Abortion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe someone can be Christian and support / defend aborting millions of unborn babies?

• Yes

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 89.3%

• Total voters

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that there are times when an abortion is morally acceptable to God. However, the practice of healthy women aborting healthy babies is a hideous act.

Reactions: Jack

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that there are times when an abortion is morally acceptable to God. However, the practice of healthy women aborting healthy babies is a hideous act.
In any case, not every baby will survive to full-term, thanks to a world fallen in sin. (FWIW, not sure that God would say such is "acceptable.")

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In any case, not every baby will survive to full-term, thanks to a world fallen in sin. (FWIW, not sure that God would say such is "acceptable.")
Of course every BABY will survive to full term, because if they are a BABY, the they have already been born!! Not sure what that has to do with abortion other than the fact that anti-abortionists have a problem merely understanding simple English and have never read the Bible.

Last edited:

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course every BABY will survive to full term, because if they are a BABY, the they have already been born!!
Incorrect:
For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. (Luke 1:41)

"...if they are a baby, they" can be either:
  1. an unborn child, embryo, a foetus; or
  2. a new-born child, an infant, a babe
Not sure what that has to do with abortion other than the fact that anti-abortionists have a problem merely understanding simple English...
And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost: (Luke 1:44)

...and have never read the Bible.
Indeed.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Doctrox, but the baby being carried in Elizabeth’s womb was not about to be a newborn infant. He was already 900 years old, Elijah incarnate, who was going to serve during his brief presence on earth under the name “John the Baptist” who was here to prepare the way for one coming under the name “Jesus”, God incarnate.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doctrox, but the baby being carried in Elizabeth’s womb was not about to be a newborn infant. He was already 900 years old, Elijah incarnate, who was going to serve during his brief presence on earth under the name “John the Baptist” who was here to prepare the way for one coming under the name “Jesus”, God incarnate.
I don't see anything in the Bible about John the Baptist being Elijah incarnate.

Elijah was Elijah incarnate.

Unless "incarnate" means "in the spirit and power of" (Luke 1:17).

Reactions: Stan B

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't see anything in the Bible about John the Baptist being Elijah incarnate.

Elijah was Elijah incarnate.

Unless "incarnate" means "in the spirit and power of" (Luke 1:17).
Jesus told His disciples Elijah had come under the name John the Baptist, but told them to tell no one until His own death and resurrection:

The Transfiguration
“…11Jesus replied, “Elijah does indeed come, and he will restore all things. 12ButI tell you that Elijah has already come,and they did not recognize him, but have done to him whatever they wished. In the same way, the Son of Man will suffer at their hands.” 13Then the disciples understood that He was speaking to them about John the Baptist.…” Matt 17

If the people realized that realized that John was actually Elijah, the one prophesied by Malachi, then Jesus’ purpose for coming would be jeopardized; they would have believed that Jesus was actually the Messiah.

Just like Jesus in s previous Incarnation when He visited Abraham, He came under the name Melchizedek.

As you mention, the conception contained in Elizabeth’s womb was extremely unique, being filled with the Holy Spirit as well as the spirit and power of Elijah. Who other than Elijah could have the spirit of Elijah. Our personhood is our spirit.

Some unusual miracles taking place with the conceptions of Elizabeth and Mary.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John certainly was not Elijah!

John 1
21 And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not."

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who other than Elijah could have the spirit of Elijah.
Luk 1:5-17 KJV 5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. 6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless. 7 And they had no child, because that Elisabeth was barren, and they both were now well stricken in years. 8 And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course, 9 According to the custom of the priest's office, his lot was to burn incense when he went into the temple of the Lord. 10 And the whole multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense. 11 And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense. 12 And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him. 13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. 14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. 15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. 16 And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God. 17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

Reactions: Stan B

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John certainly was not Elijah!

John 1
You are right, he was no longer Elijah because God had given Elijah a new name. Similar to a number of instances in history where God gave people a new name, such as Abraham:

“No longer will you be called Abram but your name will be Abraham for I have made you a father of many nations.

So if he was asked if he was Abraham, the correct answer would be no. He was no longer Abraham but Abram. Same with Elijah whose name God had designated as John.

Nevertheless, when Jesus was talking about Elijah, they knew He was talking about John the Baptist.

Not all that difficult to understand God’s way of doing things when they are familiar with Scripture.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right, he was no longer Elijah because God had given Elijah a new name. Similar to a number of instances in history where God gave people a new name, such as Abraham:

“No longer will you be called Abram but your name will be Abraham for I have made you a father of many nations.

So if he was asked if he was Abraham, the correct answer would be no. He was no longer Abraham but Abram. Same with Elijah whose name God had designated as John.

Nevertheless, when Jesus was talking about Elijah, they knew He was talking about John the Baptist.

Not all that difficult to understand God’s way of doing things when they are familiar with Scripture.
John was never Elijah. Nice fairy tale. I'll believe John. Are you preaching reincarnation?

John 1

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Jack. I do believe someone can be Christian and still support abortion.
I agree, it is certainly possible for new Christians to support abortion in ignorance. But those obsessed with killing or eating babies are not Christians.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am fairly familiar with Scripture but I do not understand re-incarnation as being any part of God's way of doing things.

John the Baptist came to public ministry in the spirit and power like unto that of Elijah, and Christ was made an High Priest after the order of Melchizedek, just as the Bible says. No mysticism (especially as fodder for any tangential, post-modern ideology) is necessary.

We've come a long way from the subject of an unborn child being every bit as human as a newborn, just as Luke, the physician under the influence of the Holy Ghost indicated when he called them both "brephos" in chapters 1 & 2 of his Gospel account.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am fairly familiar with Scripture but I do not understand re-incarnation as being any part of God's way of doing things.
I don't know anything about re-incarnation either. Anyway, I was talking about incarnation! That is the process by which Elijah and Jesus were brought to earth from Heaven. Jesus was incarnated:

... . By sending his own Son in the form of humanity, he condemned sin by being incarnate, For God achieved what the law could not do because it was weakened through the flesh ...Romans 8:3

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know anything about re-incarnation either. Anyway, I was talking about incarnation! That is the process by which Elijah and Jesus were brought to earth from Heaven. Jesus was incarnated:

... . By sending his own Son in the form of humanity, he condemned sin by being incarnate, For God achieved what the law could not do because it was weakened through the flesh ...Romans 8:3
You have said what you have said.

Always a pleasure, Stan.

Last edited: