have bishops, a Christian office which is biblical (1 Tim 3:1-2) and which has existed from the earliest Christian history and Tradition.

25. Protestantism has no way of settling doctrinal issues definitively. At best, the individual Protestant can only take a head count of how many Protestant scholars, commentators, etc. take such-and-such a view on Doctrine X, Y, or Z. There is no unified Protestant Tradition.

26. Protestantism arose in 1517, and is a "Johnny-come-lately" in the history of Christianity. Therefore it cannot possibly be the "restoration" of "pure", "primitive" Christianity, since this is ruled out by the fact of its absurdly late appearance. Christianity must have historic continuity or it is not Christianity. Protestantism is necessarily a "parasite" of Catholicism, historically and doctrinally speaking.

27. The Protestant notion of the "invisible church" is also novel in the history of Christianity and foreign to the Bible (Mt 5:14; Mt 16:18), therefore untrue.

28. When Protestant theologians speak of the teaching of early Christianity (e.g., when refuting "cults"), they say "the Church taught . . ." (as it was then unified), but when they refer to the present they instinctively and inconsistently refrain from such terminology, since universal teaching authority now clearly resides only in the Catholic Church.

29. The Protestant principle of private judgment has created a milieu (esp. in Protestant America) in which (invariably) man-centered "cults" such as Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormonism, and Christian Science arise. The very notion that one can "start" a new, or "the true" Church is Protestant to the core.

30. The lack of a definitive teaching authority in Protestant (as with the Catholic magisterium) makes many individual Protestants think that they have a direct line to God, notwithstanding all of Christian Tradition and the history of biblical exegesis (a "Bible, Holy Spirit and me" mentality). Such people are generally under-educated theologically, unteachable, lack humility, and have no business making presumed "infallible" statements about the nature of Christianity.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
31. Evangelicalism's "techniques" of evangelism are often contrived and manipulative, certainly not directly derived from the text of the Bible. Some even resemble brainwashing to a degree.

32. The gospel preached by many evangelical Protestant evangelists and pastors is a truncated and abridged, individualistic and ear-tickling gospel, in effect merely "fire insurance" rather than the biblical gospel as proclaimed by the Apostles.

33. Evangelicalism often separates profound, life-transforming repentance and radical discipleship from its gospel message. The Lutheran Bonhoeffer called this "cheap grace."

34. The absence of the idea of submission to spiritual authority in Protestantism has leaked over into the civic arena, where the ideas of personal "freedom," "rights," and "choice" now dominate to such an extent that civic duty, communitarianism, and discipline are tragically neglected, to the detriment of a healthy society.

35. Catholicism retains the sense of the sacred, the sublime, the holy, and the beautiful in spirituality. The ideas of altar, and "sacred space" are preserved. Many Protestant churches are no more than "meeting halls" or "gymnasiums" or "barn"-type structures. Most Protestants' homes are more esthetically striking than their churches. Likewise, Protestants are often "addicted to mediocrity" in their appreciation of art, music, architecture, drama, the imagination, etc.

36. Protestantism has largely neglected the place of liturgy in worship (with notable exceptions such as Anglicanism and Lutheranism). This is the way Christians had always worshiped down through the centuries, and thus can't be so lightly dismissed.

37. Protestantism tends to oppose matter and spirit, favoring the latter, and is somewhat Gnostic or Docetic in this regard.

38. Catholicism upholds the "incarnational principle," wherein Jesus became flesh and thus raised flesh and matter to new spiritual heights.

39. Protestantism greatly limits or disbelieves in sacramentalism, which is simply the extension of the incarnational principle and the belief that matter can convey grace. Some sects (e.g., Baptists, many Pentecostals) reject all sacraments.

40. Protestants' excessive mistrust of the flesh ("carnality") often leads to (in evangelicalism or fundamentalism) an absurd legalism (no dancing, drinking, card-playing, rock music, etc.).

41. Many Protestants tend to separate life into categories of "spiritual" and "carnal," as if God is not Lord of all of life. It forgets that all non-sinful endeavors are ultimately spiritual.

42. Protestantism has removed the Eucharist from the center and focus of Christian worship services. Some Protestants observe it only monthly, or even quarterly. This is against the Tradition of the early Church.

43. Most Protestants regard the Eucharist symbolically, which is contrary to universal Christian Tradition up to 1517, and the Bible (Mt 26:26-28; Jn 6:47-63; 1 Cor 10:14-22; 1 Cor 11:23-30), which hold to the Real Presence (another instance of the antipathy to matter).

44. Protestantism has virtually ceased to regard marriage as a sacrament, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Mt 19:4-5; 1 Cor 7:14; 1 Cor 7:39; Eph 5:25-33).

45. Protestantism has abolished the priesthood (Mt 18:18) and the sacrament of ordination, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Acts 6:6; Acts 14:22; 1 Tim 4:14; 2 Tim 1:6).

46. Catholicism retains the Pauline notion of the spiritual practicality of a celibate clergy (e.g., Mt 19:12, 1 Cor 7:8, 1 Cor 7:27, 1 Cor 7:32-33).

47. Protestantism has largely rejected the sacrament of confirmation (Acts 8:18, Heb 6:2-4), contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible.

48. Many Protestants have denied infant baptism, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Acts 2:38-39; Acts 16:15; Acts 16:33; Acts 18:8; 1 Cor 1:16; Col 2:11-12). Protestantism is divided into five major camps on the question of baptism.

49. The great majority of Protestants deny baptismal regeneration, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Mk 16:16; Jn 3:5; Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16; Rom 6:3-4; 1 Cor 6:11; Titus 3:5).

50. Protestants have rejected the sacrament of anointing of the sick (Extreme Unction / "Last Rites"), contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Mk 6:13; 1 Cor 12:9, 1 Cor 12:30; Jas 5:14-15).

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
51. Protestantism denies the indissolubility of sacramental marriage and allows divorce, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Gen 2:24; Mal 2:14-16; Mt 5:32; Mat 19:6, Mat 19:9; Mk 10:11-12; Lk 16:18; Rom 7:2-3; 1 Cor 7:10-14; 1 Cor 7:39).

52. Protestantism doesn't believe procreation to be the primary purpose and benefit of marriage (it isn't part of the vows, as in Catholic matrimony), contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Gen 1:28; Gen 28:3, Ps 107:38; Ps 127:3-5).

53. Protestantism sanctions contraception, in defiance of universal Christian Tradition (Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant) up until 1930 - when the Anglicans first allowed it - and the Bible (Gen 38:8-10; Gen 41:52; Ex 23:25-26; Lev 26:9; Deut 7:14; Ruth 4:13; Lk 1:24-25). Now, only Catholicism retains the ancient Tradition against the "anti-child" mentality.

54. Protestantism (mostly its liberal wing) has accepted abortion as a moral option, contrary to universal Christian Tradition until recently (sometime after 1930), and the Bible (e.g., Ex 20:13; Job 31:15; Ps 139:13-16; Isa 44:2; Isa 49:5; Jer 1:5; Jer 2:34; Lk 1:15; Lk 1:41; Rom 13:9-10).

55. Protestantism (largely liberal denominations) allow women pastors (and even bishops, as in Anglicanism), contrary to Christian Tradition (inc. traditional Protestant theology) and the Bible (Mt 10:1-4; 1 Tim 2:11-15; 1 Tim 3:1-12; Titus 1:6).

56. Protestantism is, more and more, formally and officially compromising with currently fashionable radical feminism, which denies the roles of men and women, as taught in the Bible (Gen 2:18-23; 1 Cor 11:3-10) and maintained by Christian Tradition (differentiation of roles, but not of equality).

57. Protestantism is also currently denying, with increasing frequency, the headship of the husband in marriage, which is based upon the headship of the Father over the Son (while equal in essence) in the Trinity, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (1 Cor 11:3; Eph 5:22-33; Col 3:18-19; 1 Pet 3:1-2). This too, is based on a relationship of equality (1 Cor 11:11-12; Gal 3:28; Eph 5:21).

58. Liberal Protestantism (most notably Anglicanism) has even ordained practicing homosexuals as pastors and blessed their "marriages," or taught that homosexuality is merely an involuntary, "alternate" lifestyle, contrary to formerly universal Christian Tradition, as the Bible clearly teaches (Gen 19:4-25; Rom 1:18-27; 1 Cor 6:9). Catholicism stands firm on traditional morality.

59. Liberal Protestantism, and evangelicalism increasingly, have accepted "higher critical" methods of biblical interpretation which lead to the destruction of the traditional Christian reverence for the Bible, and demote it to the status of largely a human, fallible document, to the detriment of its divine, infallible essence.

60. Many liberal Protestants have thrown out many cardinal doctrines of Christianity, such as the Incarnation, Virgin Birth, the Bodily Resurrection of Christ, the Trinity, Original Sin, hell, the existence of the devil, miracles, etc.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
61. The founders of Protestantism denied, and Calvinists today deny, the reality of human free will (Luther's favorite book was his Bondage of the Will). This is both contrary to the constant premise of the Bible, Christian Tradition, and common sense.

62. Classical Protestantism had a deficient view of the Fall of Man, thinking that the result was "total depravity." According to Luther, Zwingli, Calvin, and Calvinists, man could only do evil of his own volition, and had no free will to do good. He now has a "sin nature." Catholicism believes that, in a mysterious way, man cooperates with the grace which always precedes all good actions. In Catholicism, man's nature still retains some good, although he has a propensity to sin ("concupiscence").

63. Classical Protestantism, and Calvinism today, make God the author of evil. He supposedly wills that men do evil and violate His precepts without having any free will to do so. This is blasphemous, and turns God into a demon.

64. Accordingly (man having no free will), God, in classical Protestant and Calvinist thought, predestines men to hell, although they had no choice or say in the matter all along!

65. Classical Protestantism and Calvinism, teach falsely that Jesus died only for the elect (i.e., those who will make it to heaven).

66. Classical Protestantism (esp. Luther), and Calvinism, due to their false view of the Fall, deny the efficacy and capacity of human reason to know God to some extent (both sides agree that revelation and grace are also necessary), and oppose it to God and faith, contrary to Christian Tradition and the Bible (Mk 12:28; Lk 10:27; Jn 20:24-29; Acts 1:3; Acts 17:2, Acts 17:17, Acts 17:22-34; Acts 19:8). The best Protestant apologists today simply hearken back to the Catholic heritage of St. Aquinas, St. Augustine, and many other great thinkers.

67. Pentecostal or charismatic Protestantism places much too high an emphasis on spiritual experience, not balancing it properly with reason, the Bible, and Tradition (including the authority of the Church to pronounce on the validity of "private revelations").

68. Other Protestants (e.g., many Baptists) deny that spiritual gifts such as healing are present in the current age (supposedly they ceased with the apostles).

69. Protestantism has contradictory views of church government, or ecclesiology (episcopal, Presbyterian, congregational, or no collective authority at all), thus making discipline, unity and order impossible. Some sects even claim to have "apostles" or "prophets" among them, with all the accompanying abuses of authority resulting therefrom.

70. Protestantism (esp. evangelicalism) has an undue fascination for the "end of the world," which has led to unbiblical date-setting (Mt 24:30-44; Mt 25:13; Lk 12:39-40) and much human tragedy among those who are taken in by such false prophecies.

See 80 more reasons why I could never be a Protestant

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whenever the anti-Catholic is at a loss, they just resort to flaming zingers. They don't know when to shut up.

Your flaming zinger is based on ignorance and blind prejudice. You have been told many times that both Bread and Wine is offered to all, but you are just desperate to offend. You are a prejudiced coward like phoney man.
This is supposed to be a forum of Christian discussion but ignorant anti-Catholic bigots want to make it a war zone with their stupid insults and flaming zingers. So be it.

Yes, I have been lied to many times concerning the bread and wine. But, I get used to it.

Just because I am against the wrongs done in the Roman Church doesn't mean I am against the Roman church. She just needs to know her place and correct the errors in her doctrine. Of course that is not possible with people like you who simply are nothing but 'yes' men for the Roman church.

Have a little wine with that cracker. That's more than the Roman laity get.

Stranger

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, I have been lied to many times concerning the bread and wine. But, I get used to it.

Just because I am against the wrongs done in the Roman Church doesn't mean I am against the Roman church. She just needs to know her place and correct the errors in her doctrine. Of course that is not possible with people like you who simply are nothing but 'yes' men for the Roman church.

Have a little wine with that cracker. That's more than the Roman laity get.

Stranger

Another cowardly zinger from the peanut gallery.