Baptism question that seems unbiblical

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our Pastor after 20 years of service, retired last year. The new Pastor said, baptism is just water. He claimed, he would baptize us 3, 4, or 5 times...as many times as it took to get it right. Is this even biblical.See, I thought we was to place our faith in the Lord. That God would do as He promised. Getting rebaptized so often by the same Pastor, would make one doubt the Pastor whom was baptizing and also doubt God. Too me, it seemed odd, so my wife and I, went to another church. We took it, that the new Pastor was a false prophet. Thank you for a response..

its my understanding that there were many pools for baptism by water in John's day in Israel, but John baptized unto repentance n the Jordon his cry was repent. though Jesus started with the same repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, He didn't baptize anyone by water his disciples did.

therefore what men can baptize you with brings what? and what the Son of God baptizes you with is Life everlasting.

so its a whatever on water and Life giving in the Holy Spirit. you can fake a supposed result of water but you can't do so with the Holy Spirit.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
And when did you literaly go down into the grave with Jesus? As col says we were baptised into his death. We didn't die or get burried, or acended into heaven.

These are all things that are attributed to us and baptise is a picture of them.

We are not made Christian when we are baptised as baptism is a wirness that we are Christian.
Well, IS baptise a picture of them?
The verses I posted say the we died with Him to be reborn with Him.
Romans 12:1 says that we are to present ourselves a living sacrifice.
Is that only symbolic too?

A part of us does die when we become born again. The part that served satan.

I don't know why it was so important, but Jesus said to be baptised.
To die and be reborn with Him. He made it seem like more than a symbol.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A part of us does die when we become born again. The part that served satan.

I don't know why it was so important, but Jesus said to be baptised.
To die and be reborn with Him. He made it seem like more than a symbol
Would that were true, I like Paul find all to often the good I want to do I don't do and the evil I don't want to do I do.

Baptism shows we are Christian and are seeking to be obedient. Like communion it is a picture that challenges us and strengthens us in our relationship with God.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
its my understanding that there were many pools for baptism by water in John's day in Israel, but John baptized unto repentance n the Jordon his cry was repent. though Jesus started with the same repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, He didn't baptize anyone by water his disciples did.

therefore what men can baptize you with brings what? and what the Son of God baptizes you with is Life everlasting.

so its a whatever on water and Life giving in the Holy Spirit. you can fake a supposed result of water but you can't do so with the Holy Spirit.

Just used you for a platform to respond LOL. Remember what John the Baptist said "I baptize you with water" BUT " the one that I am not worthy to undo His Shoes, Will Baptize With Fire. And you are right Jesus never Baptized anyone, His Baptism came on Pentecost. It is funny John was filled with the Holy Spirit from His Mothers Womb, and yet He Requested Jesus to Baptize Him!!!

Reactions: Pisteuo

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other thing, What is the Name of the Father, what is the name of the Son, and what is the Name of the Holy Spirit, for Jesus said to baptize in His name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Helen

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes DP, there were many Mikva [Baptize] pools on the Temple Mount, and many more within the City of Jerusalem, which the people would use before going to the Temple. It was a ritual, so to speak, a cleansing of sorts before coming before God at the Temple, and bring an offering to the Alter. You See what we call baptism was nothing New to the Hebrew people. Now if you will consider! when the Priests came out to John in the wilderness where He was Baptizing for the repentance of sin, they ask who are you, and John said I am Not the Messiah, then they asked Him are you Elijah, He said no, Then they asked Him are you THE PROPHET! He said I am not! who are you so we can give an answer to those who sent us-- Which were the Pharisees, the religious leaders of that Time. Remember the people were flocking OUT to John, and no one was back in the Temple using the pools there! John was drawing people away from the Pharisees FALSE RELIGION, and they did not like it! These that came out were looking to find something that they could accuse John of to bring Him in for Judgment!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other thing, What is the Name of the Father, what is the name of the Son, and what is the Name of the Holy Spirit, for Jesus said to baptize in His name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that could be a very long list depending on what you mean, of which one might start with "Elohim" (Creator and Judge) I think I spelled that correctly.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes DP, there were many Mikva [Baptize] pools on the Temple Mount, and many more within the City of Jerusalem, which the people would use before going to the Temple. It was a ritual, so to speak, a cleansing of sorts before coming before God at the Temple, and bring an offering to the Alter. You See what we call baptism was nothing New to the Hebrew people. Now if you will consider! when the Priests came out to John in the wilderness where He was Baptizing for the repentance of sin, they ask who are you, and John said I am Not the Messiah, then they asked Him are you Elijah, He said no, Then they asked Him are you THE PROPHET! He said I am not! who are you so we can give an answer to those who sent us-- Which were the Pharisees, the religious leaders of that Time. Remember the people were flocking OUT to John, and no one was back in the Temple using the pools there! John was drawing people away from the Pharisees FALSE RELIGION, and they did not like it! These that came out were looking to find something that they could accuse John of to bring Him in for Judgment!

if I understand you correctly, what you are saying here is, back then it was common to repeatedly be baptized with water. interesting. the thing is, the gentile churches seem to have their own take on baptism by water, and have a full disregard for the chosen people's understanding thereof. Jesus spoke to the Jews (the chosen people) in accordance to their relationship with the Lord, even though they may not have known Jesus is the Lord.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that could be a very long list depending on what you mean, of which one might start with "Elohim" (Creator and Judge) I think I spelled that correctly.

Very True! But, there will always be a But,LOL, There are many Titles for God and Savior, But there is only One Name!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if I understand you correctly, what you are saying here is, back then it was common to repeatedly be baptized with water. interesting. the thing is, the gentile churches seem to have their own take on baptism by water, and have a full disregard for the chosen people's understanding thereof. Jesus spoke to the Jews (the chosen people) in accordance to their relationship with the Lord, even though they may not have known Jesus is the Lord.

One must come to an understanding about Hebrew culture, Before Christ! men would repent, and Mikva in moving waters, as to say they were washed clean, and their sin would flow away downstream. There has always been forgiveness of sin, take David for example! to obtain everlasting Life I believe was another matter! If we look into the Scriptures, we can find that there was a sprinkling of waters also, which were to cleanse people before they interred the Temple Courts, they use the ashes of the red Heifer, along with Hyssop, and scarlet wool, just another Temple ordnance. God told Moses to set the people apart, for three days, in the wilderness, they were told to clean up, lay out their garments, and not to be with their wives!![ that is another issue] before they were to come up the Mount Sinai, and receive the ten Commandments. Yes Hebrews Mikva-ed Often, It was a Shadow of things to Come! There are the Oraca'ls of God which is His Word's. Then there are the Living Oracal's which are the thing's that they put into practice, like Passover, and so on. will elaborate further if you would Like !

Reactions: Pisteuo

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Would that were true, I like Paul find all to often the good I want to do I don't do and the evil I don't want to do I do.

Baptism shows we are Christian and are seeking to be obedient. Like communion it is a picture that challenges us and strengthens us in our relationship with God.
I could live with that.
I just hate when it's called a symbol.
I'm sure we all realize it's an outer sign of an inward change, but Jesus did make it sound so much more important...

That's what I'm saying...

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One must come to an understanding about Hebrew culture, Before Christ! men would repent, and Mikva in moving waters, as to say they were washed clean, and their sin would flow away downstream. There has always been forgiveness of sin, take David for example! to obtain everlasting Life I believe was another matter! If we look into the Scriptures, we can find that there was a sprinkling of waters also, which were to cleanse people before they interred the Temple Courts, they use the ashes of the red Heifer, along with Hyssop, and scarlet wool, just another Temple ordnance. God told Moses to set the people apart, for three days, in the wilderness, they were told to clean up, lay out their garments, and not to be with their wives!![ that is another issue] before they were to come up the Mount Sinai, and receive the ten Commandments. Yes Hebrews Mikva-ed Often, It was a Shadow of things to Come! There are the Oraca'ls of God which is His Word's. Then there are the Living Oracal's which are the thing's that they put into practice, like Passover, and so on. will elaborate further if you would Like !

when it comes to everlasting Life the restoration of the Life that was lost in the garden was understood by those who served the Lord their God such as Noah, Abraham, Moses, and many others. Jesus verifies this with:
Joh 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

as far as your offer "will elaborate further if you would Like" please do.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I just hate when it's called a symbol.
the prob is that baptism just as often--at least--might only be showing our desire to join a club, and escape hell, see. I even know salesmen who always join the most "successful" church in town, and go through the "salvation" routine, repeatedly, just to make more sales. Had a guy describe to me that he used to have to move every time he did this, but we are so disconnected now that he can go right across the street and do it again!
I'm sure we all realize it's an outer sign of an inward change
unless it is not, yes

CharlesC

Jan 26, 2018
Belle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
addressing the OP, I read your post, twice. my question to you is this, was it the person getting baptize requested it to be done again? or was it the Pastor, who would just do it on his own, baptizing 2, 3, or 4 times. I have a reason in asking this. I'll be looking for your reply.

PCY.
The Pastor, posed that he would baptized us....

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
the prob is that baptism just as often--at least--might only be showing our desire to join a club, and escape hell, see. I even know salesmen who always join the most "successful" church in town, and go through the "salvation" routine, repeatedly, just to make more sales. Had a guy describe to me that he used to have to move every time he did this, but we are so disconnected now that he can go right across the street and do it again!

unless it is not, yes
I said it is also more than that.
Hope you read all my posts here.

(I never even got an alert for this post. Sorry.)

Reactions: bbyrd009

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Water ! WE have it all upon belief......... We are all Gentiles in these day's............

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eph.2;
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I said it is also more than that.
when one is able to read spiritually, and see, certainly; it ceases to be about the ritual at that point, and is spiritually translated into IRL. As soon as we realize that a soul might certainly be accepted without ever going through the ritual, right? Doesn't negate the meaning of the ritual, but supersedes it, puts the ritual where it belongs iow
but Jesus did make it sound so much more important...
certainly, bc it is not something meant to be done 3 times a year or once a week or whatever, or even made profane by doing it every day; it is meant to be lived. The ritual is supposed to be strictly a reminder, or acknowledgement of the true Communion, which is IRL, can only be IRL.

I came that you might have communion, more abundantly

lol, right, when the ritual is in view; but a perfect rephrase, when life is meant