A Galilean Wedding & the Second Coming ...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Galilean Marriage 2000 years ago … What does is represent?

Jesus and His disciples were from Galilee. Their customs concerning marriage were quite unique. His parables and literal teachings about His Second Coming and marriage were designed to imitate an event that they were all familiar with, A MARRIAGE BETWEEN A GROOM AND HIS BRIDE , which involved a year-long sequence of events.

The Bride; the Parable of the Ten Virgins, some being prepared and some not; the Groom coming “at an hour you do not expect”, “as a thief in the night”; that “only the Father knows the day and the hour”; that it will happen at night; “the trumpet will sound an alarm” and the bride is lifted up and carried away to the Father’s house, all were shadows and symbolic of Jesus Second Coming for the Church.

The Galilean Marriage begins with the Groom leaving his father’s home going to the home of the Bride. His father officiates the betrothal with the terms and dowry (price and down payment). Terms of the marriage were read publically and agreed upon. Gifts are given to the bride. A “cup of joy’ (wine) is shared and given to the Bride, who has a choice to accept it or reject it. She says yes, The wine is drunk and the covenant is irrevocable.

1 year betrothal agreement, a cup of wine shared and the groom promises not to drink of the wine until the marriage is consummated.

During this time, Bride and bridesmaids choose clothing and make dresses. This usually took months.

The Groom builds or buys and prepares a new home for the bride and feast.

Close to the time, within a week of the estimated year timeframe, but without a specific date, the bride and bridesmaids would wait in their clothes day and night for the Shofar to sound. Neither the groom nor the bride would know the exact date, only the father.

In the middle of the night, the father would decide and notify the son to go get his bride!

The Groom
would sound the Shofar, walk through the streets towards his bride’s home and all the guests that were waiting for that day, ready to go, join them in the procession and/or meet at the Father’s house. Everyone needed to be ready, dressed and have enough oil for their lamps.

The Bride would hear the Shofar from a distance and go out and meet the groom and the bridesmaids nearby as well. The Bride would be placed in a seat, two men would lift her up in the air and carry her off to the wedding chamber in the Father’s house. *It was a chair on a stretcher like platform with two poles, one on each side.

The procession would enter into the Father’s house and the door was shut – no late comers allowed! The wedding and reception could last up to seven days.

Symbolism:

The groom leaves his father’s house and goes to where the bride is = Jesus comes from heaven to earth and becomes flesh and dwells among us.

Father = Father God

Betrothal period = Jesus First Coming, His New Covenant given, the Gospel goes out to the world

Cup of wine given to the Bride, a choice given = Cup at Last Supper representing New Covenant, the gospel is given to all and we have the choice to accept it or reject it

Once the Bride drinks the cup, the covenant is irrevocable = Once we have received Christ as our Lord and Savior, we believe and follow Him, our covenant with God is irrevocable, OSAS.

The Groom now states to the betrothed Bride, “You are now consecrated to me by the law of Moses and I will not drink this cup again with you until we drink it together in my father’s house” = Jesus likewise made the same claim during the Last Supper (Luke 22:18)

Dowry, down payment = Death (His payment) and resurrection of Christ , the belief in this grants us the Promise of Eternal Life

Groom’s preparation for the Bride’s home = “In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places, if it were not so, I would have told you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.” John 14:2-3

The Groom does not know the day or hour of the wedding! = “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.” Matthew 24:36

Bride and bridesmaids needed to have lamps and oil = The Ten Virgins , but only half were prepared = represents the Bride/Church, prepared, they have their oil (Holy spirit) for their lamps. The others (Jews at that time or later, as unbelieving Gentiles did not have the Holy Spirit and so were not allowed into the kingdom of heaven.

The Father tells the son, “go get your Bride”, the Groom blows the trumpet to announce his coming, receives his bride , she is lifted up and carried off to the wedding chamber = “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord”. 1 Thes. 4 :16-17
The Bride is lifted up in the air and carried off to the Father's house = Rapture

The Bride enters the wedding chamber and sees guests waiting = these are Old Testament saints in Heaven

Wedding Feast = Marriage Supper (Rev.19:7-9)

“Looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, Who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.” Titut 2:13-14
What you have here is not real accurate and out of context.
But it is reasonably accurate in relation to the Jewish marriage process. But it had nothing to do with wedding ceremonies.
The word Wedding does not appear in the Old Testament....there is a reason for that.....the Hebrew language had no word for wedding.
The Jews had no interest in Wedding ceremonies during the Old Testament....there is a reason for that.....because wedding ceremonies were strictly Pagan customs.

After the Old Testament.....during their time under Persian rule the Jews developed their own wedding ceremonies.....Probably because they liked the Persian wedding ceremonies. Like Jewish weddings of today, their ceremonies had an Old Testament connection. It is these ceremonies that Christ is referring to in the New Testament, but you will not find their descriptions in the Old Testament, or the word wed or wedding in the Old Testament.

Still, no where in the Old or New Testament is there a requirement for a wedding ceremony to be married. The first Christian requirement for a wedding ceremony to be married was instituted by the Protestants in the mid 1500's, up to that point even the Catholics did not require a wedding ceremony.

Now I am not saying that early Christians did not perform wedding ceremonies, but when Paul and the other Apostles are discussing marriages they are not referencing wedding ceremonies. Still definitely not stated as a requirement. But why didn't Paul and the other Apostles discuss them....It appears that the Jewish wedding ceremonies became unpopular during the New Testament period.....not becoming popular again until more modern times. Still the question is why? After Alexander the Great conquered Persia the Greeks and Romans suppressed the Jewish religion and crucified them by the tens of thousands. The Jews may have rejected anything that was a Pagan custom....or connected to it in any way.

But long after the biblical period when the Gentiles took over the helm of the "church" weddings were probably common because weddings were part of their culture before they converted to Christianity. This is why modern Christian weddings and receptions still have Pagan rituals imbedded in them. Still the first documented Christian wedding does not appear until the 9th century.

When you are discussing the Bible and history it is important to keep the terminologies accurate because if not, it causes confusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zechariah 13:8-9
And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends. Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the LORD of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.

And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein.
And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

This is only His first coming when He is smitten on the cross.

Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:

That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.

As you point out, He's not coming again for unbelieving Jesus but for believing saints. Everyone else in the world will have a chance to be saved by faith in His grace after Armageddon. The only reason His Spirit of grace is first poured out upon that land and Jerusalem, is because He's coming back for that land and Jerusalem. And so it will be a kind of Jews first again, but will include anyone left alive in that land and Jerusalem.

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God the Father isn't getting re-married. His Son is being married and not to the old Israel but a new one who has faith in him.
True. We just need to be faithful unto the end so that our marriage is sealed with immortal bodies of the Head.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends. Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the LORD of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.

And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein.
And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

This is only His first coming when He is smitten on the cross.

Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:

That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.

As you point out, He's not coming again for unbelieving Jesus but for believing saints. Everyone else in the world will have a chance to be saved by faith in His grace after Armageddon. The only reason His Spirit of grace is first poured out upon that land and Jerusalem, is because He's coming back for that land and Jerusalem. And so it will be a kind of Jews first again, but will include anyone left alive in that land and Jerusalem.
You said: "Everyone else in the world will have a chance to be saved by faith in His grace after Armageddon."

Can you please provide the Scripture for this.

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said: "Everyone else in the world will have a chance to be saved by faith in His grace after Armageddon."

Can you please provide the Scripture for this.
Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.

But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. Therefore they shall come and sing in the height of Zion, and shall flow together to the goodness of the LORD, for wheat, and for wine, and for oil, and for the young of the flock and of the herd: and their soul shall be as a watered garden; and they shall not sorrow any more at all.

Both Isaiah and Micah prophecy the second one. There will be plenty of people getting saved by the Lord personally on earth. He's first coming to receive His already saved people, and then He will save plenty more. He's not coming again to just to kill off all the idiots that want to make war with Him. Everytime the Lord comes to earth both the first and the second, is to save peoples' live, not just destroy them.

For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.

He will be in newly resurrected body, but have the same heart for souls of men and women.

• Love
Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.

But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. Therefore they shall come and sing in the height of Zion, and shall flow together to the goodness of the LORD, for wheat, and for wine, and for oil, and for the young of the flock and of the herd: and their soul shall be as a watered garden; and they shall not sorrow any more at all.

Both Isaiah and Micah prophecy the second one. There will be plenty of people getting saved by the Lord personally on earth. He's first coming to receive His already saved people, and then He will save plenty more. He's not coming again to just to kill off all the idiots that want to make war with Him. Everytime the Lord comes to earth both the first and the second, is to save peoples' live, not just destroy them.

For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.

He will be in newly resurrected body, but have the same heart for souls of men and women.
Beautiful Post - Thank You

i just wanted to make sure you weren't referring to this group = Matt 25:6-13

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is only His first coming when He is smitten on the cross
The First Coming was peaceful , He came as the sufferring servant. His Secind Coming will be for not only r we ceiving His Bride but to judge the world. His will kill billions of unbelievers. If one takes the mark of the Beast, they qill be toast.
In the whole land,” declares the Lord,
“two-thirds will be struck down and perish;"
Two billion die from, pestilence, wars, famine with the ipening of the four seals one. Then and third of the remaining die during the trumpets. That's four billion and there will be more. Currently there are 2.65 billion professing Christians, that equals 1/3 of the current population. We get raptured, that leaves over 1.35 billion, many of whom may die but of these, many may hae been on the fence, undecisive, but now believe. Who knows, maybe the totals may be about 4 billion saved - best case scenario. ???

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our spirit/soul is FIRST Resurrected from Death(John 3:5-8) - BEFORE the Transformation into NEW Glorified Bodies.
Born again, we are new creatures in Christ butbhave not experienced the resurrection. Jesus dead body was resurrected into an eternal body. No one has receives a resurrected body yet. We are saved, sanctified, notbuet florified as Jesus. That is the resurrection. What we have been given is a new clean spirit. Jesus had a clean spirit before he died. His spirit was not changed. His physical body transformed into an eternal body and we will have a body like His, a multidimensional body, able to appear disappear, ascend and descend from heaven, travel long distances instantly.
>> Do you think when Jesus told Mary to tell the diisciples to meet Him in Galilee, 70 miles away, He walked there? No, like angel, He came out of heaven and materialized there in a moment.
We know that when Christ appears, we will be like Him
Bingo

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born again, we are new creatures in Christ butbhave not experienced the resurrection. Jesus dead body was resurrected into an eternal body. No one has receives a resurrected body yet. We are saved, sanctified, notbuet florified as Jesus. That is the resurrection. What we have been given is a new clean spirit. Jesus had a clean spirit before he died. His spirit was not changed. His physical body transformed into an eternal body and we will have a body like His, a multidimensional body, able to appear disappear, ascend and descend from heaven, travel long distances instantly.
>> Do you think when Jesus told Mary to tell the diisciples to meet Him in Galilee, 70 miles away, He walked there? No, like angel, He came out of heaven and materialized there in a moment.

Bingo
YES my Brother - YES = ABSOLUTELY AGREE

OK - this is condensed = Keep in mind this is short version.

There are TWO Stages to our Resurrection in Christ = Just as Christ has TWO Comings.

Stage One = His First Coming = He bares our sins so that we can be Born- Again
a.) Fulfill the Law
b.) then Nail it to the Cross with His Body as the Perfect Spotless Passover Lamb = HE is our Passover
c.) His Resurrection = satan & Death fully defeated
d.) Ascends back to the Father = our High Priest
e.) Pentecost = Baptism of the Holy Spirit = the Resurrection of our Spirit/Soul and the Infilling of God via Holy Spirit
f.) We are Spiritually Seated in Christ = We are now made Kings & Priests = Now / Today in the Spirit = Rev ch1

Stage Two = His Second Coming with the Saints
a.) 1 Thess & 2 Thess = He Delivers us from the Wrath thru His Resurrection/Transformation into Glorified Bodies 1 Cor ch15 , 1John 3:1-3
b.) Rapture = Saints who are alive at His Coming are Raptured AFTER the Resurrection of the dead in Christ 1 Thess 4:13-18
c.) HE takes us to the Marriage Supper which is to Jerusalem to destroy the Antichrist and his armies/nations = Rev ch19 Zech ch14

This is just a brief look

Last edited:

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just do a search on Galilean wedding and you will see many sources and articles. I Have examined several. There was even a movie made about it: "Before the Wrath".
It was enlightening when I came upon it. Where do you think those ideas about the Church is the Bride of Christ, Marriage Supper, and other concepts come from?
The ten virgin are not the Church - who claimed that? There are billions, but in this parable _ a smal slice/example is given of who will be going to meet Jesus when He comes ---- only half of the virgins are representative of Christians, they have the Holy Spirit.
A lot of folks think that the oil represents the HS but it can't because a person can't go and "buy" more of the HS. The marriage feast is real but the bible never calls the church the bride of Christ, I think this is an identity crisis of the church that stops us from being "one" w/ Christ "now" w/o a wedding. A wedding would not improve our present relationship w/ God at all. That idea comes from Paul using the concept of marriage in 2 metaphors to describe the unity we should have w/ Christ and each other and to portray the concept of fidelity to "one" God instead of dozens as was common in a lot of Grecian cities especially seacoast ones or ones on a international trade route. The only marriage supper prophesied takes place on earth, not in heaven.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of folks think that the oil represents the HS but it can't because a person can't go and "buy" more of the HS. The marriage feast is real but the bible never calls the church the bride of Christ, I think this is an identity crisis of the church that stops us from being "one" w/ Christ "now" w/o a wedding. A wedding would not improve our present relationship w/ God at all. That idea comes from Paul using the concept of marriage in 2 metaphors to describe the unity we should have w/ Christ and each other and to portray the concept of fidelity to "one" God instead of dozens as was common in a lot of Grecian cities especially seacoast ones or ones on a international trade route. The only marriage supper prophesied takes place on earth, not in heaven.
Good Morning,

In the OT the symbol of the Holy Spirit was the sacred anointing oil.

Moreover the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: 23“Also take for yourself quality spices—five hundred shekels of liquid myrrh, half as much sweet-smelling cinnamon (two hundred and fifty shekels), two hundred and fifty shekels of sweet-smelling cane, 24five hundred shekels of cassia, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and a hin of olive oil. 25And you shall make from these a holy anointing oil, an ointment compounded according to the art of the perfumer. It shall be a holy anointing oil. 26With it you shall anoint the tabernacle of meeting and the ark of the Testimony; 27the table and all its utensils, the lampstand and its utensils, and the altar of incense; 28the altar of burnt offering with all its utensils, and the laver and its base. 29You shall consecrate them, that they may be most holy; whatever touches them must be holy. 30And you shall anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister to Me as priests.

31“And you shall speak to the children of Israel, saying: ‘This shall be a holy anointing oil to Me throughout your generations.
32It shall not be poured on man’s flesh; nor shall you make any other like it, according to its composition.
It is holy, and it shall be holy to you.
33Whoever compounds any like it, or whoever puts any of it on an outsider, shall be cut off from his people.’ ”
Exodus 30:22-33

The Holy Spirit is this Sacred Anointing upon those of us who have been Baptized in the Holy Spirit = Gospel of John & Acts

And being assembled together with them, Jesus commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem,
but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said,you have heard from Me;
5for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
Acts 1:4-5

Last edited:

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What ever happened to the Matt 25:8-12 group?
That Christian group is either saved and resurrected into the air with the Lord, or is unsaved and left for the Lord's plagues with the unbelievers.

Those coming to the Lord in Zion and being saved to walk in His paths, are those surviving on earth to begin His reign, and their children and children's' children. It will be the promised reign of the Lord on earth with the children of Israel and other nations without the warfare and fear of hostilities. Nor will there be separation of nations from the Lord's rule and religion and promise of deliverance from unrighteousness. Unless they fail to keep His yearly feast, and they are cut off from His blessings over the earth.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That Christian group is either saved and resurrected into the air with the Lord, or is unsaved and left for the Lord's plagues with the unbelievers.

Those coming to the Lord in Zion and being saved to walk in His paths, are those surviving on earth to begin His reign, and their children and children's' children. It will be the promised reign of the Lord on earth with the children of Israel and other nations without the warfare and fear of hostilities. Nor will there be separation of nations from the Lord's rule and religion and promise of deliverance from unrighteousness. Unless they fail to keep His yearly feast, and they are cut off from His blessings over the earth.
Very Good.

Some people are teaching/preaching(falsely) that the second group(Matt 25:8-12) are saints that get left behind to suffer the GT and are later saved.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good Morning,

In the OT the symbol of the Holy Spirit was the sacred anointing oil.

Moreover the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: 23“Also take for yourself quality spices—five hundred shekels of liquid myrrh, half as much sweet-smelling cinnamon (two hundred and fifty shekels), two hundred and fifty shekels of sweet-smelling cane, 24five hundred shekels of cassia, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and a hin of olive oil. 25And you shall make from these a holy anointing oil, an ointment compounded according to the art of the perfumer. It shall be a holy anointing oil. 26With it you shall anoint the tabernacle of meeting and the ark of the Testimony; 27the table and all its utensils, the lampstand and its utensils, and the altar of incense; 28the altar of burnt offering with all its utensils, and the laver and its base. 29You shall consecrate them, that they may be most holy; whatever touches them must be holy. 30And you shall anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister to Me as priests.

31“And you shall speak to the children of Israel, saying: ‘This shall be a holy anointing oil to Me throughout your generations.
32It shall not be poured on man’s flesh; nor shall you make any other like it, according to its composition.
It is holy, and it shall be holy to you.
33Whoever compounds any like it, or whoever puts any of it on an outsider, shall be cut off from his people.’ ”
Exodus 30:22-33

The Holy Spirit is this Sacred Anointing upon those of us who have been Baptized in the Holy Spirit = Gospel of John & Acts

And being assembled together with them, Jesus commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem,
but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said,you have heard from Me;
5for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
Acts 1:4-5
Heavy sigh, you're right but not every time the word "oil" is used does it mean the Holy Spirit, nor does it mean that in the examples you gave. Olive oil was the type of oil they used in their lamps that were oil based and olive oil was the kind of oil used for anointing plus several other non-religious purposes and what was used by the early church to anoint folks for healing. In the NT a dove is the common symbol representing the HS. In Matt. 25 it's just lamp oil, reading anything else into that is trying to find symbolism where none is being used, the virgins aren't brides, the bridegroom is the bridegroom which is a title for Jesus in some of his parables but in them the church is never depicted as the bride. There are a couple of times when oil does represent the HS in the OT and when David was anointed was one. of those times

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heavy sigh, you're right but not every time the word "oil" is used does it mean the Holy Spirit, nor does it mean that in the examples you gave. Olive oil was the type of oil they used in their lamps that were oil based and olive oil was the kind of oil used for anointing plus several other non-religious purposes and what was used by the early church to anoint folks for healing. In the NT a dove is the common symbol representing the HS. In Matt. 25 it's just lamp oil, reading anything else into that is trying to find symbolism where none is being used, the virgins aren't brides, the bridegroom is the bridegroom which is a title for Jesus in some of his parables but in them the church is never depicted as the bride. There are a couple of times when oil does represent the HS in the OT and when David was anointed was one. of those times
Concerning the Parable spoken by the Lord in Matthew 25:1-13 -
Why did the Lord speak of oil in lamps, being filled or not, and what is the corresponding OT utterance of this?

The Holy Spirit does not want you sigh but to SEE

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Second Coming is spoken of in Matthew 24 & 25. The Parable of the Ten Virgins is likened to His Coming and to a Wedding, since in the first verse, Jesus is identified as the BRIDEGROOM.

The Virgins know about the Wedding, they know about the Messiah coming, they are professing believers, waiting for that sound of the trumpet. So we can assume that these are not unbelievers in God per se, they aren’t reprobates, because they earnestly await for His Coming, but only half are prepared. What does this mean?

The virgins all had lamps. What do they represent? I think our spirit. I think our spirit has faith likened to seeds that are planted in fertile soil, the roots go deep. And so seed that is planted in shallow soil represents weak faith, the light goes out when trouble comes or when it is tested. So the lamp of the virgins without oil is quenched, lacks a source of energy, power, in this case eternal power that cannot be bought or shared, though they may try. After the Bridegroom comes, the wise virgins trim their lamps, light them and go out to meet him. They follow Him to the Father’s house, where the wedding is and the DOOR IS SHUT.

Those who think they can prepare after He arrives or may think He will be merciful, Jesus says, NO! “I do not know you”. Meaning he does not have a relationship with them. Yet the foolish virgins plea with Him, just like many who say Lord, Lord, did not we prophesy in your name, heal in your name, bla, bla, bla? What can we say about them? Many of these must be the Jews, who believed in God, were waiting for their Messiah, but did not have the Holy Spirit. And others are those who attended church, but were not born of the Spirit, they just showed up to church, professed to be believers, but did not demonstrate it, their faith was dead.

There is a call for inward preparedness, not just an outward show.

Pure olive oil was used in many ways: in prayer, anointing of prophets, priests and kings, consecration (Lev. 8:30); to light a lamp to burn continually (Ex.27:20-21), healing and cleansing (Lev.14;16-18; James 5:14). It was a symbol of purity.

It is key that David received the Holy Spirit after being anointed with oil: “Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward…” 1 Samuel 16:13

I shall submit that maybe the oil is not symbolic for the Holy Spirit, that instead it is true faith, but not faith that is lit for awhile and dies out. You can’t buy faith. But once you have faith, your lamp is lit with fire and this fire, that burns continuously is the Holy Spirit.

A marriage has unity and fidelity, yes, but that sounds dry and cold. If that is all, much is missing. There is much more depth to our relationship with Christ and with our spouses. It is about love and life in a family. In marriage we see the fruit of the Spirit blossom. As marriage grows in love and trust, likewise, our spirit grows in Christ.

Ephesians 5:22-27
"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish."

Jesus and His Bride have a relationship of infinite intimacy.
In a marriage the two become one. When we become one with Christ, it cannot be undone.
Deep love, sacrifice, devotion are required to live life in the full here and now and for our eternal life.
As we drink a joyous cup in remembrance of our Lord’s blood sacrifice, a covenant is made and He gives us the Holy Spirit and spiritual gifts and in heaven, a New home that we eagerly await.

In Rev. 21:9-11, the Church is called “the Bride, the wife of the Lamb.”
The Bride is beautiful and glorious and what a home He has preoared for His Bride, the New Jerusalem.

Last edited:
  • Love

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concerning the Parable spoken by the Lord in Matthew 25:1-13 -
Why did the Lord speak of oil in lamps, being filled or not, and what is the corresponding OT utterance of this?

The Holy Spirit does not want you sigh but to SEE
Jesus is using a parable to foretell a prophecy thus no OT utterance is necessary. I think it's a matter of both physical and spiritual preparation for when the church gets tried via the GT. Spiritual preparation so you won't become apostate and physical preparation for the time you may need or want to buy neccessities, like the oil, but will need the mark to do so.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Second Coming is spoken of in Matthew 24 & 25. The Parable of the Ten Virgins are likened to His Coming and to a Wedding, since in the first verse, Jesus is identified as the BRIDEGROOM.

The Virgins know about the Wedding, they know about the Messiah coming, they are professing believers, waiting for that sound of the trumpet. So we can assume that these are not unbelievers in God per se, they aren’t reprobates, because they earnestly await for His Coming, but only half are prepared. What does this mean?

The virgins all had lamps. What do they represent? I think our spirit. I think our spirit has faith likened to seeds that are planted in fertile soil, the roots go deep. And so seed that is planted in shallow soil represents weak faith, the light goes out when trouble comes or when it is tested. So the lamp of of the virgins without oil is quenched, lacks a source of energy, power, in this case eternal power that cannot be bought or shared, though they may try. After the Bridegroom comes, the wise virgins trim their lamps, light them and go out to meet him. They follow Him to the Father’s house, where the wedding is and the DOOR IS SHUT.

Those who think they can prepare after He arrives or may think He will be merciful, Jesus says, NO! “I do not know you”. Meaning he does not have a relationship with them. Yet the foolish virgins plea with Him, just like many who say Lord, Lord, did not we prophesy in your name, heal in your name, bla, bla, bla? What can we say about them? Many of these must be the Jews, who believed in God, were waiting for their Messiah, but did not have the Holy Spirit. And others are those who attended church, but were not born of the Spirit, they just showed up to church, professed to be believers, but did not demonstrate it, their faith was dead.

There is a call for inward preparedness, not just an outward show.

Pure olive oil was used in many ways: in prayer, anointing of prophets, priests and kings, consecration (Lev. 8:30); to light a lamp to burn continually (Ex.27:20-21), healing and cleansing (Lev.14;16-18; James 5:14). It was a symbol of purity.

It is key that David received the Holy Spirit after being anointed with oil: “Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward…” 1 Samuel 16:13

I shall submit that maybe the oil is not symbolic for the Holy Spirit, that instead it is true faith, but not faith that is lit for awhile and dies out. You can’t buy faith. But once you have faith, your lamp is lit with fire and this fire, that burns continuously is the Holy Spirit.

A marriage has unity and fidelity, yes, but that sounds dry and cold. If that is all, much is missing. There is much more depth to our relationship with Christ and with our spouses. It is about love and life in a family. In marriage we see the fruit of the Spirit blossom. As marriage grows in love and trust, likewise, our spirit grows in Christ.

Ephesians 5:22-27
"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish."

Jesus and His Bride have a relationship of infinite intimacy.
In a marriage the two become one. When we become one with Christ, it cannot be undone.
Deep love, sacrifice, devotion are required to live life in the full here and now and for our eternal life.
As we drink a joyous cup in remembrance of our Lord’s blood sacrifice, a covenant is made and He gives us the Holy Spirit and spiritual gifts and in heaven, a New home that we eagerly await.

In Rev. 22:9-11, the Church is called “the Bride, the wife of the Lamb.”
The Bride is beautiful and glorious and what a home He has preoared for His Bride, the New Jerusalem.
We don't need a marriage to become "one" w/ Christ, that occurs w/ salvation. I think you mean Rev. 21:9-11 and the church is never mentioned, that is a presumption and the church is most certainly not the NJ. See my reply to David in NJ.