Why Was Cain’s Sacrifice Rejected by God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Now faith is the substance of things hoped for,
the evidence of things not seen.'

(Heb 11:1)

Faith in what. @Mark? Faith is not a nebulous thing, it has substance, doesn't it? So what was the basis of Abel's faith, that made his offering acceptable: and if, as you conjecture, Cain's offering was also offered by faith, what was the substance of it, if his offering was not acceptable to God.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm not saying that Cain actually brought his offering in faith, I was trying to bring out that if Cain were to have brought his offering in faith, then I don't see it being a problem that he was bringing crops instead of flocks.

But that was all. Sorry if I confused!

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Hi Chris,

I'm not saying that Cain actually brought his offering in faith, I was trying to bring out that if Cain were to have brought his offering in faith, then I don't see it being a problem that he was bringing crops instead of flocks.

But that was all. Sorry if I confused!

Much love!
Mark
Imo you made a great point there; it was not a sin offering, as most believers assume/jump on, etc

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello there, @bbyrd009,

What verse are you considering there?

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Perhaps this one?

"The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him." Ezek 18:20

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i guess contemplating that we kill Christ-in-us when we begin deliberately sinning is maybe a little upsetting?
I would say that killing the Christ-in-us relates directly to quenching the Spirit which Apostle Paul warned against. Of course, anyone sold on OSAS might have trouble understanding it.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Hello @bbyrd009,

Why should we consider them to be anything other than literal, when it is a matter of written record?

In Christ Jesus
Chris
also perhaps bc we have the advantage of a better def of "sacrifice," (although "fat" might give some ppl a problem there, initially) or even bc a literal sacrificial offering (for whatever reason) had not been instituted yet, and we have the same Record that tells us when the diff sacrifices were instituted, yes? And then the "fat" maybe becomes a little clearer, leave the fat for Me.

but it goes w/o saying that a ppl described as "fat" are...going to want to stick to a literal interp, lest we go looking for the real Fat and find it, imo

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@bbyrd009

In their own mind . . .

Seems like I'm leaving a swath of confusion behind me!

Much love!
Is it not that sometimes God uses confusion to provide people a renewed opportunity make the right decision instead of continuing to build on old errors?

"And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do
Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth." Gen 11:6-9

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Perhaps this one?

"The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him." Ezek 18:20
Jesus referred to Himself as Son of Man specifically to ID as common, and believers surely immediately deified the phrase I guess. We hear "Jesus of Nazareth" completely differently from His contemporaries, and overlook the importance of the passage on the matter imo, "can anything good come from Nazareth?" Bc back then where, as in What School, a rabbi came from, was their whole pedigree, basically?

So, after Rabbi Soandso of Esteemia has had his say, "Jesus of Nazareth" is going to sound exactly as if one of us stood up in congress or somewhere and said "I'm John Smith, from Podunkville." It is a way to make a joke iow, to make fun of stuffed shirts imo. They even managed to pick an area that by all other accounts was not even inhabited in the first century, literally nowhere. Podunkville is overstating it even i guess

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What a great point! God wants for us to give from what we have, not what we do not have. And willingly.

Much love!

Ex 25

1 "And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring me an offering: of every man that giveth it willingly with his heart ye shall take my offering.
3 And this is the offering which ye shall take of them; gold, and silver, and brass,
4 And blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine linen, and goats' hair,
5 And rams' skins dyed red, and badgers' skins, and shittim wood,
6 Oil for the light, spices for anointing oil, and for sweet incense....
7 Onyx stones, and stones to be set in the ephod, and in the breastplate."

I guess Cain's heart had been revealed of what kind it was.

In all things...everything with God goes back to the state heart.

I've said it dozens of times, and people just get mad..but when we all stand before the Lord there will be no 'brownie points' for having perfect doctrine.
God is an examiner of hearts.
There are so many arguments about 'correct doctrine'...yet people don't seem at all bothered in make sure the heart is 'correct' soft, open and ready before Father.

Last edited:

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ex 25

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring me an offering: of every man that giveth it willingly with his heart ye shall take my offering.
3 And this is the offering which ye shall take of them; gold, and silver, and brass,

I've said it dozens of times, and people just get mad..but when we all stand before the Lord there will be no 'brownie points' for having perfect doctrine.
There are so many arguments about 'correct doctrine'...yet people don't seem at all bothered in make sure the hearts 'correct' soft, open and ready before Father.
Amen

Reactions: Helen

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
'Now faith is the substance of things hoped for,
the evidence of things not seen.'

(Heb 11:1)

Faith in what. @Mark? Faith is not a nebulous thing, it has substance, doesn't it? So what was the basis of Abel's faith, that made his offering acceptable: and if, as you conjecture, Cain's offering was also offered by faith, what was the substance of it, if his offering was not acceptable to God.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
It can't have been true faith that Cain exercised, in the sight of God.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus referred to Himself as Son of Man specifically to ID as common, and believers surely immediately deified the phrase I guess. We hear "Jesus of Nazareth" completely differently from His contemporaries, and overlook the importance of the passage on the matter imo, "can anything good come from Nazareth?" Bc back then where, as in What School, a rabbi came from, was their whole pedigree, basically?

So, after Rabbi Soandso of Esteemia has had his say, "Jesus of Nazareth" is going to sound exactly as if one of us stood up in congress or somewhere and said "I'm John Smith, from Podunkville." It is a way to make a joke iow, to make fun of stuffed shirts imo
People want to believe that Jesus died for our sins and in a way he did, but really he only opened up the Way to Life by becoming the Door.. He was also to be there with us to provide all that necessary to make it through...

"Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:" Gal 1:4

Jesus did it so "that he might deliver us". The deliverance was NOT done on the cross... He showed us the Way and opened the Door. Each of us has to die... that is we must die to sin and the ways leading to sin. Alone we cannot do that. No one could do this while still immersed in his own sin and death. It would require the power of God in us [the Holy Ghost]. Jesus had that power as there was no sin or death in him as he walked planet Earth as the Son of Man.

Can any good come out of Nazareth that is out of our fleshly ways defiled as they are?

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ex 25

There are so many arguments about 'correct doctrine'...yet people don't seem at all bothered in make sure the heart is 'correct' soft, open and ready before Father.
And I guess Solomon understood this a thousand years before Jesus was born in Bethlehem. God always knew these things and would not hide them from a really hungry and thirsty heart... that is hungry and thirsty for God. Perhaps herein we may understand the difference between the offering of Cain and the offering of Abel!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
People want to believe that Jesus died for our sins and in a way he did, but really he only opened up the Way to Life by becoming the Door.. He was also to be there with us to provide all that necessary to make it through...

"Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:" Gal 1:4

Jesus did it so "that he might deliver us". The deliverance was NOT done on the cross... He showed us the Way and opened the Door. Each of us has to die... that is we must die to sin and the ways leading to sin. Alone we cannot do that. No one could do this while still immersed in his own sin and death. It would require the power of God in us [the Holy Ghost]. Jesus had that power as there was no sin or death in him as he walked planet Earth as the Son of Man.

Can any good come out of Nazareth that is out of our fleshly ways defiled as they are?
The Lord Himself does all the delivering; He "delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us" (2 Corinthians 1.10)