Apokatastasis in the early church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imagine that, LGBT's heading for Hell teaching us Greek.

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When many hear about Apokatastasis (the restoration of all things), Universalism, Christian Universalism,
Universal Restoration, Universal Reconciliation, Universal Redemption, UR...
Steven!!! You left out my favorite BOAT in the ocean of UNIVERSALISM....that being ULTIMATE RECONCILIATION. Shame on you St. Steven. :hmhehm Oh well, at least we're in the right OCEAN now. Those floating around in the OCEAN of DENOMINATIONAL-ISM simply have not the eyes to see what we see. But we both have seen what they see, because we both WERE where they ARE. I thank God , (the great optometrist,) Who took off our blurry glasses prescribed by 1700 years of apostasy. In Our Opinion. :innocent:
There is an assumption that this is a new idea. Something modern liberal theologians cooked up. Not so.

Apokatastasis was a major part of Christian theology in the early church.

The main Patristic supporters of the apokatastasis theory, such as Bardaisan, Clement, Origin,
Didymus, St. Anthony, St. Pamphilus Martyr, Methodius, St. Macrina, St. Gregory of Nyssa (and probably the
two other Cappadocians), St. Evagrius Ponticus, Diodore of Tarsus, Theodore of Mopsuestia, St. John of Jerusalem,
Rufinus, St. Jerome and St. Augustine (at least initially) … Cassian, St. Issac of Nineveh, St. John of Dalyatha,
Ps. Dionysius the Areopagite, probably St. Maximus the Confessor, up to John the Scot Eriugena,
and many others, grounded their Christian doctrine of apokatastasis first of all in the Bible.
— Ramelli, Christian Doctrine, 11.
Amen Amen and again I say AMEN.
--- Agree or disagree? ---

Quotes from the early church fathers in posts #2 and #5-7.

]
AGREE AGREE AGREE....but only after 10 years of studying with a heart open to the leading of the holy spirit within. And allowing HIM to reveal a truth contrary to the one we believed so fervently in before. I am so happy to have met you in your "traditions and commandments of men" days, bro. :Happy:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Steven!!! You left out my favorite BOAT in the ocean of UNIVERSALISM....that being ULTIMATE RECONCILIATION. Shame on you St. Steven. :hmhehm
LOL
Correction made. Thanks, buddy.

Could I ask a HUGE favor.
I had a topic on the previous forum that I would like to bring over here.
The title contained the term "Apostles and Prophets".
If you could send me the actual title and OP (post #1)
I'll post it here. Thanks.

'

• Love
Reactions: Hillsage

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hillsage

]

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL
Correction made. Thanks, buddy.

'