Atheism And Chrstianty

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chuck55

Mar 8, 2009
I suppose the format for this is I'll answer as many questions about Atheism. This is not "stump the atheist" nor "stump the Christian" so much as its "understanding atheism and Christianity firsthand". Ya dig? Lets start on the friendly level.What does it mean to be a Christian, at its most broad level?

Chuck55

Mar 8, 2009
I have yet another question. What are some recent movies that would be un-Christian to watch?Same question for music?Roughly what percentage of your friends are theist? Christians? Your own specific denomination?Is the term Fundamentalist offensive?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
QUOTE (Chuck55 @ Mar 8 2009, 01:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70383
I suppose the format for this is I'll answer as many questions about Atheism. This is not "stump the atheist" nor "stump the Christian" so much as its "understanding atheism and Christianity firsthand". Ya dig? Lets start on the friendly level.What does it mean to be a Christian, at its most broad level?
To believe Jesus Christ was the son of God...... God of course created everything but you asked about the believe of a Christian in the broadest termsWhat is an athiest in the brodest terms in my opinion a Religion based on disproving God exsists.

Chuck55

Mar 8, 2009
QUOTE (Christina @ Mar 8 2009, 08:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70406
To believe Jesus Christ was the son of God...... God of course created everything but you asked about the believe of a Christian in the broadest termsWhat is an athiest in the brodest terms in my opinion a Religion based on disproving God exsists.
Thank you, Christina.Atheism (or my understanding) is simply lack of belief, lack of religion. I don't assert that there IS not God. I just think that there is not. Religion (to me) has ritual, worship, code to follow, often an afterlife or reward, prayer, ect ect ect. Atheism does not fit those criteria, so I would not be so hasty to call Atheism a religion. Also, in regard to disproving God, I don't think that's possible, proving negative existence isn't feasable.I continue my conquest for understanding: In response to Christina's definition, so I need not believe that the bible is accurate, nor that any established churches are correct? What about The Holy Ghost? What's the deal with that? Do I need to believe in resurrection or transubstansiation?My own line of questions continues. I understand that there are many denominations of Christianity. I suppose some are very different than the others. When someone joins a church, do they implicitly agree with all the social implications involved?What about hell? How does one get there? Heaven? Purgutory?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (Chuck55 @ Mar 8 2009, 08:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70408
QUOTE (Christina @ Mar 8 2009, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70406
Thank you, Christina.Atheism (or my understanding) is simply lack of belief, lack of religion. I don't assert that there IS not God. I just think that there is not. Religion (to me) has ritual, worship, code to follow, often an afterlife or reward, prayer, ect ect ect. Atheism does not fit those criteria, so I would not be so hasty to call Atheism a religion. Also, in regard to disproving God, I don't think that's possible, proving negative existence isn't feasable.I continue my conquest for understanding: In response to Christina's definition, so I need not believe that the bible is accurate, nor that any established churches are correct? What about The Holy Ghost? What's the deal with that? Do I need to believe in resurrection or transubstansiation?My own line of questions continues. I understand that there are many denominations of Christianity. I suppose some are very different than the others. When someone joins a church, do they implicitly agree with all the social implications involved?What about hell? How does one get there? Heaven? Purgutory?Chuck, with all due respect, God did not at all create a religion. All religion is made by humans. To us, God is our Father. God should not be a religion at all... but people makes it that way. We should have a relationship with God and that's what love includes in. It's like you have a relationship with your parents, siblings, friends etc.God wanted us to love Him, but we have Free Will to decide if we will follow Him out of love or not. He does not want us to follow Him out of duty, nor does He want us to follow Him because we have too... He wants our Love.As for some stuff like Purgatory... it doesn't exist in God's Words... It's a lie of men to deceive people... Hell? The staff, I, and some others do not believe anybody will burn forever in Hell, because to be honest with you... That's just cruel and will lead people not come to God.God's Words is real... But again, we have Free Will to choose Him out of love or not.I hope I can help you... because I love you.

Chuck55

Mar 8, 2009
QUOTE (Jordan @ Mar 8 2009, 10:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70412
Thank you, Christina.Atheism (or my understanding) is simply lack of belief, lack of religion. I don't assert that there IS not God. I just think that there is not. Religion (to me) has ritual, worship, code to follow, often an afterlife or reward, prayer, ect ect ect. Atheism does not fit those criteria, so I would not be so hasty to call Atheism a religion. Also, in regard to disproving God, I don't think that's possible, proving negative existence isn't feasable.I continue my conquest for understanding: In response to Christina's definition, so I need not believe that the bible is accurate, nor that any established churches are correct? What about The Holy Ghost? What's the deal with that? Do I need to believe in resurrection or transubstansiation?My own line of questions continues. I understand that there are many denominations of Christianity. I suppose some are very different than the others. When someone joins a church, do they implicitly agree with all the social implications involved?What about hell? How does one get there? Heaven? Purgutory?Chuck, with all due respect, God did not at all create a religion. All religion is made by humans. To us, God is our Father. God should not be a religion at all... but people makes it that way. We should have a relationship with God and that's what love includes in. It's like you have a relationship with your parents, siblings, friends etc.God wanted us to love Him, but we have Free Will to decide if we will follow Him out of love or not. He does not want us to follow Him out of duty, nor does He want us to follow Him because we have too... He wants our Love.As for some stuff like Purgatory... it doesn't exist in God's Words... It's a lie of men to deceive people... Hell? The staff, I, and some others do not believe anybody will burn forever in Hell, because to be honest with you... That's just cruel and will lead people not come to God.God's Words is real... But again, we have Free Will to choose Him out of love or not.I hope I can help you... because I love you.
Thanks for some clarification. I really appriciate all of the help, you've been very informative. I appriciate the love too, I guess. We share some common ground on the "humans make religion" opinionMy next question is: What is your experience with Atheists in the past?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (Chuck55 @ Mar 8 2009, 09:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70413
QUOTE (Jordan @ Mar 8 2009, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70412
Chuck, with all due respect, God did not at all create a religion. All religion is made by humans. To us, God is our Father. God should not be a religion at all... but people makes it that way. We should have a relationship with God and that's what love includes in. It's like you have a relationship with your parents, siblings, friends etc.God wanted us to love Him, but we have Free Will to decide if we will follow Him out of love or not. He does not want us to follow Him out of duty, nor does He want us to follow Him because we have too... He wants our Love.As for some stuff like Purgatory... it doesn't exist in God's Words... It's a lie of men to deceive people... Hell? The staff, I, and some others do not believe anybody will burn forever in Hell, because to be honest with you... That's just cruel and will lead people not come to God.God's Words is real... But again, we have Free Will to choose Him out of love or not.I hope I can help you... because I love you.
Thanks for some clarification. I really appriciate all of the help, you've been very informative. I appriciate the love too, I guess. We share some common ground on the "humans make religion" opinionMy next question is: What is your experience with Atheists in the past?Well, before I begin... I used to be an Atheist. Nobody told me about God and Christ til early 2006. But am a Christian now since 2006.My experience with Atheist? Well I did not counter with many Atheist, but only a couple. My experience to be honest was not that great. I did try to answer their questions to the best of my ability because I love them. But I do realize that not everybody is that way... but the Atheists I counter was not great. But as my motives I hope I can reach them to God out of love and I will try my best to give them God's love and tell them the Truth... because telling the Truth is a reality.

Chuck55

Mar 8, 2009
I know plenty of Atheists who go to stump Christians with the really unanswerable/uncomfortable questions. Then the Atheist sits back and goes "look how smart I am". This is not progressive in my mind. It is mean spirited.Why try to convert an Atheist?(Does anyone know why I can't post on other boards?)Now, I have tried to read as many arguements for Atheism and for Religion as possible, and then make the best decision. Would a religious person read books like "God Is Not Great" or "The God Delusion" to see side of the coin?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Well I agree with Jordan .....a religion is anything you love and make a big or the biggest part of ones life and are passionate aboutIt can be t.V. your car,music or God I find there are two types of athiest the ones that just really just do not know they have seen no proof so they just lack reason to believe.... The other type makes it their lifes work to disprove God these type have just made athieism a religion ... they are passionate about their believes ... Which to me is a contradiction in itself ... I would not devote my life into proving little green men do not exist. I just plain dont believe it therefore its not worth my time ....Heres the thing if you had never read the bible never went to church never even thought much about God one way or the other. Now you are walking down the street a bus hits you ... You realize you are going to die with your last breath.... You say something to the tune forgive my sins in the name of Jesus and you die ....you are saved. Now sense we as Christians believe this and we are not dying we want to understand this God we have chosen to believe in so we read his Book that are his Words .... Now I love it when athiests say they dont believe the book ...Have they ever read it? come to understand it ??? Or do they just hear religious men quote it ...and draw a conclusion based on one thing or another they do not agre with ...without truly understanding the reason behind it ... To me thats like saying I hate the movie because the trailer stinks .... If I havent seen the movie all I get is the directors opinion of what makes a good selling feature ..it does not even explain the plot of the movie or tell me the depth or feelings of its charaters ...

Chuck55

Mar 8, 2009
I'll totally agree with you. Many people Atheist and Theist alike, don't know anything about the bible. I thought it was a good book. Divine, no. Infinitely moral and wise, no, but a great read.If you define religion as something you are passionate about or serious about, then yes.Again, people use words differently but often mean the same thing.What about Satanism/devil worship? Views on that?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (Chuck55 @ Mar 8 2009, 10:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70418
I'll totally agree with you. Many people Atheist and Theist alike, don't know anything about the bible. I thought it was a good book. Divine, no. Infinitely moral and wise, no, but a great read.If you define religion as something you are passionate about or serious about, then yes.Again, people use words differently but often mean the same thing.What about Satanism/devil worship? Views on that?
Let me ask you a question as well.What is 2 + 2? I know it's a very simple question... but my point is... Is getting the right answer (telling the Truth) a religion too? In my point of view... no.What about Satanism/devil worship? Views on that? That is also in the bible.... they are many kind of Satanism/devil worship and all of them are in the bible. For a simple clear answer... It's a sin.... and is everything against nature.

Chuck55

Mar 8, 2009
QUOTE (Jordan @ Mar 8 2009, 11:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70419
Let me ask you a question as well.What is 2 + 2? I know it's a very simple question... but my point is... Is getting the right answer (telling the Truth) a religion too? In my point of view... no.What about Satanism/devil worship? Views on that? That is also in the bible.... they are many kind of Satanism/devil worship and all of them are in the bible. For a simple clear answer... It's a sin.... and is everything against nature.
The Satanism cracks me up. These folks studied the bible, understand and believe it, yet they choose the wrong side.I still have plenty of questions posed that still remain unanswered ^ can you guys help me out?I'll pose one more. Are atheist's wicked (other than the Apostasy issue)?Also, what about keeping Kosher? Not trimming the corners of the beards?Is the earth flat? Sun moves around it? Is it 6000 (or so) years old? Evolution yeh or neh? A baby is a human when? (conception, blood flow, nervous system? Birth?) Separation of church and state? Nationalism? Capitalism?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (Chuck55 @ Mar 8 2009, 10:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70420
The Satanism cracks me up. These folks studied the bible, understand and believe it, yet they choose the wrong side.I still have plenty of questions posed that still remain unanswered ^ can you guys help me out?I'll pose one more. Are atheist's wicked (other than the Apostasy issue)?
Well I'll do my best to answer as much questions from anybody. While scriptures say that we all sinned (Romans 3:10, Romans 3:23) and scriptures say to people saying there are no God are foolish. (Psalm 14, Psalm 53), other than that, I can't read people's mind... or heart...If one chose to believe in God or not... that is one's choice... it depends how far you want to go. As far I'm concerned God had not failed me nor will He.God is the Judge. Not men!

Chuck55

Mar 8, 2009
Are you sceptical of the translation you currently read? Is there a consensus of which one is the closest to the ancient hebrew/greek/latin/whatever mixture? PS, guys, I want your opinions, please don't quote a verse!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (Chuck55 @ Mar 8 2009, 11:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70422
Are you sceptical of the translation you currently read? Is there a consensus of which one is the closest to the ancient hebrew/greek/latin/whatever mixture? PS, guys, I want your opinions, please don't quote a verse!
My opinion is in the Word of God. They are God's Words in any language. We are a Bible Study Site... It recommends KJV with Strong's Concordance. We don't stop people from reading other translations... But some are closer to the original languagesTo be honest with you... opinions are worthless (even mine) when it comes to reality. We believe in God's Words on everything. We study to know Him and trust in Him. He promised to tell us everything and He did it.

Chuck55

Mar 8, 2009
I'm really here to gain perspective and opinions on how you Christians think. I've come to my reality, you to yours. I'm not looking for some paradigm shifting, just understanding.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
See thats the thing about the bible that makes it so special ... if one has no faith no belief its just a book Jesus said this himself when asked why he spoke in Parables he said "Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. If you have no spirtual eyes to see or spirit filled ears to hear you will not understand ... I watch this every day a little faith a little knowledge the deeper the faith the more you read the more you understand the book is living it grows with knowledge as one grows with understanding .... I have never come across a question about life it doesnt some how answer.

Chuck55

Mar 8, 2009
QUOTE (Christina @ Mar 9 2009, 12:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70426
See thats the thing about the bible that makes it so special ... if one has no faith no belief its just a book Jesus said this himself when asked why he spoke in Parables he said "Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. If you have no spirtual eyes to see or spirit filled ears to hear you will not understand ... I watch this every day a little faith a little knowledge the deeper the faith the more you read the more you understand the book is living it grows with knowledge as one grows with understanding .... I have never come across a question about life it doesnt some how answer.
I have no idea what question you are answering....The thing that scares me most is when people try to deduce what the word of god is...Some plane hi-jackers thought they were following their god's will in 2001.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
QUOTE (Chuck55 @ Mar 8 2009, 09:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70427
I have no idea what question you are answering....The thing that scares me most is when people try to deduce what the word of god is...Some plane hi-jackers thought they were following their god's will in 2001.
But they were not following God they were following mens interptations of Allah.... God only claims one Book as his and that is reconized by the all religions around the World including Islam ... Now they say their book was written by a prophet but they also reconize the bible as Holy they just claim parts were changed however the Koran (Q'uran wasnt written untill 400 years after Christ ) Eveyone knows Gods law is thou shall not kill (murder) so whatever these wacko's claimed.. you dont have to be a Christian to know it was not God or his word they were following.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (Chuck55 @ Mar 8 2009, 11:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70427
QUOTE (Christina @ Mar 8 2009, 11:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70426
I have no idea what question you are answering....The thing that scares me most is when people try to deduce what the word of god is...Some plane hi-jackers thought they were following their god's will in 2001.This is why in everybody should pay attention to what's going on in this world. In everybody's life, whether they believe in God or not...This is pretty much all about God vs Satan (one of God's son) in everybody's life. Satan wants us to accept him our souls and die with him. Satan wanted to be God...God loves us and wishes to save us, but it is OUR Free Will to follow God or Satan, the devil... but there is always a consequences for our actions. If we love God sincerely, we are willingly to listen to Him. He is not going to force us to accept Him.And Christina is right in the above post.