Yoga

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends on what kind of meditation. Eastern meditation alters a person's consciousness. That's the whole point of doing this kind of meditation--to empty the mind of thought....

When I meditate on Bible verses, I fill my mind with God's Word.

Isaiah 55:11-- So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

The 12 steps of alcoholic anonymous tells it's recovering members to seek thru prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God. Many churches have recovery programs working in their services.

But I see nothing wrong with emptying your mind and learning more of who you are as a person. Learning about your own mind.

Reactions: April_Rose

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends on what kind of meditation. Eastern meditation alters a person's consciousness. That's the whole point of doing this kind of meditation--to empty the mind of thought....

When I meditate on Bible verses, I fill my mind with God's Word.

Isaiah 55:11-- So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

The only people that should be afraid of emptying the mind of thought, are people that are inherently taken over by evil.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 12 steps of alcoholic anonymous tells it's recovering members to seek thru prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God. Many churches have recovery programs working in their services.

But I see nothing wrong with emptying your mind and learning more of who you are as a person. Learning about your own mind.
Ah, so you empty your mind? Where in the Bible does God instruct us to empty our minds?

Phil 4:8--Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable — if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise — dwell on these things.

2 Corinthians 10:5--We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,....

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I listened to what you said. But in all honesty I already know your feelings regarding Yoga. But I usually only take in credible sources, and I'm not sure I would consider a video like that a credible source.
What about the one where they found mermaids?
It just doesn't seem to be like the same thing to me. All I do is listen to calm music and sounds to meditate upon and flex my body in different ways. That's it.
calm music,, that’s of the devil. You need to be afraid.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only people that should be afraid of emptying the mind of thought, are people that are inherently taken over by evil.
Who said anything about fear?? Not me. But I'm not going to do something so foolish as empty my mind.

We are instructed in God's Word to dwell on, or consciously THINK about, things that are true, just,....

Phil 4:8--Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable — if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise — dwell on these things.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, so you empty your mind? Where in the Bible does God instruct us to empty our minds?
Do you think the only source of truth is the bible? You seem to enjoy the science and technology that God has given man in the past centuries of enlightenment. So I would think your past that dogma. We indeed have truth that goes well beyond the bible. I instead embrace all truth and sources of truth.

As for emptying the mind, what are you afraid of? Your own thoughts. Or are you afraid of Satan and Satan tempting you. Jesus wasn't afraid of Satan when he conversed with him in the garden and was tempted by him. But quite honestly, I'm not going to let Satan tell me what I can and can't do, or be afraid of my own mind because Satan uses the mind to tempt man. Instead Satan should be afraid of me, since my life is the judgment that will send him to hell and death.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think the only source of truth is the bible? You seem to enjoy the science and technology that God has given man in the past centuries of enlightenment. So I would think your past that dogma. We indeed have truth that goes well beyond the bible. I instead embrace all truth and sources of truth.

As for emptying the mind, what are you afraid of? Your own thoughts. Or are you afraid of Satan and Satan tempting you. Jesus wasn't afraid of Satan when he conversed with him in the garden and was tempted by him. But quite honestly, I'm not going to let Satan tell me what I can and can't do, or be afraid of my own mind because Satan uses the mind to tempt man. Instead Satan should be afraid of me, since my life is the judgment that will send him to hell and death.

I see. You would think PAST the truth...PAST the wisdom of God! LOL

Of course, Jesus, who is God, knows the Word of God and used it against the devil.

Jesus said, "It is written...."

Satan, afraid of you? When he has you in his back pocket?? See what rubbish he has filled your mind with since you emptied it? Saying that we need to go "well beyond the Bible" for truth.... You know, you can be so open-minded that your brains leak out. :confused:

But I KNOW who you are, and you are NOT fooling God!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does "inherently taken over by evil" mean?? Who are these people?
The problem is that EVERYONE is inherently evil....until we are born of the Spirit. Our minds have to be "renewed" after we are born again.

It is written...

Romans 12:1-2--Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see. You would think PAST the truth...PAST the wisdom of God!

Past the prophets of the old testament and new testament, this is the year 2020, might I suggest for you to evolve? But no, you are afraid probably to quiet your mind and get to truly know who you are. Seeing that if you know who you are and your true nature, you might have to give God more credit and worship for being the Only One that is Good and worth worshiping, but you instead worship the righteousness you learned from the bible and bash it against others in ignorance of further light and knowledge.

Many have taken the road to self awareness, and it is a good thing. Despite your best efforts to downplay the importance of science and technology and advancements in the understanding of mind science.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to be transformed by the renewing of the mind?
audio.png

Question: "What does it mean to be transformed by the renewing of the mind?"

Answer:
The phrase “transformed by the renewing of the mind” is found in Romans 12:2. Chapter 12 marks the transition in that epistle from the apostle Paul’s theological teaching to his practical teaching. The book of Romans is probably the closest thing in the Bible to a systematic theology. Paul did not found the church at Rome, but he had every intention of visiting that church on his way to Spain. As a result, Paul wrote this epistle as a way of introducing himself to that congregation and to give them an overview of the gospel and what it means in the lives of believers.

After teaching the great doctrine regarding the gospel of God’s righteousness that is ours through faith in Christ in Romans chapters 1—11, Paul begins to exhort us to godly living. How are we to live in light of the saving power of the gospel? That is what Romans 12—16 aims to teach. The practical section of Romans begins with a great “therefore.” Seeing all that God did on our behalf, therefore live like this. The first of Paul’s great exhortations is to be renewed in our minds:

“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect” (Romans 12:1–2).

The phrase “the mercies of God” refers to all of what has preceded in chapters 1—11. The exhortation that Paul presents is that since we have been the gracious recipients of God’s great mercies, we are to be “living sacrifices” to God. How do we do this? We are living sacrifices to God by not conforming to this world, but by being transformed by the renewal of our minds.

This exhortation really serves as a summary statement of all that follows. A living sacrifice to God is one who does not conform, but is transformed. We are not to be conformed to this world. Paul is using the word world here to refer to the spirit of the age. In other words, world refers to the popular worldview that rejects God and His revelation. As unbelievers, we are naturally conformed to the world (Ephesians 2:1–3). As believers, we are no longer conformed to this world because we no longer belong to the spirit of this age. We have been translated from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of God’s beloved Son (Colossians 1:13). Therefore, rather than continuing to conform to this world, we are to be transformed by having our minds renewed.

It is interesting to note that Paul says that we must be transformed by the renewing of our “minds.” The mind is the key to the Christian life. The reason why non-Christians do not respond to Christian truth is that they cannot discern spiritual truth (1 Corinthians 2:14). The gospel is a call for the unbeliever to repent of his sin and embrace Christ by faith. The Greek word translated “repentance” carries the notion of a change of mind. Our thinking must be changed (transformed) from old, ungodly ways of thinking into new, godly ways of thinking. What we know in our minds to be true forms a conviction in our hearts of that truth, and that conviction in our hearts translates into action. Therefore, we must first renew our minds.

The only way to replace the error of the world’s way of thinking is to replace it with God’s truth, and the only infallible source of God’s truth is His revealed Word, the Bible. Transformation through renewed minds comes as believers expose themselves to God’s Word through the faithful exposition of it each week in church, personal Bible study, and group Bible study. A solid church that believes in preaching the Word, reading the Word, and singing the Word is invaluable in helping us renew our minds.

There are no shortcuts. There is no magical formula for renewing our minds. We must fill our minds with God’s Word. As Jesus prayed to the Father, “Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth” (John 17:17).

Source: What does it mean to be transformed by the renewing of the mind? | GotQuestions.org

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So TRUTH only exists in the minds of humans?? C'mon, man!

No not only, but the mind can show you who you truly are. And that can give you perspective of who God is compared to you. Allowing you to fully worship how Good and Righteous he is.

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Past the prophets of the old testament and new testament, this is the year 2020, might I suggest for you to evolve? But no, you are afraid probably to quiet your mind and get to truly know who you are. Seeing that if you know who you are and your true nature, you might have to give God more credit and worship for being the Only One that is Good and worth worshiping, but you instead worship the righteousness you learned from the bible and bash it against others in ignorance of further light and knowledge.

Many have taken the road to self awareness, and it is a good thing. Despite your best efforts to downplay the importance of science and technology and advancements in the understanding of mind science.

Might I evolve?? This is New Age talk! Not the truth.

Oh, I was on the road of SELF-AWARENESS, and it was leading me straight to hell!

BUT GOD, in His great mercy, reached out to me in His love, and set my feet on HIS path. Now, I KNOW His Word--I KNOW HIS MIND! I KNOW HIM! HALLELUJAH! THERE'S NO GOING BACK TO THE VOMIT OF THE WORLD SYSTEM THAT IS RULED BY THE DEVIL! I WILL GO MOVE FORWARD WITH GOD--BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH IN MY SAVIOR AND LORD JESUS CHRIST!

I KNOW WHO I AM IN CHRIST, and I KNOW who you are!