Because of the stubborness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Redeemed22

Nov 10, 2009
Citizen of Heaven
I had an interesting thought the other day. Moses allowed divorce because of the stubborness of the people, even though divorce totally spits on the sanctity of marriage, and furiates God. Divorce degrades society. Divorce separates what God has put together.Indeed, the government shouldn't and can't outlaw every single sin.The government punishes some sins, and leaves others for final punishment.We can get so riled up condemning one sin or another that we forget it is God that brings final justice. That said, God does want the government to stop or punish (to the limited degree which mortals can) some sins. Theft, for example. Murder, for example.Lying is a sin that can fall into the "prohibit" or "let God take care of it" categories, depending on the context. For example, we outlaw lying under oath, but lying about your weight to a friend (which is sinful, and thus destructive) is permitted.The thought: Although homosexuality is sinful and, I believe, destructive, and although my currently political leaning is to ban gay marriage- is gay "marriage" eligible to be in the category of "don't outlaw but let God take care of justice"?I am NOT asking if the government should or should not allow gay "marriage". I am asking if we need to justify outlawing gay "marriage" by saying more than "it is sinful and spits on the sanctity of marriage." Do we need to show that it has an unabiguously (to the non-believer) negative effect on society like general theft? Do we need to say something else?Also, why is divorce, even when it is for totally unbiblical reasons, permitted?Is it better to permitt it, even in those circumstances?BTW, God's love for those who struggle with homosexuality is great. Just as His love is great for those who struggle with lying.