Babbling Against Speaking in Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if im wrong, then the Bible must be wrong. Paul said in 1 Cor 13:8-10 “Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.”

It's wise not to close the door on angels and God. We know from the scriptures that gifts of the Holy Spirit will be poured out in the last days:

Acts 2:15-21

15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:

20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and notable day of the Lord come:

21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Scriptures aren't perfect and complete? The message isn't finished? Hmmm.

What do we need prophecy for today? We don't. It profits nothing. Not to mention it doesn't exist, at least not from God.
Maybe you might try to read my post again? It seems you didn't really understand what I said.

You seem to be making the inaccurate and unfounded assumption that when Paul says, "when that which is perfect is come", that this refers to the completion of the Bible itself. But there is no reason to think that, not from anything the Bible says. So it's just an assumption. But there is a place that is in a comparable context, that tells us about something perfect that is coming, that is not the Bible itself.

If you were to do a full study on this, you should be including that passage, do you know the passage I'm referring to? And if not, why not? Considering the pronouncements you make?

Much love!

Much love!

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you might try to read my post again? It seems you didn't really understand what I said.

You seem to be making the inaccurate and unfounded assumption that when Paul says, "when that which is perfect is come", that this refers to the completion of the Bible itself. But there is no reason to think that, not from anything the Bible says. So it's just an assumption. But there is a place that is in a comparable context, that tells us about something perfect that is coming, that is not the Bible itself.

If you were to do a full study on this, you should be including that passage, do you know the passage I'm referring to? And if not, why not? Considering the pronouncements you make?

Much love!

Much love!
I read your post. You are trying to claim it is not talking about Scripture.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...You won't find it. You appeal to 1 Corinthians 13 as part of the tongues "proof" yet it says they will cease. I guess you didn't read that part.
Yes, they will cease even as knowledge shall vanish!

"Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away." I Cor 13:8

Reactions: marks and L.A.M.B.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Assuming "that which is perfect" means the Bible itself is an innaccurate and unfounded assumption.

There is a place that tells us of what is perfect that will come, do you know what that is?

Much love!

the “perfect” you’re talking about would be when the glorification of the saved takes place.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you suggesting. She didn't say she had a prophecy to share with you.
Doesn't matter if she had it to share with me. And I am suggesting the test of the prophet. You know that all of her prophecies come true or else she be put to death. That was the test in the OT. Are you confident in your "prophecies" enough to go with that standard? And no, I'm NOT saying actually put her to death. I'm making a point.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Scriptures aren't perfect and complete? The message isn't finished? Hmmm.

What do we need prophecy for today? We don't. It profits nothing. Not to mention it doesn't exist, at least not from God.
If prophecy is not needed and tongues have ceased, then knowledge is also vanished away... right?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't matter if she had it to share with me. And I am suggesting the test of the prophet. You know that all of her prophecies come true or else she be put to death. That was the test in the OT. Are you confident in your "prophecies" enough to go with that standard? And no, I'm NOT saying actually put her to death. I'm making a point.
Can you quote scripture where it says to test the prophets. I couldn't find it. Anyways I have had false spirits tell me things and God tell me things. In fact we only know it is from God if it comes true. And we are to try the spirits:

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Deuteronomy 18:22 when a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously; thou shalt not be afraid of him.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read your post. You are trying to claim it is not talking about Scripture.
Respond to the content, or, why bother?

Scripture . . . not assumptions. It's just better that way, I assure you!

But I understand if you don't want a real discussion.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people on here do seem to have difficulty in understanding. Of course the bible is complete.
Honestly I don't know why people have such a hard time with those passages. All you have to do is look around at the world today to see knowledge has increased from the Lord. Which is a type of revelation. The bible is prophecy and revelation. How do they think we have physics, medicine and other science?

Daniel 12:4

“But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.”