A God of Hate

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then you're questioning the account. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're essentially saying that you doubt the veracity of the old testament. Why are you just not clear on that? You're creating a lot of posts, without saying much of anything. Maybe instead of using clever one liners to answer questions (without actually answering them), use a few more words and actually explain your position. It's been quite painful to read this thread since you started in on it. If you want to discuss, explain your position. If you don't want to discuss, why are you here?
69 posts is enough. I won't waste my time ready #70.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So God didn’t want the Israelites to intermarry with the people of that region. But if God were actually merciful and loving, was there no other way to prevent the Israelites from intermarrying the indigenous people of the promised lands, or was slaughter the only possible option?
Here's something interesting, The conquest of Canaan never happened, or not as we've been told.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Recently an atheist I have been debating stated that there was ‘little to absolutely no evidence‘ of the conquest of Joshua and settlement of new Israelite residents. But the secular science of archaeology roundly contradicts this skepticism.”

Freedm

Aug 3, 2023
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here's something interesting, The conquest of Canaan never happened, or not as we've been told.

I read your article. It describes peaceful Jewish villages that are no different than the peaceful Canaanite villages, with the exception that no pig bones were found. That this qualifies as "archeological evidence" is frankly absurd.

The only basis they have for claiming that these peaceful villages were Jewish was the lack of pig bones. So essentially, they find a bunch of identical villages and they surmise that those with pig bones were Canaanite villages, and the rest were Jewish villages. They even admit that these supposed "Jewish villages" had no signs of worship or religious practices whatsoever, which makes no sense for Jewish villages. And even more laughable is their claim that "most of the Israelites came from within the Canaanite population". So they're literally telling us these are Canaanite villages, inhabited by Canaanites, but because there were no pig bones found they must be Israelite villages and therefore the Bible is false. It's utterly ridiculous and I'm surprised that you're taking their logic even the least bit seriously.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many passages in the Bible that explicitly say that Yahweh, the God of the Bible, is merciful and loving. Here’s an example:

But that’s far from the whole story. The Book of Joshua describes the conquest of the lands promised to the Israelites. Chapter 12 lists 31 kingdoms that were conquered under the leadership of Joshua. But those kingdoms weren’t just conquered. Every one of the kings of those kingdoms was killed. And not only that, but every one of the cities and towns over which those kings ruled was destroyed. And not only that, but all of the men, women, and children who lived in those cities and towns were killed:

God himself actively participated in this slaughter:

Furthermore, God ordered this slaughter:

Exactly why did God plan to slaughter all of those people? The answer is provided elsewhere in Deuteronomy:

So God didn’t want the Israelites to intermarry with the people of that region. But if God were actually merciful and loving, was there no other way to prevent the Israelites from intermarrying the indigenous people of the promised lands, or was slaughter the only possible option?

An omniscient God would have known that this problem would arise, and he could have planned for it at the time when he created the sun, the moon, the planets, the stars, the galaxies, and the earth itself. An omnipotent God could have created a force field around the entire region to prevent anyone else from entering. Then, when the Israelites arrived, he could have disabled the force field to let the Israelites enter a region that would have been fertile, lush, and unpopulated.

Or alternatively an omnipotent God could have left the promised lands at the bottom of the Mediterranean sea. Then when the Israelites arrived he could have lifted up the promised lands from the sea floor and the Israelites could have entered a region that would have been pristine, new, and uninhabited.

Or a truly omnipotent God could have lifted up all of the 31 kingdoms to carry them out of the way. If God had done that the inhabitants of that region would have been immensely grateful-- and he would thereby have gotten thousands of new followers as a result. Instead the only new followers he got were Rahab of Jericho and the other members of her whorehouse.

Slaughtering people simply for their beliefs is genocide. Yahweh certainly had plenty of time and opportunity to choose another path. Why didn’t Yahweh choose any of the options listed above? There is only one possible conclusion: Yahweh, the God of the Bible, is a God of genocide, not of love and mercy.
I will put that on my list of questions to ask God when I get to Heaven. John 3:16-20

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What sin specifically? The only "sin" mentioned is that they were not followers of Yahweh. Do you think that anyone who refuses to worship Yahweh should be slaughtered?

Maybe you missed an earlier discussion. I said in the following posting that there have been billions and billions of people who have lived on this planet who never once in their lives had any opportunity at all to even hear about Jesus or the Bible or the Ten Commandments or the Crucifixion:

The Messiah

So how will God treat such people on the day of judgment? If belief in Jesus is required to earn eternal life then God has literally set up billions and billions of people to fail in the single most important choice they could possibly make in their lives.

A God who slaughters people simply because they don't believe in him, and who condemns billions to the everlasting fires of hell and damnation just because they don't believe in Jesus is a tyrant. Such a God is not deserving of anyone's worship.

I believe that people should be judged on the basis of their actions and deeds, not on their personal beliefs. I believe the same is true of gods. Huitzilopochtli, the Aztec god of war, required frequent ritual human sacrifice. I refuse to worship such a god because I think human sacrifice is evil. And similarly I refuse to worship a god who behaves as Yahweh has behaved because his actions are those of a tyrant!
Circular Reasoning fun: How can you attack a being that does not exist? Attacking such a being, means He exists? A Saint who was labeled as Santa exists. I forget his name or the story.,

• Haha
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Circular Reasoning fun: How can you attack a being that does not exist? Attacking such a being, means He exists? A Saint who was labeled as Santa exists. I forget his name or the story.,
Saint Nicholas, perhaps? (St. Nicklaus) Old Saint Nick.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The Learner

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What sin specifically? The only "sin" mentioned is that they were not followers of Yahweh. Do you think that anyone who refuses to worship Yahweh should be slaughtered?

Maybe you missed an earlier discussion. I said in the following posting that there have been billions and billions of people who have lived on this planet who never once in their lives had any opportunity at all to even hear about Jesus or the Bible or the Ten Commandments or the Crucifixion:

The Messiah

So how will God treat such people on the day of judgment? If belief in Jesus is required to earn eternal life then God has literally set up billions and billions of people to fail in the single most important choice they could possibly make in their lives.

A God who slaughters people simply because they don't believe in him, and who condemns billions to the everlasting fires of hell and damnation just because they don't believe in Jesus is a tyrant. Such a God is not deserving of anyone's worship.

I believe that people should be judged on the basis of their actions and deeds, not on their personal beliefs. I believe the same is true of gods. Huitzilopochtli, the Aztec god of war, required frequent ritual human sacrifice. I refuse to worship such a god because I think human sacrifice is evil. And similarly I refuse to worship a god who behaves as Yahweh has behaved because his actions are those of a tyrant!
It is inherent that a mature person sense right from wrong. The Bible says so.
I pray that you will have a change of heart.

You seem to envision alternatives.
Care to share?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As for the nature of God judge you… But he will punish those he sees fit and behold their carcasses falling as dung in the open field…

20 Yet hear the word of the Lord, O ye women, and let your ear receive the word of his mouth, and teach your daughters wailing, and every one her neighbour lamentation.
21 For death is come up into our windows, and is entered into our palaces, to cut off the children from without, and the young men from the streets.
22 Speak, Thus saith the Lord, Even the carcases of men shall fall as dung upon the open field, and as the handful after the harvestman, and none shall gather them.
23 Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:
24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.
25 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will punish all them which are circumcised with the uncircumcised;
26 Egypt, and Judah, and Edom, and the children of Ammon, and Moab, and all that are in the utmost corners, that dwell in the wilderness: for all these nations are uncircumcised, and all the house of Israel are uncircumcised in the heart. - Jeremiah 9

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
two standard responses to the problem of God killing people
A) Back then they view him as a tribual god and made up those stories to justifly their own bad behavior.
B) God is the creator and in charge, he makes some to treat as prizes, some for everyday uses and some to destroy.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
two standard responses to the problem of God killing people
A) Back then they view him as a tribual god and made up those stories to justifly their own bad behavior.
B) God is the creator and in charge, he makes some to treat as prizes, some for everyday uses and some to destroy.
Here's an article that leans toward A) and questions B).
Archaeologic evidence says... and if so then... ???

• Love

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Slaughtering people simply for their beliefs is genocide. Yahweh certainly had plenty of time and opportunity to choose another path. Why didn’t Yahweh choose any of the options listed above? There is only one possible conclusion: Yahweh, the God of the Bible, is a God of genocide, not of love and mercy.
Ah that old chestnut! Why the gory bits in the Bible? Truth is... you can try to create a god in your own image and after your own likeness, or you can endeavor to know the One True God. Most Christians like St. SteVen and Quietthinker had to change the Word of God so their god could fit! Ask them to change their minds to allow the Word of God to fit them and you will get all manner of resistance.

Truth is, most critics dont want to enter the Word to find out why these things happened and most when you explain the rational are quick to pass it off - truth is they are not even in the way.

1693540712893.png Both paths experience God's judgements and they are not motivated by hate - so misinformed!

F2F

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I don't get it.

There are people who claim to be "christian" and all they do is write books that hate the bible, or post Threads that accuse God of doing the Devil's work.

There is a member here, (2) actually... for example, and every single Thread they post, is to stick their MIDDLE finger into God's eye., by some accusation, or some slander, or some devious innuendo.

"God is not mocked".

Last edited:
  • Love