Why I'm Not a Theist Anymore

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
What I don't get is how understanding this does ANYTHING to support the notion that what the writers said, ALL of what they said, was true and actually happened
ah well i am doing everything i can to discourage that imo terrible idea, yes
well at least the “actually happened” part

wisdom is hidden from the wise

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You BELIEVE your belief is in the Christ when in actuality it is in what someone SAID about the Christ. EVERYTHING you believe about the Christ was declared by man and personally adopted by you, EVERYTHING.

Christ, damnation, salvation, and other characters and plot items are the writings of men and evidence to support the idea that THOSE WRITINGS are anything more than fiction or legend is severely LACKING. And until it can be demonstrated that what was written was true, then the faith is in men, PERIOD.
for wherever the carcass is, there the vultures will be gathered

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Forgive me. I am asking now from a real place what your struggles are. You mentioned it and I really do want to know.
A major struggle I face is that at my age friendships and relationships have become a serious drama to find.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
How do you come to that conclusion?

proxy-image

proxy-image
Do you know what a NPC is?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A major struggle I face is that at my age friendships and relationships have become a serious drama to find.

I see. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

I have a technical background and always found most people too emotional for me to even want a relationship with them. So, I understand your point about drama. I hope this on-line community helps in the regard of friendships.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I expected, I.O.U. and Truth's evasion of my 4 questions imply that both are so closed-minded that even if they could be convinced that Jesus rose from the dead and that Gospel miracle stories were true, and even if they or someone close to them experienced a miracle performed in Jesus' name and they experienced a self-authenticating loving encounter with Christ, they would still refuse to commit their lives to Christ. Thanks
for exposing that mindset. There is no potential of any case for Christianity or spiritual experience even in principle making a dent. So further conversation is futile. Blest wishes for you both.

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I understand what you are trying to say . But that aint what JESUS said to thomas .
HE said STOP BEING FAITHLESS and BELIEVE .
Ps , i dont think you are the devil just cause you said that . I am just trying to get all of our focus Back on learning our bibles only more so .
Thomas had no excuse .
As Jesus said:

“Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.”
‭‭John‬ ‭20:29‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Brother is correct. We need to forget man’s teaching and get back into the KJV bibles ourselves.

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Whereunto shall we liken this generation .
It is as a fish that does swim through the ocean . It has become very wise to the knowledge of the fish of its ocean .
And when the simple childlike fish does approach and tells it , what you swim in is water . You need not to look for proof of water any longer ,
IT says , YOU SILLY dumb childlike fish , you should have heeded the wise fish of this world and of our ocean .
This is not water, iT SAYS , its just H2O . ITS hydorgen and oxygene . OOPS , THATS WATER . BUT they cannot see
due to all the carnal wisdom that has clouded their eyes .
The trees and the forest.
Let’s be watching and sober. The Lord’s return draws nigh.

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
as we just read from TRUTH OT , The carnal mind cannot receive the things of GOD . He cannot see and we cannot prove it to him .
WE can and should try and persuade men . But if they heed not after the first or second time , Gotta leave them to themselves .
Preach the glorious TRUTH OF JESUS and all biblical truth to all that has breath . But know we cannot MAKE them believe .
And never let them silence our voices . And never try and let them tell us HOW we ought to explain the truth .
THE SPIRIT gives us words and use the truth in those bibles to persuade men . Carnal wisdom wins none .
Just give them scripture:

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭4:12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The news of the gospel and the Spirit of God is spiritually discerned. As brother says, the carnal mind cannot understand it.

“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭2:14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Reactions: amigo de christo

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I expected, I.O.U. and Truth's evasion of my 4 questions imply that both are so closed-minded

Did Jesus ever claim victory as you did above? I don't think so. Moreover, people not turning to Jesus is no victory at all.

Even Atheists need Grace.

What you wrote is true, of course, for all to see. However, our lack of humility is not becoming of an honorable people.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just give them scripture

Pearls thrown before swine.

A friend stated the way to win converts is NOT to just give them Scripture but to:
  1. Build a personal relationship with them.
  2. Establish a safe & trusting environment for them to open up about their spiritual needs.
  3. Share your testimony of transformation.
  4. Then and only then, share Scripture.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OT Truth,
before I get to the questions you ducked, consider this way of linking Jesus' resurrection to eyewitness testimony:
Paul introduces the sequence or resurrection appearances with tradition transmission phrases traceable to the eyewitnesses:
"I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received." Received from whom? From the Jerusalem apostles!
Paul is referring to his 2 trips to Jerusalem to have his Gospel checked out for accuracy by the eyewitnesses and says they vouched for the accuracy of his presentation (Galatians 1:18-19; 2:1-2, 6-10). So here is the list of resurrection appearances that the apostles confirmed:

"...that He was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas (= Peter), then to the Twelve, Then He appeared to more than 500 brethren at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some of died. Then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all,...He appeared to me (1 Corinthians 15:3-8)."
Luke's Gospel confirms Jesus' first appearance to Peter (Luke 24:34). All 3 Gospels with Easter appearances confirm that Jesus' 2nd appearance was to the 12 (a technical term for the apostles in general, excluding Judas Iscariot). Paul is personally acquainted with some of the 500+ who saw the risen Jesus, and so, he is aware of the recent deaths of some of these. Each Gospel is selective in the appearances they record.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This, as with Luke's testimony in Luke 1:1-4 is the DEFINITION of second hand, non-eyewitness testimony.
You miss the point:
First, there is nothing 2nd-hand about Paul's own testimony to seeing the risen Jesus, a testimony that converted him from persecutor to passionate apostle (1 Cor. 15:8)o
Second, Paul's source is the eyewitness testimony of the apostles. Such so-called 2nd-hand witness of ften sufficient to gain a conviction in a court of law. Do you actually believe that the apostles lied about encountering the risen Jesus, despite the fact that they later sealed their testimony with their blood? Do you believe Paul lied about the apostles' confirmation of his teaching about the resurrection sequence?
Third, the Gospel witness can itself be linked to connections with eyewitness testimony in ways of which you are oblivious. More on this in my next planned post.