Babbling Against Speaking in Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I actually see that many are talking about one kind of prophecy and you are talking about another.
I wonder if the word ‘ insights ‘ was used instead of prophecy, would you understand a bit better perhaps….
God still communicates personally with us through The Holy Spirit, about life, decisions, families, concerns ect and can often give words/ insights about those things. They can sometimes be about the future , I have had that myself. Now I would class those insights as Prophecy because they are future encouragements, insights, or promises. I would not be calling myself a prophet, or claiming that anything needs to be added to scripture. I would , like others here, say that the Holy Spirit can impart these insights, it’s about communication and relationship…………so biblical prophecy may well be complete, but the gift of prophecy can still exist.
Rita
Nope

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Critics of tongues on this site have frozen like Bambi in the headlights when confronted with these 5 unchallenged points:

(1) Paul's command to "pray in the Spirit" is fulfilled by striving to speak in tongues. 2 points establish this teaching: ( (a) Paul commands us to "pray in the Spirit" (Eph 6:18) and speaking in tongues is the only form of praying in the Spirit in the Bible (1 Cor 14:15).

(b) Paul commands us to "strive for spiritual gifts (14:1)," clarifying this command with his desire for all of us to speak in tongues (14:5). (c) Paul repeatedly commands us to imitate his spirituality (1 Cor 4:16; 11:1; Phil 3:17) and makes it clear that such imitation includes a demonstration of the Spirit and of power (4:29-20; cp. 2:4-5).

(2) Point (1) is not refuted by Paul's preference that we all prophesy (14:5). This counter-point is refuted by 2 facts: (a) Those who disregard tongues for this reason blaspheme the Holy Spirit by implying that some of His gifts are irrelevant and not needed. If speaking in tongues were not important, why does Paul celebrate the fact that he speaks in tongues more than everyone (14:18)?
(b) If prophecy is the greatest spiritual gift, speaking in tongues is just as great if it is interpreted (14:5). In that sense, both gifts are equally "great" and should therefore both be diligently sought.
(c) What critics fail to realize is this: in 1 Cor 14 Paul is addressing the specific situation in which believers are speaking in uninterpreted tongues in public worship services at which outsiders are present who are not ready for such unintelligible Spirit manifestations. But Paul encourages speaking in tongues in private prayer sessions (1 Cor 14:28; cp. 14:4) and in other public meetings (e. g. Acts 19:1-6).

(3) Point (1) is not refuted by the false claim that the gift of speaking in tongues is not divinely intended for everyone (12:29-30). (a) Paul insists that we "can all prophesy one by one (14:31)." Yet the gift of prophesy is included in Paul's list that critics invoke to claim that these gifts are not divinely intended for everyone. So what Paul is instead teaching is this: Look around you: not everyone actually exercises their prophetic potential, but I want all believers to do so. (b) So when Paul encourages us all to speak in tongues, he clearly means that this gift if available to all believers.

(4) In 3 of the 4 times people receive the Holy Spirit in Acts, they demonstrate this by speaking in tongues (2:1-18; 10:44-47; 19:1-6). In the 4th case, tongues are not mentioned, but the experience of receiving the Spirit is so dramatic that Simon the Magician offers money to learn the secret of channeling such power (8:19-20). So it is reasonable to believe that these Samaritan converts also spoke in tongues when they received their Spirit baptism. This well established pattern does not mean that Spirit baptism requires speaking in tongues (see 1 Cor 12:13); but it is further evidence that the gift of tongues should be diligently sought (1 Cor 12:31: 14:1).

(5) The tongues in contemporary languages in Acts 2 is NOT normative for later manifestations of this gift. That eruption is identified as prophecy (2:17-18 citing Joel 2:28), but tongues is subsequently distinguished from prophecy (19:5-6; 1 Cor 12,v 14). The tongues in Acts 10:44-47 and 19:1-6 are neither understood nor interpreted. In Greco-Roman parallels speaking in tongues (Greek: "glossai") is understood as ecstatic gibberish that needs a prophet for interpretation. Paul prefers to view this non-human gibberish as angelic language (1 Cor 13:1) and labels tongues speakers as "zealots of spirits (14:12)" a phrase that means "zealots of angels (see Heb 1:7)." Jews in Paul's day embraced the possibility of interpreting angelic languages.

Edi
When it comes to speaking in tongues, I think we should be aware of this:

[27] If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn; and let one interpret.
[28] But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silence in church and speak to himself and to God. 1 Corinthians 14:27-28 RSV

Reactions: marks and dev553344

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree @Beserk
I am baptized in water and baptized and full of the Holy Spirit as in Acts with evidence of tongues.

I do not have this lie that is passing among false leaders and false witnesses. HE is his own the language in prayer and it is a language between the Spirit of which Paul's says making groanings he utters on our behalf and with God.

He cannot be taught to someone to speak in tongues,it comes from deep within by his power. These last days ppl are very near blasphemy if not already having committed it in this damnable lie of just say........ real fast.

The word teaches us not to fear what to say when brought before authorities but that the HS will give us what to say. We must also rely on him to BUILD US UP, PRAYING IN THE HOLY GHOST!.

We have been bought with a price and God wants NONE to perish so by our belief he prepares us with the whole arsenal of himself and his word. This is our right to have the POWER of God by receiving the Holy Ghost.

You can either seek and accept this gift as with the gift of salvation or not,you will NOT be forced.

May we each desire to receive the fullness of God that he might be pleased with our life in Him and that HE MIGHT RECEIVE ALL GLORY!
Not everyone will have the gifts of tongues.
God bestows gifts on who He will.
He can receive glory from someone who does not have that gift.

Reactions: amadeus and marks

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Critics of tongues on this site have frozen like Bambi in the headlights when confronted with these 5 unchallenged points:

(1) Paul's command to "pray in the Spirit" is fulfilled by striving to speak in tongues. 2 points establish this teaching: ( (a) Paul commands us to "pray in the Spirit" (Eph 6:18) and speaking in tongues is the only form of praying in the Spirit in the Bible (1 Cor 14:15).

(b) Paul commands us to "strive for spiritual gifts (14:1)," clarifying this command with his desire for all of us to speak in tongues (14:5). (c) Paul repeatedly commands us to imitate his spirituality (1 Cor 4:16; 11:1; Phil 3:17) and makes it clear that such imitation includes a demonstration of the Spirit and of power (4:29-20; cp. 2:4-5).
How does speaking in tongues equate praying in the spirit? Do a search for the term "In the Spirit" in the NT and guess what, it has nothing to do with praying specifically. It also has nothing to do with tongues specifically. So to automatically equate speaking in tongues with praying in the spirit is just poor hermeneutics. We also walk in the spirit, live in the spirit. Do those also mean speaking in tongues? Nonsense. You only ascribe that to prayer because that is how the modern day Pentecostals speak in tongues.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When it comes to speaking in tongues, I think we should be aware of this:

[27] If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn; and let one interpret.
[28] But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silence in church and speak to himself and to God. 1 Corinthians 14:27-28 RSV

In church, someone should be there to interpret. Outside of church, God understands speaking/praying in tongues just fine. As Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 14:18, "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you" and in 14:39, "So then, brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid anyone from speaking in tongues."

Reactions: amadeus

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In church, someone should be there to interpret. Outside of church, God understands speaking/praying in tongues just fine. As Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 14:18, "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you" and in 14:39, "So then, brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid anyone from speaking in tongues."
I think God understands everything.

Reactions: marks and amadeus

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does speaking in tongues equate praying in the spirit? Do a search for the term "In the Spirit" in the NT and guess what, it has nothing to do with praying specifically. It also has nothing to do with tongues specifically. So to automatically equate speaking in tongues with praying in the spirit is just poor hermeneutics. We also walk in the spirit, live in the spirit. Do those also mean speaking in tongues? Nonsense. You only ascribe that to prayer because that is how the modern day Pentecostals speak in tongues.
How are you affected by how others pray. My faith and beliefs are not affected by how you believe. I receive miracles because I refuse to limit God in how He chooses to manifest His power....ALL things are possible to those who believe...
Mark 9 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
²² And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.
²³ Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
²⁴ And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

There was no apostle who could deliver this child....
Mark 9 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
²⁵ When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.
²⁶ And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead.
²⁷ But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose.
²⁸ And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out?
²⁹ And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.
It was by the power and authority of Jesus and the man who said "help my unbelief" that moved Him to perform this miracle.

God is all powerful and nothing is impossible to Him....especially miracles...yesterday, today and forever He remains the same.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(2) Point (1) is not refuted by Paul's preference that we all prophesy (14:5). This counter-point is refuted by 2 facts: (a) Those who disregard tongues for this reason blaspheme the Holy Spirit by implying that some of His gifts are irrelevant and not needed. If speaking in tongues were not important, why does Paul celebrate the fact that he speaks in tongues more than everyone (14:18)?
(b) If prophecy is the greatest spiritual gift, speaking in tongues is just as great if it is interpreted (14:5). In that sense, both gifts are equally "great" and should therefore both be diligently sought.
(c) What critics fail to realize is this: in 1 Cor 14 Paul is addressing the specific situation in which believers are speaking in uninterpreted tongues in public worship services at which outsiders are present who are not ready for such unintelligible Spirit manifestations. But Paul encourages speaking in tongues in private prayer sessions (1 Cor 14:28; cp. 14:4) and in other public meetings (e. g. Acts 19:1-6).

(3) Point (1) is not refuted by the false claim that the gift of speaking in tongues is not divinely intended for everyone (12:29-30). (a) Paul insists that we "can all prophesy one by one (14:31)." Yet the gift of prophesy is included in Paul's list that critics invoke to claim that these gifts are not divinely intended for everyone. So what Paul is instead teaching is this: Look around you: not everyone actually exercises their prophetic potential, but I want all believers to do so. (b) So when Paul encourages us all to speak in tongues, he clearly means that this gift if available to all believers.

(4) In 3 of the 4 times people receive the Holy Spirit in Acts, they demonstrate this by speaking in tongues (2:1-18; 10:44-47; 19:1-6). In the 4th case, tongues are not mentioned, but the experience of receiving the Spirit is so dramatic that Simon the Magician offers money to learn the secret of channeling such power (8:19-20). So it is reasonable to believe that these Samaritan converts also spoke in tongues when they received their Spirit baptism. This well established pattern does not mean that Spirit baptism requires speaking in tongues (see 1 Cor 12:13); but it is further evidence that the gift of tongues should be diligently sought (1 Cor 12:31: 14:1).

(5) The tongues in contemporary languages in Acts 2 is NOT normative for later manifestations of this gift. That eruption is identified as prophecy (2:17-18 citing Joel 2:28), but tongues is subsequently distinguished from prophecy (19:5-6; 1 Cor 12,v 14). The tongues in Acts 10:44-47 and 19:1-6 are neither understood nor interpreted. In Greco-Roman parallels speaking in tongues (Greek: "glossai") is understood as ecstatic gibberish that needs a prophet for interpretation. Paul prefers to view this non-human gibberish as angelic language (1 Cor 13:1) and labels tongues speakers as "zealots of spirits (14:12)" a phrase that means "zealots of angels (see Heb 1:7)." Jews in Paul's day embraced the possibility of interpreting angelic languages.

Edi
Headlights don’t affect me and I don’t believe in speaking in tongues.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everyone will have the gifts of tongues.
God bestows gifts on who He will.
He can receive glory from someone who does not have that gift.

I agree. God can use ALL his followers if we submit in obedience to his will.
What I AM saying is he has NOT ceased to GIVE to his children, to those that seek,for it is written...seek and you shall find,ask and it will be given ,knock and it shall be opened !

Each must find their own path and work out their own journey in Him.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and the same back to you O clever one. I'm putting you on ignore - because I can and I have had enough of your heavy handedness.

You have made that up as it not something I have said. Perhaps you should go back and read the post where you saw that again with your specs on.

I did just that right at the start of the balderdash!

Reactions: marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I did just that right at the start of the balderdash!
Good! I should have done it sooner.

I think part of my trouble, why I just didn't put him on ignore earlier, is that as a woman I have been 'programmed' to believe somewhere in my subconscious that men have authority. I used to back down when I first started joining forums but I don't now as I believe as a daughter of God I have authority and also a duty to not let people peddle untruth.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How are you affected by how others pray. My faith and beliefs are not affected by how you believe. I receive miracles because I refuse to limit God in how He chooses to manifest His power....ALL things are possible to those who believe...
Mark 9 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
²² And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.
²³ Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
²⁴ And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

There was no apostle who could deliver this child....
Mark 9 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
²⁵ When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.
²⁶ And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead.
²⁷ But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose.
²⁸ And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out?
²⁹ And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.
It was by the power and authority of Jesus and the man who said "help my unbelief" that moved Him to perform this miracle.

God is all powerful and nothing is impossible to Him....especially miracles...yesterday, today and forever He remains the same.
I don't limit God. False accusation.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God understands everything.
Yes, He surely does, but is He not interested in what we will do with all that He has provided?

Adam and Eve chose wrongly on the one choice that made a difference. How well does God see us doing with our choice? God or mammon?

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, He surely does, but is He not interested in what we will do with all that He has provided?

Adam and Eve chose wrongly on the one choice that made a difference. How well does God see us doing with our choice? God or mammon?
I think a lot of people like power.

Reactions: Pearl and amadeus

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think a lot of people like power.
Satan tricks people into making selfish choices. The serpent was the most subtle of all the creatures God made (Genesis 3:1).

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Headlights don’t affect me and I don’t believe in speaking in tongues.
Not every body can pray in tongues but there a lot of us who can so whether you believe in it or not it's a fact. Unless of course you are dismissing our personal experiences.

Reactions: marks and amadeus