A Reasonable Faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[SIZE=small]“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]-C.S. Lewis[/SIZE]
Is Faith Blind?
[SIZE=small]It is common in our culture to see faith and reason as antithetical. Many think of faith, particularly the Christian faith, as that which is void of reason. People will speak of faith as being “blind” or a “leap.” Essentially, faith has been envisioned in our culture as the abandonment of all rationality. It is pictured as one who closes their eyes, perhaps even as a defiant act of anti-intellectualism, in order to jump into an abyss of the unknown.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Certainly, there is an aspect of faith that requires trust. There are even times in which that trust would cause us to act or hope in something that is contrary to everyday experiences. For instance, hoping in the resurrection is not something that comes from any type of observation or personal experience. However, this is NOT to say that our faith is inconsistent with rationality or is anti-intellectual.[/SIZE]

Faith and Science
[SIZE=small]The Bible declares that the fool says in their heart, “There is no God” (cf. Ps. 14:1). Moreover, we read that God’s invisible qualities and eternal power and divine nature are apparent to all so that men are without excuse (cf. Romans 1:20). As Christians our faith is not the abandonment of rationality, but the abandonment of self-sufficiency. It is rational to accept that there are things at work in this universe that exceed what our little 3.5lb brains can conceive, especially as we consider the grandeur of life and the beautiful harmony of the laws of the cosmos.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]In fact, the more that science progresses, the more we learn about the incredible complexity and brilliance of the fine-tuned universe in which we live. For instance, some educators would lead their students to believe that it is mythology or superstition to believe in a God who created life on earth. It is argued that “we know” that life arose “naturally” on the earth about 4 billion years ago and then evolved to the diverse forms we observe today.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]However, the more that we study living organisms, the more we see the absurdity of such propositions. Scientists are discovering that a single cell is filled with information-rich molecules. DNA consists of chemical coding that runs quite similar to an extremely complex computer program. The ONLY source we have ever discovered that can produce such complex information systems is an intelligent mind. It is simply impossible that such systems could develop by chance and natural processes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Consider this comment from Stephen Meyer:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Life, of course, does exist. So do the information-rich biological macromolecules upon which living cells depend. But the probability that even one of these information-rich molecules arose by chance, let alone the suite of such molecules necessary to maintain or build a minimally complex cell, is so small as to dwarf the probabilistic resources of the entire universe. The conditional probability that just one of these information-rich molecules arose by chance—in effect, the chance that chance is true—is much less than one-half. It is less than one in a trillion trillion (Signature in the Cell, 222).[/SIZE]
A Reasonable Faith
[SIZE=small]By faith, we believe in a God we cannot see. However, his handiwork is clearly seen all around us. Our faith is not blind, nor does it run contrary to reason. It is unreasonable to expect that someone would randomly select a single red golf ball hidden in a sea of one trillion trillion white golf balls. Conversely, it is quite reasonable to believe that life was formed by an unimaginably intelligent Creator. God has not left us to grope for him in the darkness of superstition and insanity. Rationality, rightly understood, leads us toward God and not away from him. As Galileo once declared, “I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” It is immensely reasonable to believe that God exists and he rewards those who diligently seek him. May we remember God’s call to love him with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind in 2015![/SIZE]

Reactions: hopefuldivider

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Blind loyalty is not loyalty. It's foolishness.
Blind faith is the exact same way.

We're not supposed to be milk fed. We're to go beyond that.

Faith is something you can see. We have faith that every day we get up that the shower has hot water. And that it's clean. We don't know for sure that it'll be both.

Over night the power or gas might not have heated the water. A main could have burst and you've not gotten the order to boil the water because of contamination.

No you just trust it's hot and clean. Go about your business. There is nothing blind, because you've seen a pattern of success.

Faith in the Father is the same way. There no fickleness. No inconsistency. He there every day day in day out. And you are too.

He's got as much faith in you as you him. There is nothing blind about that.

Interdependence and it's constant.

You can't see the gas or power that runs that hot water heater nor the plant that makes sure the water is treated. But every day it's consistently there. So is the Father. And so are all of us.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like these thoughts!

Listened to an RC Sproul podcast earlier today, and he was addressed Rationalism and how rationality will get thrown out in a baby and bath water situation.

Unfortunately, some of the anti-intellectual thought is probably deserved because certain fundamentalists willingly abandoned anything that they viewed as wreaking of rationality. However, read the Apostle Paul for more than a moment and you see a very rational faith that is described in terms that make logical sense. Paul is very careful to explain why Jesus had to come and what he accomplished.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and if you study rhetoric, one can see how Paul uses his education to formulate arguments and respond to critics. Paul certainly was not afraid to use his education or intellect to "persuade" men. However, he would not dive into the rhetorical tactics that were full of flowery speech but empty of substance in order to draw attention to himself...as many did in that day. We live in a culture where people are using science and rationality to lead people astray into atheism and disbelief. Christians need to be ready and able to respond. As Paul said, we are to combat arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against a knowledge of God.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ravi Zacharias, William Lane Craig, and Bob Dutko are all strong apologists that do not lay aside the human intellect. Each may vary in their exact theology, yet they are all sound doctrinally. Although they may not exactly agree with mainstream science, I have not known them to entirely dismiss it either.

Atheists like to sound off their personal intellect while bashing Christians for sitting on their brains. This tactic has hindered Christians from entering certain fields of study, or at least altering their approach (I can be a Christian but not at work). I believe this has stifled growth. The Christian worldview need be maintained throughout all facets of the human experience including science, sociology, and philosophy. Our lens is a unique enhancement not to be removed due to social pressures.

From a philosophical standpoint the belief in God is reasonable. I could even argue it is irrational to not believe in God given the probabilities of random chance creating order in the universe. Also from the position of information given throughout creation and the necessity of a mind producing that information. Let alone the first and second laws of thermo dynamics. The list could go on...

Many different apologetics have come out of philosophy. The concept of reason is truly a philosophical ideal. I have once heard a definition of philosophy; thinking really hard about stuff. By definition if something is proven through argument it is reasonable to believe it and it is considered knowledge. God has been proven through various philosophical arguments. A bit of a personal disclaimer...I never say "I know God exists", I claim to have an unshakable faith.

A partial definition of reason from Dictionary.com

Philosophy.
  1. the faculty or power of acquiring intellectual knowledge, either by direct understanding of first principles or by argument.
  2. the power of intelligent and dispassionate thought, or of conduct influenced by such thought.
  3. Kantianism. the faculty by which the ideas of pure reason are created.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We fear what we do not understand. If we cannot find a tangible explanation for why something is, we cower. It is human nature to search for reason and a worldly explanation for what we fear. When we understand it and can explain it we no longer fear it. For a follower of Christ, we surpass our human fear and go on faith in the unseen. This takes courage. True followers of Christ are clad in the armor of the Holy Spirit and are prepared for the spiritual warfare we face everyday.

Men are swayed more by fear than by reverence.
Aristotle

Reactions: Angelina

katabole

Nov 11, 2010
The true North
I believe the Christian faith is a reasonable faith. It answers questions that no other belief system can answer most assuredly because it is a faith built on reason.

God is the best explanation why anything exists rather than nothing.

God is the best explanation for the possibility of God's existence.

God is the best explanation for the origin of the universe.

God is the best explanation for the fine tuning of the universe in order for intelligent life to exist.

God is the best explanation for a universe with laws.

God is the best explanation for a universe that is rationally intelligible or comprehensible.

God is the best explanation for an objective moral reality within humanity.

God is the best explanation for existential choice or freedom to choose.

God is the best explanation for the emotion called love.

God is the best explanation for humans asking questions of ultimate purpose.

God is the best explanation for humans asking questions of ultimate justice.

God is the best explanation for the problem of evil.

God is the best explanation of the applicability of mathematics to the physical world.

God is the best explanation for the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Professor John Lennox in his book, 'Gunning for God: Why the New Atheists Are Missing the Target' entitles his first chapter, "Are God and Faith the Enemies of Reason and Science?" He claims God and Faith are not enemies of reason and science and after listing numerous famous scientists who believed in God and that it was God who was the reason why they became interested in science in the first place, claims that it is actually atheism which is the real delusion.

Another book I suggest is by double PhD, doctor of Philosophy at New York university, Thomas Nagel. He published a book a few years ago titled, 'Mind and Cosmos: Why the Materialist Neo-Darwinian Conception of Nature is Most Certainly False'. He is an atheist who refutes Darwinism and does not believe it is a reasonable explanation as to why human beings have consciousness, imagination, meaning or purpose. He has received critical acclaim from many Christians and much anger from atheists.

Christians have earned 65.4% of all Nobel prizes. Is that not evidence of reason in the natural world?

I believe the weight rests on atheists to give rational explanations as to why their worldview, which is also based on faith, is correct.

“It seems to me immensely unlikely that mind is a mere by-product of matter. For if my mental processes are determined wholly by the motions of atoms in my brain I have no reason to suppose that my beliefs are true. They may be sound chemically, but that does not make them sound logically. And hence I have no reason for supposing my brain to be composed of atoms.”
― J.B.S. Haldane, Possible Worlds

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Wormwood said:
In fact, the more that science progresses, the more we learn about the incredible complexity and brilliance of the fine-tuned universe in which we live. For instance, some educators would lead their students to believe that it is mythology or superstition to believe in a God who created life on earth. It is argued that “we know” that life arose “naturally” on the earth about 4 billion years ago and then evolved to the diverse forms we observe today.

[SIZE=small]However, the more that we study living organisms, the more we see the absurdity of such propositions. Scientists are discovering that a single cell is filled with information-rich molecules. DNA consists of chemical coding that runs quite similar to an extremely complex computer program. The ONLY source we have ever discovered that can produce such complex information systems is an intelligent mind. It is simply impossible that such systems could develop by chance and natural processes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Consider this comment from Stephen Meyer:[/SIZE]

Life, of course, does exist. So do the information-rich biological macromolecules upon which living cells depend. But the probability that even one of these information-rich molecules arose by chance, let alone the suite of such molecules necessary to maintain or build a minimally complex cell, is so small as to dwarf the probabilistic resources of the entire universe. The conditional probability that just one of these information-rich molecules arose by chance—in effect, the chance that chance is true—is much less than one-half. It is less than one in a trillion trillion (Signature in the Cell, 222).
*sigh*

Why, oh, why, oh why do you guys have to do this? In trying to make a case for "reasonable faith" you tie it to pseudoscientific nonsense and a documented liar. Do you see the irony? <_<

hopefuldivider

Mar 12, 2015
Middle of Nowhere
River Jordan said:
*sigh*

Why, oh, why, oh why do you guys have to do this? In trying to make a case for "reasonable faith" you tie it to pseudoscientific nonsense and a documented liar. Do you see the irony? <_<
I fail to see how these statements qualify as "pseudoscientific nonsense" as all that is being done is pointing out the shortcomings of true pseudo-science to explain things that are at the core of a naturalistic explanation for the development and diversification of life on earth. Along with the lack of a satisfactory explanation for development of DNA, I would point out the development of a simple cell and the development of reproduction processes (both asexual and sexual) as further significant shortcomings of a naturalistic explanation.

As for the "documented liar", I am unaware of any lies by this man and I am sure that the poster is as well, but even if that is true, which I in no way deny, I do not see how that effects the validity of the remarks presented in this quote.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
hopefuldivider said:
I fail to see how these statements qualify as "pseudoscientific nonsense"
Then maybe you can do what no one else here can....give a definition of "information" that allows us to determine which of two genomes has the most "information". Oh, and Meyer made the ridiculous argument that it's all too improbable to have happened "by chance". Well duh....no one is saying it was by chance. I'm pretty sure Meyer knows that, but he's counting on his readers not knowing.

as all that is being done is pointing out the shortcomings of true pseudo-science to explain things that are at the core of a naturalistic explanation for the development and diversification of life on earth. Along with the lack of a satisfactory explanation for development of DNA, I would point out the development of a simple cell and the development of reproduction processes (both asexual and sexual) as further significant shortcomings of a naturalistic explanation.
Are you invoking the God of the Gaps fallacy?

As for the "documented liar", I am unaware of any lies by this man and I am sure that the poster is as well, but even if that is true, which I in no way deny, I do not see how that effects the validity of the remarks presented in this quote.
See above. He's either so ignorant of the subject that he can be safely ignored, or he is little more than a con man.

hopefuldivider

Mar 12, 2015
Middle of Nowhere
River Jordan said:
Then maybe you can do what no one else here can....give a definition of "information" that allows us to determine which of two genomes has the most "information".
I am afraid I do not quite understand the purpose of your challenge. Why do we need to determine which genome has more information?

Oh, and Meyer made the ridiculous argument that it's all too improbable to have happened "by chance". Well duh....no one is saying it was by chance. I'm pretty sure Meyer knows that, but he's counting on his readers not knowing.
I will need you to expand on this thought. When you say "no one" do you mean no one here or no one in general. Also, to you, what does the term "by chance" mean.

As a side note, and of no real importance, do we really need to devolve to schoolyard banter such as "well duh"?

Are you invoking the God of the Gaps fallacy?
I am not familiar with the term "God of the Gaps." Is this a reference to the gap theory?

See above. He's either so ignorant of the subject that he can be safely ignored, or he is little more than a con man.
I know nothing of this man other then what I have read in this quote and frankly, I have seen nothing "above" that would justify these remarks. The better I understand your comments, this view may change. Only time will tell.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
hopefuldivider said:
Why do we need to determine which genome has more information?
So let's look at what Wormwood posted.

"Scientists are discovering that a single cell is filled with information-rich molecules. DNA consists of chemical coding that runs quite similar to an extremely complex computer program."

Here we see the concept of DNA = information. Yet no definition of "information" is given, let alone any description of the difference between "information" and "complex information".

"The ONLY source we have ever discovered that can produce such complex information systems is an intelligent mind."

Without a definition for "information" or "complex information", there's no way anyone can say that. For example, a rock slide produces information, in the form of things like the relative sizes and shapes of the rocks. Is that "complex information"?

"It is simply impossible that such systems could develop by chance and natural processes."

It is? Why? Because one person says so? And again, who is proposing such systems "arose by chance"? Again, I dunno. Meyer makes the same errors when he says...

"the probability that even one of these information-rich molecules arose by chance, let alone the suite of such molecules necessary to maintain or build a minimally complex cell, is so small as to dwarf the probabilistic resources of the entire universe."

Notice anything missing? He's appealing to probability, but not providing any probability calculations. IOW, he's counting on his readers to just take his word for it.

I will need you to expand on this thought. When you say "no one" do you mean no one here or no one in general.
I mean when it comes to "natural explanations", i.e., science, no one in science is proposing that the first life forms arose by random chance.

Also, to you, what does the term "by chance" mean.
Remember, Meyer appealed to statistical probability, and in statistics "chance" means "random". But origins research is not based on things happening by random chance. Instead, it's a matter of chemistry, and we all know (at least everyone not named Stephen Meyer) that chemistry is entirely non-random. So either Meyer is astoundingly ignorant of this very basic fact, or he is deliberately misleading his readers.

As a side note, and of no real importance, do we really need to devolve to schoolyard banter such as "well duh"?
When it comes to these guys, I think so. IMO they're no different than the guys selling $20 Rolex watches on the sidewalk.

I am not familiar with the term "God of the Gaps." Is this a reference to the gap theory?
No, it's a logical fallacy where someone tries to argue something like "Science hasn't explained X, therefore God did it". It's as biologist Kenneth Miller put it...seeking God in the darkness of our ignorance, rather than the light of our discovery. You can read more here: God of the Gaps

hopefuldivider

Mar 12, 2015
Middle of Nowhere
River Jordan said:
So let's look at what Wormwood posted.

"Scientists are discovering that a single cell is filled with information-rich molecules. DNA consists of chemical coding that runs quite similar to an extremely complex computer program."

Here we see the concept of DNA = information. Yet no definition of "information" is given, let alone any description of the difference between "information" and "complex information".
I though this was what you were referring to but your comment on comparing genomes through me for a loop so I needed to be sure.

I do not know if I can give a very good definition for information. I can't even find a very good dictionary definition of it. The best I can say is that it is what is communicated and what matters in this case is what the smallest reasonable unit of information is in the given form of communication. In the case of computer communication it is ons and offs. In spoken English communication it is syllables, tones, and pause. In cellular communication, I would have to say that it is dna pairs.

"The ONLY source we have ever discovered that can produce such complex information systems is an intelligent mind."

Without a definition for "information" or "complex information", there's no way anyone can say that. For example, a rock slide produces information, in the form of things like the relative sizes and shapes of the rocks. Is that "complex information"?
The rock slide does not produce information though information can be produced from it. Information can only exist where communication takes place. As far as complexity goes, I believe that has to do with the interdependence of the units of information. Amount does equal complexity.

"It is simply impossible that such systems could develop by chance and natural processes."

It is? Why? Because one person says so? And again, who is proposing such systems "arose by chance"? Again, I dunno. Meyer makes the same errors when he says...

"the probability that even one of these information-rich molecules arose by chance, let alone the suite of such molecules necessary to maintain or build a minimally complex cell, is so small as to dwarf the probabilistic resources of the entire universe."

Notice anything missing? He's appealing to probability, but not providing any probability calculations. IOW, he's counting on his readers to just take his word for it.
I agree that this wording, in the strictest sense, is of little meaning, but then again, in the strictest sense nothing is impossible and all things come down to probability, but at some point the probability becomes so tiny that for all practical purposes it is impossible. The question is where that point lies and what information is necessary to show it. This gets into a whole philosophical argument that will lead nowhere unless we decide that it is subjective. In which case, for this person, that point was met, but for you it was not, either way you need to take this statement for what it is, not a dissertation or an apology but a person sharing brief thoughts with people of like mind. If you required more then what was given, you should have asked for it. Only then do you have the right to make such comments.

I love the old adage, 'lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.' All we have here is a quote from a book that, apparently, neither of us are familiar with. We do not know if said calculations are in any part of said book. It is thus unreasonable for us to speculate about this man's honesty or even thoroughness.

I mean when it comes to "natural explanations", i.e., science, no one in science is proposing that the first life forms arose by random chance.

Remember, Meyer appealed to statistical probability, and in statistics "chance" means "random". But origins research is not based on things happening by random chance. Instead, it's a matter of chemistry, and we all know (at least everyone not named Stephen Meyer) that chemistry is entirely non-random. So either Meyer is astoundingly ignorant of this very basic fact, or he is deliberately misleading his readers.
I am sure that it was not meant to discount the laws of chemistry and I feel that you probably already knew this. If I am wrong, I apologize.

When it comes to these guys, I think so. IMO they're no different than the guys selling $20 Rolex watches on the sidewalk.
You say this when you seem to know nothing about this man in general or this book in particular. That is hardly a reasonable judgment.

No, it's a logical fallacy where someone tries to argue something like "Science hasn't explained X, therefore God did it". It's as biologist Kenneth Miller put it...seeking God in the darkness of our ignorance, rather than the light of our discovery. You can read more here: God of the Gaps
Ah, I see. I was unfamiliar with this term. Thank you. Looking back at my reply, I can see how you might get that, but that is not what I do, or at least not that I can see, but then again forests and trees and all that. It is certainly a possible but never intentional.

A naturalistic explanation for the development and diversification of life on earth requires that a number of things have taken place, such as the development of cells from component molecules, the development of a process of reproduction, and the development of a system of cellular communication. To the best of my knowledge and thought processes, the probability of these things happening are so tiny that for all practice purposes they are impossible. No, I do not have the calculations to back this up, but in the real world, such judgments are rarely made on precise numbers.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
hopefuldivider said:
I do not know if I can give a very good definition for information. I can't even find a very good dictionary definition of it.
That's ok, it's pretty much my point. Creationists will make all sorts of claims about what evolution can or can't do in terms of "information", but they'll never give an actual useful definition of "information" that allows us to test their claims. IMO that's not a mistake on their part, but is deliberate obfuscation.

In cellular communication, I would have to say that it is dna pairs.
If that's so, then every creationist argument about "genetic information" is demonstrably false.

The rock slide does not produce information though information can be produced from it. Information can only exist where communication takes place.
No, the information is there regardless if anyone receives it. It's not like the information suddenly pops into existence as soon as we look.

As far as complexity goes, I believe that has to do with the interdependence of the units of information. Amount does equal complexity.
If so, then again that means all the creationist claims are wrong.

I agree that this wording, in the strictest sense, is of little meaning, but then again, in the strictest sense nothing is impossible and all things come down to probability, but at some point the probability becomes so tiny that for all practical purposes it is impossible.
Not really. For example, if you calculate the odds of me not only existing, but getting the exact sequence of numbers and letters that are on my drivers license, they're ridiculously small. I mean, think of all the events in the history of the universe that had to have lined up in order for me to be exist right now and have that drivers license number. According to what you've said, it can't happen, yet here I am with that number.

The question is where that point lies and what information is necessary to show it. This gets into a whole philosophical argument that will lead nowhere unless we decide that it is subjective. In which case, for this person, that point was met, but for you it was not, either way you need to take this statement for what it is, not a dissertation or an apology but a person sharing brief thoughts with people of like mind. If you required more then what was given, you should have asked for it. Only then do you have the right to make such comments.
I'm extremely familiar with the arguments put forth by Meyer and his ilk at the Discovery Institute.

I love the old adage, 'lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.' All we have here is a quote from a book that, apparently, neither of us are familiar with. We do not know if said calculations are in any part of said book. It is thus unreasonable for us to speculate about this man's honesty or even thoroughness.
I have read the book.

I am sure that it was not meant to discount the laws of chemistry and I feel that you probably already knew this. If I am wrong, I apologize.
What makes you so sure? And whether Meyer meant to discount the chemical properties of the elements, or whether it was just an oversight on his part is irrelevant. Either way, he's still very, very wrong on a level so basic, it calls his integrity and/or knowledge of the subject matter into question.

You say this when you seem to know nothing about this man in general or this book in particular. That is hardly a reasonable judgment.
Again, don't assume. I'm very familiar with this material.

Ah, I see. I was unfamiliar with this term. Thank you. Looking back at my reply, I can see how you might get that, but that is not what I do, or at least not that I can see, but then again forests and trees and all that. It is certainly a possible but never intentional.
Fair enough. :)

A naturalistic explanation for the development and diversification of life on earth requires that a number of things have taken place, such as the development of cells from component molecules, the development of a process of reproduction, and the development of a system of cellular communication. To the best of my knowledge and thought processes, the probability of these things happening are so tiny that for all practice purposes they are impossible. No, I do not have the calculations to back this up, but in the real world, such judgments are rarely made on precise numbers.
That sounds an awful lot like the fallacy of argument from ignorance to me. Just because something seems improbable to you, that doesn't therefore mean it can't ever happen.

hopefuldivider

Mar 12, 2015
Middle of Nowhere
River Jordan said:
That's ok, it's pretty much my point. Creationists will make all sorts of claims about what evolution can or can't do in terms of "information", but they'll never give an actual useful definition of "information" that allows us to test their claims. IMO that's not a mistake on their part, but is deliberate obfuscation.
It seems to me that you are being a bit cynical on this point. I am a creationist, a young earth creationist at that matter (though I am not dogmatic on this point), and I would never do such a thing deliberately. On the other hand, I am always making mistakes.

If that's so, then every creationist argument about "genetic information" is demonstrably false.
You will have to do a little better then a simple conclusion. How do you reach this conclusion?

No, the information is there regardless if anyone receives it. It's not like the information suddenly pops into existence as soon as we look.
I must disagree. Existence does not equate to information. Information, at it's root, implies that the act of informing is going on, thus the integral aspect of communication. Now this does not inherently imply intelligence. Take for example the bright colors of certain South American frogs. This communicates to predators that the frog is to be avoided. Communication takes place all the time in nature, without intelligence. The question is whether very complex information can exist without intelligence or not and at what point we can call it very complex.

If so, then again that means all the creationist claims are wrong.
I point back to my earlier comment , I will need a bit more information.

Not really. For example, if you calculate the odds of me not only existing, but getting the exact sequence of numbers and letters that are on my drivers license, they're ridiculously small. I mean, think of all the events in the history of the universe that had to have lined up in order for me to be exist right now and have that drivers license number. According to what you've said, it can't happen, yet here I am with that number.
I would like to point out my use of the words "for all practical purposes". Is it possible that I will be mauled by a rabid dog if I leave my home tomorrow? Of course, and yet I will walk out. The chances are so remote that "for all practical purposes" it isn't going to happen. I never meant to imply a real impossibility. In science there is no real impossibilities, only probabilities.

I would also point out that your opponents would argue that this situation is in fact impossible aside from intelligent intervention. I wouldn't put it that way, but many would.

I'm extremely familiar with the arguments put forth by Meyer and his ilk at the Discovery Institute.
I have read the book.
I am sorry, I misunderstood your comments. I assume then that you claim that such calculations are not provided anywhere in this book? If this is the case then this book does indeed have shortcomings. As I am unfamiliar with his works I cannot enter into a discussion of their merits.

Also, I must once again protest your use of inappropriate comments. Name calling, even if deserved, is not conducive to an open and frank discussion of any topic and only serves to unwarrantedly bias participants or inflame them. I would hope that we could all avoid such language.

What makes you so sure? And whether Meyer meant to discount the chemical properties of the elements, or whether it was just an oversight on his part is irrelevant. Either way, he's still very, very wrong on a level so basic, it calls his integrity and/or knowledge of the subject matter into question.
I know that I would never do so, at least not intentionally, and I do not count myself any more intelligent or thoughtful then any other person I may encounter. Beyond that, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I am, as of yet, not convinced that the chemical properties of the elements would significantly increase the odds in this situation, so I do not see what the big difference is here. Like Meyer and his calculations, here you need to provide something to support your claim.

Again, don't assume. I'm very familiar with this material.
You may well be very familiar with this material, but I am not and I cannot simply take your word for it. This would truly be blind faith, something that does not sit well with me.

That sounds an awful lot like the fallacy of argument from ignorance to me. Just because something seems improbable to you, that doesn't therefore mean it can't ever happen.
Far from it. I am talking about the probability of any of these things actually happening. Mind you, I am not up on the latest in the fields of chemistry and physics, but based on my limited knowledge, the probability of these events (as well as others) are so small that "for all practical purposes" the house of cards that depends on them is impossible.

By your last remark, nothing can ever be discounted in science, because all of science is based on probabilities. The flat earth, the hollow earth, the geocentric universe and so much more must all be viable hypotheses in your world.

When a coin is flipped 5,000,000 times, there is a very real possibility that each time the coin will land on heads, but for all practical purposes it wont. Likewise, it is a very real possibility that each time an experiment is performed that there is an error that leads to the same erroneous result. And yet we safely say that a geocentric universe is not a possibility and a liquid core of the earth is not possible. Science is not based on certainties but probabilities. The question is, at what point does the probability become so small that the possibility is dismissed. This is a very complex question, made worse by the fact that even people that depend so heavily on precise numbers and calculation, very rarely answer this question quantitatively, or for that matter consciously.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
River, you are speaking from complete ignorance...again. First, you obviously haven't read the book so you are off shooting first and asking questions later...yet again. Meyer goes into great detail to explain types of information and how we assess what "information" is and how it can be classified as "complex." He goes into great detail into "information theory" and the work by MIT engineer Claude Shannon. He goes into great detail explaining how mathematicians differentiate "specified information" or "functional information" from "information-carrying capacity." Charles Thaxton said that the treatment of DNA and English text is "mathematically identical." Hubert Yockey said, "The genetic code is constructed to confront and solve the problems of communication and recording by the same principles found...in modern communication and computer codes."

Im not going to go through the intricacies of his argument because you clearly despise the man and I know it will make no difference with you anyway. However, if you want to compare a rockslide with binary programming or the words I am writing you currently, go ahead. Nevertheless, mathematicians have elaborated on ways by which information can be distinguished and qualified by both amount of information and "complexity" of information. If you are unaware of such notions, I suggest you do some more reading on the subject before you start accusing people of misrepresenting their position. Just because I don't go into the intricacies to explain the finer details of every adjective I use does not mean they are baseless. Why don't you ask a question before claiming my comments are misrepresentative?

Actually you are making grand assumptions again without any knowledge of the source I was quoting. Meyer goes into great detail about the work of Wistar scientists, the work of biochemist Robert Sauer, physicist Bret Van de Sande, computer scientist Seth Lloyd, and his own personal work with a Ph.D in mathematics from the University of Chicago, William Dembski. But by all means, lets just label the guy a liar and exaggerator who throws meaningless numbers around to mislead his readers. You are really something. For someone who is always arguing for reason and against blind allegiance to a presupposition, you sure don't practice what you preach.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
hopefuldivider said:
It seems to me that you are being a bit cynical on this point. I am a creationist, a young earth creationist at that matter (though I am not dogmatic on this point), and I would never do such a thing deliberately. On the other hand, I am always making mistakes.
I am cynical, and that's because of my experience with this subject. I've seen the exchanges between scientists and creationists (the ones who work at creationist organizations) and seen how the creationists respond to being corrected on extremely simple things. From this experience, there's no doubt in my mind about these professional creationists.

You will have to do a little better then a simple conclusion. How do you reach this conclusion?
If, as you say, nucleotide pairs constitute "genetic information", then the creationist argument that evolution cannot created "genetic information" is demonstrably wrong. Not only that, but the fundamental argument of "information only comes from intelligence" is equally wrong. The observation of evolution generating new nucleotide sequences is so common, it's a regular BIO 101 undergrad experiment.

I must disagree. Existence does not equate to information. Information, at it's root, implies that the act of informing is going on, thus the integral aspect of communication. Now this does not inherently imply intelligence. Take for example the bright colors of certain South American frogs. This communicates to predators that the frog is to be avoided. Communication takes place all the time in nature, without intelligence.
Then you disagree with Meyer and the other creationists who absolutely insist that without intelligence, there cannot be information.

The question is whether very complex information can exist without intelligence or not and at what point we can call it very complex.
In order to text that claim, creationists would have to define the terms and identify the point you speak of. Until they do that, they have no argument.

I point back to my earlier comment , I will need a bit more information.
If, as you say, amount = complexity, then once again we have falsified another creationist argument. Since they insist that evolution can't increase the amount of "genetic information", if nucleotide pairs = genetic information, and greater amounts of information/nucleotide pairs = complexity, then the argument is easily demonstrated to be false by simple lab experiments (as well as observations in nature).

I would like to point out my use of the words "for all practical purposes". Is it possible that I will be mauled by a rabid dog if I leave my home tomorrow? Of course, and yet I will walk out. The chances are so remote that "for all practical purposes" it isn't going to happen. I never meant to imply a real impossibility. In science there is no real impossibilities, only probabilities.
And saying "that's too improbable to have happened" isn't scientific.

I would also point out that your opponents would argue that this situation is in fact impossible aside from intelligent intervention. I wouldn't put it that way, but many would.
They have to, they have no choice. That's why creationism isn't scientific...it is beholden to a pre-determined set of conclusions that cannot ever be changed. That is the opposite of science.

I am sorry, I misunderstood your comments. I assume then that you claim that such calculations are not provided anywhere in this book? If this is the case then this book does indeed have shortcomings. As I am unfamiliar with his works I cannot enter into a discussion of their merits.
It's been a while since I've read the book, but he may have included some calculations in there. I seem to recall something about amino acid sequences and such. But what I do remember is laughing at this argument because, as I said, he's evaluating a straw man of science. He bases his entire argument on things occurring "by random chance", which as I pointed out, isn't how things happen. For example, if we take a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and spark it, we get mostly water. We can repeat this countless times and we'll always get the same result...mostly water. Is that the result of "random chance"? No, it's the result of the inherent properties of the atoms that makes them interact in entirely non-random ways.

Also, I must once again protest your use of inappropriate comments. Name calling, even if deserved, is not conducive to an open and frank discussion of any topic and only serves to unwarrantedly bias participants or inflame them. I would hope that we could all avoid such language.
Fair enough.

I am, as of yet, not convinced that the chemical properties of the elements would significantly increase the odds in this situation, so I do not see what the big difference is here. Like Meyer and his calculations, here you need to provide something to support your claim.
See above. I mean, the entire field of synthetic chemistry is based on the knowledge that atoms and molecules don't behave randomly, but behave in predicable, non-random ways.

You may well be very familiar with this material, but I am not and I cannot simply take your word for it. This would truly be blind faith, something that does not sit well with me.
Then if you're interested, I urge you to study the subject from both sides and be sure to get your science from actual scientists rather than from creationist organizations.

Far from it. I am talking about the probability of any of these things actually happening. Mind you, I am not up on the latest in the fields of chemistry and physics, but based on my limited knowledge, the probability of these events (as well as others) are so small that "for all practical purposes" the house of cards that depends on them is impossible.
That is the argument from ignorance. "I don't know much about it, but it seems impossible to me."

By your last remark, nothing can ever be discounted in science, because all of science is based on probabilities. The flat earth, the hollow earth, the geocentric universe and so much more must all be viable hypotheses in your world.

We evaluate such things by going out and looking and collecting data. We don't determine the validity of a flat earth by calculating its probability.

And yet we safely say that a geocentric universe is not a possibility and a liquid core of the earth is not possible. Science is not based on certainties but probabilities.
Again, we don't determine the makeup of the earth's core via probability calculations. We collect data, form hypotheses, and then evaluate them against the data. The hypothesis that best explains the data wins.

The question is, at what point does the probability become so small that the possibility is dismissed. This is a very complex question, made worse by the fact that even people that depend so heavily on precise numbers and calculation, very rarely answer this question quantitatively, or for that matter consciously.
Honestly, it's not something we really do in the natural sciences.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wormwood: "Meyer goes into great detail to explain types of information and how we assess what "information" is and how it can be classified as "complex." He goes into great detail into "information theory" and the work by MIT engineer Claude Shannon. He goes into great detail explaining how mathematicians differentiate "specified information" or "functional information" from "information-carrying capacity." Charles Thaxton said that the treatment of DNA and English text is "mathematically identical." Hubert Yockey said, "The genetic code is constructed to confront and solve the problems of communication and recording by the same principles found...in modern communication and computer codes."

Right, he spends a lot of the book going on and on about "information", but he never once defines "genetic information" or provides a means to measure it. If you think he did, then post it. Otherwise there's nothing to discuss.

WW: "Im not going to go through the intricacies of his argument because you clearly despise the man and I know it will make no difference with you anyway. However, if you want to compare a rockslide with binary programming or the words I am writing you currently, go ahead. Nevertheless, mathematicians have elaborated on ways by which information can be distinguished and qualified by both amount of information and "complexity" of information. If you are unaware of such notions, I suggest you do some more reading on the subject before you start accusing people of misrepresenting their position. Just because I don't go into the intricacies to explain the finer details of every adjective I use does not mean they are baseless. Why don't you ask a question before claiming my comments are misrepresentative?"

I'm quite aware that there is all sorts of work on "information". That's not the issue here. The issue is, creationists like Meyer make all sorts of claims about evolution and "genetic information", yet none of them have managed to provide a definition for the term or a means to measure it. We've been over this and none of the creationists here could find one either (and I'm sure you all tried).

What amazes me is how that doesn't seem to strike you as problematic. Here you guys have hitched your wagon to these creationists to the point where you've internalized their arguments and repeat them in forums like this. But all it takes is one simple question....what is "genetic information" and how are you measuring it...to throw you into a tizzy. If that were me, it would set off very loud alarm bells and tell me "something's wrong here". But it doesn't seem to even phase you at all. Go figure.

WW: "Actually you are making grand assumptions again without any knowledge of the source I was quoting. Meyer goes into great detail about the work of Wistar scientists, the work of biochemist Robert Sauer, physicist Bret Van de Sande, computer scientist Seth Lloyd, and his own personal work with a Ph.D in mathematics from the University of Chicago, William Dembski."

So? Does that mean he's automatically correct or something? Did he just dazzle you with names?

WW: "But by all means, lets just label the guy a liar and exaggerator who throws meaningless numbers around to mislead his readers. You are really something. For someone who is always arguing for reason and against blind allegiance to a presupposition, you sure don't practice what you preach."

Notice anything lacking in your post? Any sort of response to the actual scientific questions at hand! Where's the definition of "genetic information" and the means to measure it? Why is Meyer calculating the odds of things happening by "random chance" when neither chemistry nor evolution operates that way?

Seems to me like you're the one focused entirely on the personal aspects of the issue, while completely ignoring the core scientific questions.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, he spends a lot of the book going on and on about "information", but he never once defines "genetic information" or provides a means to measure it. If you think he did, then post it. Otherwise there's nothing to discuss.
Why do you make such accusations about something you have zero knowledge on? Why do you think he talks about how information is understood and catergorized in the book if not to talk about genetic information and our understanding of DNA? That is kind of the entire point. You are too quick to assume things, River.

So what kind of information does DNA contain, Shannon information or specified information? Mere complexity or specified complexity? The answer is— both. First, DNA certainly does have a quantifiable amount of information-carrying capacity as measured by Shannon’s theory. Since DNA contains the assembly instructions for building proteins, the gene-expression system of the cell functions as a communication channel. Further, the nucleotide bases function as alphabetic characters within that system. This enables scientists to calculate the information-carrying capacity of DNA using Shannon’s equations . Since, at any given site along the DNA backbone, any one of four nucleotide bases may occur with equal ease, the probability of the occurrence of a specific nucleotide at that site equals 1/ 4. For the occurrence of two particular nucleotide bases, the odds are 1/ 4 × 1/ 4. For three , 1/ 4 × 1/ 4 × 1/ 4, or 1/ 64, or (1/ 4), 3 and so on. 31 The information -carrying capacity of a sequence of a specific length n can then be calculated using Shannon’s familiar expression (I =–log2p) once one computes a probability value (p) for the occurrence of a particular sequence n nucleotides long where p = (1/ 4) n. The p value thus yields a corresponding measure of information-carrying capacity or syntactic information for a sequence of n nucleotide bases. Just as mathematicians and engineers can apply Shannon’s theory to analyze a written text, a cryptographic transmission, or a section of software, mathematical biologists can apply the theory to analyze the information-carrying capacity of a DNA, RNA, or protein molecule. That is what Charles Thaxton meant when he told me in Dallas in 1985 that the treatment of DNA and English text is “mathematically identical.” Both systems of symbols or characters can be analyzed the same way. As I write this sentence, the placement of each additional letter eliminates twenty-five other possible letters and a corresponding amount of uncertainty. It, therefore, increases the information of the sentence by a quantifiable amount as measured by Shannon’s theory . Similarly, at each site along the DNA molecule any one of the four bases is possible. Thus, the placement or presence of any one of the bases eliminates uncertainty and conveys a quantifiable amount of information according to Shannon’s theory.

Is this significant? In several ways, it is. It is certainly remarkable that DNA can carry or encode information using chemical subunits that function as alphabetic characters. It is also remarkable that DNA forms part of a communication channel that can be analyzed so readily using the mathematical tools of Shannon’s information theory. Further, scientists have applied Shannon’s information theory to generate quantitative measures of the information-carrying capacity (or brute complexity) of DNA sequences and their corresponding proteins. These analyses have shown that these molecules are highly complex, and quantifiably so. DNA, RNA, and proteins have a tremendous capacity , at least, to store and transmit information. Nevertheless, the ease with which information theory applies to molecular biology has also created some confusion . The sequences of nucleotide bases in DNA and the sequences of amino acids in proteins are highly improbable and, therefore, have large information-carrying capacities. Knowing this, some scientists have mistakenly described DNA and proteins as if they contained only Shannon information or possessed mere information-carrying capacity.
Meyer, Stephen C. (2009-06-06). Signature in the Cell (pp. 108-109). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.
Its hard to summarize the depth of what he says in just a single quote. He is continually expounding on the topic in a logical progression from the understanding of information, the function of DNA and back and forth correlations between information systems and DNA processes and functions. Its not as easy as taking a little quote to summarize the material. Its not that kind of book. This is just a small snippet to give you the idea, not a summary of the entire discussion. I assure you that not only does he tackle the issue, but does so in great detail and with plenty of validating resources. Obviously you havent read the book since you claim he doesnt address it. Anyway, I just cannot get you River. As a Christian, I would think you would be less quick to attack, discredit and accuse people....especially when they are highlighting the incredible work of God as displayed through the exquisite complexity of living things. It just comes across as bitter. The guy has a PhD in philosophy of science from Cambridge and is a former geophysicist and college professor that taught on this very subject. Maybe you can pretend the guy might know a thing or two before asserting yourself as more knowledgeable on the subject than he is, or that all his claims are entirely baseless.

I'm quite aware that there is all sorts of work on "information". That's not the issue here. The issue is, creationists like Meyer make all sorts of claims about evolution and "genetic information", yet none of them have managed to provide a definition for the term or a means to measure it. We've been over this and none of the creationists here could find one either (and I'm sure you all tried).
You need to break out of your cookie-cutter approach to dealing with this issue. Clearly information is quantifiable and it is quantifiable in DNA. This is nothing more than a means of obfuscating the discussion. "Well he cant define information or complexity, therefore he's making things up." Actually he spends about 100 pages defining both but it doesn't fit your cookie cutter argument that you learned to dismiss all intelligent design claims with a magic wave of your "define information" response.

But all it takes is one simple question....what is "genetic information" and how are you measuring it...to throw you into a tizzy.
What throws me in a "tizzy" (whatever that may be, I don't feel overly emotional or befuddled in my conversations with you if that is what you mean. I have never found you to be overly even-handed in your discussions...so I am used to these wild accusations and knee-jerk reactions), if I am in a "tizzy" is that you claim to be a Christian but are also quick to make accusations and throw labels at people that you have never met or whose information you have clearly never explored yourself. You are just like the creationists you despise in doing no real exploration of the material in question from this author, but are quick to take some argument you heard from a book, article or website and forever dismiss any and all arguments that you feel are captured in that same topic. You have already made up your mind, yet you just don't know anything about what this author asserts..and claim you do. All the while you attack my writing for being unfounded. In sum, its your approach and attitude, not your arguments, that create the "tizzy." Although I would classify it more as "whateva" and going about my way. I had determined to just ignore your comments because there just seems to be no point in conversing with you. However, for the sake of others reading, I thought I should at least defend the author against your claims that he doesn't address these topics and is making baseless stats and claims.

Notice anything lacking in your post? Any sort of response to the actual scientific questions at hand!
I didn't notice you posting any scientific questions. I only saw accusations about what the author was assuming or ignorant of which I refuted and claimed he did address it. Which I have done yet again in further detail.