WHY I COULD NEVER CHOOSE TO BE A PROTESTANT. (one stupid thread title is as good as another)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why remain loyal to an institution that claims its authority is ABOVE the very source from which they acknowledge their authority is derived?

"Sunday is our mark of authority...the (Catholic) church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact." Catholic Record, 1923

Such a statement can only be attributed to men who are blinded by the god of this world himself.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Why remain loyal to an institution that claims its authority is ABOVE the very source from which they acknowledge their authority is derived?

"Sunday is our mark of authority...the (Catholic) church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact." Catholic Record, 1923

Such a statement can only be attributed to men who are blinded by the god of this world himself.

in complete harmony and accord with"whatsoever thou shall bind or loosen shall be bound or loosen" - twinc

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in complete harmony and accord with"whatsoever thou shall bind or loosen shall be bound or loosen" - twinc

As a means of disciplining church members for the edification, maintenance of purity, and preservation of the institution as a whole, God granted His church the power of "binding and loosing" members. This power does not apply to the RCC because:

1. The RCC proves itself to be without Holy Spirit discernment by insisting that our Almighty God and Creator has subjugated Himself to the whims and desires of sinful, erring, Vatican homosexuals and pedophiles whose dress, customs, and rituals are lifted from the textbook pages of Paganism 101.

2. The RCC is an apostate organization which does not trace its roots to Christ, but to the period after Constantine legalized Christianity - when true Christians boldly stood against paganism at great peril to their own lives while their faithless counterparts cowered in fear in their "safe spaces", but shoved their way forward to the principal positions of authority to seize upon the advantages that state-sanctioned Christianity had to offer once Constantine's fagots and lion's jaws ceased to threaten anyone who professed loyalty to Christ. Paul the Apostle so often predicted this would happen after his death

3. The RCC claims this power is exclusive to leadership only, although Textus Receptus based New Testaments (KJV and pretty much all Protestant Bibles that existed before the 20th century) places leadership on equal footing with the laity in matters of church affairs.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He doesn't seem like the fearful type.
I have things I don't like about both Catholicism and Protestantism.
I'd like to hear what he has to say.

Me to!!
I still don't know what the "reasons" are. Not even one, let alone 150 of them!! lol

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
or you could do what Paul did, go and study on your own for three years first.
i guess no one ever gives this advice tho huh?
wonder why not

of course you gotta find Jesus hiding from the Two Greeks who came to worship Him on your own too, i guess

I Agree with that first statement, the second just gave me a laugh, as always Love ya Man, thanks

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that my friend...but I can't read the darn thing...it says "Not Available"

Lets forget the blinking Catholic vendetta and have some Protestant bashing instead...this whole Site is soaked in 'Catholic pro or con posts.' It leaks over into EVER thread...even if we talked about cheese buns...it would end up somehow being about Catholics.....
...people just can't help themselves :D
No wonder so many people have "left the stage" and we no longer see them..the "active" membership is getting less and less by the day. :(
I am amazed we still have as many active members as we do!
So, have at it bro...I am listening. :D

Yes last year I faithfully went to the Library to use the Internet just to come aboard, and interact, the problem with the Library here is that the young people, are out of school, so they take over all the Computers to play game's and they talk back and forth, loudly!! So even with my fixed income I decided to get Internet service, again to be able to join in with other believer's. Now as you say, there is very little to interact with or about. I have my opinion about the Catholic Church!! and I also have My opinion about the rest of the over 40,000 denomination's. So let us move on to being what Our Savior asked us to do, like lift other's up, and like loving each other, like trying to uplift other's, like hearing what other's say and try to pray for their need's, and the like, like, like, like. You know LIKE the list goes on. There will never be a complete unity, and there will always be differences, Are the hand and the foot the same??

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I find interesting is how threads devoted to the Christian experience die after 4 or 5 comments, but salacious gossip threads, denouncing doctrine and made up of ad hominem dominate attention.

Then, we all do what humans do, toss cause and effect to the wind, and wonder why

Reactions: bbyrd009

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
As a means of disciplining church members for the edification, maintenance of purity, and preservation of the institution as a whole, God granted His church the power of "binding and loosing" members. This power does not apply to the RCC because:

1. The RCC proves itself to be without Holy Spirit discernment by insisting that our Almighty God and Creator has subjugated Himself to the whims and desires of sinful, erring, Vatican homosexuals and pedophiles whose dress, customs, and rituals are lifted from the textbook pages of Paganism 101.

2. The RCC is an apostate organization which does not trace its roots to Christ, but to the period after Constantine legalized Christianity - when true Christians boldly stood against paganism at great peril to their own lives while their faithless counterparts cowered in fear in their "safe spaces", but shoved their way forward to the principal positions of authority to seize upon the advantages that state-sanctioned Christianity had to offer once Constantine's fagots and lion's jaws ceased to threaten anyone who professed loyalty to Christ. Paul the Apostle so often predicted would happen after his death

3. The RCC claims this power is exclusive to leadership only, although Textus Receptus based New Testaments (KJV and pretty much all Protestant Bibles that existed before the 20th century) places leadership on equal footing with the laity in matters of church affairs.

we cannot accept fallacious and scurrilous out bursts against the words of Jesus 'why persecute thou Me
for "thou art Peter and I have specially prayed that thy faith fail not' - so just ignore those who say it has failed - wincam

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we cannot accept fallacious and scurrilous out bursts against the words of Jesus 'why persecute thou Me
for "thou art Peter and I have specially prayed that thy faith fail not' - so just ignore those who say it has failed - wincam
I don't do scurrilous outbursts and certainly don't object to the words of Jesus, just fallacious interpretations of His words which lead mens' souls to perdition.

Reactions: Truth

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't do scurrilous outbursts and certainly don't object to the words of Jesus, just fallacious interpretations of His words which lead mens' souls to perdition.

I Probably agree with you more than you know, and there has been much said about RCC, and the end result is ! Rebuke, Refute, Rebuke, Refute. BOL has said that we Protestant's are brainwashed by hand me down Pasteur's from the reformer's. So do not be dismayed if you can not find any one of them that will even look past their nose. As for me and My House I will Serve the Lord, and only the Lord. Not an Organization, weather Catholic or Pentecost, or Baptist, or I am sure you get my point. And by the way the rest of these so called Church's, still hold fast to the many Sacred Tradition's established by the RCC. They will even state that if they did not have the Authority, then why do all other Church's follow their Tradition's!!!!
Hold Fast to the Faith, that was first delivered to the True Apostle's!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi E
Just reading along.
Can't you just tell us some reasons why YOU, personally, would not want to be a Protestant?
I have been in MANY Protestant services: Brethren in Christ, Pentecostal, Baptist, store front non-denoms. They all lack depth and a sense of the sacred.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I Probably agree with you more than you know, and there has been much said about RCC, and the end result is ! Rebuke, Refute, Rebuke, Refute. BOL has said that we Protestant's are brainwashed by hand me down Pasteur's from the reformer's. So do not be dismayed if you can not find any one of them that will even look past their nose. As for me and My House I will Serve the Lord, and only the Lord. Not an Organization, weather Catholic or Pentecost, or Baptist, or I am sure you get my point. And by the way the rest of these so called Church's, still hold fast to the many Sacred Tradition's established by the RCC. They will even state that if they did not have the Authority, then why do all other Church's follow their Tradition's!!!!
Hold Fast to the Faith, that was first delivered to the True Apostle's!
Maybe if you would stop with the straw man fallacies concerning Tradition you might learn something. Not likely. You are too much anti-authority rebel to learn anything beyond your deified opinions.

I. THE APOSTOLIC TRADITION

75 "Christ the Lord, in whom the entire Revelation of the most high God is summed up, commanded the apostles to preach the Gospel, which had been promised beforehand by the prophets, and which he fulfilled in his own person and promulgated with his own lips. In preaching the Gospel, they were to communicate the gifts of God to all men. This Gospel was to be the source of all saving truth and moral discipline."32

In the apostolic preaching. . .

76 In keeping with the Lord's command, the Gospel was handed on in two ways:

- orally "by the apostles who handed on, by the spoken word of their preaching, by the example they gave, by the institutions they established, what they themselves had received - whether from the lips of Christ, from his way of life and his works, or whether they had learned it at the prompting of the Holy Spirit";33

- in writing "by those apostles and other men associated with the apostles who, under the inspiration of the same Holy Spirit, committed the message of salvation to writing".34

. . . continued in apostolic succession

77 "In order that the full and living Gospel might always be preserved in the Church the apostles left bishops as their successors. They gave them their own position of teaching authority."35 Indeed, "the apostolic preaching, which is expressed in a special way in the inspired books, was to be preserved in a continuous line of succession until the end of time."36

78 This living transmission, accomplished in the Holy Spirit, is called Tradition, since it is distinct from Sacred Scripture, though closely connected to it. Through Tradition, "the Church, in her doctrine, life and worship, perpetuates and transmits to every generation all that she herself is, all that she believes."37 "The sayings of the holy Fathers are a witness to the life-giving presence of this Tradition, showing how its riches are poured out in the practice and life of the Church, in her belief and her prayer."38

79 The Father's self-communication made through his Word in the Holy Spirit, remains present and active in the Church: "God, who spoke in the past, continues to converse with the Spouse of his beloved Son. And the Holy Spirit, through whom the living voice of the Gospel rings out in the Church - and through her in the world - leads believers to the full truth, and makes the Word of Christ dwell in them in all its richness."39

II. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TRADITION AND SACRED SCRIPTURE

One common source. . .

80 "Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, then, are bound closely together, and communicate one with the other. For both of them, flowing out from the same divine well-spring, come together in some fashion to form one thing, and move towards the same goal."40 Each of them makes present and fruitful in the Church the mystery of Christ, who promised to remain with his own "always, to the close of the age".41

. . . two distinct modes of transmission

81 "Sacred Scripture is the speech of God as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit."42

"And [Holy] Tradition transmits in its entirety the Word of God which has been entrusted to the apostles by Christ the Lord and the Holy Spirit. It transmits it to the successors of the apostles so that, enlightened by the Spirit of truth, they may faithfully preserve, expound and spread it abroad by their preaching."43

82 As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, "does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence."44

This is what you despise out of ignorance.
Catechism of the Catholic Church - The Transmission of Divine Revelation

One might loosely define tradition as the authoritative and authentic Christian history of theological doctrines and devotional practices. Christianity is fundamentally grounded in the earth-shattering historical events in the life of Jesus Christ (His incarnation, preaching, miracles, passion, crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension).

Eyewitnesses (Lk 1:1-2; Acts 1:1-3; 2 Pet 1:16-18) communicated these true stories to the early Christians, who in turn passed them on to other Christians (under the guidance of the Church’s authority) down through the ages. Therefore, Christian tradition, defined as authentic Church history, is unavoidable, and is a very good thing — not a “bad” thing at all.
http://www.themichigancatholic.org/2014/05/tradition-isnt-always-a-bad-word-in-scripture/

Sorry, I don't see anything "Christian" about your rebellious individualistic attitude.

Last edited:

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe if you would stop with the straw man fallacies concerning Tradition you might learn something. Not likely. You are too much anti-authority rebel to learn anything beyond your deified opinions.

I. THE APOSTOLIC TRADITION

75 "Christ the Lord, in whom the entire Revelation of the most high God is summed up, commanded the apostles to preach the Gospel, which had been promised beforehand by the prophets, and which he fulfilled in his own person and promulgated with his own lips. In preaching the Gospel, they were to communicate the gifts of God to all men. This Gospel was to be the source of all saving truth and moral discipline."32

In the apostolic preaching. . .

76 In keeping with the Lord's command, the Gospel was handed on in two ways:

- orally "by the apostles who handed on, by the spoken word of their preaching, by the example they gave, by the institutions they established, what they themselves had received - whether from the lips of Christ, from his way of life and his works, or whether they had learned it at the prompting of the Holy Spirit";33

- in writing "by those apostles and other men associated with the apostles who, under the inspiration of the same Holy Spirit, committed the message of salvation to writing".34

. . . continued in apostolic succession

77 "In order that the full and living Gospel might always be preserved in the Church the apostles left bishops as their successors. They gave them their own position of teaching authority."35 Indeed, "the apostolic preaching, which is expressed in a special way in the inspired books, was to be preserved in a continuous line of succession until the end of time."36

78 This living transmission, accomplished in the Holy Spirit, is called Tradition, since it is distinct from Sacred Scripture, though closely connected to it. Through Tradition, "the Church, in her doctrine, life and worship, perpetuates and transmits to every generation all that she herself is, all that she believes."37 "The sayings of the holy Fathers are a witness to the life-giving presence of this Tradition, showing how its riches are poured out in the practice and life of the Church, in her belief and her prayer."38

79 The Father's self-communication made through his Word in the Holy Spirit, remains present and active in the Church: "God, who spoke in the past, continues to converse with the Spouse of his beloved Son. And the Holy Spirit, through whom the living voice of the Gospel rings out in the Church - and through her in the world - leads believers to the full truth, and makes the Word of Christ dwell in them in all its richness."39

II. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TRADITION AND SACRED SCRIPTURE

One common source. . .

80 "Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, then, are bound closely together, and communicate one with the other. For both of them, flowing out from the same divine well-spring, come together in some fashion to form one thing, and move towards the same goal."40 Each of them makes present and fruitful in the Church the mystery of Christ, who promised to remain with his own "always, to the close of the age".41

. . . two distinct modes of transmission

81 "Sacred Scripture is the speech of God as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit."42

"And [Holy] Tradition transmits in its entirety the Word of God which has been entrusted to the apostles by Christ the Lord and the Holy Spirit. It transmits it to the successors of the apostles so that, enlightened by the Spirit of truth, they may faithfully preserve, expound and spread it abroad by their preaching."43

82 As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, "does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence."44

This is what you despise out of ignorance.
Catechism of the Catholic Church - The Transmission of Divine Revelation

One might loosely define tradition as the authoritative and authentic Christian history of theological doctrines and devotional practices. Christianity is fundamentally grounded in the earth-shattering historical events in the life of Jesus Christ (His incarnation, preaching, miracles, passion, crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension).

Eyewitnesses (Lk 1:1-2; Acts 1:1-3; 2 Pet 1:16-18) communicated these true stories to the early Christians, who in turn passed them on to other Christians (under the guidance of the Church’s authority) down through the ages. Therefore, Christian tradition, defined as authentic Church history, is unavoidable, and is a very good thing — not a “bad” thing at all.
http://www.themichigancatholic.org/2014/05/tradition-isnt-always-a-bad-word-in-scripture/

Sorry, I don't see anything "Christian" about your rebellious individualistic attitude.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH, FOR YOUR SUPERIOR SPIRITUAL RENDING OF ME! --- YOU SHOULD AT LEAST TRY TO UNDERSTAND THAT WE ARE ALL BRAINWASHED, LIKE YOUUR BROTHER BOL SAY'S!!!!

YOUR CLAIM TO ALL AUTHORITY, FROM THE APOSTLE PETER, AS YOUR CLAIM AS PETER BEING THE FIRST POPE, IS DEAD!

THE SAD THING IS, IS THAT MOST OF ALL CHRISTIANITY STILL CLING'S TO SOME OF YOUR SACRED TRADITION'S

AS FOR ME I WILL CONTINUE TO BELIEVE WHAT I BELIEVE, AND LET GOD SORT US OUT!!

AND BY THE WAY, I ONLY READ YOUR FIRST AND LAST STATEMENT'S IN YOUR REPLY. WHICH WAS ENOUGH OF YOUR RANTING'S FOR ME. HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Helen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dave Armstrong simply copied Loraine Boettner’s work, Roman Catholicism, a book published in 1962 by Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company of Philadelphia.
And got rich off it.
I can't find any evidence of this accusation. Can you provide your evidence? I am curious about this.

Thank you, Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But I have met the Master and His Holy Spirit has filled me and has been teaching me. This last is not a mere desire but an experience which has changed me since I walked away from Catholicism.... Since then I have been seeking His face and following the lead of His Spirit. I do have a vision which now grows clearer as my walk continues and I approach the face to face. Never did I even have a distant vision of what I have now when I was a sincerely devout Catholic. I am not saying what I had was evil, but the light that I had then was darkness compared to the Light in which I now walk. Jesus came to bring Life and I am no longer a dead man. That did not happen until I had walked away from the CC and into His arms. As a Catholic I was hungry and thirsty for His righteousness, but until I was drawn into Him, the hunger was not sated nor the thirst quenched. This is why I could never again be a Catholic. God has called me to elsewhere and I am following His call.
Hi Amadeus,

What you have stated above is generally, in a nutshell, the same thing the Reformers said. Then came along the reformers of the Reformers who alleged that the Reformers didn't go far enough. And then other men came along and disagreed with the reformers of the Reformers and they FINALLY got it right. Until other men came along and reformed them. o_O All of these men claim the same thing you stated above however they all teach different doctrines and have different beliefs that the Holy Spirit allegedly guided them to.

So my question is: Is the Holy Spirit confused by telling all these different reformers that they were right? Or are all these men who are claiming that they are following the lead of His Spirit which has caused their vision to grow clearer as their walk with Him continues confused? Did these men truly meet the Master and were these men truly filled with the Holy Spirit and has He been teaching them?

Curious Mary