Why is the need to study the bible for yourself; important?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me it is important to read and investigate and truly seek everything out while you have life in you to do so. Remember that God does love you, and he does care about you and desires for us to ask him to help us in our life, and by the spirit he will help us and the spirit of Christ, while having fellowship with the Lord Yeshua, who is the Son of God. Many amazing and truth freeing aspects can be found when one decides to seek out for oneself what is said about the bible. A good recommended book reference to use is a Thompson Chain Reference, which everyone you would like.
More than any...... is the Bible.
Make sure you have the correct one.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Historically bible interpretation was less exhaustive because there were many less bible versions. Today there are so many changes being effected that much effort is expended in attempt to get the basics agreed too. Changes in the name of....easier to read.
Just wanted to make a point about the number of translations available, and why they were considered necessary…..not only in the name of “easier to read” but also with advances in linguistics and understanding of the original languages, showed up antiquated phrasing such as in the KJV, and errors in translation that have also been shown to be deliberate attempts to promote doctrines that were never in the original teaching of Jesus and his apostles.

To study the Bible requires a reliable concordance along with an interlinear to show us where the errors are, so we can correct them, or to even be aware of them.

I personally compare translations as I like to see how things are rendered in comparison to how the original text was translated. When phrasing is very different from one language to another, a translation has to convey as closely as possible what the intent of the original writings were. Using the entirety of scripture, the Bible usually interprets itself and shows up errors when some verses appear to contradict….God’s inspired word NEVER contradicts itself.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More than any...... is the Bible.
Make sure you have the correct one.
Also is its important to love God first and love others, keep in step with the spirit, and walk by faith. Amen.

Reactions: gpresdo

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a lot of benefit in studying, its hard. However there are questions that can be answered though perhaps not always.

Working on the cup of wrath subject… and man is it immensive, using a thompson chain referencr Guide with a NASB 2020 cross reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 0

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wanted to make a point about the number of translations available, and why they were considered necessary…..not only in the name of “easier to read” but also with advances in linguistics and understanding of the original languages, showed up antiquated phrasing such as in the KJV, and errors in translation that have also been shown to be deliberate attempts to promote doctrines that were never in the original teaching of Jesus and his apostles.

To study the Bible requires a reliable concordance along with an interlinear to show us where the errors are, so we can correct them, or to even be aware of them.

I personally compare translations as I like to see how things are rendered in comparison to how the original text was translated. When phrasing is very different from one language to another, a translation has to convey as closely as possible what the intent of the original writings were. Using the entirety of scripture, the Bible usually interprets itself and shows up errors when some verses appear to contradict….God’s inspired word NEVER contradicts itself.
Interesting rationale......what (only) three things do we need to know/do and live by to receive eternal salvation? Please state them.

Now...show me how the new editions represent those three things better vs 1611 KJV edition, for example?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting rationale......what (only) three things do we need to know/do and live by to receive eternal salvation? Please state them.
Since I do not believe in “eternal salvation” (salvation that cannot be lost) for the majority of those redeemed by Christ’s sacrificial death, I can only state what important things Jesus taught for the salvation that the whole Bible speaks about.

In my own studies, I found that the entirety of scripture must be taken into consideration when determining if a doctrine is soundly based on God’s word. The God of the Jews was after all, the God also of Jesus Christ. (Read Rev 3:12, which was written long after Jesus’ ascension to heaven, and see how many times he referred to his Father as “my God”.)

And since I have studied Christ’s teachings in depth I will offer John 17:3…
”This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.”
This is the important thing…to “know the only true God and the one he sent” to ransom sinful mankind.
But you have to do more than just know of God and to know about Jesus....you must be motivated by love to obey the Christ, as he obeyed his Father in all things.

Matt 22:32-40….
Jesus taught that the entire Mosaic Law, including the Ten Commandments, rested on two fundamental commandments. Quoting from the Hebrew Scriptures he said: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. The second, like it, is this: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments the whole Law hangs.”

So although Christians are not expected to observe the Mosaic Law, they are commanded to love God and their fellow man, especially their Christian brothers. (John 13:34-35; 1 John 4:20-21)

Now...show me how the new editions represent those three things better vs 1611 KJV edition, for example?
I can only submit that archaic English is not the language in which the Bible was written, and the English language has changed markedly since the 1611 translation was released.
For those not familiar with the words and phrasing of the old KJV, Bible study would be a nightmare.

Does God want us to learn a now dead language in order to read his word today?
Those who exclusively adhere to the KJV as if it were written by God himself, seem to miss the fact that it is a translation undertaken by men, that has been revised quite a few times.

Is it more important to read archaic English or to understand modern English…..? Do we speak like that to family and friends? If we did, wouldn’t people think we were strange? The Bible has been translated into many languages, so what is the big deal about the KJV? Is English the only important one? Doesn’t God speak all languages?

1 Cor 14:8-9…hits the nail on the head….
”For if the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for battle? 9 In the same way, unless you with the tongue use speech that is easily understood, how will anyone know what is being said? You will, in fact, be speaking into the air.”

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I do not believe in “eternal salvation” (salvation that cannot be lost) for the majority of those redeemed by Christ’s sacrificial death, I can only state what important things Jesus taught for the salvation that the whole Bible speaks about.

In my own studies, I found that the entirety of scripture must be taken into consideration when determining if a doctrine is soundly based on God’s word. The God of the Jews was after all, the God also of Jesus Christ. (Read Rev 3:12, which was written long after Jesus’ ascension to heaven, and see how many times he referred to his Father as “my God”.)

And since I have studied Christ’s teachings in depth I will offer John 17:3…
”This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.”
This is the important thing…to “know the only true God and the one he sent” to ransom sinful mankind.
But you have to do more than just know of God and to know about Jesus....you must be motivated by love to obey the Christ, as he obeyed his Father in all things.

Matt 22:32-40….
Jesus taught that the entire Mosaic Law, including the Ten Commandments, rested on two fundamental commandments. Quoting from the Hebrew Scriptures he said: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. The second, like it, is this: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments the whole Law hangs.”

So although Christians are not expected to observe the Mosaic Law, they are commanded to love God and their fellow man, especially their Christian brothers. (John 13:34-35; 1 John 4:20-21)

I can only submit that archaic English is not the language in which the Bible was written, and the English language has changed markedly since the 1611 translation was released.
For those not familiar with the words and phrasing of the old KJV, Bible study would be a nightmare.

Does God want us to learn a now dead language in order to read his word today?
Those who exclusively adhere to the KJV as if it were written by God himself, seem to miss the fact that it is a translation undertaken by men, that has been revised quite a few times.

Is it more important to read archaic English or to understand modern English…..? Do we speak like that to family and friends? If we did, wouldn’t people think we were strange? The Bible has been translated into many languages, so what is the big deal about the KJV? Is English the only important one? Doesn’t God speak all languages?

1 Cor 14:8-9…hits the nail on the head….
”For if the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for battle? 9 In the same way, unless you with the tongue use speech that is easily understood, how will anyone know what is being said? You will, in fact, be speaking into the air.”
Your explanations, justifications for a new bible, after new bible, are not justified.

Many changes in the new editions are for purposes of ...a new bible...for money...and/or to change God's word and has nothing to do with needed new editions. Here is the proof;

The three things needed for eternal salvation are;

1) Repentance
2) Baptism
3) Live a righteous life according to God's commandments...until the end.

Now read the KJV Bible 1611 edition and tell me what part of it relating to receiving eternal salvation needs re-explained?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Studying for oneself is something one does in order to learn and grow in the bible. It doesnt make one superior to anyone else, and I believe different translations of the Protestant Bible, could be useful to some degree or another. For a literal translation, Youngs Literal Translation is one I would make mention off. Have one myself it is intresting as it doesny use the world eternal, it switches that word up to “Age-enduring.”

You can see here:

68 Simon Peter, therefore, answered him, `Sir, unto whom shall we go? thou hast sayings of life age-during;

69 and we have believed, and we have known, that thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.'

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your explanations, justifications for a new bible, after new bible, are not justified.
That is the opinion of many KJV Only proponents....but it also is a justification. The KJV original or revised is written in what is now a dead language. 1 Cor 14:8-9 applies here.
Many changes in the new editions are for purposes of ...a new bible...for money...and/or to change God's word and has nothing to do with needed new editions.
I can’t argue with that....Christendom’s bookshops are filled with publications and Bibles that make them money, but Jesus offered to teach his disciples for free. Online Bibles now make hard copy unnecessary. They are free to access by anyone.....but if you don’t pay the owner of the site you will have to endure ads, because money makes the world go around.....should that be so?

When Jesus sent his disciples out with his message of salvation he said.....”you received free, give free”. (Matt 10:8) Does that happen? It seems ministers get paid to do everything these days. Should someone be paid for doing God’s work?
The three things needed for eternal salvation are;

1) Repentance
2) Baptism
3) Live a righteous life according to God's commandments...until the end.

Now read the KJV Bible 1611 edition and tell me what part of it relating to receiving eternal salvation needs re-explained?
You first have to understand a foreign language......no one speaks archaic English anymore....so unless the language is understandable to the average person, an old Bible translation is more of a hinderance than a blessing.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scriptures never tell us to “study” them.

We are commanded to hear, read, and OBEY them!

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Reactions: mailmandan

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good points.

But the overwhelming emphasis in the scripture is to read, hear, and obey,

Searching the scriptures and studying to show yourself approved in them is accomplished by continuing in reading the scriptures.

Many people make out understanding the scriptures to be some huge task in studying, but that fallacy only turns people away who otherwise might read them more frequently!

Studying the Bible consists of more than reading and obeying what it says. Study requires diligently searching for verses and passages that may confirm or dispute what we believe the verse or passage means. It is only though studying the Bible as a cohesive whole that we are able to understand without forcing contradiction through our opinions for what we think is being taught. One verse may cause us to believe one thing, but another, regarding the same topic, may say something else. How can we be sure which is correct unless we study the Bible as a whole? The Bible can be used as its own dictionary when we allow the Scriptures (all of them) to inform us without reading our opinions into it. This is a challenging task, but very rewarding, because it brings much peace to the heart when we KNOW what we believe is truth from the Scriptures. It takes a lifetime of study to learn what is truth and what is not, and this side of heaven we will all fall short of this goal. But just because in this life we will never have perfect understanding does not mean that we should not make that our goal in life if we love the Lord and have His Spirit to teach and guide us.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Studying for oneself is something one does in order to learn and grow in the bible. It doesnt make one superior to anyone else, and I believe different translations of the Protestant Bible, could be useful to some degree or another. For a literal translation, Youngs Literal Translation is one I would make mention off. Have one myself it is intresting as it doesny use the world eternal, it switches that word up to “Age-enduring.”

You can see here:

68 Simon Peter, therefore, answered him, `Sir, unto whom shall we go? thou hast sayings of life age-during;

69 and we have believed, and we have known, that thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.'
Exactly the problem with revisions.....how can lost of salvation be added to the meaning of ...age (all) enduring?

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the opinion of many KJV Only proponents....but it also is a justification. The KJV original or revised is written in what is now a dead language. 1 Cor 14:8-9 applies here.

I can’t argue with that....Christendom’s bookshops are filled with publications and Bibles that make them money, but Jesus offered to teach his disciples for free. Online Bibles now make hard copy unnecessary. They are free to access by anyone.....but if you don’t pay the owner of the site you will have to endure ads, because money makes the world go around.....should that be so?

When Jesus sent his disciples out with his message of salvation he said.....”you received free, give free”. (Matt 10:8) Does that happen? It seems ministers get paid to do everything these days. Should someone be paid for doing God’s work?

You first have to understand a foreign language......no one speaks archaic English anymore....so unless the language is understandable to the average person, an old Bible translation is more of a hinderance than a blessing.
God's words are not dead.
Be reminded of theses scriptures;....somethings are reserved for our Father's knowledge only....and...it shall be revealed in due time. Clear...revisions contribute not to more understanding....that is needed.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly the problem with revisions.....how can lost of salvation be added to the meaning of ...age (all) enduring?
The Bible is not something used to govern people though some can use it as such. There are a few revisions like new living translatiom, king james version (first started using), the New International Version is okay. To get a literal translation, the easiest access is to Youngs Literal Translation.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people believe that in heaven there could possibly new ages. Its up to speculation, I dont know for sure. Would have to look into the bible to find out more.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is not something used to govern people though some can use it as such. There are a few revisions like new living translatiom, king james version (first started using), the New International Version is okay. To get a literal translation, the easiest access is to Youngs Literal Translation.
Couldn't disagree with your thought more.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God's words are not dead.
I never said they were…you are assuming that the words of the original KJV are God’s words, when they are the interpretation of the original languages in which the Bible was written. This translating is the words that men have chosen to convey the truth contained in those original writings…..do you trust those men to have not brought their own bias into the task? Only a thorough knowledge of ALL that the Bible teaches will answer that question. I find that the KJV only proponents will never depart from that translation as if God himself penned every word……it is the words provided by men.…not God. By broadening out in your own knowledge of the scriptures and understanding what the words mean in their original languages…only then will you truly understand the Scriptures.
Be reminded of theses scriptures;....somethings are reserved for our Father's knowledge only....and...it shall be revealed in due time. Clear...revisions contribute not to more understanding....that is needed.
Revisions clarify past renderings that may not have been accurate….if you stick with a past mistake, everything you assume from that mistake will just keep supporting what is not true.

If the foundation is faulty, then nothing you build on it will be rock solid…..it will all collapse like the house built on sand, that Jesus spoke about.

We have to do our own homework…..lazy people won’t bother.…we cannot be closed minded, but we can’t be so open minded that our brains fall out either.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please give me an example of a 1611 edition KJV mistake that has been proven needed correction by later editions (most all are since the 1960's) correct?
Example...Pneuma=greek=ghost ...correct is..... Spirit.