A NEW TAKE ON AN OLD DEBATE.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe that "tongues" of Acts was really more like modern interpreters on TV.
In Acts 2 we see at least 15 languages and dialects spoken supernaturally by the apostles and their companions. There is no evidence that today's tongues are actual languages spoken without any prior knowledge, or training, or study, and properly interpreted for those not familiar with them.

God told the Jews that because of their unbelief He would use foreign languages as a "sign" or miracle that would accompany the Gospel. So that was the real purpose of tongues: In the Law [the OT] it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Reactions: Spirit_and_Truth

Spirit_and_Truth

Nov 5, 2021
West Chester
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ones I am talking about don't 'debate' but just condemn anything that they disagree with.
That's unfortunate. So far I've yet to find anyone to debate w/. Seems like everyone gets along and basically agrees. Which in general is a good thing, but not what i expected from a debate forum. I thought the rules said something about unbelievers not being allowed on here, which is unfortunate in my opinion, but slugging it out on the internet probably does call for a safe place every now and then. Everyone knows disembodied spirits can be real savages.

Last edited:

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I had become inhibited by debates on the forum but I am now sparking in life the gift God gave me and keep seeing things about the benefit of using the gift of tongues.

Bless you sister. I read the article piece and am thinking that it may be the releasing of the hormone, dopemine. Considered as the "feel good" hormone which is released when your brain is expecting a reward. It brings a feeling of euphoria and bliss...

Reactions: Pearl

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl Sometimes also when things are discussed it's as if Scripture has nothing to do with it...(applying in many areas...)
Often, the 'heated/hairsplitting' arguments are in 'Scripture/Bible verses(passages)' topics ...on Christian Forums.
- Interpretation/exegesis..
---
Interesting to note:
I remember a fellow who gave 20-30 Bible verses on several topics/threads.. on his post (on another Christian Forum).
- Just the Bible verses/scripture..
- Meaning.. he is 100% correct..
- Because he posted more Bible verses that others!
---
* I am on several Christian Forums.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That saying does work regarding loving others. If you can't love them, at least act like you do. In time you will.

Much love!
That doesn't work at all. The Bible clearly teaches in Romans that only someone with God's Spirit can show agape love. That's not something that can be faked because carnal-minded people won't entertain any notion of following all 10 of God's commandments, let alone the last 6. You'd think a person who claims to be Christian would know better than to try to foist this theology off on other people. Human love can be faked only because it's superficial and something people in this world have to work up from within themselves.
My first instinct would be to agree, but don't be fooled! It is a fully accredited University, not just a Bible school. They have programs in exercise Physiology, biology, history, chemistry, mathematics, dance, special ed, etc.

They even have a division 1 sports program and a mens basketball team that has done pretty well.
You may not realize this, but you've just explained why that school has nothing to do with the true God. Accredited universities have to fall in line with this world's standards of what constitutes true education and not the biblical standard. A truly Christian school would not be accredited by men. That's just a biblical fact. Considering the urgency of the times, a truly Christian school also wouldn't be caught up in having a D1 sports program when there are more important things to be done like warning the world and preparing true Christians to be teachers and rulers in the future.

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You may not realize this, but you've just explained why that school has nothing to do with the true God.
It wasn't my intention to show it to be or not to be. What happened is someone noted research from that University and someone else said it wasn't surprising that it came from ORU. While I agree with that, I was merely stating that ORU is as legit as any other university. We can critique the research, but we shouldn't shrug it off because it came from ORU. That was my main point.

Accredited universities have to fall in line with this world's standards of what constitutes true education and not the biblical standard. A truly Christian school would not be accredited by men.
Well, who would accredit it then? God? I agree: God! But how does that process work? Once they get their bylaws and curriculum, where do they send their application and necessary paperwork?

Overall even in the Bible God gave that task to men. He gave Moses, then the Apostles the curriculum and bylaws and then the job of setting it up.

Personally, I believe what makes any school or Church a Christian one is if they are teaching and adhering to the truth. I haven't attended ORU nor looked into whether they are... So I will not say whether the are a "Christian" school or not.

As for their D 1 sports... Yea... Kind of strange, but it doesn't bother me too much. Christians can be athletes too. If you disagree, then you better not have any extracurricular activities yourself. No hobbies... No clubs...

Well that doesn't seem like liberty to me!

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll be praying in tongues more often I think.

I keep forgetting to, as I spend my time listening for His voice as I ask Him questions. But you are right. And just two weeks ago I set a resolution to do more praying in the Spirit.

I've heard obeying praying in the Spirit is something God loves us to do, and it is like climbing up in your Father's lap. Of course, we are to be obedient to Him in all things, so why not add this one to the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I keep forgetting to, as I spend my time listening for His voice as I ask Him questions. But you are right. And just two weeks ago I set a resolution to do more praying in the Spirit.

I've heard obeying praying in the Spirit is something God loves us to do, and it is like climbing up in your Father's lap. Of course, we are to be obedient to Him in all things, so why not add this one to the list.
I kept forgetting too @1stCenturyLady but recently God has reminded me in a number of ways, such as:

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 2 Timothy 1:6

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regards to speaking in tongues, I will never forget when my friend (who previously attended an Assemblies of God church) went to a Bible study at his Pastor's house once a week and sometimes the Pastor would speak in tongues during their Bible study. My friend worked with a woman who was a Baptist that was terrified of being around people who spoke in tongues, yet my friend convinced her to come to the Bible study to see for herself that she has nothing to fear. When his lady friend showed up at the Bible study, as soon as she walked in the door, the Pastor began speaking in tongues very loudly with his hands high in the air, then he fell backwards to the floor! My friend said that even he was freaked out by the incident and when he turned around, his lady friend was running for the hills!

Now I'm not telling this story to disparage the gift of tongues in general (I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath water). But as the apostle Paul said in 1 Corinthians 14:39 - Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

1 Corinthians 14:6 - But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching? 7 Even things without life, whether flute or harp, when they make a sound, unless they make a distinction in the sounds, how will it be known what is piped or played? 8 For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare for battle? 9 So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air. 10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them is without significance. 11 Therefore, if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks will be a foreigner to me. 12 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel. 13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding. 16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say? 17 For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; 19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue. 20 Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature. 21 In the law it is written: “With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me,” says the Lord. 22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe. 23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you. 26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints. 34 Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. 35 And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church. 36 Or did the word of God come originally from you? Or was it you only that it reached? 37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would be interesting to get your scientific take on this item. But it doesn't suggest that it is more important than prayer. At least I don't think it does. For me praying in tongues works two ways - I either pray in English first and then carry on praying in tongues. And then often this leads into singing in tongues. Or sometimes the tongues first which then seems to lead me into understand when I pray in English things which I may not have thought of before.

I went to a Four Square church for many years where many people prayed in tongues. They would pray for me but I felt ackward, didn't understand and just let it go - figured God would answer the prayer if it was legit. The odd thing was that I never met anyone with the gift of interpretation of tongues.
Do you pray with people who interpret what you are uttering or do you just let it flow without knowing what it means? And if so, what specifically have these prayers meant to you or anyone in the church? You said you began in English, either praying for yourself or someone, maybe in the form of a petition or maybe just praising God. So when the tongues kicked in, was it applicable to you petition or worship?

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I went to a Four Square church for many years where many people prayed in tongues. They would pray for me but I felt awkward, didn't understand and just let it go - figured God would answer the prayer if it was legit. The odd thing was that I never met anyone with the gift of interpretation of tongues.
Do you pray with people who interpret what you are uttering or do you just let it flow without knowing what it means? And if so, what specifically have these prayers meant to you or anyone in the church? You said you began in English, either praying for yourself or someone, maybe in the form of a petition or maybe just praising God. So when the tongues kicked in, was it applicable to you petition or worship?

I have heard interpretations when somebody has stood up in a church meeting and spoken in tongues but I have never done that. I have prayed in tongues in a small group with other people as well as in church meetings or when praying and laying hands on a person. I am quite a reserved lady but one time one of the women requested prayer and I was at the back of a small group praying for her when suddenly this strong urge to pray for her came on me and I found myself at the front and praying very commandingly in tongues.

My own first time of using tongues was singing and that time there was an interpretation - the one and only time. But I believe that this is a powerful spiritual gift. My friend used to like going to a cafe where they sold crystals and occasionally held seances and at first i was reluctant to go in but 'greater is he who is me . . .' so every time we went I used to go in the loo and pray in tongues and eventually it shut down.

i think most of us either do not realise or forget how powerful this gift can be. These days I only use it in my personal prayer life - speaking or singing - because it is also for our personal edification/building up. I'm still only able to do it for a short time but hoping to spend more time as I increase in confidence.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I went to a Four Square church for many years where many people prayed in tongues. They would pray for me but I felt ackward, didn't understand and just let it go - figured God would answer the prayer if it was legit. The odd thing was that I never met anyone with the gift of interpretation of tongues.

I believe there to be four basic manifestations of the gift of tongues.
  • Tongues for personal edification. (1 Corinthians 14:4) This is the supernatural language the Holy Spirit prays through us that we can use to pray hour after hour if we desire. It often accompanies the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

• Tongues which require an interpretation. (1 Corinthians 14:5) This manifestation of tongues is normally presented in a public assembly accompanied by an interpretation by the same or another person. (Romans 8:26)

• Tongues of deep intercessional groaning. (Romans 8:26) This diversification of tongues empowers the believers to stand in the gap for their own lives, their families, their church, their city, their nation etc. God may also call on them to intercede for someone or for some situation that is totally unknown.

• Tongues as a sign to unbelievers. (1 Corinthians 14:22) This is the phenomenon that took place on the day of Pentecost. (Acts2:4-11) It occurs when the Holy Spirit transcends the intellect and all language barriers by empowering a believer to preach, teach or testify about Christ in some language of man of which the believer himself has no knowledge.

• I have also found that singing in tongues to praise and worship is another lovely way we can use the gift .

• And praying in tongues silently either in support of another person who is ‘ministering’ or in a public place is another way of using this gift.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regards to speaking in tongues, I will never forget when my friend (who previously attended an Assemblies of God church) went to a Bible study at his Pastor's house once a week and sometimes the Pastor would speak in tongues during their Bible study. My friend worked with a woman who was a Baptist that was terrified of being around people who spoke in tongues, yet my friend convinced her to come to the Bible study to see for herself that she has nothing to fear. When his lady friend showed up at the Bible study, as soon as she walked in the door, the Pastor began speaking in tongues very loudly with his hands high in the air, then he fell backwards to the floor! My friend said that even he was freaked out by the incident and when he turned around, his lady friend was running for the hills!

Now I'm not telling this story to disparage the gift of tongues in general (I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath water). But as the apostle Paul said in 1 Corinthians 14:39 - Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

1 Corinthians 14:6 - But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching? 7 Even things without life, whether flute or harp, when they make a sound, unless they make a distinction in the sounds, how will it be known what is piped or played? 8 For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare for battle? 9 So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air. 10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them is without significance. 11 Therefore, if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks will be a foreigner to me. 12 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel. 13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding. 16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say? 17 For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; 19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue. 20 Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature. 21 In the law it is written: “With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me,” says the Lord. 22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe. 23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you. 26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints. 34 Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. 35 And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church. 36 Or did the word of God come originally from you? Or was it you only that it reached? 37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.

Why did you start at verse 6?

Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification. But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching?

There are two types of tongues. Just starting at verse 6 leaves out the important context. The verse before it shows the context that the second type of tongues requires interpretation, and what those messages from God will be revelation, knowledge, prophesy or teaching. Chapter 14 is Paul's teaching between the two types of tongues. Verse 2 is the first type given to all who believe, Mark 16:16-18, and the second found in 1 Cor. 12
are for the profit of all that requires interpretation. Note that Mark 16:17-18 interpretation is not mentioned and not required for prayer or praise to God. It is only the second type of tongues that must be interpreted, but many lump them together and erroneously believe that the rules for the second type is required for the first as well.

Lifting hands in praise to God in the Spirit before a meeting of believers begins to invite the Spirit of Truth to lead in their study of His Word, and where it is expected that all at the Bible study are already familiar with tongues was not out of order. And sometimes, the entrance of the Spirit can be powerful, thus his falling under the power of the Spirit. The guy bringing the girl should have better prepared her. She obviously had heard teachings from witch hunters that tongues are of the devil, and just like the uninformed of 1 Cor. 14:23 proved herself to be unprepared, and proving verse 22 that tongues are a sign to the unbeliever confirming them in their unbelief. Where I went to church in the 70's and 80's, we only did corporate praising God in unison on a Wednesday evening, instead of Sunday morning because it would be unlikely that on Wed. there would be any unsaved or uninformed visitors. But even then the preacher would give a short teaching beforehand. I loved Wednesday night prayer meeting. During corporate praise (as they did on the Day of Pentecost when 120 lifted up praise to God) most would sing in the Spirit and it was beautiful.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • Tongues as a sign to unbelievers. (1 Corinthians 14:22) This is the phenomenon that took place on the day of Pentecost. (Acts2:4-11) It occurs when the Holy Spirit transcends the intellect and all language barriers by empowering a believer to preach, teach or testify about Christ in some language of man of which the believer himself has no knowledge.

Pearl, most believe the "sign to an unbeliever" to be a positive sign, but it is a negative sign. That is why the next verse shows the result if all are speaking in tongues and an unbeliever comes in they will think they are all crazy. Now why would they think that if they understood in their own language?

The devout Jewish visitors to Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost supernaturally UNDERSTOOD/HEARD by interpretation. Not only was the speaking supernatural, but the hearing also. These words are often overlooked, but it is very plain when you don't contradict 1 Cor. 14:2. We already know that the 120 were supernaturally speaking in tongues, but focus on the devout Jews and what they experienced which was also supernatural. Note they already belonged to God in devotion:

6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.”

Picture listening to a choir. Each Jew heard the choir in their own language. It was not a cacophony of 120 different languages, but just one - each person heard their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ancient

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
One needs to understand a couple of things here. 1) It has been bought up about tongues and the day of Pentecost. The Day of Pentecost is actually a feast day of Yahweh as outlined in Lev 23, it was the feast of Shavuot or Feast of Weeks in English. Why were there so many DEVOUT JEWS there? As stated in Acts 2, because they had to be, the Feast of Shavuot was one of 3 Feast they were commanded by Yahweh to be in Jerusalem you know the place where Yahweh put His name. This is revealed in the Torah you know the first 5 books of our Bibles.

2) The devout Jews who were there by the thousands from many different lands and spoke different tongues (languages), as were the 120 disciples who met in what our English bibles "the house" the whole house was filled with the rushing mighty wind "The House" was the temple! It was a Feast of Yahweh Halleluyah!!! Still being adhered to as commanded by Yeshua (Jesus) after His death and resurrection as where all the other feast days of Yahweh decades after the death and resurrection of Yeshua as can be attested to in various verses in the NT especially Acts. Acts was written by what most scholars believe to be around 62 A.D. Hmmmm these records were written around 30 years after the death and resurrection of our Messiah Yeshua. Think about that for a moment!!! They were still adhering to the Feast of Yahweh and the 7th day Sabbath and eating clean 30 years later!!! Why because the NT wasn't written yet and their understanding from the teachings of Yeshua and Paul and Peter never taught them to stop adhering to those instructions and teachings of Yahweh which is the Hebrew word Torah translated in English as Law which is such a bad word to use trying to convey the meaning of the Hebrew word Torah as Torah means the teachings and instructions of Yahweh. Not Law as in our modern day westernized Greek thinking mindsets Law has a negative connotation so therefore it needs to be done away with because to us Law is bad, it is negative. Even in the Greek culture the Greek word used to translate Torah was nomos in Greek and nomos in Greek was still mainly positive and not negative like the English word Law. Please chew on this it will potentially change your life.

3) Tongues needs to be understood from the Hebraic mindset and view as they were Hebrews, who lived in a Hebrew culture. It was not new to them they knew what tongues was. Notice how none of them freaked out when the disciples spoke in tongues!! Yes they were amazed as Galileans were speaking in tongues i.e. the languages of the lands they were from as listed in Acts 2:9-11
But it was excepted and many believed in the Messiah after Peter preached and they were also baptized. Tongues needs to be understood in the Hebraic language, culture and mindset. As that was who they where and the culture they lived in and the God they worshipped was and is the God of the Hebrews, The God of Israel, The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

One final thought one will fail to understand much of the Book of Revelation, if one does not understand the Feasts of Yahweh as there is much reference to the Feasts of Yahweh in Revelation.

NKJ Isaiah 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying,`My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,'

One can only understand the end if they go back to the beginning i.e. the Torah! Yahweh has revealed the end from the beginning. The majority of people have discarded the beginning, done away with the beginning because of the doctrines of men and women and the doctrine of demons. They are clueless as to what will happen in the end because they have no beginning to refer to. Be blessed hopefully this will have an impact and change the lives of those who hunger and thirst for righteousness. Yahweh and Yeshua don't change their Word does not change they are the same Yesterday, Today and Forever. When men and women come to change it, twist it, manipulate it, they are being influenced by the devil, they behave like their father the Devil. The question is who is your Father. We all have and follow a Father is it Yahweh the God of the Hebrews or is it the Devil chose this day who you will serve. Yeshua Himself said "You will know them by their fruit" another way of saying how they live their lives. Yeshua also said "My doctrine is not My own but the Father who sent Me". What doctrine is the Father's when this was spoken by Yeshua 2,000 years ago it wasn't any denominational belief system no it was the Hebrew scriptures it was the Torah as this is all they had in that day. There was no NT!!!

Shalom

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
One needs to understand a couple of things here. 1) It has been bought up about tongues and the day of Pentecost. The Day of Pentecost is actually a feast day of Yahweh as outlined in Lev 23, it was the feast of Shavuot or Feast of Weeks in English. Why were there so many DEVOUT JEWS there? As stated in Acts 2, because they had to be, the Feast of Shavuot was one of 3 Feast they were commanded by Yahweh to be in Jerusalem you know the place where Yahweh put His name. This is revealed in the Torah you know the first 5 books of our Bibles.

2) The devout Jews who were there by the thousands from many different lands and spoke different tongues (languages), as were the 120 disciples who met in what our English bibles "the house" the whole house was filled with the rushing mighty wind "The House" was the temple! It was a Feast of Yahweh Halleluyah!!! Still being adhered to as commanded by Yeshua (Jesus) after His death and resurrection as where all the other feast days of Yahweh decades after the death and resurrection of Yeshua as can be attested to in various verses in the NT especially Acts. Acts was written by what most scholars believe to be around 62 A.D. Hmmmm these records were written around 30 years after the death and resurrection of our Messiah Yeshua. Think about that for a moment!!! They were still adhering to the Feast of Yahweh and the 7th day Sabbath and eating clean 30 years later!!! Why because the NT wasn't written yet and their understanding from the teachings of Yeshua and Paul and Peter never taught them to stop adhering to those instructions and teachings of Yahweh which is the Hebrew word Torah translated in English as Law which is such a bad word to use trying to convey the meaning of the Hebrew word Torah as Torah means the teachings and instructions of Yahweh. Not Law as in our modern day westernized Greek thinking mindsets Law has a negative connotation so therefore it needs to be done away with because to us Law is bad, it is negative. Even in the Greek culture the Greek word used to translate Torah was nomos in Greek and nomos in Greek was still mainly positive and not negative like the English word Law. Please chew on this it will potentially change your life.

3) Tongues needs to be understood from the Hebraic mindset and view as they were Hebrews, who lived in a Hebrew culture. It was not new to them they knew what tongues was. Notice how none of them freaked out when the disciples spoke in tongues!! Yes they were amazed as Galileans were speaking in tongues i.e. the languages of the lands they were from as listed in Acts 2:9-11
But it was excepted and many believed in the Messiah after Peter preached and they were also baptized. Tongues needs to be understood in the Hebraic language, culture and mindset. As that was who they where and the culture they lived in and the God they worshipped was and is the God of the Hebrews, The God of Israel, The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

One final thought one will fail to understand much of the Book of Revelation, if one does not understand the Feasts of Yahweh as there is much reference to the Feasts of Yahweh in Revelation.

NKJ Isaiah 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying,`My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,'

One can only understand the end if they go back to the beginning i.e. the Torah! Yahweh has revealed the end from the beginning. The majority of people have discarded the beginning, done away with the beginning because of the doctrines of men and women and the doctrine of demons. They are clueless as to what will happen in the end because they have no beginning to refer to. Be blessed hopefully this will have an impact and change the lives of those who hunger and thirst for righteousness. Yahweh and Yeshua don't change their Word does not change they are the same Yesterday, Today and Forever. When men and women come to change it, twist it, manipulate it, they are being influenced by the devil, they behave like their father the Devil. The question is who is your Father. We all have and follow a Father is it Yahweh the God of the Hebrews or is it the Devil chose this day who you will serve. Yeshua Himself said "You will know them by their fruit" another way of saying how they live their lives. Yeshua also said "My doctrine is not My own but the Father who sent Me". What doctrine is the Father's when this was spoken by Yeshua 2,000 years ago it wasn't any denominational belief system no it was the Hebrew scriptures it was the Torah as this is all they had in that day. There was no NT!!!

Shalom
Well said!

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll stick with praying in English. My prayers are heard and answered within His time and I am content with that!

Reactions: Nancy