about Praying in Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said one of the signs that follow true believers is that "they shall speak with new tongues" (Mark 16:17-18)

The Lord said thru Paul that "he that speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not unto men, but unto God: for no man understands him" (1 Corinthians 14:2) which is clearly telling us that speaking in tongues privately unto the Lord is not a language known to mankind so it is not any language spoken by men here on earth. (speaking in tongues in a public setting where another interprets is what not all do)

So, my question for those that don't accept all the Word of the Lord says on the subject of tongues and instead claim that tongues is speaking in another language known to man as we saw on the Day of Pentecost....

What are you doing about what Jesus said in Mark 16:17-18 ? clueless-scratching.gif

Are you busy learning another language? If not, then why not?

Jesus did in fact say real believers would speak in new tongues!

Reactions: amadeus

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Word of the Lord says, "Make yourself an ark of gopherwood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and outside with pitch." Does that mean we should all get busy making arks? It's not only a matter of what the word says but correctly understanding it. You won't get much argument over what the word says, but only different understandings.

You can't just "learn" a spiritual gift. The Holy Spirit gives gifts as He pleases; and not everyone has the same spiritual gifts. So accusing people of not working hard enough to obtain something only God can give is ridiculous.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point is many are falsely taught that speaking in tongues is always speaking in another known language as we see on the Day of Pentecost and that's not the case.

So if one thinks this is the case, then they need to do something concerning what Jesus said in Mark 16:17-18 - "they shall speak with new tongues"

• Haha
Reactions: The Learner

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You falsely stated "real believers" would speak with new tongues. That's not what scripture teaches. Some would, not everyone.
Amen!!

1 Corinthians 14

New King James Version

Prophecy and Tongues​

14 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; [a]for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

Reactions: Lambano

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said one of the signs that follow true believers is that "they shall speak with new tongues" (Mark 16:17-18)

The Lord said thru Paul that "he that speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not unto men, but unto God: for no man understands him" (1 Corinthians 14:2) which is clearly telling us that speaking in tongues privately unto the Lord is not a language known to mankind so it is not any language spoken by men here on earth. (speaking in tongues in a public setting where another interprets is what not all do)

So, my question for those that don't accept all the Word of the Lord says on the subject of tongues and instead claim that tongues is speaking in another language known to man as we saw on the Day of Pentecost....

What are you doing about what Jesus said in Mark 16:17-18 ? View attachment 45483

Are you busy learning another language? If not, then why not?

Jesus did in fact say real believers would speak in new tongues!
If I want to talk to the Lord, I just talk to him.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You falsely stated "real believers" would speak with new tongues. That's not what scripture teaches. Some would, not everyone.

Sadly you discount and disrespect what Jesus said.

Jesus said "these signs shall follow them that believe . . . they shall speak with new tongues" which is reference to those that are actual believers, as in real believers, as in true believers.

Point being, many have been deceived in to rejecting what Jesus said in Mark 16:17-18 which is a tactical move by the devil that greatly benefits the kingdom of darkness.

The devil also deceived most Christians in to not believing Christians would cast out devils too which is another tactical move by satan that benefits his kingdom. The devil is able to easily do this because most "christians" don't accept all the Lord says in His Word.

It's unfortunate for them that they treat God's Word like a lunch buffet line... they reject meat and remain on cold milk

If I want to talk to the Lord, I just talk to him.

And speaking in a known language allows the devil to know all of your concerns so he can counter and attack you in your weakest areas.

It's like in WW2 when the US military was able to crack codes of the enemies communication so we can know all the moves they are planning so we could counter them and attack them in the most effective way to ensure their are defeated.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians Chapter 12 verses 4-11 said:
4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. 6 There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. 7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

Not everybody gets the same spiritual gifts. We're here to use our individual gifts to edify one another. There's enough tinkling cymbals in this world as it is.

1-corinthians-13-1-2.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everybody gets the same spiritual gifts

Based on what Jesus teaches us in Mark 16:17-18, there are some things intended for all real believers.

Obviously the issue is some claiming to be christians aren't really Christians because they refuse to accept all God's Word

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sadly you discount and disrespect what Jesus said.

Jesus said "these signs shall follow them that believe . . . they shall speak with new tongues" which is reference to those that are actual believers, as in real believers, as in true believers.

Point being, many have been deceived in to rejecting what Jesus said in Mark 16:17-18 which is a tactical move by the devil that greatly benefits the kingdom of darkness.

The devil also deceived most Christians in to not believing Christians would cast out devils too which is another tactical move by satan that benefits his kingdom. The devil is able to easily do this because most "christians" don't accept all the Lord says in His Word.

It's unfortunate for them that they treat God's Word like a lunch buffet line... they reject meat and remain on cold milk

And speaking in a known language allows the devil to know all of your concerns so he can counter and attack you in your weakest areas.

It's like in WW2 when the US military was able to crack codes of the enemies communication so we can know all the moves they are planning so we could counter them and attack them in the most effective way to ensure their are defeated.
We're supposed to always be in prayer (1 Thessalonians 5:17). It doesn't bother me that Satan knows what I am saying to the Lord.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:17-18 said:
17 These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not harm them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

abc_jamie_coots_ll_131121_16x9_992.jpg

Never been to one of these services.

Last edited:

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're supposed to always be in prayer (1 Thessalonians 5:17). It doesn't bother me that Satan knows what I am saying to the Lord.

That explains a lot, really. Thanks for sharing

Never been to one of these services.

"they will pick up serpents" is a fake and erroneous translation as the Lord never said to pick up snake.

The Lord says we are to move serpents out of the way speaking of the demonites and deviltes (demons and devils)

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said "these signs shall follow them that believe . . . they shall speak with new tongues"

Why do so many reject what Jesus said in Mark 16:17-18 ??? clueless-scratching.gif

The devil tricked them which is easy for him to do since most that claim to be Christians don't accept all of God's Word.!

Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Groanings - from G4726, which comes from G4726 (Strong's Greek Concordance) to sigh, murmur, pray inaudibly: KJV -- with grief, groan, grudge, sigh. Inarticulate speech, or speech that is not in any known language to man

(In 1 Corinthians 13:1, Paul speaks of talking in the tongues of angels - a supernatural language)

1 Corinthians 14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1 Corinthians 14:2 is speaking of our personal prayer language, which is something we do in our prayer closet and not in public. Some have the gift of speaking a tongue in a public meeting for interpretation by another but should NOT be doing so if no interpreter is present.

1 Corinthians 12:10
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

This is speaking of different kinds of tongues and that some have the gift of interpretation of tongues. Not all have the gift of speaking in tongues for interpretation in a public setting like a church service... but that does not mean all don't have the gift of tongues for their private prayer life in their prayer closet between themselves and the Lord.

1 Corinthians 14:39
Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Jude 1:20
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost

1 Corinthians 14:18
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all

Paul is indicating here that ALL should speak in tongues referring to personal prayer since not all pray in tongues in a public setting where an interpreter is present.

Isaiah 28:11,12
For with stammering lips and another tongue He will speak to this people, To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

There is a rest and knowledge that comes thru speaking in tongues
(the knowledge received has to agree with God's written Word, otherwise it's not the Holy Spirit speaking)

1 Corinthians 14:22
Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord says we are to move serpents out of the way speaking of the demonites and deviltes (demons and devils)
Nope. It says ὄφεις ἀροῦσιν. Opheis. Snakes. Not Daimones, demons. Not Diabolos, devils. Lift up snakes. Don't change what the Bible CLEARLY says.

1nrhl2.jpg

Now, would you prefer rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, or copperheads?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prairie-Rattlesnake.webp

Colorado has these guys, though I never saw one when lived there. Buddy of mine in Longmont saw one, though.

Here we have copperheads. One of them fought a losing battle with my lawnmower.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope. It says ὄφεις ἀροῦσιν. Opheis. Snakes. Not Daimones, demons. Not Diabolos, devils. Lift up snakes. Don't change what the Bible CLEARLY says.

Error is as error does - This would be tempting God to pick up poisonous snakes which is sinful behavior so we know this is NOT what Jesus is telling you to do. You might want to quit picking up poisonous snakes

We know it's speaking of the devil because in Genesis the devil is called a serpent

Can we assume you are also drinking poison as well?

Matthew 4:7
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

If you were Spirit filled you would know Jesus is not telling anybody to play with snakes and drink poison

Since your church believes in playing with snakes, WHY don't they drink poison too???

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Error is as error does - This would be tempting God to pick up poisonous snakes which is sinful behavior so we know this is NOT what Jesus is telling you to do. You might want to quit picking up poisonous snakes
Wonder why it says they will lift up snakes? Or “they will pick up serpents”?
Reminds me of : Numbers 21:7-9 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against you; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people. [8] And the LORD said unto Moses, Make you a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looks upon it, shall live. [9] And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

I’m not touching a snake unless I do have a pole. o_O Let’s be truthful. I probably wouldn’t come near a snake even with a pole!

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wonder why it says they will lift up snakes? Or “they will pick up serpents”?
I’m not touching a snake unless I do have a pole. o_O Let’s be truthful. I probably wouldn’t come near a snake even with a pole!

Since you believe Jesus is actually telling people to pick up snakes and handle them, and then you refuse to do so, you are then admitting that you are openly rejecting the Word of the Lord and are refusing to obey Him then???

Nope. There is no contextual warrant in Mark to indicate that cross-reference.

Your personal opinion makes God's Word of no effect where you're life is concerned.

Numerous times in scripture satan is referred to as a serpent, but some like to play games with scripture since they don't take the Word of the Lord seriously.

If you were Spirit filled you wouldn't be sloshing thru the mud and mire of dark understanding. Sounds like you are enjoying this sort of thing so enjoy the unexpected ending that this will bring you.

Status
Not open for further replies.