Are head coverings a culturally relevant practice that was only for Corinth?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

carlos123

Mar 6, 2012
I am writing a book on head coverings (which I plan to give away freely) and was wondering if someone could critique something I have tentatively concluded?

What I would like constructive criticism on is the following statement of conclusion...

Anyone who believes that the application of head coverings as Paul taught it is a culturally relevant practice that was meant only for the Corinthians and that no longer applies today is either 1) ignorant of what the text says, 2) deceived, or 3) outright rebellious.

Let me back up that conclusion...

NONE of Paul's reasons for saying that a woman should wear a covering and a man not...are culturally connected with the Corinthian culture in any way.

The reasons Paul uses to support his instructions on head coverings are culturally neutral and apply across all times and in all places.

Secondly the custom of allowing women to pray without a head coverings was UNIVERSALLY rejected by EVERY New Testament church and by most all churches throughout history until just the last 100 years or so!

We of today scratch off Paul's many timeless reasons for the practice of head coverings as irrelevant, concoct one made up by our own minds that has NO historical or biblical support - culturally relevant only to Corinth, and ignore what God inspired Paul to say.

What am I to make of the near universal lack of application of what Paul taught today?

I can only conclude that people in general are ignorant of what Paul said, are deceived into thinking it's no longer relevant when it in fact is, or are just outright rebellious and out to embrace any and every conjecture, theory, or faulty logic to justify their rebellion.

Can someone just be innocently mistaken? If someone is innocently mistaken where they just don't know better such persons would fall into the ignorant of what the text says camp.

Anyway I would love to hear from some Christians on my logic and what I have concluded about this particular objection (the culturally relevant only to Corinth objection). I don't want to publish something that is not right if indeed it is not.

Thanks.

Carlos

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God did not inspire Paul to write everything, in fact if you look there are a couple of times where it is written," this is what I say not the Lord". If you desire to put yourself under the law, you will be judged by the law, there is no grace when under the law, the wages of sin is death under the law, for there is no sacrifice to redeem yourself from it. So choose whom you will serve, Christ and be under grace and mercy and life or the law which leads to condemnation, bondage and death.

Now before you post that, I would seriously get into a quiet place and cry out to Jesus for the right answer, before satan comes along and has some leg to stand on when you cause others to stumble.

In all his Love

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I am writing a book on head coverings (which I plan to give away freely) and was wondering if someone could critique something I have tentatively concluded?

What I would like constructive criticism on is the following statement of conclusion...

Anyone who believes that the application of head coverings as Paul taught it is a culturally relevant practice that was meant only for the Corinthians and that no longer applies today is either 1) ignorant of what the text says, 2) deceived, or 3) outright rebellious.

Let me back up that conclusion...

NONE of Paul's reasons for saying that a woman should wear a covering and a man not...are culturally connected with the Corinthian culture in any way.

The reasons Paul uses to support his instructions on head coverings are culturally neutral and apply across all times and in all places.

Secondly the custom of allowing women to pray without a head coverings was UNIVERSALLY rejected by EVERY New Testament church and by most all churches throughout history until just the last 100 years or so!

We of today scratch off Paul's many timeless reasons for the practice of head coverings as irrelevant, concoct one made up by our own minds that has NO historical or biblical support - culturally relevant only to Corinth, and ignore what God inspired Paul to say.

What am I to make of the near universal lack of application of what Paul taught today?

I can only conclude that people in general are ignorant of what Paul said, are deceived into thinking it's no longer relevant when it in fact is, or are just outright rebellious and out to embrace any and every conjecture, theory, or faulty logic to justify their rebellion.

Can someone just be innocently mistaken? If someone is innocently mistaken where they just don't know better such persons would fall into the ignorant of what the text says camp.

Anyway I would love to hear from some Christians on my logic and what I have concluded about this particular objection (the culturally relevant only to Corinth objection). I don't want to publish something that is not right if indeed it is not.

Thanks.

Carlos

Carlos .... if you were invited to speak at my church you would be most welcome.

If you requested that you be picked up at the airport in a Cadillac Eldorado and be chauffeured to the church it could be arranged.

If your preference was to be picked up in a Cadillac Eldorado with the 500 cubic inch engine and the car must have 31 inch radial tires and a differential with 2:78 - 1 gear ratio it can be arranged.

If your request was to be paid $1000 for your sermon it could be arranged.

If part of your preference was that at least 100 people purchase you book at $30 per copy it could be arranged.

All I require from you Carlos , is a written agreement that your theology is based on 31 inch tires and 500 cubic inches.

Then I can do a thesis on the 500 cubic inch Eldorado.

It amounts to the same thing as Paul preferring that women attending his speaking engagements wear head coverings.

Paul does not even know what the puck an Eldorado is.

He only knows he prefers women wear head coverings when he speaks in church.

Same thing.

May you have a kind and wonderful day Carlos.