Your opinions on how to forgive the unthinkable

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thomasleonard

Christian Spokesman
Aug 17, 2014
London
I have a long list of questions to debate about, and i am more than happy to share them with you if it gets the debating going nd the opinions flowing.
These are not necessarily my thoughts exactly but i want a debate to arouse to hear the opinions of all Christians likewise.

Thanks a lot.
God Bless.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Thomasleonard, the short answer is to cry out for vengeance.

Many Christians have the wrong idea of forgiveness, that it means reconciliation, love, and the complete paving over of past wrongs. It's an attainable thing when the offense wasn't very grave, but not quite so when the knife burrows deep and with a twist.

Jesus told the parable of the woman and the unjust judge in which the woman pesters the judge relentlessly for justice against her adversary. Finally worn down, the unjust judge grants the woman what she wants. Jesus ends the parable saying that God will surely avenge his children who cry out to him night and day. We see this again with the martyrs in heaven, saying, "How long, Lord, until you avenge our blood upon the inhabitants of the earth?" (Rev 6:10)

So why are Christians critical of other Christians who petition vengeance for crimes committed against them? Could it be that many, if not most Christians have a distorted view of forgiveness?

FORGIVENESS ISN'T ABOUT TAKING ANYONE OFF THE HOOK, IT'S ABOUT TAKING THEM OFF OUR HOOK AND PLACING THEM ON GOD'S HOOK.

We need to stop telling ourselves we're being unchristian by insisting on justice, that we're not forgiving until we have no angst or bitterness against the person, until we feel nothing but love toward that person. Nonsense. If a person slanders you behind your back and asks your forgiveness, then forgive them. If they ask it 7 times, then forgive them 7 times, or 70 times 7. But if that person molested you as a child, murdered your wife, framed you for a crime you didn't commit and sent you to prison, then forgiveness takes a different form, not the doing away of past offenses, but of bringing those offenses to a higher court by which they'll receive judgment and reciprocity far in excess of what you can possibly mete out.

No discussion of forgiveness is complete until it's made clear that God will speedily avenge those who cry out to him for vengeance, and we may do so without impunity.

Reactions: Dan57

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Forgiveness is part of our redeemed life as believer's. The bible makes it clear [Matt 6:9-15] we need to forgive others as our heavenly Father has forgiven us. When I ask God to forgive me for harboring an offense in my heart towards others, that offense cannot be brought up again. My relationship is with God first and If an opportunity arises to go and make peace with an offender I will endeavor to do so...prayerfully

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Throughout my life time I have been abused many many times. Most of the most serious abuse I suffered was by people who were not sorry at all and never asked my forgiveness. I suffered horrible nightmares for many years- reliving the events over and over again- waking up crying my eyes out. I was 30 years old when I found myself crying again in the middle of the night: "God please take these nightmares from me I begged and pleaded". A still small kind voice entered my head saying: You must forgive! I cried out But I did, But I tried, but i thought I did. and i just can't. Without even thinking I said God- You will just have to do it for me. God did it for me and continues to do it for me. Thank-you Father in Heaven!!! I forgive the abusers even though they did not ask because you help me all the time. I no longer feel hatred towards the rapists and child abusers. Sometimes it is still hard in the cases where I still have to deal with the abusers but God continues to help me to let it go. I still do have resentment against a certain religion and the lies and cruelty they continue, but with God's help I will be healed from this also. Forgive them Father for they know not what they do. Please allow my tears to wash away the pain and please remove the darkness from the abusers and rapists and murderers. May they be washed in your love and forgiveness just the same as you have forgiven me!
In Jesus name I ask!