An Omniscient God Negates Free Will

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sounds like a double edged coin. I guess it is the most decadent societies that fall the hardest, while the most dilapidated societies fight the hardest to gain decadence. They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but did it fall in a day?
In German myth, there was a god named Baldr, son of Odin, king of the gods. Baldr was incredibly beautiful, surrounded by a golden glow, and was beloved by all, nothing could hurt him, even the evil ice giants would stop fighting when they saw him. The deceiver Loki caused Baldr to die, and then worked further mischief to keep him captive in hell forever. This would solidify the animosity between various factions, and from this point the followers of the gods and the followers of chaos would be arming continually until the last day, collecting souls and training them for battle. Ultimately, all the forces of hell would march against the forces of the gods, and each warrior would choose his most hated foe. Thor would defeat the world serpent then die to its venom; Odin would be eaten by Fenrir but be avenged by his children; and Heimdall would fight Loki and the two would slay eachother. All the gods, all the demons, and all mankind would be destroyed, nothing would survive as both sides met their equal and opposite and fell to the fires of this all-encompassing war. However, in the ashes of the ruined world, Baldr, now free from his chains, would emerge from hell, and reveal two humans, a man and a woman, hidden in a tree, to begin a new world.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In German myth, there was a god named Baldr, son of Odin, king of the gods. Baldr was incredibly beautiful, surrounded by a golden glow, and was beloved by all, nothing could hurt him, even the evil ice giants would stop fighting when they saw him. The deceiver Loki caused Baldr to die, and then worked further mischief to keep him captive in hell forever. This would solidify the animosity between various factions, and from this point the followers of the gods and the followers of chaos would be arming continually until the last day, collecting souls and training them for battle. Ultimately, all the forces of hell would march against the forces of the gods, and each warrior would choose his most hated foe. Thor would defeat the world serpent then die to its venom; Odin would be eaten by Fenrir but be avenged by his children; and Heimdall would fight Loki and the two would slay eachother. All the gods, all the demons, and all mankind would be destroyed, nothing would survive as both sides met their equal and opposite and fell to the fires of this all-encompassing war. However, in the ashes of the ruined world, Baldr, now free from his chains, would emerge from hell, and reveal two humans, a man and a woman, hidden in a tree, to begin a new world.
Or in other words, what happens when a battery's charge is used up? All the negative has flowed into the positive. The two sides have become one. So we can view the story as a great unification of everything. For God to be "all in all", all of God's creations must have achieved total enlightenment, and a unity of wills.

What I mean by a unity of wills is this: if we had no bodies, only minds, and I shared all my life experiences with you, and you with me, then we would no longer be distinguishable from eachother, we would have become a single being. This is how I believe the fate of all things will be.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Or in other words, what happens when a battery's charge is used up? All the negative has flowed into the positive. The two sides have become one. So we can view the story as a great unification of everything. For God to be "all in all", all of God's creations must have achieved total enlightenment, and a unity of wills.

What I mean by a unity of wills is this: if we had no bodies, only minds, and I shared all my life experiences with you, and you with me, then we would no longer be distinguishable from eachother, we would have become a single being. This is how I believe the fate of all things will be.
I am not sure what you're trying to tell me.

Lapidem

Jan 30, 2021
DinglyDell
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Logic it out mate; if God ALREADY KNEW that Abraham would be willing to kill his son, there'd have been no need for God to put him to the test.. :p
And angels are messengers between God and the human race, so the angel simply told Abraham that God was pleased he hadn't flunked the test..:)

You've failed your own logic, not unsurprisingly.

Either God is omniscient or he isn't. If he is then asking Abraham to kill his son was an act of cruelty and wickedness, psychological torture.
He knew Abraham would kill his son yet still demanded he do it. That's not the behaviour of an all-loving entity. Nothing about the mainstream interpretation of the Bible and mainstream religion holds water. It's pure brainwashing nonsense. There is truth, but it is not to be found in mainstream religion.

Reactions: Dropship

Lapidem

Jan 30, 2021
DinglyDell
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom
There is an underlying energy field which even the most basic packets of energy are formed from. This energy field encompasses all there is. Therefore, it is, by necessity, consciousness itself.

Ah now this energy field I have read about. And attempted to interact with it.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Right, I'm non-denominational because we don't need any organised religion or church to do our thinking for us..:)

View attachment 29429

Unusual scripture reference in your meme.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think James meant when he later said “Not many of you should become teachers …” (James 3:1, NET)?

Not many vs. not any.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am not sure what you're trying to tell me.
The question of God's plan, is like a black hole. No matter what path you take, it leads towards the singularity.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Unusual scripture reference in your meme.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think James meant when he later said “Not many of you should become teachers …” (James 3:1, NET)?
Not many vs. not any.

3 "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly."
I think James was warning people to think twice before becoming preachers/teachers because the demands would be very high and sadly not everybody would be up to the job.
He goes on to say it might be best if they simply set a good example by living good Christian lives-
13 "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom."
In fact I think it was Francis of Assisi who also said setting a good example was in a sense 'preaching'..:)-
"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words"

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
3 "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly."
I think James was warning people to think twice before becoming preachers/teachers because the demands would be very high and sadly not everybody would be up to the job.
He goes on to say it might be best if they simply set a good example by living good Christian lives-
13 "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom."
In fact I think it was Francis of Assisi who also said setting a good example was in a sense 'preaching'..:)
"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words"..:)

So neither Jesus nor James were opposed to sending teachers?

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So neither Jesus nor James were opposed to sending teachers?

There must have been people who'd never seen or heard Jesus and were eager to know more about him, so of course his followers were glad to spread the word, and technically that made them "teachers" and I don't think Jesus or James would have any objection to that as long as they didn't puff themselves up..:)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Depends what exactly is meant by "teachers".
There must have been people who'd never seen or heard Jesus and were eager to know more about him, so of course his followers were glad to spread the word, and technically that made them "teachers" and I don't think Jesus or James would have any objection to that..:)

Thanks.

Jesus sent / sends disciples to teach (Matthew 28:19-20).

Why not call them what they are? Teacher.

Why send them to teach if he alone is teacher?

What was Jesus really getting at with his comment recorded in Matthew 23:8?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Right, I'm non-denominational because we don't need any organised religion or church to do our thinking for us..:)

View attachment 29429

Teachers shouldn’t do people’s thinking for them. Teachers should teach people to think for themselves.

Organized religion or not, Jesus wouldn’t send teachers if there was no need for them.

The church - the body of Christ - has always sent teachers, and always will, in this age.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus sent / sends disciples to teach (Matthew 28:19-20).
Why not call them what they are? Teacher.
Why send them to teach if he alone is teacher?
What was Jesus really getting at with his comment recorded in Matthew 23:8?

On the one hand Jesus said don't call yourselves Rabbi (teacher)-
“But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers." (Matt 23:8)
But on the other hand he tells them to teach-
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations...teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” (Matt 19:20)
So in context it's what I said earlier, namely Jesus wanted people to spread the word purely and simply without any organised razzmatazz or lofty titles..:)

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Teachers shouldn’t do people’s thinking for them. Teachers should teach people to think for themselves.
Organized religion or not, Jesus wouldn’t send teachers if there was no need for them.
The church - the body of Christ - has always sent teachers, and always will, in this age.

Yes, and that's fine as long as they spread the word simply and clearly without putting their own spin on it, but sadly most denominations, cults and sects DO put their own spin on it and are a disgrace to Christianity, they're "spiritual perverts"..:)-
"If anyone preaches a perverted gospel they're accursed" (Galatians 1:6-9)
"..stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work.." (1 Tim 1:3-4)

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
The question of God's plan, is like a black hole. No matter what path you take, it leads towards the singularity.
You are using a scientific notion of the beginnings of the universe that is still being disputed amongst scientists who research cosmology. Why would you use a old scientific concept like the singular event of the big-bang to convince me that God's plan will crunch everything down to it's original state, making everything one. I never thought that was the case when I was being taught the theory of the big-bang in school. Because I couldn't understand how a singularity could expand outside an outside-less environment (My thinking was that the singularity would be our universe) that the universe was always here.

Last edited:

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I have been overdosing on the television series big-bang theory.