Biblical Support v Explicit Biblical Teaching

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to insist the bible doesn't actually contain long standing teachings held precious by Christians.

Don’t you see how this puts tradition over the very word of God?

The burden is on the one making the positive claim. Not sure why Christians hold teachings precious if they are not explicit in Scripture?

For instance, it is explicit that man was created on Day 6. When woman was made is not explicit. Why invent a teaching and hold it precious when Scripture does not make it explicit? See OSAS.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
Christ is called "the Word of God" or "the Logos of God" because He is the divine expression, and the express image of the invisible God -- God the Father. Words express thoughts and minds, so Christ the Word expresses the mind and heart of God in every way. Therefore He said "If you have seen me you have seen the Father". "No man hath seen God [the Father] at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared [expressed] Him" (John 1:18)

At the same time, since Jesus is also the Creator, He is aptly called "the Word" because He spoke the universe into existence. He said "Let there be light, and there was light". But we cannot divorce the Father and the Holy Spirit from creation either, since the Bible says "For in six days the LORD [YaHWeH] made heaven and the earth, the seas, and all that in them is...". Yahweh applies to both the Father and the Son, and by extension to the Holy Spirit also.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is denying the divinity of Christ,
his being holy God, blasphemy of that holy spirit?

This question 100% goes against the words of Christ. My point here is why are you requiring belief that Jesus himself did not articulate? And why are you combining what Jesus Himself separated?

Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man can be forgiven
Matthew 12:32

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Explicit Bible Doctrine: Scripture plainly written without possible differing interpretations.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Clearly, you have no idea what an explicit teaching means as you use the most figurative language in Scripture as your standard of explicit. Compare to:

High Priest: Are You God’s Anointed, the Liberating King,the Son of the Blessed One?
Jesus: 62 I am.
Mark 14:61-62

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

In the beginning ~ With God - Was the Word.

And the Word was with God. And the Word was God.

How could the Word be was God - Unless The Word is Part of the Father.

When the Father opened metaphorically his mouth - the Word (Logos) was powerful enough to create what that Father had spoken, and thus the Word created everything. The Word was with God in the beginning, and Was part of God, and was with God.

The Word took a lower position - and became flesh ~ named Jesus Christ - which the holy spirit fell upon and the Father was with his beloved Son - Who was with the Father from the beginning, was with God, and was part of God -> now made flesh taking a lower position even below all the angels.

Jesus Christ is the Son of God ; Who is a reflection of His Father who lived-in Him -> by the Fathers spirit ->

You realize Jesus Christ lives in us today right? By faith and trust in God and having faith, in the Lord Jesus Christ. Right now today we can have relationship with the Father and the Son.

Just as the Son and the Father where one with each other. As Jesus Christ walked around having flesh like us, but His Father was with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Why else would Jesus Christ talk about His Father so much ~ His God - My God ~ Our God, the creator who ~ Allowed the Word to Create -> Who was the Lord Jesus Christ who became flesh who was once the Word, and very near and part of God - for Jesus was the mouth piece creator who created the World, and everything with-in and everyone ` who has a living soul with-in them.

This is my own interpertation which may be wrong.

Do believe God lived with-in the Lord Jesus Christ that God was with us in Christ - as Emmanuel.

The Father raised the Son up back to life.

Last edited:

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This question 100% goes against the words of Christ. My point here is why are you requiring belief that Jesus himself did not articulate? And why are you combining what Jesus Himself separated?

That is God right there. Read Matthew 12:32 and obey. As long as you are alive you still have time to repent of your Ill intentions against Jesus' truth.
Praying for you.

Last edited:

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The burden is on the one making the positive claim. Not sure why Christians hold teachings precious if they are not explicit in Scripture?

For instance, it is explicit that man was created on Day 6. When woman was made is not explicit. Why invent a teaching and hold it precious when Scripture does not make it explicit? See OSAS.
"Not sure why Christians hold teachings precious if they are not explicit in Scripture? "
You refer to Christians in third person. Removing yourself from our communion with Christ.
Now your motives here make sense.

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Jesus' equality with God - Biblically Supported
Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

2. Mary's eternal virginity. Biblical disproved
Matthew 13:55
Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas?

3. Once Saved Always Saved Biblically supported (but you REALLY have to be saved...many who say they are have not made the utter commitment needed)
Hebrews 13:5
Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Reactions: Amazed@grace

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are some topics that if you accept the doctrine, you can find passages that seem to support it. However, this is not the same as an explicit Biblical teaching, e.g., Roman 3:21-25. We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus, who took our sins away. Or John 14:6 Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. No one goes to the Father but through Jesus.

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Apologetics forum or the Debate forum but it seems many confuse doctrines they have with actual explicit Biblical teaching. If one starts with the doctrine, one can find verses that APPEAR to support their doctrine but other alternative explanations for the application or interpretation of the verse ought to be considered. The most famous is John 1:1, which does not even mention Jesus.

So, John 1:1 can support a doctrine one already believes but cannot be used as an example of an explicit Biblical teaching, such as God created man on the 6th day and then rested. I think there would be a lot less infighting if we humbly recognized the difference between doctrines which have Biblical Support v Explicit Biblical Teaching.

I will say this about your OP, Wrangler. I'm never much debating doctrine. I all for discussing and debating scripture. The more accurately we interpret individual verses and passages, the more we can then start nailing down accurate doctrines. Maybe this goes in line with what you were saying.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once Saved Always Saved
Forever Virgin Mary
Absolute Equality Between the Father and the Son

These are some topics that if you accept the doctrine, you can find passages that seem to support it. However, this is not the same as an explicit Biblical teaching, e.g., Roman 3:21-25. We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus, who took our sins away. Or John 14:6 Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. No one goes to the Father but through Jesus.

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Apologetics forum or the Debate forum but it seems many confuse doctrines they have with actual explicit Biblical teaching. If one starts with the doctrine, one can find verses that APPEAR to support their doctrine but other alternative explanations for the application or interpretation of the verse ought to be considered. The most famous is John 1:1, which does not even mention Jesus.

So, John 1:1 can support a doctrine one already believes but cannot be used as an example of an explicit Biblical teaching, such as God created man on the 6th day and then rested. I think there would be a lot less infighting if we humbly recognized the difference between doctrines which have Biblical Support v Explicit Biblical Teaching. See 109 page debate on Once Saved Always Saved. Thoughts?

Your error here is that doctrine is established by many many verses both explicit and implied.

John 1:1 is an example. Yes thte verse does not tell us who the Word is. So if this was the only passage about this word then it is subject to debate! But we have this passage which makes this an explicit teaching:

John 1
King James Version

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

This plus the fact Jesus said He came from heaven lets us know explicitly from Scripture teaching that the Word who is god- became flesh and dwelt with men.

Explicit bible teaching is more than just looking at one verse, but many verses tied to teh same subject!

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you get the impression what Mav's real intent is to continually insist Jesus did not exist?

• Denying Jesus divinity
  • Denying eternal salvation
  • Denying scripture sustains Christians faith because what we hold as truth is actually not able to be proven in explicit language in scripture.
:(

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you get the impression what Mav's real intent is to continually insist Jesus did not exist?

• Denying Jesus divinity
  • Denying eternal salvation
  • Denying scripture sustains Christians faith because what we hold as truth is actually not able to be proven in explicit language in scripture.
:(

Not sure who "Mav" is, but these would not be doctrines I would defend either.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are so blinded by your desire to be an iconoclast that you forget that many many many "traditions" in Christinaity are biblical doctrines!

Like once saved always saved
The absolute deity of Jesus

and many others that you may or may not agree with teh Word of God on.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once Saved Always Saved
Forever Virgin Mary
Absolute Equality Between the Father and the Son

So, John 1:1 can support a doctrine one already believes but cannot be used as an example of an explicit Biblical teaching, such as God created man on the 6th day and then rested. I think there would be a lot less infighting if we humbly recognized the difference between doctrines which have Biblical Support v Explicit Biblical Teaching. See 109 page debate on Once Saved Always Saved. Thoughts?

Well as you have yet to define either here or in the other thread I have called you to do so on- we cannot answer what you mean by equality of jesus with the Father!

I use the accepted dictionary definition:

e·qual·i·ty
/əˈkwälədē/

noun
  1. the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities.
If you disagree with this definition, then say what you accept as a definition of "equality" for it certainly appears you do not agree with this definitiopn.

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, another example of a doctrine with support (on both sides) is Soul Sleep.
Have you ever considered that things that are not plainly expressed in the bible are not plainly expressed for a reason?
God tells us what we need to know if we find ourselves arguing over little details, that serves no purpose in the kingdom, that is what the Pharisees did. Straining out gnats and swallowing camels

Do you really need to possess all knowledge?

For my self I can apprehend the trinity (grasp the idea of it) but never will I comprehend it. and I am okay with that.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will say this about your OP, Wrangler. I'm never much debating doctrine. I all for discussing and debating scripture. The more accurately we interpret individual verses and passages, the more we can then start nailing down accurate doctrines. Maybe this goes in line with what you were saying.

Yes, exactly. Of course, most people equate the doctrines they hold with what Scripture says. Hence, recognizing 'support' may be akin to seeing human faces in inanimate objects but actual explicit teachings are golden nuggets.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do realize this thread is segregating 'Biblically' approved with being explicitly taught, right?
Do you? Jesus, Immanuel's, divinity is explicitly taught in scripture. And as recorded in the New Testament, from the lips of Jesus himself.
Why do you ignore those explicit proofs your insisting Jesus was not divine is wholly,holy, refuted by God himself? :(

Would you like that we pray for you to come into his truth and be saved from what leads you to promote deception here?
We have a prayer forum. Just ask. :)