Babbling Against Speaking in Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people on here do seem to have difficulty in understanding. Of course the bible is complete.
Yes, the Bible alone may be complete, but the Word of God is Not complete in me if God is still working in me purging any remnants of my Old man and his ways while filling the empty spaces with the New man and his Way!

"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, the Bible alone may be complete, but the Word of God is Not complete in me if God is still working in me purging any remnants of my Old man and his ways while filling the empty spaces with the New man and his Way!

"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30
Amen to that Amadeus. The fresh air of wisdom.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I mean if you want to be outside of Scripture that is on you.

Yes and the same back to you O clever one. I'm putting you on ignore - because I can and I have had enough of your heavy handedness.

But I would be careful about claiming you are a prophetess.
You have made that up as it not something I have said. Perhaps you should go back and read the post where you saw that again with your specs on.

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you quote scripture where it says to test the prophets. I couldn't find it. Anyways I have had false spirits tell me things and God tell me things. In fact we only know it is from God if it comes true. And we are to try the spirits:
There is this place,

1 Corinthians 14:29 KJV
Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

Though it's more, discern, rather than test.

And we shoudn't, of course, limit prophesy to predictive prophecy. There is so much more than that.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is this place,

1 Corinthians 14:29 KJV
Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

Though it's more, discern, rather than test.

And we shoudn't, of course, limit prophesy to predictive prophecy. There is so much more than that.

Much love!
What do you mean more than predictive? I know of knowledge revelation and predictive prophecy. I don't think I know of anything else.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean more than predictive? I know of knowledge revelation and predictive prophecy. I don't think I know of anything else.
Any speaking forth the word of God by the Holy Spirit.

An example from Isaiah ch. 44 the prophet describes their idolatry, and the horror it is to their lives, then goes on to announce to them God's forgiveness and love for them, such a profound expression of God's love even in the face of that!

Isaiah 44:20-23 KJV
20) He feedeth on ashes: a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say, Is there not a lie in my right hand?
21) Remember these, O Jacob and Israel; for thou art my servant: I have formed thee; thou art my servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of me.
22) I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.
23) Sing, O ye heavens; for the LORD hath done it: shout, ye lower parts of the earth: break forth into singing, ye mountains, O forest, and every tree therein: for the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any speaking forth the word of God by the Holy Spirit.

An example from Isaiah ch. 44 the prophet describes their idolatry, and the horror it is to their lives, then goes on to announce to them God's forgiveness and love for them, such a profound expression of God's love even in the face of that!

Isaiah 44:20-23 KJV
20) He feedeth on ashes: a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say, Is there not a lie in my right hand?
21) Remember these, O Jacob and Israel; for thou art my servant: I have formed thee; thou art my servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of me.
22) I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.
23) Sing, O ye heavens; for the LORD hath done it: shout, ye lower parts of the earth: break forth into singing, ye mountains, O forest, and every tree therein: for the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel.

Much love!
OK I think I know what you mean. The words of a prophet to the people. A spokesman for God.

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and marks

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and the same back to you O clever one. I'm putting you on ignore - because I can and I have had enough of your heavy handedness.

You have made that up as it not something I have said. Perhaps you should go back and read the post where you saw that again with your specs on.
You are putting me on ignore because you do not like the truth of Scripture let's get that right.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then there is zero need for prophecy.
Zero need? Do you @reformed1689 speak with the perfect words of God?

Is anyone still carried about with every wind of doctrine? Are all the parts of the whole body of Christ fitly joined together? Are all of the purposes of those gifts [five ministries] from God fulfilled already today in His people? Who and where are His people? Where is the Body of Christ?

Consider what apostle Paul wrote with regard to these things:

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love." Eph 4:11-16

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is anyone still carried about with every wind of doctrine? Are all the parts of the whole body of Christ fitly joined together? Are all of the purposes of those gifts [five ministries] from God fulfilled already today in His people? Who and where are His people? Where is the Body of Christ?

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love." Eph 4:11-16
Thank you for the best answer!

Much love!

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Prophesy is preaching, not making a prophecy.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
reformed: "No, speaking in tongues is not the only form of praying in the spirit, how absurd!"

What is absurd is your unwillingness to read the OP carefully. I never claimed tongues is the only form of praying in the Spirit. What I said was that speaking in tongues is the only form specifically identified as praying in the Spirit. In fact, praying in the Spirit in one's own language is a key to authentically praying in private prayer languages!

reforned: "We don't have prophecies anymore, unless you are talking about preaching, we do not have tongues anymore. Tongues in Scripture was never a secret prayer language."

Obviously, you have no clue as to the essence of the gift of prophecy, which is well defined in intertestamental Judaism and the early church. In fact, I wrote my Harvard doctoral thesis on the essence of the gift of prophecy and my professors recommended it for publication. As for the modern absence of prophecies and speaking in tongues, you just need to get out more! Xenoglossy has changed lives and has sparked millions of conversions. For example, just read NY Time Magazine correspondent, David Aikman's magisterial book, "Jesus in Beijing."

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Scriptures aren't perfect and complete? The message isn't finished? Hmmm.

What do we need prophecy for today? We don't. It profits nothing. Not to mention it doesn't exist, at least not from God.
I actually see that many are talking about one kind of prophecy and you are talking about another.
I wonder if the word ‘ insights ‘ was used instead of prophecy, would you understand a bit better perhaps….
God still communicates personally with us through The Holy Spirit, about life, decisions, families, concerns ect and can often give words/ insights about those things. They can sometimes be about the future , I have had that myself. Now I would class those insights as Prophecy because they are future encouragements, insights, or promises. I would not be calling myself a prophet, or claiming that anything needs to be added to scripture. I would , like others here, say that the Holy Spirit can impart these insights, it’s about communication and relationship…………so biblical prophecy may well be complete, but the gift of prophecy can still exist.
Rita

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Babbling Against Speaking in Tongues
how many have you got.....tongues that is?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know what the Bible says. And if you think me calling out falsehoods is rude? I can't help that.
You need to cease insinuating members are lying about their experiences....your doctrine of faith is your choice. Let each member be respected in the beliefs unless it is blasphemous.
Cessasionists are is the only doctrine that believes everything ceased after the apostles were gone.
Historically, the Catholic, Methodist, Moravian, and Pentecostal traditions of Christianity have preached continuations

while Dispensationalist Baptist, the confessional Reformed and Presbyterian, and much of the Anglican traditions have been cessationist.[5][1][6] Lutherans have held to a middle position, "open but cautious" continuationism, that views the full range of spiritual gifts as not given exclusively through the medium of the first century canonical apostles, but also not necessarily promised in every place and time in church history.

So basically believers are divided...cessastionists claim their doctrine is correct based on scripture....continuationists claim their doctrine is correct based on scripture.

What's most important is that everyone believes in the Gospel of Salvation through Jesus Christ....and to be saved and born again is the greatest miracle of all.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As a cessationist, i am here to tell you that the apostolic gifts are gone. John was the last apostle to die and so were the apostolic gifts.

From the OPC church, “Ephesians 2:20, then, indicates that the apostles had a temporary, noncontinuing role in the life of the church. Their place was in the important foundation-laying phase of the church's history. Their function was to provide revelatory, infallibly authoritative, canonical witness to the consummation of salvation history in Christ's finished work. That function was fulfilled. It does not belong to the superstructure-building period to follow. It instead provides the completed foundation on which Christ continues to build the superstructure of the church.”

WCF chpt 1, part 1 states;
“which maketh the Holy Scripture to be most necessary; those former ways of God's revealing his will unto his people being now ceased.”

see that? Former ways are now ceased.

hahaha! That made me laugh out loud!

You are free to, and can say and declare it as much as you want …but that doesn’t make it any more true!

As the saying goes….’ A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with (just) an argument! ‘ LOL

You are as one who stands in the pouring rain , declaring “ I am not at all wet”.
You are very wet my friend .

“Woe unto him who calls good evil , and evil good . “