bill nye the science guy has agreed to a debate

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
Probably not. Bill Nye is too cool to back down. Plus, it would really help his cause to further science education, and to keep creationism out of science class rooms.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
http://www.christianpost.com/news/richard-dawkins-foundation-slams-upcoming-ken-ham-bill-nye-debate-for-offering-credibility-to-creationism-112855/

Would anyone here like to debate the earth is flat?
yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
If only we could increase our carbon footprint to such a degree that the oceans fizzed like a soda. No one would ever call the earth flat again.

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
Arnie Manitoba said:
The earth has to be flat , otherwise all the water would run off.
I can't tell a person's tone online, are you being serious or sarcastic?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
snr5557 said:
There is only one correct answer to this question: Yes, Yes he is.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
snr5557 said:
Neither serious nor sarcastic .... I was (trying) to be humorous and should have put a :) in the post.

But on a "serious" note .... in the early disputes about a round earth or a flat earth , scientists were conflicted .... their "common sense" and logic dictated the earth had to be flat ,,,,, otherwise all the oceans would spill off .

For a while there was the belief that at the outer edges of the (flat) earth a person would fall off if they went too far.

It was not until gravity was understood before it became easier to accept a round earth.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Arnie Manitoba said:
Neither serious nor sarcastic .... I was (trying) to be humorous and should have put a :) in the post.

But on a "serious" note .... in the early disputes about a round earth or a flat earth , scientists were conflicted .... their "common sense" and logic dictated the earth had to be flat ,,,,, otherwise all the oceans would spill off .

For a while there was the belief that at the outer edges of the (flat) earth a person would fall off if they went too far.

It was not until gravity was understood before it became easier to accept a round earth.
flat-earth-falls.jpg

Image by Macroworld.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
one my favorite paintings shows Columbus' three ships about to sail off the flat Earth - the painting is called 'I Told You So'

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wasn't the whole flat Earth thing a bit overblown? I remember some work had been done suggesting that not everyone thought the Earth was flat and it perhaps was a minority view.

Regardless, I am not this excited about this debate. I am surprised that Nye wants to go on Ham's home turf. Regardless, both sides will claim victory. I don't think it will solve anything nor will it be that much a spectacle. This article sums up my own thoughts.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Arnie Manitoba said:
The earth has to be flat , otherwise all the water would run off.
Of course planet Earth is flat. Haven't you seen the movie Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End?

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
snr5557 said:
Probably not. Bill Nye is too cool to back down. Plus, it would really help his cause to further science education, and to keep creationism out of science class roo
since when has atheism become cool?
the cool guy in the debate is the Christian who believes the bible..

HammerStone said:
Wasn't the whole flat Earth thing a bit overblown? I remember some work had been done suggesting that not everyone thought the Earth was flat and it perhaps was a minority view.

Regardless, I am not this excited about this debate. I am surprised that Nye wants to go on Ham's home turf. Regardless, both sides will claim victory. I don't think it will solve anything nor will it be that much a spectacle. This article sums up my own thoughts.
Ham is not out to destroy Bill Nye.

.he is out to introduce him by way of science to the creator of all things.

there is no reason in the world why NYE has to die NOT KNOWING JESUS.

WHO just by the power of his word created all things .

Gods word will be used and it never returns to God void . IT ALWAYS ACCOMPLISHES what God sets out to do.

it either saves or if constantly rejected hardens and condemns for ever.
pray for Nye this might be his time of grace no one guaranteed a tomorrow.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
HammerStone said:

Hammer ..... It's been a long time since I read up about it so (from memory) .... some of the diehard bible believers tried to claim the earth was round based on the scripture that says ..... "God sits above the (circle) (sphere) of the earth".

Remember it was back at the time "scientists" thought the earth had to be flat ... so the scripture guys were laughed at.

Part of the round earth theory was also based on the observation that the ... sun .... moon ... and planets were all "round"

The earth throws a circular shadow on the moon during an eclipse which showed it was "round" .... but some also said it could be a "flat circle"

some background here including early jewish and Christian views

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
Arnie Manitoba said:
Hammer ..... It's been a long time since I read up about it so (from memory) .... some of the diehard bible believers tried to claim the earth was round based on the scripture that says ..... "God sits above the (circle) (sphere) of the earth".

Remember it was back at the time "scientists" thought the earth had to be flat ... so the scripture guys were laughed at.

Part of the round earth theory was also based on the observation that the ... sun .... moon ... and planets were all "round"

The earth throws a circular shadow on the moon during an eclipse which showed it was "round" .... but some also said it could be a "flat circle"

some background here including early jewish and Christian views

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth
you mean you guys are not die hard bible believers?

I thought this was a bible believing web site..

not a rejecting of the bible web site..

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hammer - i have read the same information about the flat earth being a minority view.

i think you right about the debate too. believers will feel vidicated on both sides. mormons send out their 20 year olds into the mission field to convience them of Mormonism, not so much to convert outsiders

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Wasn't the whole flat Earth thing a bit overblown?
It's generally considered overblown by those Christians who believe all matter was created 6000 years ago and the flood was world wide.

But that's another discussion.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
snr5557, on 21 Jan 2014 - 8:29 PM, said:
snr5557 said:
Probably not. Bill Nye is too cool to back down. Plus, it would really help his cause to further science education, and to keep creationism out of science class room.
horsecamp said:
since when has atheism become cool?

Mark Buchheim, biologist: “Science is indeed a powerful tool, but science is, by default, mute with regard to anything outside the natural world. The late Stephen J. Gould introduced the concept of NOMA, or non-overlapping magisteria, to describe how science and faith co-exist in “mutual humility.” The point I’m making here is that science, stripped of any philosophical assumptions about the exclusivity of the natural world, can tell us nothing about our faith. Therefore, anyone who tries to link an acceptance of evolutionary theory with atheism or agnosticism is promoting a false dichotomy.”

Mark Buchheim, “Letter to the editor: an educated response”, The Collegian Online (University of Tulsa: 2005), http://www.utulsa.edu/collegian/article.asp?article=2569 .