You search the scriptures...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Joh 5:39 You search the scriptures; for in them you think you have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And you will not come to me, that you might have life.

Jesus strongly rebuked the Religious leaders because they searched the scriptures, and through those claimed for themselves eternal life.

The same pattern can be found today in the great numbers that claim to follow after Christ. After all, the religious leaders, claimed to follow Moses, but did not.

Many search in the scriptures a means of justifying themselves as did the Pharisees, but by doing this men pass by the very purpose of the scriptures; they point to Christ, the tree of life.

By faith, we offer our lives up to Him and seek him until we find him, receiving his life. By religious belief, we add to our old lives justification through an external obedience to a spiritual commandment.

Which pattern do we follow?

Reactions: HeRoseFromTheDead

Asyncritus

Sep 8, 2013
This is a strange post.

What do you make of:

2 Tim 3.16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

and

Acts 17. 2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

17.11 11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Since Jesus Himself wasn't there, they couldn't go to Him personally, as He is saying in John 5.39,40.

So were these people above entirely wrong, as you seem to be suggesting?

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
No, my suggestion is not that we should not search the scriptures.

Rather notice the emphasis on "in them you think you have eternal life."

The purpose of the scriptures is to point us to Christ. The scriptures SPEAK of the tree of life, but we must EAT of the tree of life.

Notice also that the scriptures is profitable for instruction in righteousness. The scriptures instruct, they point in the right direction.

Paul pointed also to Christ, and tried to show how the scriptures also point to him, since these men already believed the OT.

But Paul did this so that they would truly come to Christ and receive of his life.

The purpose of the op is to point to the danger that existed then and exists today; having a belief set based on parts of the bible by which we justify ourselves, instead of seeing the deeper purpose and going to Christ to receive life and truly be transformed... And walk in the same power as the Apostles and the prophets! :)

The purpose of the gospel and the promises is not that we believe with our head and add this to our life, but that we believe INTO Jesus where we must abide. From there we are made to be rivers of living waters for the rest of the world.

It is better to give than to receive. Initially we are needy for God's life. We receive only. But we must become vessels that can receive the life and then impart it to others.

Blessings!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
2 Tim 3.16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
The word "scripture" is basically a wrting, or added, Holy Writ", that makes the Koran and any other religious book "scripture", Scripture does not denote that something is from God, it simply is a writng no more no less. But was it God who inspired Peter,

Mar 8:32 And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.

Jesus certainly never thought so,

Mar 8:33 But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men.

In all His Love

Asyncritus

Sep 8, 2013
The purpose of the scriptures is to point us to Christ. The scriptures SPEAK of the tree of life, but we must EAT of the tree of life.
I really like that saying.

The purpose of the op is to point to the danger that existed then and exists today; having a belief set based on parts of the bible by which we justify ourselves, instead of seeing the deeper purpose and going to Christ to receive life and truly be transformed... And walk in the same power as the Apostles and the prophets!
My personal attitude is a simple one. If it's there in the scripture I believe and obey it.

What has alarmed me (and put me off very severely over the years) is this business of possessing the holy spirit, and claims to do so.

This 'speaking in tongues' business, is quite comical in my mind. The spectacle of going into a church where they are rolling around on the ground, frothing at the mouth, creating huge rackets, and pouring out gibberish while claiming to be speaking in 'tongues' is quite simply appalling. Ridiculously so.

I was door-knocking one day, when a little lady came to the door, and we got into conversation, she being of the spirit-filled variety. 'Haven't you ever felt the spirit grabbing you and shaking you?' she asked. 'No' said I, whereupon she leapt back into the hallway, and started 'speaking in tongues'! I was slightly stunned, because she merely appeared incoherent, rather than bringing a message of some kind to me.

Eventually she returned to normality, and resumed the conversation.

On another occasion, I went into a church in Port-of-Spain, and resisted all the altar-calling of the minister. Many of the congregation went up to be 'saved', but the most alarming thing was when the service ended, there was one girl still wandering round the stage - completely out of her mind, it seemed to me: not violently so, but she was far, far away. Eventually, someone went up and took her by the hand and brought her back to her seat.

The point of telling you all this is simply this: how does anyone KNOW they are 'filled with the holy spirit'? How can such claims be made? With what justification? And if the claim is false, or merely imaginary, then can that be classified as 'blaspheming against the holy spirit', because a false claim is being made?

These are serious matters, and they become far more so in the business of church leadership.

As far as I know, almost EVERY church under the sun claims to be led by the spirit.

From catholics to anglicans, to jehovah's witnesses, to seventh day adventists, to each and all of the pentecostal churches notably the charismatic ones, etc etc etc. With one accord, they ALL claim to be led by the holy spirit.

Let's face it, they CAN'T POSSIBLY be all led by the holy spirit. God is not the author of confusion - and that is precisely what we see if we take a dispassionate look at their teachings.

Some teach heaven going, others say no.

Some teach a trinity, others teach the unity of God.

Some appoint leaders in conclave, others by democratic voting, or by weight of financial power.

Some say you must speak in tongues, or you can't be saved. Others say no, that is incorrect.

I could go on, but you know what I mean.

Therefore, since all claim 'spirit guidance', then the spirit obviously doesn't know what it is doing, or the claims are false.

Which option do you choose? And why?

Which brings us back to the original point of this post. HOW CAN WE KNOW WHETHER A CLAIM TO SPIRIT GUIDANCE OR SPIRIT POSSESSION IS CORRECT, OR NOT?

IMHO, there is only one way, and that is the war cry uttered so long ago by Isaiah 8. 20

To the law and to the testimony; if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Which essentially is saying 'search the scriptures' and check whether these things are so or not.

And even then there are problems. I see Angeline quoting Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

It's a nice-sounding passage, but what exactly does he mean? Since he's not here to tell us, what do we do? Simple, we search the scriptures to see what they say!

And what do they say?

Well, looking up 'FILLED' we come cross passages such as this one:

Ro 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

It's obvious, isn't it, that he is telling the disciples in Ephesus, to do the exact opposite of these things? Of course he is. But is he saying that you've got to be filled with the holy spirit IN ORDER to do these good things?

I somehow doubt it, because again, searching the scriptures, I find this:

Acts 10.1 ¶ There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,
2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

This is Cornelius, who hadn't been baptised, either with the holy spirit, or with water as yet - and still did all these wonderful things. How did he manage this? By knowing what God had commanded in the Word.

I think you are right in drawing our attention to the excesses of the scribes and Pharisees, but the passage DOES say this too:

Jn 5. 39 [Part 1] You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me;
40 yet you refuse [Part 2] to come to me that you may have life.

You've got Part 1 right, He says, but you miss out Part 2.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
You're assuming I missed part 2, but you haven't asked yet, or at least I didn't perceive your question. :)

I actually agree with you. If it is from the Spirit, it will be in agreement with the scriptures. We are to test the Spirit, and by two or three witnesses is a matter confirmed (The Spirit and the scriptures, for example).

I was aiming more at a different issue though... I am glad you bring this one up. I was speaking of knowing the word and the scriptures without the Spirit, which on it's own is dead. You speak of seeking the Spirit without verifying by the word which Spirit it really is. I guess you could say I was warning against having the map without the compass, and you, a compass without the map.

I've heard of what you talk about in your examples. People seek experience from any spirit. What I see that is so different from these people's testimonies and that of the New Testament is that they are all about an experience, and a weird one at that... But speaking in tongues is not in Acts the focus of the Spirit filled life. Rather the apostles and brethren, when they preach or write letters, focus on leading godly lives, in sobriety.

As for your comment on Cornelius, I see a difference between a righteous man and a holy man. When Peter arrives, and begins to speak, he says 'I perceive that God is no respecter of persons, but in every nation he that fears him and works righteousness is accepted of Him.'

What Peter puts forth is that then righteousness doesn't require one to be filled with the Spirit. But if this man already had all this, why then would Peter be sent to him? What more could Peter impart to Cornelius that he didn't already have, if he was righteous and feared God?

Holiness. If we are indeed called of him, we are called to holiness. Where righteousness is to be true and honest, and fearing God, holiness is built onto righteousness and is a witness of God to all those around us. By righteousness we are saved, but by holiness the door is opened to those among us also to be saved and to know Him.

I leave you with this: "If only one man or woman were raised by his power, to stand and live in the same spirit that the prophets and apostles were in who gave forth the scriptures, that man or woman should shake all the country in their profession for ten miles round." (George Fox) This is the purpose of the baptism and the power from on high, that not only we believe, but that we be a testimony for all those around to believe.

Blessings in Christ! :)

PS. Thank you for bringing balance to this thread, Asyncritus :)

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
The Word is Jesus and thus exalts Jesus. The Holy Spirit is the leader INTO all truth and He is the Spirit of Jesus thus the Spirit of Truth! There needs to be a proper balance of the Word and the Holy Spirit for both are there for us to grow in The Faith founded upon and in Jesus!
"Saved by the blood of Jesus, Sanctified by the Word of Jesus, filled with the Spirit of Jesus!"

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi

Asyncritus

Its a bit liek a GPS, you programme in teh destination, you follow it, than when you reach your desitnation you get out the car, but for most tha tever happens they read all baout Jesus, but that is where it ends they never actually follow Him as he asked. they made it to Jesus street but got stuck in the roundabout.

In all his Love

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
mjrhealth said:
Hi
Asyncritus

Its a bit liek a GPS, you programme in teh destination, you follow it, than when you reach your desitnation you get out the car, but for most tha tever happens they read all baout Jesus, but that is where it ends they never actually follow Him as he asked. they made it to Jesus street but got stuck in the roundabout.

In all his Love
Yes! That was what I intended to point to.

Well said. :)

It is good to read about Him and His ways... If it leads us to following him! It is not the hearers of the word but the doers of the word!