A Good Conversation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've always liked how the King James uses "conversation" for anastrophe. Granted, as in other examples of the King's English, you need to know what the word means to properly appreciate it.

One of the things I like about the KJV is that is uses language that makes one think to understand it, and anything that makes the mind dwell more on Scripture I like.

James 3:13 "Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom."

Of course, on an internet forum, that's all we really see of each other's lives and conduct, our dialog. But our dialog shows what we're about, does it not?

It is our conversation.

Much love!

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I prefer the NIV:

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.

Not being a scholar I prefer the modern translations and have never been able to follow the KJV.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, I posted this, and went along reading some more threads, as I am wont to do.

Do you realize just how many derisive posts are routinely added to this forum? How many times people are laughed at, "LOL . . . can you believe they (what that person thinks)", or whatever form it takes. How many insults, put downs, little tit-for-tat battles as a member seeks advantage in their words over another.

I used to enjoy Letterman's Top Ten, often ridiculous and hilarious.

And the Number 1 Reason for Ridiculing Another's Post is . . . . drum roll . . . psham . . . "I'm more spiritual than you!"

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: charity and Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I prefer the NIV:

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.

Not being a scholar I prefer the modern translations and have never been able to follow the KJV.

Hi Pearl,

Over the years I've studied from quite a number of translations. And I'm no scholar, but I did get top grade in my college NT Greek class. But that was a long time ago, and nothing to brag on.

This past year I've come back to the King James, but I have to say my reading remains informed by other translations also. One of the things for me was seeing those footnotes, "* Hebrew, Zion; when they put "Jerusalem" in the verse. Or I'd read "Jacob", and the footnote is, * Hebrew, Israel. If it says Israel, I want to read Israel.

Of course, KJV says "Prevent", but it actually mean "preceed", and there are many more like that.

Oh come on, you know what they say . . . Consistency is the . . . ."

But either way the verse speaks the same, it's not about what you say, it's about what you do.

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I should never try to be clever, or funny. It maybe comes off about 2% of the time, if I'm lucky!

I just read so many posts that read so much like, "LOL, What an idiot/immature/unlearned/fill in the blank". And ussually coupled with something like, I know more, I'm more spiritual, what have you, so you should listen to me.

It strikes me as bitter and sweet from the same fountain. But more to the point, insulting someone then telling them they should listen to you (whomever) because you are more spiritual . . . Not His way, I don't think.

Much love!

Mark

Reactions: charity and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You know, I posted this, and went along reading some more threads, as I am wont to do.

Do you realize just how many derisive posts are routinely added to this forum? How many times people are laughed at, "LOL . . . can you believe they (what that person thinks)", or whatever form it takes. How many insults, put downs, little tit-for-tat battles on a member seeks advantage in their words over another.

I used to enjoy Letterman's Top Ten, often ridiculous and hilarious.

And the Number 1 Reason for Ridiculing Another's Post is . . . . drum roll . . . psham . . . "I'm more spiritual than you!"

Much love!
I nearly got killed on one Christian forum for saying I preferred the NIV.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, I posted this...

Much love!
Yet another confirmation that "spiritual" is good! LOL!

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I nearly got killed on one Christian forum for saying I preferred the NIV.
I've always enjoyed the preface in the 1611 KJV. I particularly like to refer it to King James Onlyists.

"Now to the latter we answer, that we do not deny, nay, we affirm and avow, that the very meanest translation of the Bible in English, set forth by men of our profession, (for we have seen none of theirs of the whole Bible as yet) containeth the Word of God, nay, is the Word of God."

Bible (King James)/Preface - Wikisource, the free online library

Their view was that the crudest translation if actually a translation is the Word of God.

Much love!

Reactions: charity

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are probably no more than about two dozen such archaic words in the King James Bible. And that is why every Christian should invest in Strong's Exhaustive Concordance (KJB).

https://www.amazon.com/Strongs-Exhaustive-Concordance-Bible-Strong/dp/1598566938

As to the word "conversation" it means manner of life.

No, there aren't many. And I think the use of English in the King James is, not that this is so important, but just the same, by and large a literary masterpiece. And well worth the learning of the archaic language.

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've always enjoyed the preface in the 1611 KJV. I particularly like to refer it to King James Onlyists.

"Now to the latter we answer, that we do not deny, nay, we affirm and avow, that the very meanest translation of the Bible in English, set forth by men of our profession, (for we have seen none of theirs of the whole Bible as yet) containeth the Word of God, nay, is the Word of God."

Bible (King James)/Preface - Wikisource, the free online library

Their view was that the crudest translation if actually a translation is the Word of God.

Much love!
I can't say I've ever read that preface. But on a similar (sort of) subject, the only bible I've ever seen which tells people how to become a Christian is the New Living Translation which explains what a Christian is and gives a suggested prayer.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't say I've ever read that preface. But on a similar (sort of) subject, the only bible I've ever seen which tells people how to become a Christian is the New Living Translation which explains what a Christian is and gives a suggested prayer.

I like the NLT a lot!

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hardly spiritual when behaving in such a fashion, would you agree?

Much love!
Certainly it doesn't feel that good, and I would tend to agree, if not for the claims made in the scriptures to the contrary. Which is not to say that the scriptures say that we should act perversely. But rather, that in spite of the fact that the scriptures speak against the things you listed above about the put-downs and tit-for-tats, they also indicate that the plan of God includes our weakness, our diversities, and His spirit (power) being poured out upon all flesh...not limited to those who are good, but also including those who are evil: "all." This finale includes both.

As such, I join you and do agree that we should try to do better. But at the same time, be glad and know that God is working all things together for good for those who love Him.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, there aren't many. And I think the use of English in the King James is, not that this is so important, but just the same, by and large a literary masterpiece. And well worth the learning of the archaic language.
Absolutely. Scholars of English literature and the English language have long recognized the outstanding literary qualities of the Authorized Version.

And even those who wished to replace the KJB in the 19th century could not avoid recognizing the value of this translation. They were given the job of updating this Bible, but instead ended up trying to replace it with the Revised Version (RV), which no one bothers with any more.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As such, I join you and do agree that we should try to do better. But at the same time, be glad and know that God is working all things together for good for those who love Him.

This is a very good truth to remember. All things!

But I think too when we act that way we act contrary to our own interests, that is, if we wish to be heard.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely. Scholars of English literature and the English language have long recognized the outstanding literary qualities of the Authorized Version.

And even those who wished to replace the KJB in the 19th century could not avoid recognizing the value of this translation. They were given the job of updating this Bible, but instead ended up trying to replace it with the Revised Version (RV), which no one bothers with any more.

Some of the verses are just amazing in how the translators carry forward the passion and the poetry of the passage. Such polish!

Pmuch love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are many who would say they are scholars on sites like this but they should remember that there are also many like myself who are mature, long-time, firm as a rock Christians who just want to enjoy some online Christian fellowship without being put down by the 'clever' folk all the time.

Reactions: charity and marks

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to say that The Passion Translation far surpasses any other translation or version that I have read. I just wish they would hurry and get the OT done.