With So Many Denominations...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay fair enough. Excuse suggests a lessening of culpability, and that wasn't my intent. I guess a better word would be explanation. They were deceived. The "traffic" and"merchandise" spoken of by Isaiah that was Lucifers modus operandi could be likened to politicking and/or slander. The lies of Lucifer must have touched on areas never before considered regarding God's character and His ability to rule in righteousness and justice. Lucifer managed to convince a large portion of the population that God wasn't fit to rule, thus sparkinga revolution and an attempt at change of government. So, while not excusable, I think explainable. But Lucifer himself, he has no excuse certainly, but neither is there any explanation for his rebellion. Thus why it's called the 'mystery of iniquity' I suppose.
Agreed, except that I don't think Lucifer's situation was without explanation to some degree. God's creatures that are endowed with reasoning powers (mostly humans and angels) have creative capability and tendency and also an appreciation for beauty. Lucifer combined these two and created the sin of pride. In a manner of speaking, he lingered just a little too long in front of the mirror in preparation for an assembly. Thus he was overtaken with self-esteem and the notion that he could govern himself and others as well as God could. There's an entire video series on this subject here:
http://www.3abn.com/English2/AOT/AOT000066.wmv
http://www.3abn.com/English2/AOT/AOT000067.wmv
http://www.3abn.com/English2/AOT/AOT000068.wmv
http://www.3abn.com/English2/AOT/AOT000069.wmv
http://www.3abn.com/English2/AOT/AOT000070.wmv

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Well of course they aren't a normal part of aging. Neither is death. Unnatural, and only happening because something is terribly wrong.

Make of it what you will. A man in his seventies, 3 weeks after retiring, dies from a stroke. There are worse ways to go, do you think?

Much love!
3 weeks tho arg huh? But what does it matter if i have better health, but im a jerk? :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I am of Paul, and I am of Apollos, and I am of Christ . . . but do you believe God inspired Paul with what to write?

Much love!
i just read a thing on that, i guess even all of Pauls writings were not considered inspired, we have lost the real 1Corinthians, alluded to in our 1 Cor i guess?

Reactions: Giuliano

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would I believe otherwise? Is quoting Scripture the same as doubt?
There where would there be any disagreement between Jesus and Paul? Isn't it all from God? So what's with holding up one over the other? As if there were some disagreement between them, and we need to break the tie?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3 weeks tho arg huh? But what does it matter if i have better health, but im a jerk? :)
? not sure what you mean here.

Ecclesiastes 7
15 All things have I seen in the days of my vanity: there is a just man that perisheth in his righteousness, and there is a wicked man that prolongeth his life in his wickedness.

Not saying anything here . . .

Much love!

Reactions: bbyrd009

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i just read a thing on that, i guess even all of Pauls writings were not considered inspired, we have lost the real 1Corinthians, alluded to in our 1 Cor i guess?
There are plenty of people who don't think the Bible is at all inspired. And then there are those who think everything ever written was divinely inspired.

So I suppose some poeple fall inbetween these.

I think about the Psalm that tells us that God has established His Word in heaven, and preserved it to all generations, so I'm going with that.

Much love!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what's with holding up one over the other?
I'm sure I wouldn't know. You'd have to ask @user that question. I merely said in response to his many implications that the Pauline epistles were the central focus of the Bible, that if any part of Scripture was deserving of that distinction it would be the Gospels. If you take that to mean that I believe one part of the Bible is more inspired than another, I really don't see any way to relieve you of such a misunderstanding of my intentions. I can't believe I'm being called on the carpet for suggesting that the Sovereign of the Universe, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, God, The Son might be worthy of more praise and glory than one of His creatures. I just don't get it. It's not a matter of levels (of which there are none) of canonical inspiration.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do you see them not teaching in agreement?
I only see their styles as different.
I am of the mind that all the Bible is the Word of God
You'll prosper with that view. I know I have.
There need be no "last word of authority" between Jesus and Paul
My point precisely.
Not what they thought, but what God moved them to write.
I don't even know what this means.
Any perceived conflict, where one might be tempted to say, well, this is JESUS, so that trumps,
The other party of the conversation first said:
This is Paul...
I merely responded in kind.
I think this just means we need to look more to find the true harmony, and in the harmony between the various Scriptures, we find the real meaning.
Then harmonize this for me:

For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. (Matthew 5:18)
and this:
...but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious. (2 Corinthians 3:5-11)
Seems a little over-the-top to me.
Thank you for your opinion. I couldn't help noticing that "Much love!" is missing at this point.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
There are plenty of people who don't think the Bible is at all inspired. And then there are those who think everything ever written was divinely inspired.

So I suppose some poeple fall inbetween these.

I think about the Psalm that tells us that God has established His Word in heaven, and preserved it to all generations, so I'm going with that.

Much love!
i am guessing we lost Pauls first letter to the Corinthians simply bc there was no distilled truth in it that was not already extant in Scripture? Conversely, we have what could be deemed "pagan" writings installed in Scripture, too,
"In the New Testament, Jesus himself incurred the wrath of the Jews of Nazareth by stating that not the widows of Israel but one of Zarephath of Sidon in Phoenicia received the Word though Elijah, and that not the lepers of Israel were cleaned by Elisha but rather Naaman of Syria (Luke 4:25-27). Likewise, Paul made it clear beyond the need for further debate that not merely the sanctioned canon but the whole of human writing is God-breathed and useful for teaching (2 Timothy 3:16). And sure enough, via the respectful citations of Paul, sayings and assertions of very pagan poets made their way into the Bible, most notably Epimenides (Titus 1:12) and Aratus (Acts 17:28)..." The Gospel of Impurity "Like silver refined in a fire"

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, there you have it! Sometimes I get into a hurry to post, and don't always add that. It's occurred to me that someone could take this to mean something. But please know that I love you, and I desire for you to know our Creater with a full intimacy.

Much love!
I love you, too, and this is a lovely and loving post you have addressed to me, and I appreciate it. In case you don't know (which I doubt), you could make the "Much love!" message your signature.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks, I fear I have allowed myself to fall into the trap of going on the defensive, which I find unChrist-like and abhorrent. For this I apologize. I hope you can forgive me and that I have not caused you to stumble in any way.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure I wouldn't know. You'd have to ask @user that question. I merely said in response to his many implications that the Pauline epistles were the central focus of the Bible, that if any part of Scripture was deserving of that distinction it would be the Gospels. If you take that to mean that I believe one part of the Bible is more inspired than another, I really don't see any way to relieve you of such a misunderstanding of my intentions. I can't believe I'm being called on the carpet for suggesting that the Sovereign of the Universe, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, God, The Son might be worthy of more praise and glory than one of His creatures. I just don't get it. It's not a matter of levels (of which there are none) of canonical inspiration.

I see you have included me into the conversation. I will now take this opportunity to respond.

Let's take a look at the record as to what you actually said...

The Gospel is best served by the Gospel, Himself.

Sorry, I'm into Christo-centric. No offense.

The Gospel is always best served by Jesus

In post#142 I said to you...

The Word of God is NOT divided. It is the Word cover to cover, and for you to think that Jesus takes precedence over Paul or any other Apostle in his word, is in error due to the fact that Paul's epistles (and all the Apostles) are Holy Ghost inspired (again, this is ALL the Word of God). I pointed this out, to-wit Paul's calling into the ministry being a chosen vessel unto the Lord.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

By which you responded...

If you expect to convince me that an apostle has precedence over Christ in anything, you have a rough row to hoe, my friend.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

God Bless!

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point also is that these dichotomies or paradoxes occur so often as to be unavoidable in studying the Bible and, as one poster said earlier, very many folks simply park on one side or the other of the apparent contradiction, either because they're too lazy to do the work of reconciliation or because they are content with what they have been taught or both. I recognize that some things are beyond our understanding, but I won't use that as an excuse to stop learning. Much of what I read on these discussion boards is just canned, parroted drivel. It's an awful thing to say, I know, but I fear if no one says it, the rocks might cry out. I've been an aggressive seeker for as long as I can remember, and as far as I know, it has only increased my faith in and awe of God. I want at least this for everyone else. God is beautiful beyond all description. Everyone, by the merit of Christ's very own blood, has been afforded the right to see this beauty. Moses was a man of like passions as we, and his face shone with the glory of God. I have had people tell me at times that I was glowing. This was always in the midst of a period when I was spending extraordinary amounts of time and effort in devotional exercise and selfless service. I am not a superior, but indeed a debtor to those who have not experienced this. I cannot hold my peace.

Psalms 103
1Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.

2Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

3Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;

4Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;

5Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

6The LORD executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed.

7He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel.

8The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see you have included me into the conversation. I will now take this opportunity to respond.

Let's take a look at the record as to what you actually said...

In post#142 I said to you...

By which you responded...

God Bless!
You win. I'm a heretic.

Reactions: bbyrd009