Why is the need to study the bible for yourself; important?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do would think that the bible is good for study, and what is your reasoning in why someone should do such things?

Some people out there can study the bible, but be spiritually dead...

Do you need the spirit to help you in your studies as you go along? Trusting; praying and asking God to help you understand what you are reading and what is the thinking?

Especially considering that Jesus and the words he speaks are spiritual and life... ? Doesn't that also have to be taken into effect.

Why do you think it is a good thing to study the bible and why?

Do you need to believe whatever everyone elses opinions are? Or investigate for yourself?

There are six books I own for help in study.

(HOLMAN study bible)
(Hebrew and Greek dictionary)
(Just a great overview of the bible in a form of topics over 8,000)
(Always use to be near where bibles were sold a inter-testimonial from someone who lived in the times of the apostles)
(Just a general summary off foot notes of and on Revelation, there is a bigger collection found (Revelations on Revelation | Commentary Collection, Volumes 1-22 — Shawn McCraney)

(I personally don't care if people press the like button to give me to the okay to say "this is a statement I agree with' never agree with me... search and seek out God, and he will help you)

Do you need approval from others? Or can God correct people who are in error?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gottservant

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Studying the scriptures is a daunting task. It's not easy by a long stretch.

And the many bits of information gleaned by doing so takes time. It's not for everyone...when I'm in my studies it took a looonnng time before I could say I understood them. Pastors can't explain any of this from a pulpit because they are there to entertain and not teach. I can easily put the "drool" in "school" by explaining the process of deciphering the scriptures.

But the process of having a question and then looking for answers to that question which creates more questions which you search for answers to has a name. It's called "the walk" or "The Way"....exactly the same name the Early Christians had before being called "little Messiahs" or commonly called today Christians.

Not everyone is cut out for studying this way. Not everyone is cut out for telling what they have learned. Not everyone can provide comfort for the hurt or brokenhearted.

Everyone has their set of gifts given to them by God.

But yet....
With a huge amount of hubris we have among us those who claim they have the Holy Spirit teach them the intracacies of the scriptures. But usually it's something akin to "the force" from a sci fiction movie they are really using....or perhaps osmosis as they fell asleep with a bible on their head. And these people have no real fear of God whatsoever....or else they would definitely be afraid of getting it wrong.

It's the same as standing in a carport and claiming to be an automobile while making noises similar to a car or truck. (I make great noises....perhaps I should make a youtube or TicTok video) However how good of noises I make I still am not an automobile.
People lie to themselves to the point they believe the lie....but when did we ever think that a "Karen" was a Christian except when he/she is leading a small group Bible study ?

Just saying.

Reactions: Cassandra

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Studying the scriptures is a daunting task. It's not easy by a long stretch.

And the many bits of information gleaned by doing so takes time. It's not for everyone...when I'm in my studies it took a looonnng time before I could say I understood them. Pastors can't explain any of this from a pulpit because they are there to entertain and not teach. I can easily put the "drool" in "school" by explaining the process of deciphering the scriptures.

But the process of having a question and then looking for answers to that question which creates more questions which you search for answers to has a name. It's called "the walk" or "The Way"....exactly the same name the Early Christians had before being called "little Messiahs" or commonly called today Christians.

Not everyone is cut out for studying this way. Not everyone is cut out for telling what they have learned. Not everyone can provide comfort for the hurt or brokenhearted.

Everyone has their set of gifts given to them by God.

But yet....
With a huge amount of hubris we have among us those who claim they have the Holy Spirit teach them the intracacies of the scriptures. But usually it's something akin to "the force" from a sci fiction movie they are really using....or perhaps osmosis as they fell asleep with a bible on their head. And these people have no real fear of God whatsoever....or else they would definitely be afraid of getting it wrong.

It's the same as standing in a carport and claiming to be an automobile while making noises similar to a car or truck. (I make great noises....perhaps I should make a youtube or TicTok video) However how good of noises I make I still am not an automobile.
People lie to themselves to the point they believe the lie....but when did we ever think that a "Karen" was a Christian except when he/she is leading a small group Bible study ?

Just saying.
Isnt that just called laziness? Im guilty of that.

It's just good to be able to read in my opinion, the bible cause it so useful for the soul the thing is the Flesh hates it... and I get some people cant read and all that is okay, however people who seek will seek after God, and to hear the word, but like you said it's an daunting task.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnDB

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My suggestion for anyone who just reading though, would be to start with Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, and start there and learn about Jesus and the history surrounding him, afterwards, going on through Acts - Revelation, then go through Old Testament.

I never went to school, but there is a friend of mine who has a school for anyone that desires to go and learn, called www.cult.love.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isnt that just called laziness? Im guilty of that.

It's just good to be able to read in my opinion, the bible cause it so useful for the soul the thing is the Flesh hates it... and I get some people cant read and all that is okay, however people who seek will seek after God, and to hear the word, but like you said it's an daunting task.
I really wouldn't characterize it as laziness...

There are those that really enjoy studying. Then there are those that would rather spend their time in a homeless shelter or hospice center or marriage counseling....

It doesn't mean that one is better than the other. We ALL need each other. Not exactly a popular teaching as someone will be offended by something and everyone gets jealous of someone else's ability or gets jealous of the gravitas of another. (As humans we suck)
I'm not saying that the janitor should get paid the same as the lead pastor...that's an overly simplistic approach that devalues the lead pastor.

Those of us whom have gifts and talents aren't all the same and that is what is necessary to create an entire kingdom of people.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t study the Bible. This will cause many to be intimidated and not bother reading the Bible at all.

Just pick up the Holy Bible and read.

Listen and obey.

It’s that simple.

:Thumbsup:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scriptures never tell us to “study” them.

We are commanded to hear, read, and OBEY them!

“Stand in the gate of the LORD'S house, and proclaim there this word, and say, Hear the word of the LORD…” (Jeremiah 7:2)

“Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.” (Ezekiel 3:17)

Hear the word of the LORD…” (Hosea 4:1)

“And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,” (Luke 5:1)

“…Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him…” (Matthew 12:3)

“And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.” (Colossians 4:16)

Heretics “study” the Bible.

Obedient Christians read, hear, and obey!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really wouldn't characterize it as laziness...

There are those that really enjoy studying. Then there are those that would rather spend their time in a homeless shelter or hospice center or marriage counseling....

It doesn't mean that one is better than the other. We ALL need each other. Not exactly a popular teaching as someone will be offended by something and everyone gets jealous of someone else's ability or gets jealous of the gravitas of another. (As humans we suck)
I'm not saying that the janitor should get paid the same as the lead pastor...that's an overly simplistic approach that devalues the lead pastor.

Those of us whom have gifts and talents aren't all the same and that is what is necessary to create an entire kingdom of people.

Well, some of the things, that Jesus said offends people - and if you offended someone and are persecuted because of it, and then decide, maybe it is not all worth it after all...

that is a problem :(

Jesus said that himself

beauties are nice

And I am not saying you go out on a limb to offended people just to play "persecution"

The Beatitudes​

He said:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

It's all Christ in you, that they may not like.. or they may be afraid of... it is never you personally exactly... you know?? CAuse he said it is him - so you allowing God to work in and through you and the spirit of Christ come through you can offended people and they may talk abotu you behind your back just like him...

to love is the goal. love through all that worldly fleshly stuff.

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The scriptures never tell us to “study” them.

We are commanded to hear, read, and OBEY them!
This is true, but in order to obey, you need to know what God’s word says….and why he said it.
Bible study provides us with conviction about what we hold as truth. It’s not enough to just believe because the Bible tells us to….we have to study it carefully like the ancient Beroeans….to prove to ourselves that what we believe is true.

Acts 17:10-11…….”Immediately by night the brothers sent both Paul and Silas to Be·roeʹa. On arriving, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

2 Timothy 2:15….“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (For the KJV buffs)

Its not Bible study that’s the problem…..but the teachers, and the spin they may put on the words and concepts of the scriptures.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is true, but in order to obey, you need to know what God’s word says….and why he said it.
Bible study provides us with conviction about what we hold as truth. It’s not enough to just believe because the Bible tells us to….we have to study it carefully like the ancient Beroeans….to prove to ourselves that what we believe is true.

Acts 17:10-11…….”Immediately by night the brothers sent both Paul and Silas to Be·roeʹa. On arriving, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

2 Timothy 2:15….“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (For the KJV buffs)

Its not Bible study that’s the problem…..but the teachers, and the spin they may put on the words and concepts of the scriptures.

Good points.

But the overwhelming emphasis in the scripture is to read, hear, and obey,

Searching the scriptures and studying to show yourself approved in them is accomplished by continuing in reading the scriptures.

Many people make out understanding the scriptures to be some huge task in studying, but that fallacy only turns people away who otherwise might read them more frequently!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Good points.

But the overwhelming emphasis in the scripture is to read, hear, and obey,
If we go back to Eden, we see that the whole sad history of mankind was the result of disobedience to the word or command of God. There was only one rule, and they threw their lot in with the devil and obeyed him, bringing the penalty of death upon the whole human race.
Searching the scriptures and studying to show yourself approved in them is accomplished by continuing in reading the scriptures.
I agree, but understanding what you read in context prevents you from reading ‘into’ the scriptures what is not there. So many times I see verses quoted out of context to suggest what was never said....this is why I believe that Bible study is important.
Many people make out understanding the scriptures to be some huge task in studying, but that fallacy only turns people away who otherwise might read them more frequently!
You can blame the religious system known as Christendom for that. The early church apostatised and adopted the Jewish model of the priesthood, which was actually a model of things to come. (types and shadows)
In original Christianity there was no earthly priesthood and no grand, ornate temple-like structures where worship was to be conducted by men and in distinctive apparel and headgear. The old Jewish system was to be replaced by a simpler earthly arrangement, where those chosen for the priesthood had to die and be resurrected in order to fulfill that role. (Rev 20:6) The Christian priesthood operates in heaven where the grand spiritual Temple of God is located. The earthly Temple was destroyed and it was never rebuilt for that reason.

The Jews had built synagogues in their local areas so that travelling to the Temple in Jerusalem was not necessary to conduct weekly worship services....yet there was no command from God to do so. Jesus and his family travelled to Jerusalem three times a year in obedience to Deut 16:16, because God chose Jerusalem as the place for his Temple to be constructed.

Jesus and his apostles taught in the synagogues until the Jews forced them to go elsewhere. What they taught was contrary to what the Pharisees taught and we see that the educated Pharisees looked down on Jesus and his disciples because they were “uneducated” by Jewish standards.....yet the Christians as (as they came to be known) were educated by the greatest teacher who ever lived!

It was the leaders of what became “Christendom” who separated the “clergy” from the “laity”...a division that did not exist in original Christianity. There was no rank or special education, though the men who were appointed as teachers and shepherds had to have spiritual qualifications rather than just educational ones.
There were no titles or distinctive clothing as all were of equal standing in the congregation.

Matthew 23:5-12...speaking of the Pharisees, Jesus said....
“All the works they do, they do to be seen by men, for they broaden the scripture-containing cases that they wear as safeguards and lengthen the fringes of their garments. 6 They like the most prominent place at evening meals and the front seats in the synagogues 7 and the greetings in the marketplaces and to be called Rabbi by men. 8 But you, do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your Teacher, and all of you are brothers. 9 Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. 10 Neither be called leaders, for your Leader is one, the Christ. 11 But the greatest one among you must be your minister. 12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Is it any wonder that the average person has been influenced to believe that Bible study requires a college education and degrees in order to be “ordained” as a minister (or servant) of God? Not so.

It is true that we need guidance in our study of the Bible, but it’s who we choose to guide us that makes all the difference. The Ethiopian eunuch was a case in point. He was reading from the prophet Isaiah and Philip was instructed to approach this Jewish proselyte and explain the prophesy he had been reading concerning the Messiah. (Acts 8:30-31) No one can just pick up the Bible and read it it with understanding.....guidance is required by one who is familiar with the Bible’s overall theme and teachings. I find that Christendom’s clergy might have a degree in theology, but they have often woeful ignorance of the Bible outside of their own church doctrines.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ElieG12

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but understanding what you read in context prevents you from reading ‘into’ the scriptures what is not there

A heresy is plainly spotted when knowing what the scriptures plainly say.

It’s the heretic that throws the word “context” around because the truths in scripture are easily seen. But the heretic needs us to understand a lie under the “context” that the devil taught him.

“yea, hath God said?” Said Satan.

Then he gave Eden his lying “context”.

Adam and Eve needed no contextual understanding of God’s command; they only needed to obey it after hearing it!

So many times I see verses quoted out of context to suggest what was never said....

It’s not even that’s it’s “out of context”, its just a simple lie. Let’s not give them a cloak to hide under. Just call them out with the scriptures that expose them. That’s all.

we need guidance in our study of the Bible,

Really?

You need guidance when you read scriptures telling you “don’t do this, do that”?

No guidance is needed for scriptures like these:

“Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.” (Isaiah 1:16-17)

Just obey!

Scriptures like these are all that matter to be in a right relationship with God. Everything else is secondary. The things that people occupy themselves in scripture are often things that don’t pertain to righteousness and holiness because those things are the easiest things to understand, but the hardest to do when you don’t want to do them! So they wander off into “prophecies” and “timelines” and things that inflate their egos because of their much “study”. All the while neglecting righteousness and holiness!

Jesus told us:

“…It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.” (Acts 1:7)

But those who wish to disobey need more “guidance”.

Like this fellow:

“But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?” (Luke 10:29)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are six books I own for help in study.

(HOLMAN study bible)
(Hebrew and Greek dictionary)
(Just a great overview of the bible in a form of topics over 8,000)
(Always use to be near where bibles were sold a inter-testimonial from someone who lived in the times of the apostles)
(Just a general summary off foot notes of and on Revelation, there is a bigger collection found (Revelations on Revelation | Commentary Collection, Volumes 1-22 — Shawn McCraney)

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG

“…we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.” (1 Thessalonians 4:1)

No study book in the world can help you with that.

Only one book and one alone CAN:

THE HOLY BIBLE.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree @Michiah-Imla. In the end it boils down to do people by the spirit: love. Love God, and their fellow man. They also are told to love themselves (a term which I use to think of as negative.)

To love one self is to seek out wisdom, and learning and understanding.

Proverbs 19:8 The one who gets wisdom loves life; the one who cherishes understanding will soon prosper.

Some people would suggest that is wrong to seek out information other than the bible, but there are many people who may gently guide in ones understanding especially in a history that people normally start off never understanding in the first place.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do would think that the bible is good for study, and what is your reasoning in why someone should do such things?

Do you need the spirit to help you in your studies as you go along? Trusting; praying and asking God to help you understand what you are reading and what is the thinking?

Especially considering that Jesus and the words he speaks are spiritual and life... ? Doesn't that also have to be taken into effect.

Do you need to believe whatever everyone elses opinions are? Or investigate for yourself?

(I personally don't care if people press the like button to give me to the okay to say "this is a statement I agree with' never agree with me... search and seek out God, and he will help you)

The Bible is the only book I know that has the words of God and Jesus.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Because many are being fooled by false teachings from men or 'tradition' whose origin is from the adversary. The Bible warned us this would come..

2 Timothy 4:3-5 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

2 Peter 2:1-3 1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.

1 John 4:1-6 1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world. 4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6 We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

2 John 1:7-11 7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8 Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward. 9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

Romans 16:17-18 17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. 18 For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple.

2 Corinthians 11:3-15 3 But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted you may well put up with it!
5 For I consider that I am not at all inferior to the most eminent apostles. 6 Even though I am untrained in speech, yet I am not in knowledge. But we have been thoroughly manifested among you in all things.
7 Did I commit sin in humbling myself that you might be exalted, because I preached the gospel of God to you free of charge? 8 I robbed other churches, taking wages from them to minister to you. 9 And when I was present with you, and in need, I was a burden to no one, for what I lacked the brethren who came from Macedonia supplied. And in everything I kept myself from being burdensome to you, and so I will keep myself. 10 As the truth of Christ is in me, no one shall stop me from this boasting in the regions of Achaia. 11 Why? Because I do not love you? God knows!
12 But what I do, I will also continue to do, that I may cut off the opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the things of which they boast. 13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Colossians 2:16-19 16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. 18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God.

2 Thessalonians 2:8-12 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

1 Timothy 6:3-5 3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, 4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, 5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.

Reactions: Cassandra