Advice on praying

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sara

Nov 11, 2007
Hi guys!
smile.gif
Hope you're all well. I am looking a wee bit of advice here. Hope you all can help.:pray3: I am wanting to follow God's laws and have him guide me for the rest of my life. I had thought of praying to our Lord and asking him for forgiveness, and asking him to help me reject sin. But I don't know where to start or even how to pray.:study: Also, (I hope I am not asking too much here) I am trying to learn more about God and our Lord Jesus by studying my bible. Would any of you know of any sites (or any practical advice) on how to study my bible with great effect?I am hoping this makes sense. If it doesn't just tell me and I'll try my best to explain a bit better. If any of you have any advice or tips, it would be great.ThanksSara

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Hi Sara!Use the King James Bible and ask Jesus for help in learning of the scriptures. Trust Jesus to be Your Good Shepherd.John 5: 39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.Matthew 11: 28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.As you learn of His promises, you shall learn to trust Him to take Him at His Word in helping you live the christian life for only He can do His work in you and finish it as you trust Him to do it... thus you follow Him by faith.John 6: 28Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. 2 Timothy 3: 15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.We have a rest in Jesus. The only commandments are these to guide us by.1 John 3: 22And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 24And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.Loving one another is the fulfillment of the Law. It surpasses the Ten Commandments because it doesn't cover gossip which is not a loving act towards thy neighbor.Romans 13: 7Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. 8Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. 11And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. 12The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. 13Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 14But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.Thus we use the scriptures to discern teachings as to if know they are of faith or not as we trust Jesus to guide us away from falsehood so that nothing steals our rest in Him.Hebrews 4: 1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. 3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world....9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. 12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. 1 Peter 2: 25For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.Philippians 1: 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: 7Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace. 8For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.1 John 3: 3And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.Jude 1: 24Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.I love His promises. There are more in the scriptures as Jesus shall point them out to you.
smile.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
One of the mistakes many Christains make is to think you have to pray a certain way or follow a certain ritual This is incorrect Jesus loves you Your his child he wants you to just talk to him like your best friend tell him fears your joys you dont have to speak out loud he knows your heart and your mind.The first time it may not all make sense do not worry its not supposed to the more you read it the more sense it makes You might want to read Genesis and Exodus.then maybe go to the New testament and try Mathew, mark, and Luke these are all telling the same storyjust three differnt views like if you and two friends wrote about the same story they would be simular but a little differentThis will give you the Basics the bible is not meant to nessarly be read in order like normal books you can read it that way but its more like each Book is complete initself the next Book doesnt always continue on in the same place the last left off. Feel free to ask questions along the way

Ricky W

Jun 6, 2007
(kriss)
One of the mistakes many Christains make is to think you have to pray a certain way or follow a certain ritual This is incorrect Jesus loves you Your his child he wants you to just talk to him like your best friend tell him fears your joys you dont have to speak out loud he knows your heart and your mind.The first time it may not all make sense do not worry its not supposed to the more you read it the more sense it makes You might want to read Genesis and Exodus.then maybe go to the New testament and try Mathew, mark, and Luke these are all telling the same storyjust three differnt views like if you and two friends wrote about the same story they would be simular but a little differentThis will give you the Basics the bible is not meant to nessarly be read in order like normal books you can read it that way but its more like each Book is complete initself the next Book doesnt always continue on in the same place the last left off. Feel free to ask questions along the way
Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Ricky this just means go to a quite place and you can pray silently (meaning it does not have to be out loud and God will hear and seeth you even if you are in the closet it means nothing as in rituals

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(Ricky W;26483)
Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Ricky, every Christian has a shrine in his or her closet. There is air conditioning and heating. 20' ceilings. And surround sound speakers to make our praying time easier. Every Christian has to pray at least 10 times a day, and we have to get up at 4 AM for our first prayer.No. There is no ritual. It's just as easy as me talking to you.

Ricky W

Jun 6, 2007
A'udzubillaahiminasysyaithonirrojiimBismillaahirrohmaanirrohiim(Wakka)
Ricky, every Christian has a shrine in his or her closet. There is air conditioning and heating. 20' ceilings. And surround sound speakers to make our praying time easier. Every Christian has to pray at least 10 times a day, and we have to get up at 4 AM for our first prayer.No. There is no ritual. It's just as easy as me talking to you.
smile.gif
, i know you understand not of what we (Muslims) are being doing.We Muslims need not Air conditioning nor heating, need not sound spaker to make easier for praying, we just need the body the place for doing that.Sholat which is one thing that still considered as pray are God commandment.There are many kind of prayer, if you know our prophet Muhammad s.a.w., his doing pray every beep of his heart with his depth heart, every second. But i bet you not knowing and understand that. We Moslem for Sholat can reach 40 times at least for pray with 'ritual movement', it can be added when you are eating, working, when done working, come back from work, when recite Quran, when ... Oh much... much... more wakka. Every time you can pray as you like to get remember your self to God, event God order us to pray on Him, where ever you are, at any time, at any place, it written as well in the noble Quran.And we pray to God, without any His creature through out. We ask / pray direct to God Who Create the universe.Hah... so much to say, but i think, this not the right place to tell the whole story for you if you want to know and understand.However, what my point bringing that verse of Matthew, was to remind you christian, not pray to anyone or any of His creature, but to Father(God/Elohiym) who not everyone has seen him. Event Jesus(pbuh) has clearly said that on that verse. Non the less.Wallaahu a'lam.

Ricky W

Jun 6, 2007
A'udzubillaahiminasysyaithonirrojiimBismillaahirrohmaanirrohiim(kriss)
Ricky this just means go to a quite place and you can pray silently (meaning it does not have to be out loud and God will hear and seeth you even if you are in the closet it means nothing as in rituals
I just make a point on what i'm coloring and bold.Wallaahu a'lam

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
Hi Sara,The Lords prayer is a good place to start. Jesus taught us that God already knows our needs even before we ask him. So the Lords prayer is sufficient at times like this. But also to feed ourselves in the word is a good place to start. Because knowing these truths when we pray gives us reassurance.Obeying the law in the outward form is not the way to go.Jesus said, " If you love me you will obey my commandments."So if you love God and your neighbour you are upholding the law and the teachings of the prophets. Jeremiahs 31:31-34 . Is a good place to start for this is the covenant in Christ. Where God puts his law and truth within our hearts.Love Faithful.
smile.gif