Why is the need to study the bible for yourself; important?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Please give me an example of a 1611 edition KJV mistake that has been proven needed correction by later editions (most all are since the 1960's) correct?
Example...Pneuma=greek=ghost ...correct is..... Spirit.
The words “soul and spirit” and the words “hades and Gehenna” are good examples of different words in the original language that are misinterpreted.

Yes, there are no such things as “ghosts”. “Ghost” comes from a German word “geist” which means “spirit”.

Humans inhabit the material realm where God created them, and spirits inhabit the spirit realm where God created them.....so humans are “souls”...they do not become disembodied spirits unless they have been chosen to rule with Christ in his kingdom. Not all Christians go to heaven....the majority will become their subjects on earth where God will return them to life. (John 5:28-29)

A “soul” in the Hebrew Scriptures is basically any creature that breathes……animals and humans are all “souls”…and all are mortal. All breathe the same air and die the same death. (Eccl 3:19-20)

There is no mention of an immortal soul in any passage of scripture. No mortal can be immortal unless they are transformed by the one who created them....given a new birth in a new body. They then become spirits, not souls any longer.

The word spirit seems to be used interchangeably with soul for some reason, which is why there is so much confusion about death and where dead souls end up. The Bible does not mix them up.
There are two resurrections, to two different destinations.....the “first resurrection” is for the elect (Rev 20:6) but for the vast majority of those “sleeping in death” in sheol/hades.....they are called from their graves by Jesus when he rules in his Father’s kingdom. (John 5:28-29)

“Hell” is another word completely mistranslated and misinterpreted.
There is no such place as a “hell of eternal torment” in the Bible. Jesus mentions “Gehenna” as a symbolic place, a literal place with a symbolic meaning to his Jewish audience.
It was a literal garbage dump where garbage was disposed of.....even human garbage. Fires were kept burning day and night with the addition of Sulfur (brimstone) in order to consume the rubbish. Nothing alive was ever thrown into Gehenna.

There is no conscious part of man that departs from the body at death.....(Eccl 9:5, 10)

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I dont mind sitting and reading outloud the King James Version to myself, a 1611 might be harder for me to read; if someone is able to experience ; try it out.

There are mistranslations, Errors and Mistranslations in the KJV, no bible is perfect. That is why it is important to study, in order to learn and grow and progress in knowledge if one so desires to.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The words “soul and spirit” and the words “hades and Gehenna” are good examples of different words in the original language that are misinterpreted.

Yes, there are no such things as “ghosts”. “Ghost” comes from a German word “geist” which means “spirit”.

Humans inhabit the material realm where God created them, and spirits inhabit the spirit realm where God created them.....so humans are “souls”...they do not become disembodied spirits unless they have been chosen to rule with Christ in his kingdom. Not all Christians go to heaven....the majority will become their subjects on earth where God will return them to life. (John 5:28-29)

A “soul” in the Hebrew Scriptures is basically any creature that breathes……animals and humans are all “souls”…and all are mortal. All breathe the same air and die the same death. (Eccl 3:19-20)

There is no mention of an immortal soul in any passage of scripture. No mortal can be immortal unless they are transformed by the one who created them....given a new birth in a new body. They then become spirits, not souls any longer.

The word spirit seems to be used interchangeably with soul for some reason, which is why there is so much confusion about death and where dead souls end up. The Bible does not mix them up.
There are two resurrections, to two different destinations.....the “first resurrection” is for the elect (Rev 20:6) but for the vast majority of those “sleeping in death” in sheol/hades.....they are called from their graves by Jesus when he rules in his Father’s kingdom. (John 5:28-29)

“Hell” is another word completely mistranslated and misinterpreted.
There is no such place as a “hell of eternal torment” in the Bible. Jesus mentions “Gehenna” as a symbolic place, a literal place with a symbolic meaning to his Jewish audience.
It was a literal garbage dump where garbage was disposed of.....even human garbage. Fires were kept burning day and night with the addition of Sulfur (brimstone) in order to consume the rubbish. Nothing alive was ever thrown into Gehenna.

There is no conscious part of man that departs from the body at death.....(Eccl 9:5, 10)
You did not address or attempt answering my question!!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You did not address or attempt answering my question!!
OK....you asked....

“Please give me an example of a 1611 edition KJV mistake that has been proven needed correction by later editions (most all are since the 1960's) correct?
Example...Pneuma=greek=ghost ...correct is..... Spirit.”

Why do you think there have been corrections since the 1060’s as you say?
Linguistics have continued to improve our understanding of the original languages.....the more time goes on, the more refined their understanding becomes. That makes something from 1611, a dinosaur in this 21st century.

God did not write the KJV......men did. It is a translation like any other English version. You can alter the phrasing and even some words, but you cannot alter the message. My original Bible study was in the KJV and it was the study of the original language words and how they are translated in other verses that rounded out my understanding and alerted me to the errors in translation due to bias in the KJV, and those who took their renderings from it.

You are free to stick to the dinosaur, but it’s extinction makes correct understanding very difficult for new Bible students.
Do you want to hold on to the errors, or can you widen out in your acceptance of other more accurate translations that speak in the language of our day? What is the purpose of a translation if it fails to convey the original message accurately? No one speaks that dead language anymore.

There is somewhat of a superstitious clinging to the old KJV that I personally fail to understand....
What is the basis for it...?

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK....you asked....

“Please give me an example of a 1611 edition KJV mistake that has been proven needed correction by later editions (most all are since the 1960's) correct?

Linguistics have continued to improve our understanding of the original languages.....the more time goes on, the more refined their understanding becomes. That makes something from 1611, a dinosaur in this 21st century.

God did not write the KJV......men did. It is a translation like any other English version. You can alter the phrasing and even some words, but you cannot alter the message. My original Bible study was in the KJV and it was the study of the original language words and how they are translated in other verses that rounded out my understanding and alerted me to the errors in translation due to bias in the KJV, and those who took their renderings from it.

You are free to stick to the dinosaur, but it’s extinction makes correct understanding very difficult for new Bible students.
Do you want to hold on to the errors, or can you widen out in your acceptance of other more accurate translations that speak in the language of our day? What is the purpose of a translation if it fails to convey the original message accurately? No one speaks that dead language anymore.

There is somewhat of a superstitious clinging to the old KJV that I personally fail to understand....
Originality and compared to the ....new age religion ones....there is no attempt to change intent and meaning.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK....you asked....

Haven't seen one yet.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Haven't seen one yet.
Then I assume that you have never taught a Bible student out of that outdated version....?
When someone decided to use their KJV to study the Bible with me, I gave them the option of comparison with a more modern English translation.....they soon switched to the one they could more easily understand.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then I assume that you have never taught a Bible student out of that outdated version....?
When someone decided to use their KJV to study the Bible with me, I gave them the option of comparison with a more modern English translation.....they soon switched to the one they could more easily understand.
It seems you like being wrong. It's their choice with admonitions.

Use as you wish....as for me and my home ...we will stick with God's most original word.

Last edited:

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you explain why one new edition refers to ...gods....instead of God? Let me know your explanation. When I challenged them their explanation was ...trinity...three gods.
Sorry u believe that.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you think it is a good thing to study the bible and why?

Study reveals SAME words that have duel intents.
Some acts the word describes, Glorifies God, while Some is a Shame unto God.

The word “KISS” for example.

The intent of that word, involves the mouth of one individual’s act, placing his lips against something else…a person, place, thing…

The act of the “kiss” of the individual:
can Glorify God before the eyes of the world or be a Shame before the eyes of God.

Yes, I am a proponent of Scriptural Study.
Because I believe by Studying, an individual’s knowledge is expanded to understand;
How to Glorify God before the eyes of the world and how to be a Shame before the eyes of God.

Glory to God,
Taken

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Use as you wish....as for me and my home ...we will stick wit God's most original word.
“God’s most original word” wasn’t written in archaic English….try a Jewish Tanakh or a Greek interlinear and you might learn a few things that the old KJV has been missing all these years.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did you explain why one new edition refers to ...gods....instead of God? Let me know your explanation.
Reference please….
When I challenged them their explanation was ...trinity...three gods.
Sorry u believe that.
I don’t believe in the trinity…..which is why I don’t use the KJV. It was translated by trinitarians and exhibits obvious bias. There is no trinity in the Hebrew Scriptures which was used by Jesus and his apostles. (Deut 6:4)
What appears as the English translation of the Greek Scriptures is not what the original text says.
Since there is not one direct statement from either God or Jesus that they are part of a “godhead”, the English translators often only imply what is not written by how they translate one language to another. It’s deception at its best. Implication is not fact.…but suggestion is powerful when there is no direct statement and the chosen wording twists the meaning.

The concept of the trinity is Catholic, not Christian, not scriptural, not taught by Christ….so I reject it.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reference please….

I don’t believe in the trinity…..which is why I don’t use the KJV. It was translated by trinitarians and exhibits obvious bias. There is no trinity in the Hebrew Scriptures which was used by Jesus and his apostles. (Deut 6:4)
What appears as the English translation of the Greek Scriptures is not what the original text says.
Since there is not one direct statement from either God or Jesus that they are part of a “godhead”, the English translators often only imply what is not written by how they translate one language to another. It’s deception at its best. Implication is not fact.…but suggestion is powerful when there is no direct statement and the chosen wording twists the meaning.

The concept of the trinity is Catholic, not Christian, not scriptural, not taught by Christ….so I reject it.
I thought I detected some ...new age religion...presence in your thinking.
Until you believe in God's word.....study.
I recommend 1611 edition Of KJV.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“God’s most original word” wasn’t written in archaic English….try a Jewish Tanakh or a Greek interlinear and you might learn a few things that the old KJV has been missing all these years.
I know it was first written in the original Hebrew words......Aramaic.
That was not english !!!!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its always good to take time to yourself to study any given topic related to biblical topics, its important to always consider the context and history along with asking, who, when, what, where, how. Asking oneself many questions along the way, even praying that God will help one understand by the spirit to be able to have love for God and love for others. There are something in the bible the questions could be endless and circling, but those in which end in a certain point may learn something that might be more significant than the endless questions when a biblical study you did yourself has been answered or atleast in part.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I thought I detected some ...new age religion...presence in your thinking.
LOL......You mean like the way Jews reacted to Jesus and his apostles when he presented teachings that conflicted with their understanding of the scriptures tainted by hundreds of years of apostasy?

Christendom is a mirror image of first century Judaism....same attitude, same false teachings adopted and taught as truth over centuries, and the same author of those apostate ideas dressed up as scriptural truth....”the father of the lie”. These are the “weeds” that Jesus warned about...a counterfeit “Christianity” sown by the devil as soon as the apostles were out of his way.

Daniel foretold that at “the time of the end”, God would “cleanse, whiten and refine” his people of all the rot that they had been fed over time, and get them back to the truth as taught by his son.

“As for you, Daniel, keep the words secret, and seal up the book until the time of the end. Many will rove about, and knowledge will become abundant.” (Daniel 12:4) We live in an age where information is available to all at the click of a mouse, or the tap of a screen. There is so much information, it’s mind boggling!
Then he said again in vs 9-10.....“Go, Daniel, because the words are to be kept secret and sealed up until the time of the end. 10 Many will cleanse themselves and whiten themselves and will be refined. And the wicked ones will act wickedly, and none of the wicked will understand; but those having insight will understand.”

Why would there be a need to “cleanse, whiten and refine” his people if the spiritual contamination that had crept into God’s worship, hadn’t happened? When were the “weeds” of Jesus’ parable sown? The apostles said that the foretold apostasy was “already at work” in their day, so the defection is not recent. (2 Thess 2:6-12)

God’s true worshippers (the ones who recognise the truth when they hear it, like a remnant of the first century Jews did) would be the only ones given insight and understanding at this time.....where we are now...deep into the “time of the end” when all the features Jesus foretold in Matt 24:1-14, would be evident.

Until you believe in God's word.....study.
I have been a student and teacher of God’s word for over 50 years.....and what I have studied has led me to where I am today. “New age”?...or “cleansed and refined” of the rubbish taught by the divided churches of Christendom? I left that rabble a very long time ago....along with that outdated Bible that so many seem to worship as though God himself wrote every word in olde English.
I recommend 1611 edition Of KJV.
You can recommend it all you like....I know what I believe and why I believe it.
I studied the KJV as my first and only Bible, but as I widened out in my study of the original languages, it became very apparent that the KJV was an inaccurate translation, full of errors and bias towards the false foundation upon which the whole of Christendom is built. Could they all be wrong? (Matt 7:13-14) Why are”few” found on the “cramped and narrow” road to life?

I know it was first written in the original Hebrew words......Aramaic.
That was not english !!!!
You are almost correct, Aramaic was closely related to Hebrew, using the same alphabet. It was originally spoken by the Aramaeans but later became the international language of trade and communication in the Assyrian and Babylonian empires. It was also the official administrative language of the Persian Empire, hence why letters to the Persian King “Artaxeres” was written in his language. (Ezra 4:7) Only parts of the books of Ezra, Jeremiah, and Daniel were written in Aramaic....and for a good reason.
Just one verse in Jeremiah is written in Aramaic and some chapters in Daniel addressing Nebuchadnezzar in his own language.

How extensive is your own study of the Bible, I wonder? If you have never strayed from the old KJV?.....it’s a pity, because you might be depriving yourself of some really important information in this “time of the end”....

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL......You mean like the way Jews reacted to Jesus and his apostles when he presented teachings that conflicted with their understanding of the scriptures tainted by hundreds of years of apostasy?

Christendom is a mirror image of first century Judaism....same attitude, same false teachings adopted and taught as truth over centuries, and the same author of those apostate ideas dressed up as scriptural truth....”the father of the lie”. These are the “weeds” that Jesus warned about...a counterfeit “Christianity” sown by the devil as soon as the apostles were out of his way.

Daniel foretold that at “the time of the end”, God would “cleanse, whiten and refine” his people of all the rot that they had been fed over time, and get them back to the truth as taught by his son.

“As for you, Daniel, keep the words secret, and seal up the book until the time of the end. Many will rove about, and knowledge will become abundant.” (Daniel 12:4) We live in an age where information is available to all at the click of a mouse, or the tap of a screen. There is so much information, it’s mind boggling!
Then he said again in vs 9-10.....“Go, Daniel, because the words are to be kept secret and sealed up until the time of the end. 10 Many will cleanse themselves and whiten themselves and will be refined. And the wicked ones will act wickedly, and none of the wicked will understand; but those having insight will understand.”

Why would there be a need to “cleanse, whiten and refine” his people if the spiritual contamination that had crept into God’s worship, hadn’t happened? When were the “weeds” of Jesus’ parable sown? The apostles said that the foretold apostasy was “already at work” in their day, so the defection is not recent. (2 Thess 2:6-12)

God’s true worshippers (the ones who recognise the truth when they hear it, like a remnant of the first century Jews did) would be the only ones given insight and understanding at this time.....where we are now...deep into the “time of the end” when all the features Jesus foretold in Matt 24:1-14, would be evident.

I have been a student and teacher of God’s word for over 50 years.....and what I have studied has led me to where I am today. “New age”?...or “cleansed and refined” of the rubbish taught by the divided churches of Christendom? I left that rabble a very long time ago....along with that outdated Bible that so many seem to worship as though God himself wrote every word in olde English.

You can recommend it all you like....I know what I believe and why I believe it.
I studied the KJV as my first and only Bible, but as I widened out in my study of the original languages, it became very apparent that the KJV was an inaccurate translation, full of errors and bias towards the false foundation upon which the whole of Christendom is built. Could they all be wrong? (Matt 7:13-14) Why are”few” found on the “cramped and narrow” road to life?

You are almost correct, Aramaic was closely related to Hebrew, using the same alphabet. It was originally spoken by the Aramaeans but later became the international language of trade and communication in the Assyrian and Babylonian empires. It was also the official administrative language of the Persian Empire, hence why letters to the Persian King “Artaxeres” was written in his language. (Ezra 4:7) Only parts of the books of Ezra, Jeremiah, and Daniel were written in Aramaic....and for a good reason.
Just one verse in Jeremiah is written in Aramaic and some chapters in Daniel addressing Nebuchadnezzar in his own language.

How extensive is your own study of the Bible, I wonder? If you have never strayed from the old KJV?.....it’s a pity, because you might be depriving yourself of some really important information in this “time of the end”....
Oh...i doubt it.
I am always willing to listen and consider...but, not with the new age religion concepts which include;

Warped interpretation of God's word
Baptism isn't necessary
Universalism is the path of righteousness
OSAS
Many interpretations of His word since the 1960's (What.... during that era with the gross loss of following Christ and open sinfulness we became smarter?).... Good luck on that one...it hasn't stopped declining yet and wont.

A new one on the the way by Andy Stanley...Ohio...mega.........i have heard......we do not have to follow God's commandments....Christ removed that from our shoulders, etc. Can you believe that one? Maybe u do.
et al,Etc..

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh...i doubt it.
I am always willing to listen and consider...but, not with the new age religion concepts which include;
You don’t have to be “new age” to be different. Was Jesus “new age” in his day? Or was he the one trying to reestablish the truth of God’s word, lost in the many man made traditions of the Jewish leaders? Jesus said that this made their worship “in vain ”.....because they were the teachings and traditions of men....NOT God. (Matt 15:7-9)
Warped interpretation of God's word
Baptism isn't necessary
Universalism is the path of righteousness
OSAS
I reject all those too....but don’t forget that the Jews had warped the meaning of scripture long before Jesus’ was born and then accused him of doing the same when he took up his ministry....who was correct...the hated and persecuted minority who followed Jesus, or the majority who were led by the ones who ended up becoming murderers of God’s son? Why are “few” on the road to life? Where does that leave the “many”?
Many interpretations of His word since the 1960's (What.... during that era with the gross loss of following Christ and open sinfulness we became smarter?).... Good luck on that one...it hasn't stopped declining yet and wont.
Since it was God who said that “knowledge” would “become abundant” in this “time of the end”....not all knowledge is to be despised. We can accept what scripture supports, and reject what the world’s knowledge claims is truth without evidence.
A new one on the the way by Andy Stanley...Ohio...mega.........i have heard......we do not have to follow God's commandments....Christ removed that from our shoulders, etc. Can you believe that one? Maybe u do.
et al,Etc..
I believe only what God’s word says.....I am not a part of Christendom who, despite being horribly divided on so many issues, remain united as far as their foundational beliefs are concerned. The same core of beliefs that are found in all false worship in this world.

The truth is the truth and no human can change it....though many have tried. These mega churches are never the way to God...they are all about emotional appeal and donations, aggrandizing the preachers who are whipping them up. It’s a poor substitute for learning God’s word.

Worshipping God should not be about money, even though it is a necessary evil to pay our way. It is no surprise that Jesus said “the love of money is the root of all evil”.....so not money itself, but the love of it and what it can buy. It most certainly is the reason for a lot of this world’s heartache.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You ask if Jesus was a .....new age....(I conclude you mean .....religion....) I would say not...otherwise He would have no faith in His Father.
There have been many elements of society against God and His word through out history. The righteous have shown their opposition correctly so.
Presently there are those of us who are expressing our indignation at what society is doing to God;s word...in hopes of at least limiting it from advancing.