1 Cor 7:27?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Is it God's work?

Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife.

Reactions: Truth

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it God's work?

Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife.

I just read 1st Cor 7:27-40. I am committed to my wife, and if and when she passes, I will never look for another, for it is true, we that are pledged to a Wife, will concern ourselves on how to please Her, and vice-versa. It is and can be a distraction, in serving the Lord!

But until then I will try to serve as best I can!!

Reactions: amadeus and Pisteuo

Nov 2, 2016
USA
sugkuria: chance
Original Word: συγκυρία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: sugkuria
Phonetic Spelling: (soong-koo-ree'-ah)
Short Definition: a coincidence, accident, chance
Definition: a coincidence, accident, chance.

HELPS Word-studies
4795 sygkyría (from 4862 /sýn, "identified with" and kyreō, "to happen co-incidentally") – properly, what occurs together by God's providential arrangement of circumstances – all achieving His eternal purpose in each scene of life. 4795 (sygkyría) is used only in Lk 10:31.

Lk 10:31: "According to [divine] co-incidence (4795 /sygkyría), a certain priest was going down in that way . . . "

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it God's work?
Why would it be God's work, if he has given husbands certain responsibilities?

You also omitted a critical comment below that: But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned...

According to Scripture, and according to the heart and mind of God, MARRIAGE IS HONOURABLE IN ALL, AND THE BED UNDEFILED.

Reactions: FHII

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is it God's work?

It is always dangerous to just quote a verse in isolatiuon.

The normal situation is for men and women to be married and to raise children together.
Those seeking to work full time for God were not to abandon a girl they were promised to marry, but if intending to serve God full time and they were not already arranged to be married then they didn't have to get married.

It is not an invite for single men to play but and invitatiuon to commit to a lifetime of service.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Why would it be God's work, if he has given husbands certain responsibilities?

You also omitted a critical comment below that: But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned...

According to Scripture, and according to the heart and mind of God, MARRIAGE IS HONOURABLE IN ALL, AND THE BED UNDEFILED.

When has the world not been in a crisis, 1 Cor 7:26.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
It is always dangerous to just quote a verse in isolatiuon.

The normal situation is for men and women to be married and to raise children together.
Those seeking to work full time for God were not to abandon a girl they were promised to marry, but if intending to serve God full time and they were not already arranged to be married then they didn't have to get married.

It is not an invite for single men to play but and invitatiuon to commit to a lifetime of service.

Exactly. I don't think be fruitful and multiply applies anymore, Noah did not have a choice.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When has the world not been in a crisis, 1 Cor 7:26.
It does not matter. God created men and women for marriage and that will continue, crisis or no crisis. Most crises are artificial and created with a hidden agenda.

Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Exactly. I don't think be fruitful and multiply applies anymore, Noah did not have a choice.
Why would that not apply any more? Not sure what Noah has to do with this. And Jesus made it perfectly clear that the single state was not for everyone. All the apostles were married and served the Lord without any hindrance.

God created men and women to complement and complete each other. And people generally mature when they have a spouse, children, and a marriage, and cannot remain self-centered and selfish.

Reactions: Helen

Nov 2, 2016
USA
It does not matter. God created men and women for marriage and that will continue, crisis or no crisis. Most crises are artificial and created with a hidden agenda.

I don't think Paul was referring to it being artificial or w/agenda. Artificial violence? :rolleyes:

anagké: necessity
Original Word: ἀνάγκη, ης, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: anagké
Phonetic Spelling: (an-ang-kay')
Short Definition: necessity, constraint, compulsion
Definition: necessity, constraint, compulsion; there is need to; force, violence.

Why would that not apply any more? Not sure what Noah has to do with this. And Jesus made it perfectly clear that the single state was not for everyone. All the apostles were married and served the Lord without any hindrance.

God created men and women to complement and complete each other. And people generally mature when they have a spouse, children, and a marriage, and cannot remain self-centered and selfish.

Because in Noah's day there wasn't 7 billion people in the world. Right, either stay single or get married and join the 50% divorce club.

Reactions: Nancy

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder how many of Paul's writings were just by permission? We know of one.

1 Corinthians 7:5-6 KJVS
Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency. [6] But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.

We should each do as we are led by the sprit.

A statement. God gives us the desires of our heart. Yes a Scripture that means also that desires He has planted winin our heart are timed release and sprout into fruition at different times in our life. Including desire to have a husband or wife and a family.

Each of us has a different calling. Some to marry some to abide alone. After 52 years with the same faithful wife I'm content. Let each one do as the Holy Spirit bids.

Reactions: FHII

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Right, either stay single or get married and join the 50% divorce club.
Both are cop outs.

For Christians (genuine Christians) marriage is 100% "until death do us part". Even the Catholic Church understands this. They call it "the sacrament of marriage".

Those who remain single when they could be happily married are essentially afraid of commitments.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Both are cop outs.

For Christians (genuine Christians) marriage is 100% "until death do us part". Even the Catholic Church understands this. They call it "the sacrament of marriage".

Those who remain single when they could be happily married are essentially afraid of commitments.

7 billion people in the world and 50% divorce rate are facts, not cop outs.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with those that point out that this was Paul's opinion; not a commandment from God. Paul is unique in this as he often let it be known he was giving his personal opnion.

Two things here... 1st: it strengthens everything else he said. 2nd: Paul was a man of God and he spoke with permission from God. So, while God didn't tell Paul to say that, he didn't mind that he did. I tend to want to believe Paul as a sent one, even if its not a commandment from the Lord and the Lord said, "ok... Fine."

Verse 28 says if you do... You haven't sinned. But there will be trouble in your flesh life. And he's right. Not that I have been divorced from a legal wife... But I have had live in girl friends whom I broke up with.

7:27 is not a commandment, but good advice.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree with those that point out that this was Paul's opinion
What appears to be *Paul's opinion* is deemed to be Scripture by Peter, who also wrote under the inspiration and authority of the Holy Spirit.

If Christians start sorting out Scriptures on the basis of opinions versus inspiration, there would be no end to confusion and playing with Scripture. So in fact the apostle's so-called opinion is actually God's opinion.

We have the Feminists and so-called Evangelical Feminists telling us that Paul was a misogyinist, and that we should ignore all his teachings about the role of women in the home and in the local assembly. That is pure hogwash.

God's *opinion* on marriage is that it is THE NORM for human beings. Celibacy (enforced) is a doctrine of demons. And the single state is applicable to very few. Even younger Christian widows are commanded to marry, have children, have an household, and be sanctified through child-bearing and child rearing.

Furthermore, Christian marriage -- according to Scripture -- is a type of the Marriage of Christ and His Church. Adam was a type of Christ and Eve was a type of the Church, and God personally joined them together in holy matrimony.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What appears to be *Paul's opinion* is deemed to be Scripture by Peter, who also wrote under the inspiration and authority of the Holy Spirit.

If Christians start sorting out Scriptures on the basis of opinions versus inspiration, there would be no end to confusion and playing with Scripture. So in fact the apostle's so-called opinion is actually God's op
We are actually on the same page with this issue, Enoch. Paul spoke by permission. So when he says its not a commandment, thats by inspiration also. Thus, you have to recognize when Paul is giving a personal opinion, its endorsed by God... As a peraonal opinion and not a commandment. 1 Cor 7:6 is a perfect example.

In short, when Paul gives a personal opinion, yea... Its scriptural. But its also scriptural that its a personal opinion.

And in this case he said don't marry, but if you do, you haven't sinned.

The "don't marry" part is his opinion. The "you haven't sinned " is a decree from God.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ἀνάγκη, ης, ἡ
Definition: necessity, constraint, compulsion; there is need to; force, violence.

Hey 13:8, ἀνάγκην was occasionally used of distress (Luke 21:23), and that's how the NASB translates it. They were already in times of persecution, and Paul believed they were in the time when the Antichrist would soon emerge, and persecution would rage against believers even more. That is why he ends with an encouragement that those who were married be as though not married, for "the form of this world is passing away." (1 Corinthians 7:27-31)

So an argument can be made that since we are not now in the time when we believe the world is passing away, maybe the restrictions here are not as relevant. But I will say this: His main point was that our lives were supposed to be given over completely to the service of God, and I know a lot of Christians who have married very badly and ended up hindering themselves greatly from serving God. This is what Paul was trying to prevent, and it is still relevant today. Even if we live out our entire lives, what good is it if we squandered it on a bad marriage?

A great marriage, however, where you find the one God intended for you to marry, THAT is another story entirely. Then all the things He has called you to do you will do all that much better because you enter into His perfect will for your life, and into partnership with another wonderful servant of God who truly loves you and is there to help you every step of the way.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Celibacy (enforced) is a doctrine of demons.

No, it's a choice through free will to serve the Lord more freely. I would think singledom is a blessing if that's your calling.

1 Cor 7:32 I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs--how he can please the Lord.

1 Cor 7:28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this.