Why millennials are leaving church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Subjective truth was brought up in the OP, and it is a post-modern idea.
Oh I see. Thank you. To address every specific point in the OP:

Here is a quote from Josho, "Well has this thread proven a point, it seems to me you get judged for just having a different political opinion or even trying to defend other Christians who support or vote for another political party."
Addressed in #12.
The reason I bring this up is to illustrate the point that having a different view or belief and telling someone theirs is wrong is not being judgemental.
(Pardon me Josho if that misrepresents your position but you didn't make it clear to me in that thread so I'm left to wonder.)

Post-modernism and subjective truth have crept into the church and many millennials are leaving because they have subscribed to this new false way of thinking where you have to accept something you don't agree with to be included as tolerant.
I think this is intermixing several issues. I'll separate out my thoughts into a few points:

- Disagreeing with somebody and being a judgmental jerk are two different things. It's entirely possible to disagree with someone, and being respectful & kind about it. You can have firms stances yourself and disagree with another person.

- I have *major* problems when somebody takes the stance of "I'm right, you're wrong and that gives me the excuse to be an downright abusive jerk to you until you do what I want." That's just not ok and not Christ-like, and people should flee from that.

- The above abusive judgmental stance is the result of being flawed humans, and you'll find that problem in every single camp of humans there is. All over the belief spectrum, all over the political spectrum, etc.

- "Post-modernism" is an extremely broad term, really could use focusing down to foster productive conversation.

Reactions: Josho and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Addressed in #12.

I think this is intermixing several issues. I'll separate out my thoughts into a few points:

- Disagreeing with somebody and being a judgmental jerk are two different things. It's entirely possible to disagree with someone, and being respectful & kind about it. You can have firms stances yourself and disagree with another person.

- I have *major* problems when somebody takes the stance of "I'm right, you're wrong and that gives me the excuse to be an downright abusive jerk to you until you do what I want." That's just not ok and not Christ-like, and people should flee from that.

- The above abusive judgmental stance is the result of being flawed humans, and you'll find that problem in every single camp of humans there is. All over the belief spectrum, all over the political spectrum, etc.

- "Post-modernism" is an extremely broad term, really could use focusing down to foster productive conversation.
Well stated!!

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not just Millennials leaving the Church. All kinds of folks are doing it. Why?

They are leaving the Church because they see through the lies you so called "Christians" keep telling them...

"God is Love and will burn you forever because he HATES you".

People aren't dumb. They know a contradiction when they see it, especially one that obvious.

Look in the mirror people. You only have yourselves to blame. You should have read your Bibles instead letting the deceivers tell you what to believe.

:rolleyes:

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, can someone shed some light on how post-modernist thought has crept into Christianity and influenced it?

Through deception and subterfuge just like the serpent in Genesis. Modernism is put in a beautiful package with a shiny bow but is pure ugliness inside the package

Reactions: teamventure

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think there are several reasons why the young generation are walking away from God...
One is the way they are getting educated... They aren't taught about God, they are taught about the pseudoscience of the big bang and evolution.

I studied engineering and simply assumed that the theory of evolution was as true... It wasn't until i looked at it closer that i realized it was not the same strict science used in engineering...
There is an anti-Christian movement that has been slowly eating away at society for decades now. We are now seeing the result of that...

Michie

Jun 28, 2020
Indy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There seemed to be an abrupt closing to the thread about that hillary clinton quote and millenials leaving church because they're too judgemental.

Here is a quote from Josho, "Well has this thread proven a point, it seems to me you get judged for just having a different political opinion or even trying to defend other Christians who support or vote for another political party."

Josho, my question to you is what statement's' in that thread were judgemental to you?

The reason I bring this up is to illustrate the point that having a different view or belief and telling someone theirs is wrong is not being judgemental.
(Pardon me Josho if that misrepresents your position but you didn't make it clear to me in that thread so I'm left to wonder.)

Post-modernism and subjective truth have crept into the church and many millennials are leaving because they have subscribed to this new false way of thinking where you have to accept something you don't agree with to be included as tolerant.
A moderator is like the SCOTUS but on a minuscule level. No moderator should give a monologue of their personal opinion. It should go strictly by board rules. Work on the board rules and you might have a chance. Apply those on the correct interpretation of the law set to operate by. Maturity and experience is needed in these positions.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A moderator is like the SCOTUS but on a minuscule level. No moderator should give a monologue of their personal opinion. It should go strictly by board rules. Work on the board rules and you might have a chance. Apply those on the correct interpretation of the law set to operate by. Maturity and experience is needed in these positions.

Absolutely

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Post modernism thought process puts more emphasis on personal opinions and feelings - Does this feel right to you? How do YOU see this color? while modernism is more propositional - this is right regardless of what you feel. This is "blue".

So when we entertain the notion that propositional truth may not be true for you, then you've disengaged your anchor, and truth becomes a matter of opinion.

What are the opinions of man compared to the truth of God?

Much love!

I see. This is how I understood it,
subjective truth vs. absolute truth
seems to be the main foundation
of post-modern thought, or rather
a lack of foundation.
Shalom!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
That's a totally different set of questions than the original post which focused on Millennials view of intermixing church and state (aka political-izing from the pulpit or vise versa).

We can get into seperation of church and state in this thread, I would like to explore that topic as well.
Shalom!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011

I see, forgive me I'm not very knowledgeable about message boards.
I apologize to Josho and I'll do some editing.

Reactions: Josho

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011

Addressed in #12.

Yep. I agree with all of that.
If there is more you can teach me about post-modernism especially in the church I would be curious to know

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
It's not just Millennials leaving the Church. All kinds of folks are doing it. Why?

They are leaving the Church because they see through the lies you so called "Christians" keep telling them...

"God is Love and will burn you forever because he HATES you".

People aren't dumb. They know a contradiction when they see it, especially one that obvious.

Look in the mirror people. You only have yourselves to blame. You should have read your Bibles instead letting the deceivers tell you what to believe.

:rolleyes:

Well, that is quite the strawman fallacy you've got going there.
See the thread about hellfire, we delve a bit into why there needs to be a hell.
Hope that helps.