Why Parables ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
how should we interpret parables = why speak in parables and not clearly etc - twinc

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how should we interpret parables = why speak in parables and not clearly etc - twinc

Judges 14:14,18
[18] And the men of the city said unto him on the seventh day before the sun went down, What is sweeter than honey? and what is stronger than a lion? And he said unto them, If ye had not plowed with my heifer, ye had not found out my riddle.

God (the Spirit) expounds on the riddle. That is how He designed it to be. It requires relationship.

Mark 4:34
[34] But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.

Reactions: amadeus

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible, especially Revelation, is written with much metaphor. I cannot believe one can study Revelation, and the bible, and see the same perspective as another fellow believer. You will agree and disagree on the interpretation of different passages...

John Bunyan was a great writer in metaphors/parables and he explains the use of them in his "The Barren Fig Tree" work (http://www.chapellib.../bun-barren.pdf):

6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down. - Luke 13:6-9

In parables there are two things to be taken notice of, and to be inquired into of them that read.

First, The metaphors made use of.
Second, The doctrine or mysteries couched under such metaphors.

The metaphors in this parable are,
1. A certain man;
2. A vineyard;
3. A fig-tree, barren or fruitless;
4. A dresser;
5. Three years;
6. Digging and dunging, &c.

The doctrine, or mystery, couched under these words is to show us what is like to become of a fruitless or formal professor. For,

1. By the man in the parable is meant God the Father (Luke 15:11).
2. By the vineyard, his church (Isa 5:7).
3. By the fig-tree, a professor.
4. By the dresser, the Lord Jesus.
5. By the fig-tree’s barrenness, the professor’s fruitlessness.
6. By the three years, the patience of God that for a time he extendeth to barren professors.
7. This calling to the dresser of the vineyard to cut it down, is to show the outcries of justice against fruitless professors.
8. The dresser’s interceding is to show how the Lord Jesus steps in, and takes hold of the head of his Father’s axe, to stop, or at least to defer, the present execution of a barren fig-tree.
9. The dresser’s desire to try to make the fig-tree fruitful, is to show you how unwilling he is that even a barren fig-tree should yet be barren, and perish.
10. His digging about it, and dunging of it, is to show his willingness to apply gospel helps to this barren professor, if haply he may be fruitful.
11. The supposition that the fig-tree may yet continue fruitless, is to show, that when Christ Jesus hath done all, there are some professors will abide barren and fruitless.
12. The determination upon this supposition, at last to cut it down, is a certain prediction of such professor’s unavoidable and eternal damnation.

But to take this parable into pieces, and to discourse more particularly, though with all brevity, upon all the parts thereof. ‘A certain MAN had a fig-tree planted in his vineyard.’ The MAN, I told you, is to present us with God the Father; by which similitude he is often set out in the New Testament. Observe then, that it is no new thing, if you find in God’s church barren fig-trees, fruitless professors; even as here you see is a tree, a fruitless tree, a fruitless fig-tree in the vineyard.

Fruit is not so easily brought forth as a profession is got into; it is easy for a man to clothe himself with a fair show in the flesh, to word it, and say, Be thou warmed and filled with the best. It is no hard thing to do these with other things; but to be fruitful, to bring forth fruit to God, this doth not every tree, no not every fig-tree that stands in the vineyard of God. Those words also, ‘Every branch in me that beareth not fruit, he taketh away,’ assert the same thing (John 15:2). There are branches in Christ, in Christ’s body mystical, which is his church, his vineyard, that bear not fruit, wherefore the hand of God is to take them away: I looked for grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes, that is, no fruit at all that was acceptable with God (Isa 5:4). Again, ‘Israel is an empty vine, he bringeth forth fruit unto himself,’ none to God; he is without fruit to God (Hosea 10:1). All these, with many more, show us the truth of the observation, and that God’s church may be cumbered with fruitless fig-trees, with barren professors.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judges 14:14,18
[18] And the men of the city said unto him on the seventh day before the sun went down, What is sweeter than honey? and what is stronger than a lion? And he said unto them, If ye had not plowed with my heifer, ye had not found....
God (the Spirit) expounds on the riddle. That is how He designed it to be. It requires relationship.

I really didn't get the same conclusion you did from this scripture about Samson's riddle. They basically blackmailed Samson's wife. Thus...Samson called his wife a cow. We wasn't a very nice guy.

But if thats what you got from it, great.

Has anyone considered this verse as to why Jesus taught in parables?

Mark 4:11-12 KJV
And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: [12] That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

Reactions: amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really didn't get the same conclusion you did from this scripture about Samson's riddle. They basically blackmailed Samson's wife. Thus...Samson called his wife a cow. We wasn't a very nice guy.

But if thats what you got from it, great.

Has anyone considered this verse as to why Jesus taught in parables?

Mark 4:11-12 KJV
And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: [12] That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

Samson. Such a wasted life, right? No. Even in Samsons disobedience... God used Him to testify of Christ. So many times I can't list them all: from the honey in the carcass of a lion, to the pillars, to the bindings, to the change of garments, to the feast, to the hair(cover which he lost, but gained back in weakness), to his riddles...to the gates and post being torn off and thrown upon his shoulders and carried up the hill. God made sure that even in his disobedience, Samsons life was not a waste.

Judges 16:2-3
[2] And it was told the Gazites, saying, Samson is come hither. And they compassed him in, and laid wait for him all night in the gate of the city, and were quiet all the night, saying, In the morning, when it is day, we shall kill him. [3] And Samson lay till midnight, and arose at midnight, and took the doors of the gate of the city, and the two posts, and went away with them, bar and all, and put them upon his shoulders, and carried them up to the top of an hill that is before Hebron.

Who did not plow as they were supposed to. What wife? Did she understand the parables Jesus taught? But, that is just me I guess. Maybe I make too much out of nothing.

Hebrews 11:32
[32] And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:

Good reference to parables in Mark 4.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who did not plow as they were supposed to. What wife? Did she understand the parables Jesus taught? But, that is just me I guess. Maybe I make too much out of nothing.

I am a bit confused. Samson did have a wife. She was given to another because her father thought Samson hated her.

The "plowing" was done by those to whom the riddle was given. They went to Samson's wife and extorted the answer.

I doubt she understood Jesus's parables as she lived several centuries before Jesus gave them.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a bit confused. Samson did have a wife. She was given to another because her father thought Samson hated her.

The "plowing" was done by those to whom the riddle was given. They went to Samson's wife and extorted the answer.

I doubt she understood Jesus's parables as she lived several centuries before Jesus gave them.

Hosea 10:11-12
[11] And Ephraim is as an heifer that is taught, and loveth to tread out the corn ; but I passed over upon her fair neck: I will make Ephraim to ride; Judah shall plow, and Jacob shall break his clods. [12] Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the Lord , till he come and rain righteousness upon you.

Jeremiah 14:2-4
[2] Judah mourneth, and the gates thereof languish; they are black unto the ground; and the cry of Jerusalem is gone up. [3] And their nobles have sent their little ones to the waters: they came to the pits, and found no water; they returned with their vessels empty; they were ashamed and confounded, and covered their heads. [4] Because the ground is chapt, for there was no rain in the earth, the plowmen were ashamed, they covered their heads.

I was thinking of Jerusalem. Do you not see repeating threads in scripture that are prophetic of Christ's coming? Answers hidden to parables He spoke?

Disregard if I am making no sense.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States

Parables help illustrate the meaning of God's word, making us understand the intent of the law and the heart of God. People can better relate to a story which demonstrates a purpose, a parable is just an example of the practical application of what is being said. E.g; A repented sinner who's gone astray can return and be forgiven, this is better expressed via the Parable of the Prodigal son.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Parables help illustrate the meaning of God's word, making us understand the intent of the law and the heart of God. People can better relate to a story which demonstrates a purpose, a parable is just an example of the practical application of what is being said. E.g; A repented sinner who's gone astray can return and be forgiven, this is better expressed via the Parable of the Prodigal son.

it has been said that if one understands the parable of 'The Sower' one will understand most parables - twinc

Reactions: Helen

CharlesC

Jan 26, 2018
Belle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, also the parables were told, so some got the meaning and some did not. The ones that followed Jesus got the meaning, but the ones whom were not interested, did not.

The Parable of the Sower Jesus tells the parable and than gives its meaning.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"All things come in parables" - because all things (time, space, and matter) are parables.

All things are a manifest image of what is real on high, and life as we know it is merely a form of media through which God reveals Himself and His judgement. This is the reading ("It is written") of the last will and testament - this is our testimony, played out on a "created" stage.

Best not miss the curtain call.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Well, also the parables were told, so some got the meaning and some did not. The ones that followed Jesus got the meaning, but the ones whom were not interested, did not.

The Parable of the Sower Jesus tells the parable and than gives its meaning.

one has to already have the key to understand the parable - this the Apostles were given and had - it imho helps to see where one is in the parable and how it applies to them and others - it would come as a surprise to most to consider that the parable of the sower says "judge not" imho - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
- it would come as a surprise to most to consider that the parable of the sower says "judge not" imho - twinc

Yes for sure, it would be a surprise to me.
Show me where? I cannot se it....it is all about His Word...He tells us at the end what it all represents...and he didn't mention "Judge not" in His explanation.

Bless you...H

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Yes for sure, it would be a surprise to me.
Show me where? I cannot se it....it is all about His Word...He tells us at the end what it all represents...and he didn't mention "Judge not" in His explanation.

Bless you...H

it goes unnoticed that the soil already exists - so what sort or type you are is already fixed[a bit like talents that we have that we have not merited or earned some have many, some few, some even none - so we should not judge all equal or alike imho nor will God who created us thus and so - twinc

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus answered why He spoke in parables a little farther in the Matthew 13 chapter, just pas the sower parable:

Matt 13:11-17
11 He answered and said unto them, "Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, 'By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive':
15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.
KJV

That means... only those given to know those mysteries are given understanding. Our Lord Jesus was speaking of those in Isaiah 28 & 29 that have been spiritually blinded.

The sower parable uses agriculture methods, and points to Satan and his workers being what prevents the seed from producing:

Matt 13:19-23
19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

That wicked one is the devil. The way side is like a hard compacted dirt path. Seed can't get into the soil to germinate. The way side is comparable to lack of understanding, the mind not being able to grasp the Truth represented by the seed (The Word of God). Resultant message is - got to plow to ready the soil, or the devil will gather up what was sown.

20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

Soil with a lot of stones in it will choke out the seed, preventing the seed from making strong roots. So you've got to get the stones (representative of Satan's children) out of your soil before sowing the seed.

22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

The thorns also represent Satan and his workers of iniquity (see the parable of the bramble bush). The thorns in real agriculture will also choke out the sown seed, not allowing it to take root.

23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
KJV

By good ground is meant, it's plowed and ready to accept seed, the stones are removed, and the thorns are gathered and burned so as not choke out the seed. Only these who prepare their soil like this can sow seed that produces much fruit in Christ Jesus. It means we are to recognize the enemy and his devices so we can be prepared with the Gospel armour.

Here's a parable to go along with this...

Isa 5:1-7

5:1 Now will I sing to my wellbeloved a song of my beloved touching his vineyard. My wellbeloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill:
2 And he fenced it, and gathered out the stones thereof, and planted it with the choicest vine, and built a tower in the midst of it, and also made a winepress therein: and he looked that it should bring forth grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes.

3 And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem, and men of Judah, judge, I pray you, betwixt Me and My vineyard.

4 What could have been done more to My vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?

5 And now go to; I will tell you what I will do to My vineyard: I will take away the hedge thereof, and it shall be eaten up; and break down the wall thereof, and it shall be trodden down:

6 And I will lay it waste: it shall not be pruned, nor digged; but there shall come up briers and thorns: I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it.

7 For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah his pleasant plant: and He looked for judgment, but behold oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry.
KJV

You should know who that "choicest vine" represents, our Lord Jesus. That vineyard represents the ten-tribed house of Israel, and the pleasant plant represents the house of Judah in their own kingdom in the southern portion of the lands of Israel. Both houses rebelled against God, their doing idol worship, so God removed them out of the holy lands.