Apparently RT and right wing extremism are synonymous in the USA?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What is it about the right wing conservative reformed theology people that make them so vehement to ANY social reform or inclusiveness?
In the last two months I've been kicked off two such sites for their inability to defend their positions on RT and how it relates to modern society in a democratic world. Now I deliberately went on them trying to see if they were actually Christians or just right wing conservatives who call themselves Christian. Sadly I came away with the latter conclusion.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm assuming RT = reformed theology, which seems likely.

This has always frustrated me with the Reformed camp. Every time I feel drawn to the stronger doctrine of God you find in that camp, you happen upon the intramurals where folks aren't Reformed (or reformed) enough and so on and so forth. It is interesting, but I see the Reformed system as the scholarly heir to the conservative side of theology. It's the closest coherent systematic theology to anything that Rome or even Eastern Orthodoxy offers. For that reason I am drawn to it at times. It can push back on the tendency to anthropomorphize God, in my view.

However, I think the thing holding it back is this search for a purist doctrine which suddenly expands to include a specific worldview. If you look upon the history of the Reformed camp in the US, you'll see a couple things:

1) There is always a Camp A and Camp B situation. I may be oversimplifying this a good bit, but just see the Old vs New School argument that still goes on. I see Reformed guys often try and kick out Reformed Baptists or some other contingent for not being capital Rs. Another popular one now bubbling up is revivalism versus confessionalism. Then you have the antinomian debates, too.

2) You can trace the politics to a lot of the Presbyterian denominations. The PCUSA is now the liberal inclusive one. The PCA and OPC are almost conservative brothers who feud right and left but still kinda care for one another.

I guess a lot of this is due to the fact that certain strands of Reformed tend to be very cultural and tied to certain people groups. Then, you have the typical southern conservative Presbyterian in the strain of guys like R. L. Dabney and others who are linked to the CSA. Interestingly enough, the old powerhouse seminary (after Princeton went New school and liberalized) was located in the city 30 minutes south of here where guys like James Henley Thornwell and others were bred and studied.

(What's really, really ironic is Columbia Seminary actually influenced Woodrow Wilson quite strongly!)

However, the seminary is long gone (have moved and then liberalized considerably). It almost seems to burn out. Kind of like those burned over districts in the northeast.

What's so wild about it all is that the Reformed camps seem to have burnt out in the NE and either led to really inclusive and fully liberalized institutions, or they literally burnt themselves right out of faith. I think some of this is why, at least here in the US, there is such a purist hedge in the camp.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Great post Hammer and IMO right on. Sorry, I thought my actual post would clarify the subject line.
It is definitely not a consistent view, as there are at least 1 to 5 point Calvinists in that mix alone and all of them argue about who is right. Seems the more points of the TULIP one ascribes to the more inflexible they are. The common view I seem to encounter in the extreme right is this view of "American Exceptionalism", and that nations are called. How they come up with that is beyond me as the Bible clearly shows salvation is for the individual. This extreme is definitely not common in Canada, so I am somewhat dumb founded when I encounter it on sites with few Canadians.
It does show though, that, as is common with most doctrines of men, the more one follows the doctrines of that man, the more intransigent one becomes.