Why I could personally never chose to be Catholic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Feb 13, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reasons why I could personally never chose to be Catholic:
Baptist prospective

1st of all, comparing spiritual things with spiritual, I feel that as old as the Roman Catholic Church is; it still has not worked out it's kinks.
- 1 Corinthians 2:13 (KJV Bible)

I feel like if I'm going to partake congregationally to worship, it is a absolute must that i am 100% comfortable with the Church and its Doctrines, all elements combined.
- Galatians 1:6-7 (of Galatians 1:1-12) (KJV Bible)

It is well known most Baptist have issues with Catholicism because of the Catholic claim of: transubstantiation. Within the ritual of a catholic mass, the pope holds a piece of bread, turns his back, and while his back is turned. Proclaims that it "literally" turns into the physical flesh of Christ.

3rdly, Christ is the head of the Church, There is absolutely no need for a Pope. It is opposite of scriptural and from what Iv heard, Pagan derived.
- 1 Corinthians 11:3 (KJV Bible)

God Bless you,
I have large hopes that you find a profitable King James Version Only proud and preaching Church near you & find the Bible way to Heaven.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If I believed half the lies you do about Catholicism, I would quit right now.

1. Best One-Sentence Summary: I am convinced that the Catholic Church conforms much more closely to all of the biblical data, offers the only coherent view of the history of Christianity (i.e., Christian, apostolic Tradition), and possesses the most profound and sublime Christian morality, spirituality, social ethic, and philosophy.

2. Alternate: I am a Catholic because I sincerely believe, by virtue of much cumulative evidence, that Catholicism is true, and that the Catholic Church is the visible Church divinely established by our Lord Jesus, against which the gates of hell cannot and will not prevail (Mt 16:18), thereby possessing an authority to which I feel bound in Christian duty to submit.

3. 2nd Alternate: I left Protestantism because it was seriously deficient in its interpretation of the Bible (e.g., “faith alone” and its missing many other “Catholic” doctrines – see evidences below), inconsistently selective in its espousal of various doctrines of Catholic Tradition (e.g., the canon of the Bible), inadequate in its ecclesiology, lacking a sensible view of Christian history (e.g., “Scripture alone”; ignorance or inconsistent understanding of of development of doctrine), compromised morally (e.g., contraception, divorce), and unbiblically schismatic and (in effect, or logical reduction, if not always in actual belief) relativistic.

Disclaimer: I don’t therefore believe that Protestantism is all bad (not by a long shot – indeed, I think it is a pretty good thing overall), but these are some of the major deficiencies I eventually saw as fatal to the “theory” of Protestantism, over against Catholicism. All Catholics must regard baptized, Nicene, Chalcedonian Protestants as Christians.

4. Catholicism isn’t formally divided and sectarian (Jn 17:20-23; Rom 16:17; 1 Cor 1:10-13).

5. Catholic unity makes Christianity and Jesus more believable to the world (Jn 17:23).

6. Catholicism, because of its unified, complete, fully supernatural Christian vision, mitigates against secularization and humanism.

7. Catholicism (institutionally) avoids (and/or has the remedy to) an unbiblical individualism which undermines Christian community (e.g., 1 Cor 12:25-26).

8. Catholicism avoids theological relativism, by means of dogmatic certainty and the centrality of the papacy.

9. Catholicism avoids ecclesiological anarchism – one cannot merely jump to another denomination when some disciplinary measure or censure is called for.

10. Catholicism formally (although, sadly, not always in practice) prevents the theological “pick and choose” state of affairs, which leads to the uncertainties and “every man for himself” confusion within the Protestant system among laypeople.

11. Catholicism rejects the “State Church,” which has led to governments dominating Christianity rather than vice versa, caesaropapism, or a nominal, merely “go through the motions” institutional religion.

12. Protestant State Churches greatly influenced the rise of nationalism, which mitigated against equality of all men and the universal nature of historic Christianity (i.e., catholicism in its literal meaning).

13. Unified Catholic Christendom (before the 16th century) had not been plagued by the tragic, Christian vs. Christian religious wars which in turn led to the “Enlightenment,” in which men rejected the hypocrisy of inter-Christian warfare and decided to become indifferent to religion rather than letting it guide their lives.

14. Catholicism retains (to the fullest extent) the elements of mystery, supernatural, and the sacred in Christianity, thus opposing itself to secularization, where the sphere of the religious in life becomes greatly limited.

15. Protestant individualism led to the privatization of Christianity, whereby it is little respected in societal and political life, leaving the “public square” largely barren of Christian influence.

16. The secular false dichotomy of “church vs. world” has led committed orthodox Christians, by and large, to withdraw from politics, leaving a void filled by pagans, cynics, the unscrupulous, the power-hungry, and the Machiavellian. Catholicism offers a sensible, internally-coherent framework in which to approach the state and civic responsibility.

17. Protestantism leans too much on mere traditions of men. Every denomination stems from one founder’s vision, which contradicts something previously received from apostolic Tradition and passed down. As soon as two or more of these contradict each other, error is necessarily present.

18. Protestant churches (especially evangelicals), are far too often guilty of putting their pastors on too high of a pedestal. In effect, often pastors (at least in some denominational traditions) becomes a “pope,” to varying degrees. Because of this, evangelical congregations often experience a severe crisis and/or split up when a pastor leaves, thus proving that their philosophy is overly man-centered, rather than God-centered (Catholic parishes usually don’t experience such a crisis when a priest departs). Many pastors have far more power in their congregations than the pope has over the daily life of any Catholic.

19. Protestantism, due to lack of real authority and dogmatic structure, is tragically prone to accommodation to the spirit of the age, and moral faddism.

20. Catholicism retains apostolic succession, necessary to know what is true Christian apostolic Tradition. It was the criterion of Christian truth used by the early Christians and the Church Fathers.

21. Many Protestants take a dim view towards Christian history in general, especially the years from 313 (Constantine’s conversion) to 1517 (Luther’s arrival). This ignorance and hostility to Catholic Tradition leads to theological relativism, anti-Catholicism, and a constant, unnecessary process of “reinventing the wheel.”

22. Protestantism from its inception was anti-Catholic, and certain factions of it remain so to this day (especially in certain fundamentalist and Baptist and Reformed circles). This is obviously wrong and unbiblical if Catholicism is indeed Christian (if it isn’t, then – logically – neither is Protestantism, which inherited the bulk of its theology from Catholicism). The Catholic Church, on the other hand, is not anti-Protestant.

23. The Catholic Church accepts the authority of the great ecumenical councils (see, e.g., Acts 15) which defined and developed Christian doctrine (much of which Protestantism also accepts).

24. Most Protestants do not have bishops, a Christian office which is biblical (1 Tim 3:1-2) and which has existed from the earliest Christian history and Tradition.

25. Protestantism has no way of settling doctrinal issues definitively. At best, the individual Protestant can only take a head count of how many Protestant scholars, commentators, etc. take such-and-such a view on Doctrine X, Y, or Z. Or (in a more sophisticated fashion), the Protestant can simply accept the authority of some denominational tradition, confession, or creed (which then has to be justified over against the other competing ones). There is no unified Protestant Tradition.

26. Protestantism arose in 1517, and is a “Johnny-come-lately” in the history of Christianity (having introduced many doctrines previously accepted by no Christian group, or very few individuals). Therefore it cannot possibly be the “restoration” of “pure”, “primitive” Christianity, since this is ruled out by the fact of its novelties and absurdly late appearance. Christianity must have historic continuity or it is not Christianity. Protestantism is necessarily a “parasite” of Catholicism: historically and doctrinally speaking.

27. The notion (common among many Protestants) of the “invisible church” is also novel in the history of Christianity and foreign to the Bible (Mt 5:14; 16:18), therefore untrue.

28. When Protestant theologians speak of the teaching of early Christianity (e.g., when refuting “cults”), they say “the Church taught . . .” (as it was then unified), but when they refer to the present they instinctively and inconsistently refrain from such terminology, since universal teaching authority now clearly resides only in the Catholic Church.

29. The Protestant principle of private judgment has created a milieu (especially in Protestant America) in which it is easier for (invariably) man-centered “cults” such as Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormonism, and Christian Science arise. The very notion that one can “start” a new, or “the true” Church is Protestant to the core. Though (I want to stress) these cults are not Protestant themselves; nevertheless they tend to proliferate, given the existence of certain false Protestant principles of epistemology and authority.

30. The lack of a definitive teaching authority in Protestant (as with the Catholic magisterium) makes many individual Protestants think that they have a direct line to God, notwithstanding all of Christian Tradition and the history of biblical exegesis (a “Bible, Holy Spirit and me” mentality). Such people are generally under-educated theologically, unteachable, lack humility, and have no business making presumed “infallible” statements about the nature of Christianity.

Read more at 150 Reasons Why I Became (and Remain) a Catholic

Last edited by a moderator:

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
30. The lack of a definitive teaching authority in Protestant (as with the Catholic magisterium) makes many individual Protestants think that they have a direct line to God, notwithstanding all of Christian Tradition and the history of biblical exegesis (a “Bible, Holy Spirit and me” mentality). Such people are generally under-educated theologically, unteachable, lack humility, and have no business making presumed “infallible” statements about the nature of Christianity.

31. Evangelicalism’s “techniques” of evangelism are often contrived and manipulative, certainly not directly derived from the text of the Bible. Some even resemble brainwashing to a degree. [I speak as a former street and campus and counter-cult evangelist myself, who avoided these techniques then, as I do now]

32. Sadly, too many evangelical Protestant evangelists and pastors present a truncated and abridged, individualistic and ear-tickling gospel, in effect merely “fire insurance” rather than the biblical gospel as proclaimed by the apostles.

33. Evangelicalism often separates profound, life-transforming repentance and radical discipleship from its gospel message. The Lutheran Dietrich Bonhoeffer called this “cheap grace.”

34. The absence of the idea of submission to spiritual authority in Protestantism has leaked over into the civic arena, where the ideas of personal “freedom,” “rights,” and “choice” now dominate to such an extent that civic duty, communitarianism, and discipline are tragically neglected, to the detriment of a healthy society.

35. Catholicism retains the sense of the sacred, the sublime, the holy, and the beautiful in spirituality. The ideas of altar, and “sacred space” are preserved. Many Protestant churches are no more than “meeting halls” or “gymnasiums” or “barn”-type structures. Most Protestants’ homes are more esthetically striking than their churches. Likewise, Protestants (particularly fundamentalists and too many evangelicals) are often “addicted to mediocrity” in their appreciation of art, music, architecture, drama, the imagination, etc.

36. Protestantism has too often neglected the place of liturgy in worship (with notable exceptions such as Anglicanism and Lutheranism). This is the way Christians had always worshiped down through the centuries, and thus can’t be so lightly dismissed.

37. Too many brands of Protestantism tend to oppose matter and spirit, favoring the latter, and sometimes exhibit Gnostic or Docetic strains of thought in this regard.

38. Catholicism upholds in the fullest way the “incarnational principle,” wherein Jesus became flesh and thus raised flesh and matter to new spiritual heights.

39. Some strains of Protestantism (particularly evangelicalism and pentecostalism and especially the Baptists) greatly limit or disbelieve in sacramentalism, which is simply the extension of the incarnational principle and the belief that matter can convey grace. Some sects (e.g., Quakers and the Salvation Army) reject all sacraments.

40. Too many Protestants’ excessive mistrust of the flesh (“carnality”) often leads to (in evangelicalism or fundamentalism) an absurd legalism (no dancing, drinking, card-playing, rock music, etc.).

Read more at 150 Reasons Why I Became (and Remain) a Catholic

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some Protestants will tell you that the only acceptable version of the Bible is the King James. This position is known as King James-onlyism. Its advocates often make jokes such as, "If the King James Version was good enough for the apostle Paul, it is good enough for me," or, "My King James Version corrects your Greek text."

They commonly claim that the King James is based on the only perfect set of manuscripts we have (a false claim; there is no perfect set of manuscripts; and the ones used for the KJV were compiled by a Catholic, Erasmus), that it is the only translation that avoids modern, liberal renderings, and that its translators were extremely saintly and scholarly men. Since the King James is also known as "the Authorized Version" (AV), its advocates sometimes argue that it is the only version to ever have been "authorized." To this one may point out that it was only authorized in the Anglican church, which now uses other translations. For a still-in print critique of King James-onlyism, see D. A. Carson, The King James Version Debate, A Plea for Realism (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1979).

As amusing as King James-onlyism may sound, some people take it very seriously. There is even a Catholic equivalent, which we might call "Douay-Rheims-onlyism." The Douay-Rheims version, which predates the King James by a few years, (the complete KJV was published in 1611, but the complete Douay-Rheims in 1609) was the standard Bible for English-speaking Catholics until the twentieth century.

What many advocates of both King James-onlyism and Douay-Rheims-onlyism do not know is that neither Bible is the original issued in the 1600s. Over the last three centuries, numerous minor changes (for example, of spelling and grammar) have been made in the King James, with the result that most versions of the KJV currently on the market are significantly different from the original. This has led one publisher to recently re-issue the 1611 King James Version Bible.

The Douay-Rheims currently on the market is also not the original, 1609 version. It is technically called the "Douay-Challoner" version because it is a revision of the Douay-Rheims done in the mid-eighteenth century by Bishop Richard Challoner. He also consulted early Greek and Hebrew manuscripts, meaning that the Douay Bible currently on the market is not simply a translation of the Vulgate (which many of its advocates do not realize).

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reasons why I could personally never chose to be Catholic:
Baptist prospective

1st of all, comparing spiritual things with spiritual, I feel that as old as the Roman Catholic Church is; it still has not worked out it's kinks.
- 1 Corinthians 2:13 (KJV Bible)

I feel like if I'm going to partake congregationally to worship, it is a absolute must that i am 100% comfortable with the Church and its Doctrines, all elements combined.

It is well known most Baptist have issues with Catholicism because of the Catholic claim of: transubstantiation. Within the ritual of a catholic mass, the pope holds a piece of bread, turns his back, and while his back is turned. Proclaims that it "literally" turns into the physical flesh of Christ.

3rdly, Christ is the head of the Church, There is absolutely no need for a Pope. It is opposite of scriptural and from what Iv heard, Pagan derived.
- 1 Corinthians 11:3 (KJV Bible)

God Bless you,
I have large hopes that you find a profitable King James Version Only proud and preaching Church near you & find the Bible way to Heaven.

Your 'King James Version Only proud and preaching Church' statement diminishes your Christian witness and does not edify the body of Christ.

Reactions: Marymog

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
tempted to agree, but "all things work together for good" i guess

i was raised SBaptist, and taught to hate Catholics too, but i gotta tell ya, if you are ever destitute and seeking to get along in the world in some way, the RCC is usually the only church open. BoL notwithstanding Catholics are great at forgiveness/reconciliation/overlooking a matter, there is no "Protestant Charities" that i am aware of,
and tbh i would still direct ppl to Catholic Charities if there were, to avoid the proselytizing that would surely accompany the Prot one

near as i can tell it has to do with being persecuted? When everything is made into a sin, ppl just tend to relax a little bit and move on mentally, in a way. When everything is made into a Ritual, ppl seek to translate faith into experience, seems like.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

i was raised SBaptist, and taught to hate Catholics too, but i gotta tell ya, if you are ever destitute and seeking to get along in the world in some way, the RCC is usually the only church open. BoL notwithstanding Catholics are great at forgiveness/reconciliation/overlooking a matter, there is no "Protestant Charities" that i am aware of,
and tbh i would still direct ppl to Catholic Charities if there were, to avoid the proselytizing that would surely accompany the Prot one

near as i can tell it has to do with being persecuted? When everything is made into a sin, ppl just tend to relax a little bit and move on mentally, in a way. When everything is made into a Ritual, ppl seek to translate faith into experience, seems like.

there is nothing to worry about since Catholics, themselves, did not choose to be Catholics, they were chosen - imho - twinc

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
Roman Catholicism is a difficult religion. In order for its followers to obtain a
passing grade they have to consistently comply with everything in the
Catechism, plus all of Rome's traditions, and every Bull, every Holy Day of
Obligation, every Encyclical plus all of the Sermon On The Mount and
everything taught in the epistles of Paul, Peter, James, Jude, and John;
along with every ruling of Rome's Church Councils including Nicaea 1 & 2,
Constantinople 1 & 2 & 3, Ephesus, Chalcedon, Lateran 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5,
Lyons 1 & 2, Vienne, Constance, Florence, Trent, and Vaticans 1 & 2.

On top of all that; should a Catholic leave this life in a state of mortal sin,
they go straight to Hell with no stopover in a purgatory (CCC 1035). All their
years as a Catholic, no matter how many nor how faithful, will count for naught.

/

Last edited:

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may be different now ? I do not know ? But in my time I was not save !!! And it was the same preaching all the time.
I attended C. C.

I always felt like I would be going to hell ! Till our children grew up and started to go to there friends church's......

at bout the age of 50 I was Catholic and some were in the 50's our son found a Baptist church and brought his brother with him.

Well, the son felt some thing , but wanted to find a different church and it took a while but we all went .......

And that evening our younger son took his bible and went to bed reading, and he stayed up most of the night reading his

bible ...... I was so pleased...... and we all stayed with this church...... till we all started to move to different places..
different States...
what relief !

We all know now we are all going to heaven........ I pray that the C. C. has now changed !

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Dream on....If you have found one where you are 100% in agreement..good for you! But as for me and my house.....?????? No such thing.

Reactions: Truth

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Put some lobsters in a pot of cold water so they are comfortable and slowly turn up the heat, and they fall asleep and die, Just like mens churches filled with people who are comfortable yet dying.

Like an ice cream shop, pick teh flavour you like and eat.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not sure why you continue to post dishonest claims but, here's hoping that the scales fall from your eyes soon . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
Roman Catholicism is a difficult religion. In order for its followers to obtain a
passing grade they have to consistently comply with everything in the
Catechism, plus all of Rome's traditions, and every Bull, every Holy Day of
Obligation, every Encyclical plus all of the Sermon On The Mount and
everything taught in the epistles of Paul, Peter, James, Jude, and John;
along with every ruling of Rome's Church Councils including Nicaea 1 & 2,
Constantinople 1 & 2 & 3, Ephesus, Chalcedon, Lateran 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5,
Lyons 1 & 2, Vienne, Constance, Florence, Trent, and Vaticans 1 & 2.

On top of all that; should a Catholic leave this life in a state of mortal sin,
they go straight to Hell with no stopover in a purgatory (CCC 1035). All their
years as a Catholic, no matter how many, will count for naught.

/
That's because Mortal sin is a complete turn against God.
What would make you think that somebody in this condition could be saved at the point of death??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may be different now ? I do not know ? But in my time I was not save !!! And it was the same preaching all the time.
I attended C. C.
I always felt like I would be going to hell ! Till our children grew up and started to go to there friends church's......

at bout the age of 50 I was Catholic and some were in the 50's our son found a Baptist church and brought his brother with him.
Well, the son felt some thing , but wanted to find a different church and it took a while but we all went .......
And that evening our younger son took his bible and went to bed reading, and he stayed up most of the night reading his
bible ...... I was so pleased...... and we all stayed with this church...... till we all started to move to different places..
different States...
what relief !

We all know now we are all going to heaven........ I pray that the C. C. has now changed !
As a Catholic, I also know that I am going to Heaven - if I remain faithful to the end, as Scripture teaches us (Matt. 24:13, Heb. 3:14).

PS -
What part about the Catholic Church do you hope has "changed"??

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
According to the information below, taken from the Catechism of the
Catholic Church (a.k.a. the CCC) it's readily seen that it isn't necessary to
completely turn against either God or the Church in order to leave this life in
a state of mortal sin.

CCC 1856 When the will sets itself upon something that is of its nature
incompatible with the charity that orients man toward his ultimate end, then
the sin is mortal by its very object . . . whether it contradicts the love of
God, such as blasphemy or perjury, or the love of neighbor, such as
homicide or adultery.

CCC 1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met:
"Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed
with full knowledge and deliberate consent."

CCC 1858 Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments,
corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do
not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not
defraud, Honor your father and your mother."

CCC 1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It
presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to
God's law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal
choice.

CCC 1861 Mortal sin . . . results in the loss of charity and the privation of
sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by
repentance and God's forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ's kingdom
and the eternal death of hell.

In other words: mortal sins fall in the category of willful behavior; i.e. acts
committed wherein the offender knows in advance that certain things are
wrong.

A really good example of willful sin is Adam's. He tasted the forbidden fruit
in the knowledge of both the ban the consequences; which correlates to a
catechized Catholic knowing both the ban and the consequences for breaking
any one of the Ten Commandments.

/

Last edited:

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
As a Catholic, I also know that I am going to Heaven - if I remain faithful to
the end
Council of Trent Session 6, Chapter 16, Canon 16 . . If anyone says that
he will for certain, with an absolute and infallible certainty, have that great
gift of perseverance even to the end, unless he shall have learned this by a
special revelation, let him be anathema.

/

Last edited:

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reasons why I could personally never chose to be Catholic

Everyone has a different divine authority that structures and determines the Gospel.

My divine authority is determined and structured by the Bible alone and in its entirety, is the word of God.

While the Catholics divine authority is structured by the Bible + meaning, they have a wider authority than that of the Bible alone. They follow the traditions of men, the infallibility of their pope and church, the sayings of Fatima, elevating Mary as a co-redemptrix, water baptism that saves,...etc., all of which are a contradiction to Revelation 22:18 which reads:

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book.”

The plagues written herein are the judgments of God, and the book can only mean the Bible. In other words, Revelation 22:18 is a very ominous warning for those who add to the true Gospel.

As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other Gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed Galatians 1:9.

To God Be The Glory