Yoga

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I still take issue with your use of the word "emptying." We don't empty our minds of any thoughts, but we REPLACE the bad with the good. We dwell upon the things that are good....

The whole concept and reason for emptying the mind isn't Christian at all. The goal of emptying the mind is altered consciousness, period. This is dangerous and provides an opening for demonic influence. The videos I posted explain all this. You should take a listen.

And hey we both share the same opinion on Yoga, but I am going to move this to a different topic. As it's something I would like to continue discussing tomorrow.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I still take issue with your use of the word "emptying." We don't empty our minds of any thoughts, but we REPLACE the bad with the good. We dwell upon the things that are good....

The whole concept and reason for emptying the mind isn't Christian at all. The goal of emptying the mind is altered consciousness, period. This is dangerous and provides an opening for demonic influence. The videos I posted explain all this. You should take a listen.

Well I don't need to listen to speculation from videos to form an opinion on a subject. Have you supported your belief that emptying your mind is evil by using scripture to back it up? Perhaps that would help convince me.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's how your mind works, but I'm not misled by the devil, you keep pointing back to hell and death, damnation and the devil, perhaps if you empty your mind of such things and focus on the good, and bring it back to peace.
It's not for me to say who will end up in heaven or hell! I pray that we ALL end up in heaven! I really do pray this!

But Jesus said this, and it is written...

Matthew 7:21-27
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Which one are you--a wise or foolish man?? If you think of the Bible as a "little book," what do you think of the words of Jesus recorded in the Bible???

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I don't need to listen to speculation from videos to form an opinion on a subject. Have you supported your belief that emptying your mind is evil by using scripture to back it up? Perhaps that would help.
You suggested that I go beyond the Bible for truth....

But you won't listen to Christians who practiced as yogis explain how evil Yoga actually is?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not for me to say who will end up in heaven or hell! I pray that we ALL end up in heaven! I really do pray this!

But Jesus said this, and it is written...

Matthew 7:21-27
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Which one are you--a wise or foolish man?? If you think of the Bible as a "little book," what do you think of the words of Jesus recorded in the Bible???

That comes from a point I made to support psychology and mind sciences which support prayer and meditation. I think they way your stating it takes it off topic. But you do appear to be judging me again regarding the "Little Book" comment, which is true, it is small in compared to the books of scientific truth. Powerful but small.

Reactions: historyb

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You suggested that I go beyond the Bible for truth....

But you won't listen to Christians who practiced as yogis explain how evil Yoga actually is?

I wasn't supporting Yoga, I was supporting Prayer and meditation as advised by counselors and the 12 step program.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That comes from a point I made to support psychology and mind sciences which support prayer and meditation. I think they way your stating it takes it off topic. But you do appear to be judging me again regarding the "Little Book" comment, which is true, it is small in compared to the books of scientific truth. Powerful but small.

I KNOW some things about psychology. As you well know, I have a college degree in psychology, so I am well qualified to speak of the folly of psychological theories that run counter to God's Word--His truth!

You place way too much faith in science, and psychology is NOT even real science. I lived the lies of psychology until God set me free with the TRUTH! Would you like to discuss this in another thread?

Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I KNOW some things about psychology. As you well know, I have a college degree in psychology, so I am well qualified to speak of the folly of psychological theories that run counter to God's Word--His truth!

You place way too much faith in science, and psychology is NOT even real science. I lived the lies of psychology until God set me free with the TRUTH! Would you like to discuss this in another thread?

No, you switched to psychology, I was discussing meditation which varies in definition from what @April_Rose was describing to emptying your thoughts to find inner peace and clarity: Meditation - Wikipedia

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello P.W.,
In order to get my prescription for the 1.5 mg Clonazepam (half mg 3 times daily, and sometimes if not leaving the house, it will be just the one before bed) unless I go to the VA and see her a few times a year.
She knows everything about me and respects my faith. She had once mentioned Yoga as a relaxing thing, and to help as most exercises I cannot do. (7 surgeries from accidents, shoulders to toes and all in between.) I told her I did not find Yoga compatible with Christianity. She was fine with that, never once spoke, or acted in a way that would have me compromise my faith, or put it down. I only go because I have to otherwise, I would not go. I do like her very much and she is shorter than me! Hahaha!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A quote from the meditation wikipedia page:

"Meditation may significantly reduce stress, anxiety, depression, and pain, and enhance peace, perception, self-concept, and well-being. Meditation is under research to substantiate its health (psychological, neurological, and cardiovascular) benefits and other effects."
Are you going to believe Wikipedia or former yogis turned Christian who experienced and taught Yoga??

Now, these former yogis are giving Christians a real gift by warning us about the dangers of Yoga.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello P.W.,
In order to get my prescription for the 1.5 mg Clonazepam (half mg 3 times daily, and sometimes if not leaving the house, it will be just the one before bed) unless I go to the VA and see her a few times a year.
She knows everything about me and respects my faith. She had once mentioned Yoga as a relaxing thing, and to help as most exercises I cannot do. (7 surgeries from accidents, shoulders to toes and all in between.) I told her I did not find Yoga compatible with Christianity. She was fine with that, never once spoke, or acted in a way that would have me compromise my faith, or put it down. I only go because I have to otherwise, I would not go. I do like her very much and she is shorter than me! Hahaha!
Are you short?? Then you and I have this in common as well as our faith! :)

I pray for your complete healing, @Nancy , and I would certainly welcome your prayers for healing....

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you going to believe Wikipedia or former yogis turned Christian who experienced and taught Yoga??

Now, these former yogis are giving Christians a real gift by warning us about the dangers of Yoga.

You swinging it back to something you can condemn: Yoga. But @April_Rose admitted in this thread that she wasn't practicing what was described as Yoga. In fact what she described was a type of positive thinking meditation. Yoga is not the only source of meditation in the history of the world, it's only one that incorporates meditation.

Reactions: April_Rose

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You swinging it back to something you can condemn: Yoga. But @April_Rose admitted in this thread that she wasn't practicing what was described as Yoga. In fact what she described was a type of positive thinking meditation. Yoga is not the only source of meditation in the history of the world, it's only one that incorporates meditation.
Listen to the experts! That's all I can tell ya. You have knowledge at your fingertips from those who KNOW!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Listen to the experts! That's all I can tell ya. You have knowledge at your fingertips from those who KNOW!

You mean to say that you believe meditation is evil and should be condemned? I'm having a hard time understanding what your saying. And I don't remember you supporting your beliefs with scripture. I'll dismiss any experts other than God on the subject, since this is a Christian forum. But yes in the 12 step program it would appear that God supports some type of meditation.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you short?? Then you and I have this in common as well as our faith! :)

I pray for your complete healing, @Nancy , and I would certainly welcome your prayers for healing....
Thank you Prayer Warrior,
Yes, I am now 5'2", she has to be a good inch if not even more shorter than I...and that is with her wearing heels!!! Ahaha...she is cute as a button.
Of course I will pray for you and healing only He can fix! This board is a daily prayer for me, I do name off the names when coming into my head, for specific prayer. The rest is in general, that God Spirit would saturate all and every one who comes and goes from here.
I will start today lifting prayers for good health and a whole body, mind and spirit for you sister.
Amen!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean to say that you believe meditation is evil and should be condemned? I'm having a hard time understanding what your saying. And I don't remember you supporting your beliefs with scripture. I'll dismiss any experts other than God on the subject, since this is a Christian forum. But yes in the 12 step program it would appear that God supports some type of meditation.
Here's an excerpt from an article about Mike Shreve, who gives his testimony as a former yogi turned Christian pastor. In the video I posted above, he warns about the dangers of Yoga.

The Kundalini Yoga instructor who found Jesus
April 10, 2015

Yogi Bhajan, a guru from India, who arrived in America to help the flower children find their way spiritually, became a big influence. “He taught us about yoga. The emphasis was not on obtaining a relationship with God, but rather, on attaining a realization of our inherent oneness with God (actually, an understanding that we are God), Mike notes.

In every free moment — between his college classes – Mike pursued the goal of reaching enlightenment.

But then he unexpectedly dropped out of Florida State, because he thought his conventional studies could lead him toward a mundane existence – where he might become “a stale crumb to be eaten by the tiger of time,” to quote one of his favorite Hindu poets.

After he left school, he helped start an ashram in Daytona Beach, a commune where yoga votaries live and practice their spiritual disciplines together. As he studied the Bhagavad-Gita and the Vedas – ancient Hindu Scriptures – he felt he was beginning to blend into oneness with the “oversoul,” as experience out-of-body excursions into the astral realm and vivid spiritual dreams.

Because he felt a zeal to help the dawning of the “Age of Aquarius,” he moved to Tampa, Florida, where four universities in the area opened their doors to him to teach Kundalini Yoga.

As a following developed around him and his classes, the Tampa Tribune newspaper published a story about Mike. He was thrilled by the free publicity as his classes continued to grow.

But little did he know the news story also alerted a Christian group in Tampa to clip the article, pin it to their prayer board, and assign people to fast and pray for him every hour of every day until his conversion!

Several weeks after the article appeared he received a letter from a college friend named Larry, who had also been devoted to yoga and meditation. But Larry happened to walk into a church one day and heard an audible voice say, “Jesus is the only way.” At that moment, the Holy Spirit opened his heart to believe and Larry was born again.

When Mike read Larry’s letter, he thought the term ‘born again’ must be synonymous with Nirvana, Samadhi or Christ consciousness, but Larry insisted it was different.

“Mike, you’ll never find ultimate peace through yoga and meditation,” Larry wrote. “You have to go through the cross. You have to be spiritually reborn. Jesus really is the way to eternal life.”

Mike wrote back a respectful letter, explaining he was happy his friend found a path that was right for him, but noted that he thought Christianity seemed illogical and the claims of Jesus too exclusive.

Unexpectedly however, a few weeks later, Mike’s heart began to soften. He thought he shouldn’t dismiss Jesus out-of-hand, but give him a chance. So one morning, instead of following his usual yoga routine, he decided to dedicate one day to Jesus.

“Lord Jesus,” he prayed. “I commit this day to you. I believe if you are real and if you’re the Savior of the world, you will show me today.”

Mike opened up a Bible and began to read through the Gospel of John and the book of Revelation until the afternoon, when he left for the University of South Florida.

That same afternoon, Kent Sullivan, a member of the student prayer group that had been praying for Mike (and a former follower of an Indian guru named Yogananda), was on the way to wash his dirty clothes. He got halfway through the door of a Laundromat when God impressed this on his heart:

Don’t go in there. I have something else for you to do. Get back in your van and drive where I lead you.

Kent made several distinct turns as directed by the Holy Spirit until he was on a road behind Busch gardens. He had no idea the yoga teacher he had been praying for in the last few weeks was hitchhiking, trying to get a ride to the University.

Suddenly Kent spied a young man with long curly brown hair, a long beard, and Indian-style clothing hitchhiking on the side of the road. Kent felt compelled to pull over and pick him up, but had no idea who it was.

As Mike stepped into the van he immediately noticed a picture of Jesus taped to the ceiling and his heart began to race.

“Can I ask you a question,” Kent asked.

“Yes.”

Kent was very direct. “Have you ever experienced Jesus coming into your heart?”

“No,” Mike replied, “but when can I? I’ve been praying about the experience all day long.”

Kent’s eyes widened with surprise. He didn’t expect such a quick response. “You can come to your prayer meeting tonight.”

“I don’t want to wait for a prayer meeting,” Mike said. “I want to experience Jesus right now.”

Excitedly, Kent pulled his van off the road into the first parking lot he could find. Within a few minutes he realized Mike was the one he had been praying about during the last four weeks.

As Kent went through the Scripture and explained the good news of the Gospel, Mike peppered him with a myriad of questions, but Kent kept replying: “Don’t concern yourself with those things. Just try Jesus.”

Finally, Mike’s heart was ready to receive the gift of salvation. With the motor idling, the two young men bowed their heads together in the back of the van and Mike prayed:

“Lord Jesus, come into my heart. I repent of all my sins. Forgive me. Wash me in Your blood. By faith, I receive Your gift of eternal life. I acknowledge that You died for the sins of the world and that You arose from the dead. I accept You now as Lord of my life.”

Mike felt a warm sensation wash through his heart that brought cleansing beyond any laundry soap. “The peace of God settled like fresh dew on my soul. I was changed and I knew it,” he recalls.

“God generated a brand new spirit in me and I had truly become a new person – a ‘new creation.’”

Mike and Elizabeth Shreve pastor The Sanctuary in Cleveland, Tennessee. Mike has made numerous appearances on Christian programs such as TBN, The 700 Club, and TCT Network. He has worked in evangelism globally since 1971, is the Founder/Director of Deeper Revelation Books publishing company and is the author of 13 books.

If you want to know more about a personal relationship with God, go here

Source: The Kundalini Yoga instructor who found Jesus | God Reports

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Prayer Warrior,
Yes, I am now 5'2", she has to be a good inch if not even more shorter than I...and that is with her wearing heels!!! Ahaha...she is cute as a button.
Of course I will pray for you and healing only He can fix! This board is a daily prayer for me, I do name off the names when coming into my head, for specific prayer. The rest is in general, that God Spirit would saturate all and every one who comes and goes from here.
I will start today lifting prayers for good health and a whole body, mind and spirit for you sister.
Amen!
Ha, I'm taller than you at 5'3"! Not to worry; I won't look down on you! :p

BTW, thanks for your prayers!!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's an excerpt from an article about Mike Shreve, who gives his testimony as a former yogi turned Christian pastor. In the video I posted above, he warns about the dangers of Yoga.

The Kundalini Yoga instructor who found Jesus
April 10, 2015

Yogi Bhajan, a guru from India, who arrived in America to help the flower children find their way spiritually, became a big influence. “He taught us about yoga. The emphasis was not on obtaining a relationship with God, but rather, on attaining a realization of our inherent oneness with God (actually, an understanding that we are God), Mike notes.

In every free moment — between his college classes – Mike pursued the goal of reaching enlightenment.

But then he unexpectedly dropped out of Florida State, because he thought his conventional studies could lead him toward a mundane existence – where he might become “a stale crumb to be eaten by the tiger of time,” to quote one of his favorite Hindu poets.

After he left school, he helped start an ashram in Daytona Beach, a commune where yoga votaries live and practice their spiritual disciplines together. As he studied the Bhagavad-Gita and the Vedas – ancient Hindu Scriptures – he felt he was beginning to blend into oneness with the “oversoul,” as experience out-of-body excursions into the astral realm and vivid spiritual dreams.

Because he felt a zeal to help the dawning of the “Age of Aquarius,” he moved to Tampa, Florida, where four universities in the area opened their doors to him to teach Kundalini Yoga.

As a following developed around him and his classes, the Tampa Tribune newspaper published a story about Mike. He was thrilled by the free publicity as his classes continued to grow.

But little did he know the news story also alerted a Christian group in Tampa to clip the article, pin it to their prayer board, and assign people to fast and pray for him every hour of every day until his conversion!

Several weeks after the article appeared he received a letter from a college friend named Larry, who had also been devoted to yoga and meditation. But Larry happened to walk into a church one day and heard an audible voice say, “Jesus is the only way.” At that moment, the Holy Spirit opened his heart to believe and Larry was born again.

When Mike read Larry’s letter, he thought the term ‘born again’ must be synonymous with Nirvana, Samadhi or Christ consciousness, but Larry insisted it was different.

“Mike, you’ll never find ultimate peace through yoga and meditation,” Larry wrote. “You have to go through the cross. You have to be spiritually reborn. Jesus really is the way to eternal life.”

Mike wrote back a respectful letter, explaining he was happy his friend found a path that was right for him, but noted that he thought Christianity seemed illogical and the claims of Jesus too exclusive.

Unexpectedly however, a few weeks later, Mike’s heart began to soften. He thought he shouldn’t dismiss Jesus out-of-hand, but give him a chance. So one morning, instead of following his usual yoga routine, he decided to dedicate one day to Jesus.

“Lord Jesus,” he prayed. “I commit this day to you. I believe if you are real and if you’re the Savior of the world, you will show me today.”

Mike opened up a Bible and began to read through the Gospel of John and the book of Revelation until the afternoon, when he left for the University of South Florida.

That same afternoon, Kent Sullivan, a member of the student prayer group that had been praying for Mike (and a former follower of an Indian guru named Yogananda), was on the way to wash his dirty clothes. He got halfway through the door of a Laundromat when God impressed this on his heart:

Don’t go in there. I have something else for you to do. Get back in your van and drive where I lead you.

Kent made several distinct turns as directed by the Holy Spirit until he was on a road behind Busch gardens. He had no idea the yoga teacher he had been praying for in the last few weeks was hitchhiking, trying to get a ride to the University.

Suddenly Kent spied a young man with long curly brown hair, a long beard, and Indian-style clothing hitchhiking on the side of the road. Kent felt compelled to pull over and pick him up, but had no idea who it was.

As Mike stepped into the van he immediately noticed a picture of Jesus taped to the ceiling and his heart began to race.

“Can I ask you a question,” Kent asked.

“Yes.”

Kent was very direct. “Have you ever experienced Jesus coming into your heart?”

“No,” Mike replied, “but when can I? I’ve been praying about the experience all day long.”

Kent’s eyes widened with surprise. He didn’t expect such a quick response. “You can come to your prayer meeting tonight.”

“I don’t want to wait for a prayer meeting,” Mike said. “I want to experience Jesus right now.”

Excitedly, Kent pulled his van off the road into the first parking lot he could find. Within a few minutes he realized Mike was the one he had been praying about during the last four weeks.

As Kent went through the Scripture and explained the good news of the Gospel, Mike peppered him with a myriad of questions, but Kent kept replying: “Don’t concern yourself with those things. Just try Jesus.”

Finally, Mike’s heart was ready to receive the gift of salvation. With the motor idling, the two young men bowed their heads together in the back of the van and Mike prayed:

“Lord Jesus, come into my heart. I repent of all my sins. Forgive me. Wash me in Your blood. By faith, I receive Your gift of eternal life. I acknowledge that You died for the sins of the world and that You arose from the dead. I accept You now as Lord of my life.”

Mike felt a warm sensation wash through his heart that brought cleansing beyond any laundry soap. “The peace of God settled like fresh dew on my soul. I was changed and I knew it,” he recalls.

“God generated a brand new spirit in me and I had truly become a new person – a ‘new creation.’”

Mike and Elizabeth Shreve pastor The Sanctuary in Cleveland, Tennessee. Mike has made numerous appearances on Christian programs such as TBN, The 700 Club, and TCT Network. He has worked in evangelism globally since 1971, is the Founder/Director of Deeper Revelation Books publishing company and is the author of 13 books.

If you want to know more about a personal relationship with God, go here

Source: The Kundalini Yoga instructor who found Jesus | God Reports

Well if you can't honestly have a conversation with me regarding the good that prayer and meditation has done for alcoholics and drug addicts in the 12 step program, or acknowledge the good meditation can do as mentioned in the wikipage as a scientific study. Then I think we're done here.

I'm not the type of person that listens to mainstream Christianity. But I have noticed a general support of the 12 step program by many churches which hold 12 step meetings in their rooms.