Apokatastasis in the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought Apokatastasis was only a theological term from the early church.
Now I come to find out that it is in the Bible as a word in the NT Greek text.
Thanks to my good friend and dear brother @Chadrho for pointing it out.

Here it is.

Acts 3:21 NIV
Heaven must receive him until the time comes for God to restore everything,
as he promised long ago through his holy prophets.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perhaps you can't see it? I can help.

"... until the time comes for God to restore everything,"

There it is. Here's the NT Greek.

ἀποκαταστάσεως (apokatastaseōs) — 1 Occurrence
Acts 3:21 N-GFS
GRK: ἄχρι χρόνων ἀποκαταστάσεως πάντων ὧν
NAS: [the] period of restoration of all things
KJV: the times of restitution of all things,
INT: until times of restoration of all things of which

So, "What is it?" you might ask.

Apocatastasis
In theology, apocatastasis is the restoration of creation to a condition of perfection.
In Christianity, it is a form of Christian universalism that includes the ultimate salvation of everyone
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm often told that Christian Universalism isn't in the Bible.
Now we know better.

Agree or disagree?

@Patrick1966

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Here it is.

Apocatastasis
In theology, apocatastasis is the restoration of creation to a condition of perfection.
In Christianity, it is a form of Christian universalism that includes the ultimate salvation of everyone

Now we know better.

Agree or disagree?
We need to see the balance in God's judgments in our reading of the bible. God is far more merciful than fundamentalists can grasp. But He is also holy. God so loved the world...not just the church. Understanding this is a real challenge to the dogmatic beliefs of many believers.

But we can swing too far the other way. Are the wages of sin no longer death? The soul that sins...it will live?

Unless we learn about the different standards in the world and in the church...we will go in circles. God judges the world in righteousness, based on what we did with what we have been given; whereby His people are judged at a higher standard that includes His holiness. Two levels of expectation...two standards. One standard for the world…and one for His people. Judgment begins at God’s house. There will be two separate resurrections and two judgments based on these.

The law of God is binding on all people...the minimum standard for salvation is to love others as oneself. This is not based on believing we must do something based on religious theories. No, we will be judged by how we treated others...by what we did. This standard has always existed. It is an eternal path. Without fulfilling this requirement, we will have no place in the future nations. So, this standard is universal...regardless of spiritual achievement, beliefs, theories and lived experience. Universalism only works to THIS level. The wicked still perish in the lake of fire.

The fulness of salvation is with the saints, who walk in the power of grace. They will rule over the nations with the Lord. But then, to whom much is given, more is required. Those who fail the grace of God will be cast into outer darkness forever. So, we should fear the Lord. Of course, if we were wise, we would AT LEAST conform to the law of God regarding its universal application to love others as ourselves. However, many will get caught up in the hubris of grace only to fail both standards.

Who will be instructed in righteousness concerning God’s ways?

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for joining the discussion. I ALWAYS appreciate your participation.
We need to see the balance in God's judgments as we see in the bible. God is far more merciful than fundamentalists can grasp. But He is also holy. God so loved the world...not just the church. Understanding this is a real challenge to the dogmatic beliefs of many believers.
What does our key verse mean to you?
What would you include in "restore everything"?

But we can swing too far the other way. Are the wages of sin no longer death? The soul that sins...it will live?
To be clear, Christian Universalism (Apokatastasis) teaches that Christ paid the death penalty in full for
ALL of humankind ("... the world...not just the church." as you wrote) in the completed work of the Atonement
on our behalf. But this does not preclude a judgement. It's not a Get-out-of-hell-free card.
Everyone will face judgement. Every idle word... and intentional deed.

Ecclesiastes 12:14 NIV
For God will bring every deed into judgment,
including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

God will restore an eternal order. On Earth as it is in heaven. Something that will last for eternity. If we are in the way of that, we will be pushed aside, so to speak. If we want to partake of God's eternal order, we best get with the agenda at the present time...while we still can. :)

Restoration is about God's order...not our individual salvation. That is on us.
To be clear, Christian Universalism (Apokatastasis) teaches that Christ paid the death penalty in full for
ALL of humankind ("... the world...not just the church." as you wrote) in the completed work of the Atonement
on our behalf. But this does not preclude a judgement. It's not a Get-out-of-hell-free card.

Exactly. The question remains...do we fit into God's eternal order? If so, where??? ;)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God will restore an eternal order. On Earth as it is in heaven. Something that will last for eternity. If we are in the way of that, we will be pushed aside, so to speak. If we want to partake of God's eternal order, we best get with the agenda at the present time...while we still can. :)
Seems to me that if some are pushed aside, that would unsettle a restored eternal order.
Like a sock hanging out of the suitcase. - LOL
An indication that all is not well.

Besides, the good shepherd leaves the ninety-nine to go after the one.
Will he then turn a cold shoulder? Tell me it ain't so!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Apocatastasis

Now we know better.

Agree or disagree?
Disagree - even though I'd like to agree. You can't just make up a word meaning to back door doctrine into Scripture.

We are star dust. And will be restored to that perfection - without divine intervention.

What do you make of this in Scripture:
  • Lake of Fire
  • Second Death

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here it is.

Apocatastasis

Now we know better.

Agree or disagree?
I respectfully disagree. Peter, a Hebrew person, was addressing a crowd of fellow Hebrews and discussing Hebrew concepts. The Greek term translated as "all things" does not encompass every existing thing, but rather refers to all the relevant items pertaining to the discussion. Therefore, Peter was not referring to the restoration of creation as you assumed, but rather the restoration of Israel. (Acts 1:6)

Reactions: APAK and Wrangler

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly. The question remains...do we fit into God's eternal order? If so, where??? ;)
I would posit that returning to God's eternal order would include his relationship to humankind.
Wasn't the eternal order of things upset in the Fall of humankind? (and what preceded it, I suppose. i.e. Lucifer et all)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Seems to me that if some are pushed aside, that would unsettle a restored eternal order.

Not everyone is His sheep. We are given free will to obey the Lord or not. He will not force us to love Him or others. Those who refuse to participate will not be included.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would posit that returning to God's eternal order would include his relationship to humankind.
Wasn't the eternal order of things upset in the Fall of humankind? (and what preceded it, I suppose. i.e. Lucifer et all)
That is to assume that God's plan did not include the fall. God uses the devil to weed out those who are not faithful to Him. He will sort us out according to our kind.

Rev. 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disagree - even though I'd like to agree. You can't just make up a word meaning to back door doctrine into Scripture.
That's not what is happening here. A little church history might help.

Early Christianity​

Clement of Alexandria (c. 150 – c. 215) generally uses the term apokatastasis to refer to the "restoration" of the "gnostic" Christians, rather than that of the universe or of all Christians, but with universal implications.[41] Origen's stance is disputed, with some works saying he taught apocatastasis would involve universal salvation.[42][43] Gregory of Nyssa's notion of apokatastasis is also claimed to have involved universal salvation though in other respects it differed from Origen's.[44]

In early Christian theological usage, apokatastasis was couched as God's eschatological victory over evil and believed to entail a purgatorial state.[45] The word was still very flexible at that time, but in the mid-6th century, it became virtually a technical term, as it usually means today, to refer to a specifically Origenistic doctrine of universal salvation.[46]

Maximus the Confessor outlined God's plan for "universal" salvation alongside warnings of final punishment for the wicked.[47] He divided apocatastasis into three restorations: of the virtuous individual, of nature, and of the sinful powers of the soul. While the last of these meant that even sinners will be restored to a clear knowledge of God, Maximus seems to have believed that they will not attain to the same communion with God as the righteous and thus will in a sense be eternally punished.[48]

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everyone is His sheep. We are given free will to obey the Lord or not. He will not force us to love Him or others. Those who refuse to participate will not be included.
There is something to that, but...
How does that apply to this quote below from post #2?
The law of God is binding on all people...the minimum standard for salvation is to love others as oneself. This is not based on believing we must do something based on religious theories. No, we will be judged by how we treated others...by what we did. This standard has always existed. It is an eternal path. Without fulfilling this requirement, we will have no place in the future nations. So, this standard is universal...regardless of spiritual achievement, beliefs, theories and lived experience. Universalism only works to THIS level. The wicked still perish in the lake of fire.
I see nothing here about the Lord's sheep, or free will to obey Him. ???
It does however level with this scripture below.

Romans 2:14-16 NIV
(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law,
do by nature things required by the law,
they are a law for themselves,
even though they do not have the law.
15 They show that the requirements of the law are
written on their hearts
, their consciences also bearing witness,
and their thoughts sometimes accusing them
and at other times even defending them.)
16 This will take place on the day when God
judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ
as my gospel declares.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here it is.

Apocatastasis

Now we know better.

Agree or disagree?
That would be a false and grossly misinterpreted application of what is said

God will restore creation (this earth) to perfection

It does not mean he will restore salvation to people who willfully rejected his salvation while here on this earth.

That is false

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Wasn't the eternal order of things upset in the Fall of humankind? (and what preceded it, I suppose. i.e. Lucifer et all)​
That is to assume that God's plan did not include the fall...
On the contrary, my good fellow.
Without the Fall, what is to be restored?

And if it is NOT restored to its original state, has it really been restored?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, Christ died for everyone

But it does not mean everyone will get a "get out of hell" free card.

God will not force people to receive him, and he will not over rule the free will choice of people to reject him

Remember in John 3, Jesus said as Moses lifted the serpent. The children of Israel were getting bit by snakes. and they were as much as Dead. God through Moses offered salvation to all. The snake on the pole was enough to save all the people there. But God did not force people to look up. Those who did were saved. Those who did not died.

Jesus also was raised on a pole. And offered salvation to everyone. But in the same token. He will not force us to look at him and live.

those that do will live (be born again) through faith. Those who do not will die, because they did not believe, and remain condemned

Universalism is false

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And the one willingly follows him.

It does not say he grabs him and pulls him kicking and screaming..

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would be a false and grossly misinterpreted application of what is said

God will restore creation (this earth) to perfection

It does not mean he will restore salvation to people who willfully rejected his salvation while here on this earth.

That is false
Thanks for joining the discussion.

How could the earth be restored to perfection without its inhabitants?
Did God create the world to be empty or filled?

You wrongly assume that everyone throughout history has had the opportunity to "reject his salvation".
Not true. What is the current population of China? How many will die today having never heard?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Wasn't the eternal order of things upset in the Fall of humankind? (and what preceded it, I suppose. i.e. Lucifer et all)​

On the contrary, my good fellow.
Without the Fall, what is to be restored?

And if it is NOT restored to its original state, has it really been restored?
God can restore all things and not save those who willingly reject him.

They are not required to be restored for all things to be restored. it is why they are cast out..

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for joining the discussion.

How could the earth be restored to perfection without its inhabitants?
Did God create the world to be empty or filled?
How many inhabitants are required?
You wrongly assume that everyone throughout history has had the opportunity to "reject his salvation".
Not true. What is the current population of China? How many will die today having never heard?
Romans 1 states all mankind has no excuse. they all not only know of God but they know their sin condemned them

But they rejected him

Don;t give people an excuse to reject God

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is something to that, but...
How does that apply to this quote below from post #2?

I see nothing here about the Lord's sheep, or free will to obey Him. ???
It does however level with this scripture below.

Romans 2:14-16 NIV
(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law,
do by nature things required by the law,
they are a law for themselves,
even though they do not have the law.
15 They show that the requirements of the law are
written on their hearts
, their consciences also bearing witness,
and their thoughts sometimes accusing them
and at other times even defending them.)
16 This will take place on the day when God
judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ
as my gospel declares.
Yes. We will be judged against the conscience God has given to us as we are created in His image. Of course there are those whose conscience has been seared through practice of evil. And then there are those who go too far the other way and sear their consciences based on religious ideology.

Jesus said..My sheep hear My voice. The Lord's flock are few.

Luke 12:32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

Reactions: faithfulness