Why is the need to study the bible for yourself; important?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yeah, that antichrist did come and is long gone, @Hobie. Those are great passages but again this all boils down to who were those written to, and was Jesus write about their generation. (Sure people can be antichrist now but many people misappropriate nations as nations today instead of those nations then - its very misleading.)

The whole mass hysteriai of "War of the Worlds on the radio" caused many people to kill themselves, and think the world was ending, gotta be careful how one uses scriptures, cause it's just a double edged sword that can hurt you and others if you are not careful.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yeah, that antichrist did come and is long gone, @Hobie. Those are great passages but again this all boils down to who were those written to, and was Jesus write about their generation. (Sure people can be antichrist now but many people misappropriate nations as nations today instead of those nations then - its very misleading.)

The whole mass hysteriai of "War of the Worlds on the radio" caused many people to kill themselves, and think the world was ending, gotta be careful how one uses scriptures, cause it's just a double edged sword that can hurt you and others if you are not careful.
You claim to listen to what the scripture says and yet you reject what it shows...

Reactions: gpresdo

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You claim to listen to what the scripture says and yet you reject what it shows...

That is debatable. It depends on how you take the context.

If you are someone who believes in the 'sola scriptura' doctrine, then you will end up having a problem with me.

And here are the reasons why,

Quoting Thessalonians, is a letter written to them. While there may be spiritual benefits to glean from, not everything is written to us specifically.

Quoting Timothy, is again, a letter written to him.

Quoting any type of scripture, has to have a introduction introduced to an audience, otherwise the information seamed through the 'grape vine' is corrupted because it hold not weight when it is really weighted by the context.

Another reason is, the letters when they were written are all debatable - considering even Revelation, was written to a group of churches which this letter may have been passed around to, all has specific ways they needed to either straighten up or they were gonna be left to die when God's wrath is poured out on them.

Therefore your claim, is just debatable and this is not the debate forum it is the bible study forum, and I love the bible however the spirit and how we choose to incorporate the Lord Jesus Christ, by the spirit of Christ with-in us, is up to us. To be kind, and to allow freedom of choice, even after giving what one may believe and see via the context as a whole.

The bible is good and useful, referential, the spirit is primary, and there is also history that co-relates in there too.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because many are being fooled by false teachings from men or 'tradition' whose origin is from the adversary. The Bible warned us this would come..

2 Timothy 4:3-5

2 Peter 2:1-3

1 John 4:1-6

2 John 1:7-11

Romans 16:17-18

2 Corinthians 11:3-15

Col 2:8

Colossians 2:16-19

2 Thessalonians 2:8-12

1 Timothy 6:3-5
Hobie,

While these scriptures are quoted, let's take a minute to look at their introductions, which some we dont know exactly who they are written, but one can guess. Do you believe knowing this information is also worthwhile, to notice, when quoting the scripture you are quoting and relating it back to the introduction of the context? Or do you find it unneeded?

2 Timothy 1:1-2 Here in this second letter, the addressing is to Timothy, a young person of the faith in Pauls day.
Paul, an apostle of [a]Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

2 To Timothy, a beloved son:

Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

2 Peter 1:1-3 - To who exactly Peter wrote to we don't know but it could have been the same people in his first letter, or possibly he wrote a letter to the saints that were in Rome. If it is possible that Peter wrote to his brothers that were scattered aboard it would be to those in the Dispersion (Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and bithynia, who were elect) (1 Peter 1:1-2)
Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ,

To those who have [a]obtained like[b] precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue,

1 John 1:1-3 - Not sure who he wrote to here in this time, but of course it was to believers, it could have came with the first gospel that he had wrote out. To know for sure is something we don't know but there is clues that it was for a time period of them in that day.
1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life— 2 the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us— 3 that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.

2 John 1:1 - A woman who was elected, and deemed an Elder was written to here.
1 The Elder,

To the [a]elect lady and her children, whom I love in truth, and not only I, but also all those who have known the truth,

Romans 1:5-7 - To Saints whom were in Rome, were written to by Paul here.
5 Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name, 6 among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ;

7 To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 1:1-2 - To the Church that was in Corinth and all those saints in Achaia.
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,

To the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints who are in all Achaia:

2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Colossians 1:1-2 - Paul wrote to those who were saints and brothers in Christ, and faithful in the place called Colosse.
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,

2 To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who are in Colosse:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father [a]and the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Thessalonians 1:1-2 - A second letter wrote out to the Church in Thessalonica.
Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy,

To the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:

2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Timothy 1:1-2 - Here we see that Timothy is written to by Paul.
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the commandment of God our Savior and the Lord Jesus Christ, our hope,

2 To Timothy, a true son in the faith:

Grace, mercy, and peace from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Revelation 1:4-5 - Here is evidence of whom John wrote to here, 7 assemblies in Asia.
4 John, to the seven churches which are in Asia:

Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne, 5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth.

Now is there importance for keeping things in order and context? For me, I would say absolutely. These are all of a people of a generation which stood when Christ, was born, then died, and ascended, where all taught what the Apostles were taught by Jesus himself, and because of this, they went out and spread the message of that day, when the great and dreadful day of the Lord would come and the wrath would be poured out among the nation of Israel, and if they wanted to be saved from this destruction the only option was to believe in Jesus Christ, but that was a death sentence. In that day, antichrist did arise and come, with-in the 40 year generation Jesus promised that would fall upon them before it passed away. Concluding the age, and allowing for a new age 'of the Spirit and fulfillment' to come about.

Most people skip these things, or deem them unimportant, and as stated prior all the dates 'are debateable', but we aren't debating that here, we are conducting a useful bible study to look at why are introductions important.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Michiah-Imla,

If your theory is correct, to just read and obey. Wouldn't that cause harm to the user? There are many people out there that believe they need to spread the Gospel to the whole world in order for Jesus Christ to come back, and what they will do is go and preach in order to 'get persecuted' in hopes of the Lord Yeshua coming back? How does that make any sense what so ever? That is why it is good to read, and consider what the bible has to say, but also study because not everyone has be introduced to the historical narrative of the Jewish people. It seems like a mockery though it may come from the heart, it just misguided zeal in my opinion.

If we look at the context, even Paul expressed that the faith of others had reached the whole world in that time period. (All the mixing of the current ethnic groups by and through means of trade for Rome - before Nero came along it was okay to worship any god(s); and the Jewish people were allowed to worship the God of Israel there.

Paul said this, to the people whom were written to in Rome. Was Paul being sarcastic when he wrote this, or was he being dramatic as the Hebrews tended to be? What was true here?

Romans 1:7-8.
7 To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints:​
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.​
Unashamed of the Gospel​
8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being proclaimed all over the world.​

Doesn't just about everyone know about Jesus in this day in time but perhaps doesn't know the history or even the story due to lack of being fed, or even encouragement to go and seek? Of Course those who don't have the bible, are able to see the glory of God and his handiwork by and through the created universe, looking at the sun, moon, stars, the skies, the animals, and human beings themselves.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do would think that the bible is good for study, and what is your reasoning in why someone should do such things?

Some people out there can study the bible, but be spiritually dead...

Do you need the spirit to help you in your studies as you go along? Trusting; praying and asking God to help you understand what you are reading and what is the thinking?

Especially considering that Jesus and the words he speaks are spiritual and life... ? Doesn't that also have to be taken into effect.

Why do you think it is a good thing to study the bible and why?

Do you need to believe whatever everyone elses opinions are? Or investigate for yourself?

There are six books I own for help in study.

(HOLMAN study bible)
(Hebrew and Greek dictionary)
(Just a great overview of the bible in a form of topics over 8,000)
(Always use to be near where bibles were sold a inter-testimonial from someone who lived in the times of the apostles)
(Just a general summary off foot notes of and on Revelation, there is a bigger collection found (Revelations on Revelation | Commentary Collection, Volumes 1-22 — Shawn McCraney)

(I personally don't care if people press the like button to give me to the okay to say "this is a statement I agree with' never agree with me... search and seek out God, and he will help you)

Do you need approval from others? Or can God correct people who are in error?
Two reasons should suffice:

Psalm 119:9
Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 3:15-17

King James Version

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing, @Ronald Nolette.

What is interesting about that letter written to Timothy, pertained mainly to the Old Testament scriptures, I do agree though all the scripture is written and useful for anyone who studies, but even more interesting it is to study oneself approved unto God.

It never says to approved unto or by Men. That is such an interesting thing because many people like to be approved by men in their studies, and sometimes that can lead to ... possibly not abiding in Christ, but abiding in self - causing bondage to those who come along and have yet to be set free in truth which sets one free.

Jesus speaking to the lost sheep of Israel - those who believed on him saying;

31Jesus then said to those Jews who believed in him,* “If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples, 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33They answered him, “We are descendants of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone.

That would include the old testament scripture which talks about him,

John 5:39-44 NKJV You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. “I do not receive honor from men. But I know you, that you do not have the love of God in you.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many people out there that believe they need to spread the Gospel to the whole world in order for Jesus Christ to come back

Because they aren’t focusing on doing righteousness and holiness.

You make my point.

the faith of others had reached the whole world in that time period

Again, secondary things to loving your neighbor as yourself.

Reading the Bible will give you understanding in all things.

Reading theology books to appease our wondering thoughts leads to error.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay thanks @Michiah-Imla. Thank you for making ir more clear as to what you are opposed against being “theology books” it would be better to stick to the source material and that I do absolutely agree with. My study bible has many different opinions from some people and i may not fully agree on what a study note may say; its all about faith, and also there is nothing wrong with comparing notes with other commenaters; just may the spirit guide on those matters (does it cause love or does it cause hatred).

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay thanks @Michiah-Imla. Thank you for making ir more clear as to what you are opposed against being “theology books” it would be better to stick to the source material and that I do absolutely agree with. My study bible has many different opinions from some people and i may not fully agree on what a study note may say; its all about faith, and also there is nothing wrong with comparing notes with other commenaters; just may the spirit guide on those matters (does it cause love or does it cause hatred).
The many new and varied bible editions falls in line with end time prophecies.....of....great delusions will abound.

It is terribly confusing for newbies to the bible and .....christian world.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The many new and varied bible editions falls in line with end time prophecies.....of....great delusions will abound.

It is terribly confusing for newbies to the bible and .....christian world.
I love Bible study. I make use of as many resources as I can. It's more than a hobby, pretty much a God-ordained calling.

• Love
Reactions: rwb and gpresdo

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ill I love Bible study. I make use of as many resources as I can. It's more than a hobby, pretty much a God-ordained calling.
Study all..but, never leave scriptures. That I fear is the current trend and will cost many eternal salvation.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do would think that the bible is good for study, and what is your reasoning in why someone should do such things?

Do you need the spirit to help you in your studies as you go along? Trusting; praying and asking God to help you understand what you are reading and what is the thinking?

Especially considering that Jesus and the words he speaks are spiritual and life... ? Doesn't that also have to be taken into effect.

Why do you think it is a good thing to study the bible and why?

Do you need to believe whatever everyone elses opinions are? Or investigate for yourself?

There are six books I own for help in study.

(HOLMAN study bible)
(Hebrew and Greek dictionary)
(Just a great overview of the bible in a form of topics over 8,000)
(Always use to be near where bibles were sold a inter-testimonial from someone who lived in the times of the apostles)
(Just a general summary off foot notes of and on Revelation, there is a bigger collection found (Revelations on Revelation | Commentary Collection, Volumes 1-22 — Shawn McCraney)

(I personally don't care if people press the like button to give me to the okay to say "this is a statement I agree with' never agree with me... search and seek out God, and he will help you)

Do you need approval from others? Or can God correct people who are in error?
I’m not stalking you by responding to another of your threads. I’m only scrolling through recent post. Why I feel reading the Bible for yourself is so important. My daughter is 35 and is a hair stylist. I get that isn’t important but because of her job she hears a lot. Today there is supposed to be a nationwide test on phones, tvs…I’m going somewhere with this. Well she came home “repeating” it’s a worldwide test that is going to bypass everything …for example you can’t put your phone on silence or airplane mode. It will be world wide and it’s the first time a test like this has occurred—worldwide—and no one knows who set this world-wide weird occurrence up. Speculations are the test is designed to cause all the dogs to turn on people. For real, that is being spread. And Zombies. And it’s some peculiar test to take control and use things around us to attack. All kinds of speculation. I had not heard of any test so I looked it up and read it for myself. It is nothing like what is being spread around. If we trust people and others to tell us who God is….this is what we are going to get. “I heard it through the grapevine”. When I heard about a worldwide test…even I started to speculate as to why there needs to be a worldwide test. I asked my daughter…”did you read it”? She said no “I heard about it.”

it is better (Imo) to read the word for yourself. Even if I speculate…reading and hearing that God is going to make me a millionaire. Maybe by reading it for myself I see some things about myself…for example why do I think God is going to make me a millionaire. Maybe the word is revealing something i specifically need to consider?

Reactions: gpresdo

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

[...]
The word is clean. If you are unclean and you ignore the word, you will gradually get sick.

The word is also prophetic. If you want the future to be revealed to you, you must be ready the way the word was.

The word is also discerning. If you want to understand something, understanding the word will help reveal it.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The word is clean. If you are unclean and you ignore the word, you will gradually get sick.

The word is also prophetic. If you want the future to be revealed to you, you must be ready the way the word was.

The word is also discerning. If you want to understand something, understanding the word will help reveal it.
I particularly like Matthew Henry's Commentaries. The Holy Spirit guides me in what I agree with and disagree with in such resources.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Bible College we did a module on Biblical Hermeneutics and my course material included Higher Criticism.
Historically bible interpretation was less exhaustive because there were many less bible versions. Today there are so many changes being effected that much effort is expended in attempt to get the basics agreed too. Changes in the name of....easier to read.

Example of your point of concentration?
Was .....advanced critique......your choice or was it an assignment?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me it is important to read and investigate and truly seek everything out while you have life in you to do so. Remember that God does love you, and he does care about you and desires for us to ask him to help us in our life, and by the spirit he will help us and the spirit of Christ, while having fellowship with the Lord Yeshua, who is the Son of God. Many amazing and truth freeing aspects can be found when one decides to seek out for oneself what is said about the bible. A good recommended book reference to use is a Thompson Chain Reference, which everyone you would like.