1 Corinthians 2 is so abused

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, say you are right about all of this. Where, in scripture does it tell us when the Holy Spirit was taken from men? I have always believed that when The Holy Spirit is taken out of this world, with Christians, this world will become a dark place indeed as, we are the light on the hill, if we have the Spirit of God living within us. Are we not His temple?
When was the HS given to men? Was he there in the first 1600 years of existence? If so, what did he do because that whole world was destroyed. Was he given to the nation of Israel? I would say yes. But how was he given? Through the prophets, from Moses onward. The HS did not work on every Israelite individually. He worked through the prophets. They wouldn’t listen to them and were a wicked people. King Josiah restored the law after he found the book, not because the Spirt worked on him personally.

I see the HS given to a mass of individuals for the first time beginning at Pentecost and going on from there. Joel prophesied that it would happen in Joel 2. Jesus foretold it would happen in John 7. The HS was given throughout the first century church. Why was he given? To spread and confirm the word, to guide the church. They didn’t have the written word so the Spirit was given until “that which is perfect would come”. Read 1 Cor 14 and you’ll see how an early church, Spirit filled worship service was conducted. It doesn’t happen like that today because we have all the information recorded for us.

The Spirit is still with us today through the book that he authored. I don’t know why people have such a hard time believing that a book has power. God from the beginning instructed people to write things down. Jesus responded to people with “it is written”, “have you not read”. He overcame the devil with knowledge of the word. IT IS WRITTEN.

Now people think we are going to withstand the devil with some direct guidance of the Spirit? Jesus didn’t do it that way but we think we will. If more people studied and knew the truth of the book there would be less sin in the world.

Reactions: Helen

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New tongue? That’s made up. I can guarantee any gibber jabber you expel is definitely a “new tongue”.
Mark 16:17 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues". that's why you cannot understand 1 Corinthians 2, no Holy Ghost to teach you. :eek:
You can’t take things out of context and build a doctrine. The promise spoken of in acts 2:39 is not the same as acts 1:4.
no need to just state the scriptures. :cool:

PICJAG.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:17 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues". that's why you cannot understand 1 Corinthians 2, no Holy Ghost to teach you. :eek:

no need to just state the scriptures. :cool:

PICJAG.
Tongues ended in the first century. 1 Cor 13

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not quite sure what this all means. We all know God is love. But the Bible also says that God is a consuming fire. Do we not want to consider that side of God as well? Or is it just always love.

Yes. God is love. He created the water to destroy. Where did Paul tell them to put the man so His flesh might be destroyed and He might inherit life?

Two questions I really want to ask:

2 Corinthians 11:13-15
[13] For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. [14] And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. [15] Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Not asking about the foundation which is the prophets and apostles with Christ as the chief corner stone. I want to ask you about the ministers? Do you believe there are still ministers? If so is this not a gift of the Spirit to the body? And what makes a minister who reads His word and is transformed into His kingdom different from one who study’s and is transformed in ministers of righteousness...yet their end is according to their works? What makes their works different from other ministers?

The other question is how do you study and understand what God has said in the Word and apply it? What makes you different from another reading and studying and applying it in the wrong way? Is it intellectually discerned? Because even this contradicts God saying He would teach fools and confound the wise.

Reactions: Nancy

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ERROR, did you not read, or what is it you don't understand?

Mark 16:17 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; (STOP, did people stop believing in the first century?... no), In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues". a new tongue is not an "unknown" tongue, or an "other" tongue. but a new tongue don't need a foreign Language translator or interpreter, but one as you, (not putting you down) will need the Holy Ghost to give you understanding. for the scriptures states, James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all [men] liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
James 1:6 "But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
James 1:7 "For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
James 1:8 "A double minded man [is] unstable in all his ways.

this is why the bible is so confusing to you. no "WISDOM", no Holy Ghost. do as James say, "ASK" for you have not because you ask not.

see the bible, the KJV of it is a spiritual book. the Holy Ghost teach Spiritual things. 1 Corinthians 2:13 "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1 Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
1 Corinthians 2:15 "But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
1 Corinthians 2:16 "For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ".

when you have the mind of Christ you have a new tongue, because now the tongue will speak what's Christ. for it is not us who speak but the Holy Ghost in us.... :cool:

PICJAG.

Reactions: Waiting on him

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A new tongue doesn’t belong in the mouth of a new man created in Christ? Zephaniah 3:9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord , to serve him with one consent.

James 1:27
[27] Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Who are the fatherless and widows? Will you tell who they are?

One mind. One body in agreement with the Head which is Christ.
Isaiah 58:12-14 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in. [13] If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord , honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: [14] Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord ; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it .

“...and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: [14] Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord...” only the Spirit of God can bring this about in man subjected to vanity and the bondage of corruption. Only He can lead us in ways of peace man has never known. Do not understand how you say one can read and apply themselves. There has to be power given of God to do the impossible.

Does a new creature have a new tongue?

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You believe in the direct operation of the Spirit a part from the word. This is what I have been saying all along but you just wanted to be difficult I guess.

I have not said your goofy phrased words that have no basis in Scripture.

You speaking your goofy phrased words and then repeating over and over that is my belief is utter nonsense.

You create a weak argument then try to put your words in my mouth and not keen enough to know your scheme has already been called out.

Glory to God,
Taken

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of Paul’s writings were to Christians.
What isn’t so simple and needs explanation is HOW is the HS in you? You, like the majority of these people on here want to say that the HS personally lives in us which would be a miraculous event. I never said the HS no longer works through Christ’s church. I have said he doesn’t work through direct operation of the gifts of 1 Cor 12 like it was in the early church. Yes, the HS does not work in the church that way today.

That's simply a doctrine of the enemy you've picked up from certain groups of today's mainstream Church organizations. The Christian Church I was raised in had that doctrine of man also. Whoever began it obviously had a problem seeing certain other Church denominations (that I won't mention) having some wild happenings in them claimed to be of The Holy Spirit which seemed demonic, so the extreme path was how they went, cutting off The Holy Spirit working altogether for the Church. The problem is, and has been all along, that there are false workings in BOTH types of denominations, so let God's Holy Writ be the measure, and not signs, nor men's doctrines.

The Holy Spirit today is still... working those gifts Apostle Paul categorized in 1 Corinthians 12. One of the problems today is how some Church denominations wrongly interpret what those gifts are. For example, the gift of prophecy Paul spoke of has nothing to do with speaking in tongues, but has everything to do with teaching a prophecy from God's Word that might be coming to pass, or getting ready to come to pass, or something written that had not been clearly understood. In 1 Cor.14, Paul makes it clear that to 'prophesy' is to teach unto edification.

There are many brethren in Christ on Christian forums, and pretty much all of them can witness of their lack of Bible understanding at one point in their lives before they believed on Jesus, and then their coming to understanding in His Word thereafter. That does not happen solely through mere reading and study, it can only come by The Holy Spirit. Even as Paul said that no man can believe that Jesus is Lord except by The Holy Spirit (1 Cor.12).

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What isn’t so simple and needs explanation is HOW is the HS in you? You, like the majority of these people on here want to say that the HS personally lives in us which would be a miraculous event. I never said the HS no longer works through Christ’s church. I have said he doesn’t work through direct operation of the gifts of 1 Cor 12 like it was in the early church. Yes, the HS does not work in the church that way today. He doesn’t have to. He works and lives in the Christian representatively through his word.
Do you know how many people claim to have the personal indwelling of the Spirit but they are in a church, like the Methodist, that the HS never even one time mentioned. The Methodist church is no where in the word the HS gave us and these people think the HS guided them into that church. It is ridiculous. The HS never one time mentioned a denomination, actually the HS condemns the act of denominating. Read 1 Cor 1:1-15.
The HS never told anybody to say a sinners prayer for salvation but preacher after preacher who tell you they have the indwelling of the HS, instruct you to do that to be born again. To be saved. It is all ridiculous.
No you don’t have the HS personally living in you. I am standing up for the Word the HS gave us and you say I am wrong. The HS would never tell you to do that. Your “pastor” would though.

Romans 8:9
"You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ."

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You said
The promise to send the comforter or helper was made only to the apostles. That promise was fulfilled.
I gave you this scripture from Acts 10 ~
44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. 45 And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. 46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, 47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.

So what is your point?
Now you are trying to suggest that because it was not done when or similar to the Apostles who were baptised in the days of Pentecost, it is not the same...but it actually is, the same Spirit. Note what Paul says in Ephesians 1 11:12.
11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.
He was talking about the Apostles being the first to hope in Christ. [first fruit]
Verse 13 states ~ "13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory."

Those who hear the word preached and believe in Christ were also baptised in the Holy Spirit. Romans 10:8-13

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What isn’t so simple and needs explanation is HOW is the HS in you? You, like the majority of these people on here want to say that the HS personally lives in us which would be a miraculous event. I never said the HS no longer works through Christ’s church. I have said he doesn’t work through direct operation of the gifts of 1 Cor 12 like it was in the early church. Yes, the HS does not work in the church that way today. He doesn’t have to. He works and lives in the Christian representatively through his word.
Do you know how many people claim to have the personal indwelling of the Spirit but they are in a church, like the Methodist, that the HS never even one time mentioned. The Methodist church is no where in the word the HS gave us and these people think the HS guided them into that church. It is ridiculous. The HS never one time mentioned a denomination, actually the HS condemns the act of denominating. Read 1 Cor 1:1-15.
The HS never told anybody to say a sinners prayer for salvation but preacher after preacher who tell you they have the indwelling of the HS, instruct you to do that to be born again. To be saved. It is all ridiculous.
No you don’t have the HS personally living in you. I am standing up for the Word the HS gave us and you say I am wrong. The HS would never tell you to do that. Your “pastor” would though.
The words of the Holy Spirit, through Paul condemns YOUR words!

KJV-Rom. 8:[9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ [the Holy Spirit] he is none of his.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you talking about this promise?
Acts 1:4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
Well, they waited in Jerusalem as instructed and the HS fell on them creating this miraculous event. What else are you trying to say?
I am saying,
What you don't know of, that was written for all future generations, but you are now attempting to deny out your ignorance.
Acts 3[38] Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2
[39] For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. God is love. He created the water to destroy. Where did Paul tell them to put the man so His flesh might be destroyed and He might inherit life?

1 Cor 5:5. They were to deliver such a one to Satan. That passage is usually used improperly.

Two questions I really want to ask:

2 Corinthians 11:13-15

[13] For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. [14] And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. [15] Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Not asking about the foundation which is the prophets and apostles with Christ as the chief corner stone. I want to ask you about the ministers? Do you believe there are still ministers? If so is this not a gift of the Spirit to the body? And what makes a minister who reads His word and is transformed into His kingdom different from one who study’s and is transformed in ministers of righteousness...yet their end is according to their works? What makes their works different from other ministers?

Yes I believe there are ministers today. The word used in vs15 means a servant and is the same word for deacon who is a servant within the church. A minister for God is one who caries his message. So, yes there are ministers today. Ministers in the first century could have had miraculous gifts but servants today do not. Their message comes or should come from Gods word.

The whole idea about the passage above is that we need to be careful. Just because something appears righteous doesn’t mean it is because Satan works through these “ministers of righteousness”. He is always trying to deceive and knows how to do it by using the word of God.

Examples
- Adam and Eve. The serpent used Gods words but added one three letter word that changed the whole meaning and Eve was led astray. - - - When tempting Jesus the devil quoted scripture perfectly but misused the passage. Jesus recognized it and was not fooled.
In Mt 22 when the Sadducees came to trip Jesus up, he responded with....
Matthew 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
Just because people use the Bible doesn’t mean they are speaking the truth.

The other question is how do you study and understand what God has said in the Word and apply it? What makes you different from another reading and studying and applying it in the wrong way? Is it intellectually discerned? Because even this contradicts God saying He would teach fools and confound the wise.
The Bible is its own best commentary. There is no substitute for study. When you get help, be careful how and from whom you get help. That is the problem today. Too many people are led astray because they take their “pastors” word for it and NEVER question what they say. Be a Berean. When someone tells you to accept Christ and say some prayer for salvation.....you should always ask....where is that in the NT? A hint. It isn’t in there.
God tells us to study (be diligent) to show yourself approved. 2 Tim 2:15.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ERROR, did you not read, or what is it you don't understand?

Mark 16:17 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; (STOP, did people stop believing in the first century?... no), In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues". a new tongue is not an "unknown" tongue, or an "other" tongue. but a new tongue don't need a foreign Language translator or interpreter, but one as you, (not putting you down) will need the Holy Ghost to give you understanding. for the scriptures states, James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all [men] liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
James 1:6 "But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
James 1:7 "For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
James 1:8 "A double minded man [is] unstable in all his ways.

this is why the bible is so confusing to you. no "WISDOM", no Holy Ghost. do as James say, "ASK" for you have not because you ask not.
The tongue in Mk 16 spoken of is the same thing you find throughout the NT. It started with apostles in acts 2 and continued on. We see it spoken of more in 1 Cor 14. The word “unknown” is actually not in the Bible. That was added by translators.
Mk 16:17 was for a limited duration. If you read vs 20 it will tell you why they were given those gifts...
And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.
We can confirm the word today through the NT given us by the Spirit. This is how I know your wrong because what you are teaching does not line up with what Spirt says in his word

see the bible, the KJV of it is a spiritual book. the Holy Ghost teach Spiritual things. 1 Corinthians 2:13 "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1 Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
1 Corinthians 2:15 "But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
1 Corinthians 2:16 "For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ".

when you have the mind of Christ you have a new tongue, because now the tongue will speak what's Christ. for it is not us who speak but the Holy Ghost in us.... :cool:

PICJAG.
ok. If you are abiding by 1 pet 4:11 then fine..

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A new tongue doesn’t belong in the mouth of a new man created in Christ? Zephaniah 3:9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord , to serve him with one consent.

James 1:27
[27] Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Who are the fatherless and widows? Will you tell who they are?
Fatherless are orphans and the widows are self explanatory.

One mind. One body in agreement with the Head which is Christ.
Isaiah 58:12-14 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in. [13] If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord , honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: [14] Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord ; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it .

“...and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: [14] Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord...” only the Spirit of God can bring this about in man subjected to vanity and the bondage of corruption. Only He can lead us in ways of peace man has never known. Do not understand how you say one can read and apply themselves. There has to be power given of God to do the impossible.

Does a new creature have a new tongue?
no we don’t speak in tongues today. 1 Pet 4:11 says..
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God
You don’t have miraculous gifts so the ONLY way you can do this is with book, chapter, and verse. The HS DOES NOT give you direct information. I know this is true because all of you say different things. There is no consistency. God is not the author of confusion. 1 Cor 14:33

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have not said your goofy phrased words that have no basis in Scripture.

You speaking your goofy phrased words and then repeating over and over that is my belief is utter nonsense.

You create a weak argument then try to put your words in my mouth and not keen enough to know your scheme has already been called out.

Glory to God,
Taken
Did you or did you not say the following in post 55?
“No I do not Believe READING Scriptures, is that which GIVES man Gods Understanding.
I believe thee Lord God Himself Gives CERTAIN men His Understanding OF HIS own Word.”
- what you just said is that you DO NOT get understanding from reading scripture it comes DIRECTLY from God. This is what direct operation apart from the word means. You get your understanding directly from God. We all know you don’t. You can claim all you want but can’t prove anything. Those in the first century that had this ability could prove it. I’ve been right all along and this makes you guys mad.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit today is still... working those gifts Apostle Paul categorized in 1 Corinthians 12. One of the problems today is how some Church denominations wrongly interpret what those gifts are. For example, the gift of prophecy Paul spoke of has nothing to do with speaking in tongues, but has everything to do with teaching a prophecy from God's Word that might be coming to pass, or getting ready to come to pass, or something written that had not been clearly understood. In 1 Cor.14, Paul makes it clear that to 'prophesy' is to teach unto edification.
in 1 Cor 12 tongues and prophecy were listed as separate gifts. These were all given miraculously through direct operation. Tongues, prophecy, were mentioned right along with healing and miracles. You can’t do any of that today.

There are many brethren in Christ on Christian forums, and pretty much all of them can witness of their lack of Bible understanding at one point in their lives before they believed on Jesus, and then their coming to understanding in His Word thereafter. That does not happen solely through mere reading and study, it can only come by The Holy Spirit. Even as Paul said that no man can believe that Jesus is Lord except by The Holy Spirit (1 Cor.12).
yes it all comes from the HS but how? The only way you know anything about Christ or the HS is through the book. Nobody can do anything according to the teachings of Christ without the book. NOBODY. People in the first century had the direct operation of the Spirit because the message was new and it was needed. This is how they received revelation. We have all the revelation in a book.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8:9
"You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ."
How do you know if someone has the Spirit of Christ. It is only through what they say and do. If these things match up with the words of Christ then you can know. I’ll prove it. Give me an example of what some big preacher teaches and I will tell you whether or not they have the Spirit.