Another Gospel?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excerpt from a sermon preached by the Pastor of the church I attend (yes, I'm a member).

"So for you, if you are not passionate about man-fishing, you aren’t following Jesus."

"Here’s the heart of the message: Jesus is calling you to be His disciples by joining in the work of fishing for men. As you hear His call today, let a love for man-fishing grow out of your love for Jesus, and from your faith-filled response to His call! Because when Jesus calls, you don’t stay in the boat. You respond like Simon and Andrew, and James and John, immediately leaving behind your nets and even your family, and following Jesus! When the Son of God calls, you obey."

If the phrase '...aren't following Jesus' equals 'unbeliever' , then a condition for salvation is that one be 'passionate about man-fishing'. I think that might be another gospel.
Why? Because no one can be obedient to Jesus unless they are a believer.

Is this an Exhortation with bad theology?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is this an Exhortation with bad theology?
I would say poor exegesis, we are not all called to be evangelists, preachers, teachers etc
It sounds as if he is keen to get people motivated into evangelism, so take him at his word and ask what are his plans for evangelism.

Is he training people to explain or defend Chrisisanity?
Is he going to run a christianityexplored course?

Reactions: Helen

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say poor exegesis, we are not all called to be evangelists, preachers, teachers etc
It sounds as if he is keen to get people motivated into evangelism, so take him at his word and ask what are his plans for evangelism.

Is he training people to explain or defend Chrisisanity?
Is he going to run a christianityexplored course?

Thanks for your response.
A series of sermons throughout the book of Mark, so yes, he is getting people motivated. As far as I know there are no plans for separate classes, or training, but we'll see.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In my experience, when a church group is not moving forward spiritually..( it is never the fault of the congregation but leadership) the trick is for the Pastor to start a 'program' of some sort or another. "Keep them busy, then they wont notice I don't have much to preach and teach."
As has already been said...evangelism is not everyones calling...all can do it as we pass through life, but not all have the anointing for it. When that happens then sadly "mandated evangelism" then becomes a heavy burden and can even drive some people out of the church.