Why is the need to study the bible for yourself; important?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You ask if Jesus was a .....new age....(I conclude you mean .....religion....) I would say not...otherwise He would have no faith in His Father.
He was teaching things that their Rabbis did not. He exposed them for twisting the scriptures and promoting the traditions of men over the word of God……these were men who supposedly served the same God as he did, but his was a completely different presentation of that same God.
There have been many elements of society against God and His word through out history. The righteous have shown their opposition correctly so.
Yes, we rightly oppose what God condemns. We know that he abhors false religion, and we know that when Israel tried to mix their worship with false religion, he punished them.
Presently there are those of us who are expressing our indignation at what society is doing to God;s word...in hopes of at least limiting it from advancing.
I’m not sure what you mean by that…..but going by your past comment, is it that you are against more modern translation of the Bible taking the place of the KJV?

Have you ever done verse by verse comparisons? Perhaps you should try that and see for yourself how much more you can get out of reading something in the language we speak today.…after all, it’s the language of our prayers today, isn’t it? If God hears our prayers in any language then we can read the scriptures in any language….

No one speaks archaic English anymore, so just as language evolves and changes overtime, we must adapt accordingly or find ourselves not being understood.…
1 Cor 14:8-11…
8 For if the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for battle? 9 In the same way, unless you with the tongue use speech that is easily understood, how will anyone know what is being said? You will, in fact, be speaking into the air. 10 It may be that there are many kinds of speech in the world, and yet no kind is without meaning. 11 For if I do not understand the sense of the speech, I will be a foreigner to the one speaking, and the one speaking will be a foreigner to me.”

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was teaching things that their Rabbis did not. He exposed them for twisting the scriptures and promoting the traditions of men over the word of God……these were men who supposedly served the same God as he did, but his was a completely different presentation of that same God.

Yes, we rightly oppose what God condemns. We know that he abhors false religion, and we know that when Israel tried to mix their worship with false religion, he punished them.

I’m not sure what you mean by that…..but going by your past comment, is it that you are against more modern translation of the Bible taking the place of the KJV?

Have you ever done verse by verse comparisons? Perhaps you should try that and see for yourself how much more you can get out of reading something in the language we speak today.…after all, it’s the language of our prayers today, isn’t it? If God hears our prayers in any language then we can read the scriptures in any language….

No one speaks archaic English anymore, so just as language evolves and changes overtime, we must adapt accordingly or find ourselves not being understood.…
1 Cor 14:8-11…
8 For if the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for battle? 9 In the same way, unless you with the tongue use speech that is easily understood, how will anyone know what is being said? You will, in fact, be speaking into the air. 10 It may be that there are many kinds of speech in the world, and yet no kind is without meaning. 11 For if I do not understand the sense of the speech, I will be a foreigner to the one speaking, and the one speaking will be a foreigner to me.”
I cannot accept your conclusion KJV 1611 is in any way.... archaic. It is everything but.....that is an excuse for revision while the revisionist ad and subtract in intent and meaning. I have yet to have anyone providing a clear and specific example of that.
I have looked at comparisons on the net .....at a glance.... and what I saw was not of interest; ....I don't need to see a new edition which uses references to...gods....not...God (when I consulted the representatives I was told..."it's to bad you don't believe in the Trinity". I said wrong....I believe in the Trinity which represents the Father, The Son and the Holy spirit... then he said..."you got it...thus the three Gods"; I don't need a bible which is revised to disrespect God's word and His intent. et al, etc.
I am reminded of God's directions in these scriptures;
...Some things are reserved for our Father's knowledge only.
....it shall be revealed in due time.
I trust God to guide and reveal to me as needed.

Are you totally convinced that you are using the correct bible? If not.....don't hesitate to change.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s important to study; it’s helpful in time of trouble and good times; to learn things pertaining to faith and of God, and the Son of God, and God s chosen nation until being divorced.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I cannot accept your conclusion KJV 1611 is in any way.... archaic. It is everything but.....that is an excuse for revision while the revisionist ad and subtract in intent and meaning. I have yet to have anyone providing a clear and specific example of that.
Just because you don’t want to accept it doesn’t make the modern translations better or worse...it just means that language is now better understood and phrasing has to be done so that what is oddly phrased in Greek is correctly translated into the language of the day...in our case modern English. If you speak modern English and pray in modern English how is a modern English translation going to alter God’s word?

The thing is, you don’t really know how much the original KJV 1611 was altered in translation to begin with. You just assume that it wasn’t....and by the sounds of it you have no interest in finding out if the advances made in understanding Koine Greek (which was the language of the day in the first century) can really help us in understanding the Bible better.
I have looked at comparisons on the net .....at a glance.... and what I saw was not of interest; ....I don't need to see a new edition which uses references to...gods....not...God (when I consulted the representatives I was told..."it's to bad you don't believe in the Trinity". I said wrong....I believe in the Trinity which represents the Father, The Son and the Holy spirit... then he said..."you got it...thus the three Gods"; I don't need a bible which is revised to disrespect God's word and His intent. et al, etc.
So to you, three gods is unacceptable? It is to me as well.....The apostles knew who their God was...and who their “Lord” was.....the two are not the same...... here in 1 Cor 8:5-6...KJV the apostles said....
“For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) but to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.”
How does that compare with the 1611?

I am reminded of God's directions in these scriptures;
...Some things are reserved for our Father's knowledge only.
....it shall be revealed in due time.
I trust God to guide and reveal to me as needed.

Are you totally convinced that you are using the correct bible? If not.....don't hesitate to change.
I make sure that whatever translation I am using, consistently conveys the truth that is backed up by the whole of scripture. As long as you know the truth, any Bible can be used, but it takes study to know what it says on any subject....that way we cannot be led astray by isolated verses that seem to suggest something that the whole of scripture does not support.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL....i dont think you are aware;

Lord's prayer....thy kingdom comes thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven....
Bible revision edition....thy kingdom comes thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven....

Not only is not necessary...it is wrong grammar....It turns clear writings into ...well...babble.

I have already wasted too much time on this point.......my last comment.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
LOL....i dont think you are aware;

Lord's prayer....thy kingdom comes thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven....
Bible revision edition....thy kingdom comes thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven....
For the benefit of any readers here....please tell me what difference this makes? “On earth”....”In earth”...the Bible uses both terms.....it means the same thing.....and if that is the only example you can give me for clinging to the 1611 KJV, then I am not persuaded to accept a version of the Bible in an archaic language which was only a translation of men to begin with. We have learned a lot since the 1600’s so that now we fully understand what the original languages conveyed......something that isn’t translated into something that is easily understood is useless, as the Bible itself says 1 Cor 14:8-11.....especially to a new Christian.
Not only is not necessary...it is wrong grammar....It turns clear writings into ...well...babble.
Where is the babble? I see none....all I see is nit picking over nothing important. The one thing I picked in both examples you used is the word “comes” which is not what Jesus said....he was asking in prayer to “our Father” (our Father and his) for God’s Kingdom “TO COME”.....a future event that will mean that God’s will is “done on earth as it is in heaven”.
Have you ever analysed the Lord’s prayer word for word to see exactly what Jesus was teaching us to pray for? It was never given as the prayer for all occasions, because Jesus told us to “pray this way”....not “pray this prayer” repeatedly.

Matt 6:5-13....from a modern translation.....
“....when you pray, do not act like the hypocrites, for they like to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the main streets to be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your private room and, after shutting your door, pray to your Father who is in secret. Then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you. 7 When praying, do not say the same things over and over again as the people of the nations do, for they imagine they will get a hearing for their use of many words. 8 So do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need even before you ask him.

9 You must pray, then, this way:

“‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. 10 Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth. 11 Give us today our bread for this day; 12 and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And do not bring us into temptation,but deliver us from the wicked one.’”

Tell me what new Bible student would have difficulty understanding this passage in plain modern English? The wording is correct and the phrasing is grammatically correct and easily understood, as the Bible recommends.

I have already wasted too much time on this point.......my last comment.
As you wish, but you have hardly made a case for your choices....but they are yours to make.