Yoga

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find it perfectly fine to participate in as long as it's used for relaxation and exercise only. I mostly love just to close my eyes, relax, and concentrate on happy and positive things. (Why I close my eyes when I'm relaxed I don't know but it does help me a lot for concentration. :) )

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find it perfectly fine to participate in as long as it's used for relaxation and exercise only. I mostly love just to close my eyes, relax, and concentrate on happy and positive things. (Why I close my eyes when I'm relaxed I don't know but it does help me a lot for concentration. :) )
There you go again, @April_Rose , promoting your unchristian beliefs. :rolleyes:

You and @Giuliano should get together. He just loves Kundalini Yoga--raising the serpent power in the spine! And it shows in his attitudes and beliefs. Just saying. Of course, it's purely demonic!

What is the Christian view of yoga?

Question: "What is the Christian view of yoga?"

Answer:
For many Christians in the West who don’t understand the history behind it, yoga is simply a means of physical exercise and strengthening and improving flexibility of the muscles. However, the philosophy behind yoga is much more than physically improving oneself. It is an ancient practice derived from India, believed to be the path to spiritual growth and enlightenment.

The word yoga means "union," and the goal is to unite one’s transitory (temporary) self with the infinite Brahman, the Hindu concept of "God." This god is not a literal being, but is an impersonal spiritual substance that is one with nature and the cosmos. This view is called "pantheism," the belief that everything is God and that reality consists only of the universe and nature. Because everything is God, the yoga philosophy makes no distinction between man and God.

Hatha yoga is the aspect of yoga that focuses on the physical body through special postures, breathing exercises, and concentration or meditation. It is a means to prepare the body for the spiritual exercises, with fewer obstacles, in order to achieve enlightenment. The practice of yoga is based on the belief that man and God are one. It is little more than self-worship disguised as high-level spirituality.

The question becomes, is it possible for a Christian to isolate the physical aspects of yoga as simply a method of exercise, without incorporating the spirituality or philosophy behind it? Yoga originated with a blatantly anti-Christian philosophy, and that philosophy has not changed. It teaches one to focus on oneself instead of on the one true God. It encourages its participants to seek the answers to life’s difficult questions within their own consciousness instead of in the Word of God. It also leaves one open to deception from God’s enemy, who searches for victims whom he can turn away from God (1 Peter 5:8).

Whatever we do should be done for God’s glory (1 Corinthians 10:31), and we would be wise to heed the words of the apostle Paul: "Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise" (Philippians 4:8, NLT). A Christian should exercise caution and pray for discernment regarding involvement in yoga.

Source: What is the Christian view of yoga? | GotQuestions.org

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I used meditation and memory regression taught to me by a therapist to recover from some childhood trauma. It allowed me to regain some inner peace. I am a changed man because of it. It didn't bring me closer to God, but it did allow me to be free of some compulsive behaviors that were induced by the traumas I experienced as a child. My counselor called it "inner child" work. I didn't do the inner child work but used those ideas in my meditations and memory regressions.

Now I can recall traumatic experiences from age 2 while I was in my crib. I remember having the lights turned off and my mother shutting the door and leaving. As a 2 year old, I thought I was being abandoned. 2 year olds just don't understand I guess.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There you go again, @April_Rose , promoting your unchristian beliefs. :rolleyes:

You and @Giuliano should get together. He just loves Kundalini Yoga--raising the serpent power in the spine! And it shows in his attitudes and beliefs. Just saying. Of course, it's purely demonic!

Answer:
For many Christians in the West who don’t understand the history behind it, yoga is simply a means of physical exercise and strengthening and improving flexibility of the muscles. However, the philosophy behind yoga is much more than physically improving oneself. It is an ancient practice derived from India, believed to be the path to spiritual growth and enlightenment.

The word yoga means "union," and the goal is to unite one’s transitory (temporary) self with the infinite Brahman, the Hindu concept of "God." This god is not a literal being, but is an impersonal spiritual substance that is one with nature and the cosmos. This view is called "pantheism," the belief that everything is God and that reality consists only of the universe and nature. Because everything is God, the yoga philosophy makes no distinction between man and God.

Hatha yoga is the aspect of yoga that focuses on the physical body through special postures, breathing exercises, and concentration or meditation. It is a means to prepare the body for the spiritual exercises, with fewer obstacles, in order to achieve enlightenment. The practice of yoga is based on the belief that man and God are one. It is little more than self-worship disguised as high-level spirituality.

The question becomes, is it possible for a Christian to isolate the physical aspects of yoga as simply a method of exercise, without incorporating the spirituality or philosophy behind it? Yoga originated with a blatantly anti-Christian philosophy, and that philosophy has not changed. It teaches one to focus on oneself instead of on the one true God. It encourages its participants to seek the answers to life’s difficult questions within their own consciousness instead of in the Word of God. It also leaves one open to deception from God’s enemy, who searches for victims whom he can turn away from God (1 Peter 5:8).

Whatever we do should be done for God’s glory (1 Corinthians 10:31), and we would be wise to heed the words of the apostle Paul: "Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise" (Philippians 4:8, NLT). A Christian should exercise caution and pray for discernment regarding involvement in yoga.

Then I guess I should tell my back injury physical therapist to repent. I've been ordered certain Yoga moves as therapy to strengthen my back. Although I've not been ordered to worship any serpents, lol!:rolleyes:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used meditation and memory regression taught to me by a therapist to recover from some childhood trauma. It allowed me to regain some inner peace. I am a changed man because of it. It didn't bring me closer to God, but it did allow me to be free of some compulsive behaviors that were induced by the traumas I experienced as a child. My counselor called it "inner child" work. I didn't do the inner child work but used those ideas in my meditations and memory regressions.

Now I can recall traumatic experiences from age 2 while I was in my crib. I remember having the lights turned off and my mother shutting the door and leaving. As a 2 year old, I though I was being abandoned. 2 year olds just don't understand I guess.
It's true that psychology can make us FEEL better. BUT man's false ideas CANNOT make us BE better.

Only saving faith in Jesus Christ transforms us and makes us new creations!

Reactions: dev553344

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then I guess I should tell my back injury physical therapist to repent. I've been ordered certain Yoga moves as therapy to strengthen my back. Although I've not been ordered to worship any serpents, lol!
What? You practice Kundalini Yoga too?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The devil is crafty. If he can't obscure the truth by getting people to believe a blatant lie, he twists the truth so that his lies are more palatable!

Unchristian, Eastern philosophies and practices, are an area where Satan has done this. Why "stretch" the same way that Hindus do when they are praying to their false gods and opening themselves up to demons?

NOT WISE AT ALL!

Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's true that psychology can make us FEEL better. BUT man's false ideas CANNOT make us BE better.

Only saving faith in Jesus Christ transforms us and makes us new creations!

To be honest, it makes it much harder to not sin when you're suffering from OCD. But sure, I believe God helped me thru my memory regression.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I'm going to link a testimony when I get home revealing how deep this rabbit hole goes.

I've heard about Pilates exercises. I trust there is nothing demonic with that

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to link a testimony when I get home revealing how deep this rabbit hole goes.

I've heard about Pilates exercises. I trust there is nothing demonic with that
I've seen some mixed reviews on pilates, but maybe someone who knows more about it could comment.

Here's an interesting article.

What is the Christian view of Pilates?

Question: "What is the Christian view of Pilates?"

Answer:
Pilates (pronounced pih-lah’-tiz) is a physical fitness system developed in the early 20th century by Joseph Pilates (1880-1967), a German gymnast, diver and body-builder. Pilates called his method “Contrology,” because he believed his method uses the mind to control the muscles. The program focuses on the core muscles, those that surround the spine and internal organs, which help keep the body balanced and which are essential to providing support. In particular, Pilates exercises teach awareness of breath and alignment of the spine and aim to strengthen the deep torso muscles. According to Pilates instructors, the goal of the exercises is to create a fusion of mind and body, training the body so that without even engaging the mind, it will move with economy, grace, and balance. Pilates is based on certain principles to condition the entire body: proper alignment, centering, concentration, control, precision, breathing, and flowing movement.

From this description of Pilates exercises, there is nothing to alarm Christians or cause us to fear or mistrust Pilates. All Christians should be concerned with proper diet and exercise so that our bodies, which are the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19), are kept in as good condition as possible. All types of exercises are improved by controlled breathing, and strengthening the core muscles that support the spine, and therefore the entire body, is crucial to maintaining good health. All the Pilates principles mentioned above are commonly accepted methods of strengthening and conditioning the body.

Most Pilates programs focus entirely on the physical exercises. Some, however, attempt to incorporate aspects of Eastern religions or New Age thought: visualization, mind/spirit control, or the Taoist aspects of tai chi. These elements are usually introduced into a Pilates program by an overly zealous instructor who has himself or herself been indoctrinated into New Age philosophy and has brought it into all aspects of life, including exercise. The wise thing for a Christian who is considering Pilates to do is first talk with the instructor to determine his or her philosophical inclinations. If the instructor teaches pure Pilates, there is nothing to stop Christians from participating. But if the instructor incorporates New Age teachings, a different Pilates class should probably be sought out.

Source: What is the Christian view of Pilates? | GotQuestions.org

Reactions: Nancy and lforrest

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
goal is to unite one’s transitory (temporary) self with the infinite

You mean like bringing the flesh in line with Godly thinking?
spiritual substance that is one with nature and the cosmos
You mean understanding God as omnipresent in all of nature and the universe?
yoga philosophy makes no distinction between man and God.
You mean like, "ye are all gods, all of you"?
based on the belief that man and God are one.
You mean like the Holy Spirit and the self exist in your single body?
seek the answers to life’s difficult questions within their own consciousness
Like the Holy Spirit within us?

It's not their own consciousness that they seek, it is God-consciousness within that they seek.

Remember, the word sorcerer comes from the Greek meaning 'dispenser of medicine' - any Christian who goes to a physician or pharmacist is seeking help from a sorcerer. This, at least, is clearly spelled out in the Bible. Nothing for or against yoga is even mentioned in the Bible directly. "Ye know not what you speak of."

Reactions: April_Rose

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean like bringing the flesh in line with Godly thinking?

Uh, no, Christians don't "unite one’s transitory (temporary) self with the infinite." What is the "transitory self"? In pantheist religions, this is also called the "real self"--the self that doesn't know that it is God, supposedly.

But we are not God, so this thinking is false.

There's only ONE remedy for the flesh. It cannot be "brought in line with godly thinking." Our flesh HAS TO BE crucified with Christ, and we are to account it as being crucified, according to Paul. The problem is not only in our minds (as with Eastern religions). It's in our whole being. We are sinners in need of the only true Savior, and that is Jesus Christ!

As Christians, once our flesh has been crucified after we have been born of the Spirit, we have the mind of Christ. Because of THIS, we can bring our thoughts in line with God's thoughts. And what are God's thoughts? They are His Word!

Reactions: MattMooradian

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean understanding God as omnipresent in all of nature and the universe?
Wrong again. God's "spiritual substance" is NOT "one with nature and the cosmos."

Again, this is pantheism, NOT Christianity. I wonder why pantheists would want to be part of a Christian forum. Hmm

You mean like, "ye are all gods, all of you"?

Are you God, Matt??? Really??? Pantheism and "yoga philosophy makes no distinction between man and God." This is NOT what the Bible teaches. God has ALWAYS existed and therefore existed before He created the universe and man, which are NOT God. IOW, the Creator is distinct from His creation!

You mean like the Holy Spirit and the self exist in your single body?
No, because I am not the Holy Spirit, who IS GOD. I am NOT God, and neither are you! Sorry!

Paul compares the union of Christ and His church with the oneness between a husband and wife. They become one flesh, but they are NOT each other. IOW, they remain distinct individuals. Our oneness with Christ does not mean that we ARE Christ. The truth is that we will never BE Christ, who is God!

Like the Holy Spirit within us?

It's not their own consciousness that they seek, it is God-consciousness within that they seek.

Here again, you are completely off! This is New Age junk that you're preaching, not the gospel of Jesus Christ. I honestly hope that you are saved, Matt. But if you believe that you are God, I have my doubts. I'm praying for you!!

Last edited:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Answer:

I have reported your post for containing a personal attack. You have no idea what my views on this are, so why stop pretending to know? This was a lie -- reminding me of the serpent, the father of lies. Look to yourself then, speaking with your forked tongue. You speak like him, often with a great deal of truth but containing dangerous lies as well. One ought not to mix truth and lies, sweet and bitter, good and evil, darkness and light.

Oh dear, how the spirit of criticism flows from you. . . . Yes, who does that remind me of?

The commentary about yoga and Hinduism is also naive and incorrect. Hinduism teaches that only God or Brahman truly exists. Rabbi Maimonides taught a very similar thing. Everything that exists exists solely on the continuing will of God to have it exist.

Christianity is often a religion of stumbling along in the dark other religions. which cannot explain many things. Why did Moses make a statue of the serpent on the pole and lift it up? Why did Jesus compare himself to that serpent being "lifted up"? Admit it, you have no clue. Do you know what other sheep had in what other folds?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we look at religions, or philosophies, we have to look at the core beliefs. In Eastern religions and New Age, pantheism is the core belief. Pantheism is the belief that All is God, or God is All--the so-called "divine Unity." IOW, pantheism teaches that all that exists is God.

But this is not the core belief of Christianity. We were given the Creation account in Genesis, and we can clearly see that God existed before creating the universe. If the universe were to cease to exist, God would not be changed by this because He is NOT His creation.

The main goal of yoga and Eastern meditation in general is to overcome the supposed illusion of separation from God, meaning the pantheistic idea that God is all that exists. For the pantheist, the problem is all in the mind, so mantra meditation is often used to alter the consciousness so that the individual no longer perceives himself as being separate....

Therefore, the goal of pantheistic religions is a form of nothingness where the person ceases to exist as an individual and melds into "God" like a drop of water merging back into then ocean. At this point, they believe that suffering ceases.

But contrast this wrong ideology with the truth!

• First, God has always existed and transcends His creation. IOW, the universe is NOT God!
  • Second, humans are not God and never will be God. Those of us who are saved are in Christ, and He is in us, but we do not become Christ, who is God.
  • Third, the only way to escape suffering is to go to heaven. And the only people who will end up in heaven are those who are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone. No amount of meditation will bring this about.
  • Satan, who is the "father of lies," has created counterfeit religions that can SEEM to contain truths, but the core beliefs of these religions are clearly false when compared to God's truth (true truth) in the Bible. And belief in these lies (which amounts to unbelief) can lead a person to hell.
  • There is ONLY one name by which men can be saved, and this name is Jesus Christ!!! Only through believing in Him can man be saved. His crucifixion and resurrection were required for our salvation.
Of course, there is a lot more that I could say here, but basic truths from the Bible never change. People who do not come to God on His terms, according to the truth, are in unbelief. And it is accepting or refusing to believe in the finished work of Jesus Christ that determines a person's eternal destination.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have reported your post for containing a personal attack. You have no idea what my views on this are, so why stop pretending to know? This was a lie -- reminding me of the serpent, the father of lies. Look to yourself then, speaking with your forked tongue. You speak like him, often with a great deal of truth but containing dangerous lies as well. One ought not to mix truth and lies, sweet and bitter, good and evil, darkness and light.

Oh dear, how the spirit of criticism flows from you. . . . Yes, who does that remind me of?

The commentary about yoga and Hinduism is also naive and incorrect. Hinduism teaches that only God or Brahman truly exists. Rabbi Maimonides taught a very similar thing. Everything that exists exists solely on the continuing will of God to have it exist.

Christianity is often a religion of stumbling along in the dark other religions. which cannot explain many things. Why did Moses make a statue of the serpent on the pole and lift it up? Why did Jesus compare himself to that serpent being "lifted up"? Admit it, you have no clue. Do you know what other sheep had in what other folds?

Good rebuttal. I had forgot about Moses and the serpent rod.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I could probably find the conversation between you and me a while back about your involvement in Kundalini Yoga. Is this what you're talking about?

Christianity is often a religion of stumbling along in the dark other religions. which cannot explain many things.

Is this what you believe? How can a Christian say such a thing???

Last edited: