Boycott the NFL

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, you just don’t get it.....

All i can say is, you sound like someone who enjoys their white privilege - everyone who doesnt have it as good as you is just whining....

‘Let them eat cake’
No, what I am saying, is I am no better off than they. And your kind of thinking is no different than their's: you both look at life as it is for all and have to blame someone else instead of wising up and getting along. They yell "Fire!" and you believe them and go trampling others in a panic, instead of calmly moving to an exit only to find out there is no fire, only the smoke of those who have pulled your emotional puppet strings. And now you defend the mob and their emotional reaction and condone their violence, enabling them, rewarding them, because you yourself were fooled also.

But you do not justify, nor do you "get it" because you run with the mob. You may as well be yelling, "Crucify him!" No, there is a name for that...but I will leave you to your emotion to guess at what it is, rather than join you. Too bad you won't even see the truth when the wind changes direction, but will just go wherever it blows. Not that you will understand...but that is rather the definition of the blindness that you accuse me of, and what you do now is called projection.

You have done it to Him.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, what I am saying, is I am no better off than they. And your kind of thinking is no different than their's: you both look at life as it is for all and have to blame someone else instead of wising up and getting along. They yell "Fire!" and you believe them and go trampling others in a panic, instead of calmly moving to an exit only to find out there is no fire, only the smoke of those who have pulled your emotional puppet strings. And now you defend the mob and their emotional reaction and condone their violence, enabling them, rewarding them, because you yourself were fooled also.

But you do not justify, nor do you "get it" because you run with the mob. You may as well be yelling, "Crucify him!" No, there is a name for that...but I will leave you to your emotion to guess at what it is, rather than join you. Too bad you won't even see the truth when the wind changes direction, but will just go wherever it blows. Not that you will understand...but that is rather the definition of the blindness that you accuse me of, and what you do now is called projection.

You have done it to Him.

1. I’ve never condoned violence
2. You are willfilling ignoring inequity, which does not need to exist and when you are forced to consider it you blame the victim.
3. Believing the experience of black people in America is not reacting hysterically or following the mob, it is recognizing inequity and speaking out against it/standing with those who are speaking out against it.
4. Kneeling during the anthem is more respectful than remaining seated and it is a nonviolent way of protest - if you are offended, you might want to look deeper into why it is happening instead of dismissing it.

Reactions: n2thelight

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if you don't know already, DirecTV is offering refunds for nfl ticket if anyone was offended by the nfl's actions. that in itself is encouraging that the country hasn't gone clear bonkers. if you are not familiar DirecTV has a service for sports that a customer can watch all the games could be nfl baseball hockey bla bla bla. thing is the last I checked a few years ago the nfl ticket was around $250 which is significant.

so we're not the only ones that agree that the nfl was way out of order, demanding that if you are a fan then you should agree to their politics. the thing is this country (the US) is a business, an enterprise, and in business money talks and yakity-bla walks.

I didn't know it. Appreciate the update.

I agree.

Stranger

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On unity: we are not called to have unity with world. Are we not called to come out of those things? Why debate what is going on outside the brethern and not focus on, what we are called to do in unity?

1 Corinthians 14:22,24-26 KJV
[22]...but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

[24] But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: [25] And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth. [26] How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Where is this unity that "God is in you of a truth" ?? Why are we focused out there? On worldly arguments?

Yes, I also understand right after these verses scripture says: women should remain silent in the church. Which leads me to wonder if I should speak out on such matters.

What a mess we are in...

Reactions: Pisteuo

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Money is power
You misunderstand

who is going to listen to a football star who refuses to play?
He's no longer a star
People will then no longer care what he has to say

I don't listen to the politics of an NFL player when he plays. What do I care if he doesn't play. The money he makes doesn't matter to me as for as politics. My point was if he, the NFL, player, wants to really show his loyalty to this race cause of disrespect to the country, then he should put his money where his mouth is and boycott by sitting out the season. Ah, but that would cost him. And black people won't let it cost them.

So, no, you misunderstand. Most people believe the NFL players, as well as most sports players, are overpaid. They are popular amongst their fans due to their contribution to the game of football. Not to what they make. Thus to their fans, the money they make is not power. Their status as a great football player is. So now the black players, and that is where this originated, want to use this avenue as a means to further their racist black political cause. Why?, because the vast majority of players in the NFL are black.

It is just as DPMartin said, if you are a fan then they are saying you are going to have to listen to their politics. Because, they are going to throw it in your face as you just want to watch a football game. It is all about media attention for them. The entertainment and media, and sports industry, is doing all it can to come against any conservative right opinion, to label it as racist, to label you a racist if you're a Trump or conservative supporter.

The only role money plays here is in the greed of the NFL players who believe that they can project their racist views on the public, disrespect the flag, because they are too important for anyone to do anything about. For that, I will not watch an NFL game.

Stranger

Last edited:

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On unity: we are not called to have unity with world. Are we not called to come out of those things? Why debate what is going on outside the brethern and not focus on, what we are called to do in unity?

[22]...but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

[24] But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: [25] And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth. [26] How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Where is this unity that "God is in you of a truth" ?? Why are we focused out there? On worldly arguments?

Yes, I also understand right after these verses scripture says: women should remain silent in the church. Which leads me to wonder if I should speak out on such matters.

What a mess we are in...

Silence in the church, not here. Don't keep silent.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all brothers and sisters

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. I’ve never condoned violence
2. You are willfilling ignoring inequity, which does not need to exist and when you are forced to consider it you blame the victim.
3. Believing the experience of black people in America is not reacting hysterically or following the mob, it is recognizing inequity and speaking out against it/standing with those who are speaking out against it.
4. Kneeling during the anthem is more respectful than remaining seated and it is a nonviolent way of protest - if you are offended, you might want to look deeper into why it is happening instead of dismissing it.
  1. You enable violence by defending those who take it up.
  2. No, the world is a level playing field. We all come in as God has created. You kid yourself to think any have advantage. I blame all who take a side.
  3. Yes, and in doing so, you take a side.
  4. To place blame where it does not apply, is to incite violence. If they really were non-violent they would hold their own assemblies and vote.
I know the world is not perfect and that people do not do unto others as they would have done to them. But there is no honor in taking up one form of abuse to protest another form of abuse. And it is your own words and actions that condone that very thing.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  1. You enable violence by defending those who take it up.
  2. No, the world is a level playing field. We all come in as God has created. You kid yourself to think any have advantage. I blame all who take a side.
  3. Yes, and in doing so, you take a side.
  4. To place blame where it does not apply, is to incite violence. If they really were non-violent they would hold their own assemblies and vote.
I know the world is not perfect and that people do not do unto others as they would have done to them. But there is no honor in taking up one form of abuse to protest another form of abuse. And it is your own words and actions that condone that very thing.

1. This is a nonviolent protest by nonviolent people. In fact, they are protesting against violence by police officers, which you are defending.
2. Your choice to be lukewarm on this issue reveal a caulous heart for oppressed people.
3. Jesus also took a side and he tells us to follow him - we are to cloth the naked, forgive, and feed the hungry. Denying oppression is the way of the Pharisee.
4. ‘They’ are Americans and have the same right to protest as we do. Just because you deny police brutality and justify police killings based on your stereotypes of black people as criminals who deserve special treatment, doesnt mean it is right.

Thqnkfully, peaceful protests are not illegal in the USA. We all have the right to speak out against injustice

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. This is a nonviolent protest by nonviolent people. In fact, they are protesting against violence by police officers, which you are defending.
2. Your choice to be lukewarm on this issue reveal a caulous heart for oppressed people.
3. Jesus also took a side and he tells us to follow him - we are to cloth the naked, forgive, and feed the hungry. Denying oppression is the way of the Pharisee.
4. ‘They’ are Americans and have the same right to protest as we do. Just because you deny police brutality and justify police killings based on your stereotypes of black people as criminals who deserve special treatment, doesnt mean it is right.

Thqnkfully, peaceful protests are not illegal in the USA. We all have the right to speak out against injustice
  1. To abuse one thing to protest another, is violence, of the worst kind. I do not defend abuse by either side...I made that clear, but you are not listening.
  2. My yeah is against wrongful treatment of unrelated parties. My nay is to those who do so, as well as to those who support them. Your accusation is most inappropriate.
  3. Jesus did not use abuse to side against abuse. You are wrong.
  4. Peaceful protest does not mean you can abuse others for your own gain. I do not deny police brutality, on the contrary, I detest it. But two wrongs don't make a right. I have no stereotypes, but you accuse me of it because I am being neutral (righteous). You make a greater offence than those who protest while abusing others.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What a mess we are in...

because this subject is really about proper place proper time for all things see:

Ecc 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: (and the following verses)

not all things are in Heaven, are they? and we are placed in the earth dealing with the things in the earth and in the world, and this section of this site is set aside for such, isn't it?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  1. To abuse one thing to protest another, is violence, of the worst kind. I do not defend abuse by either side...I made that clear, but you are not listening.
  2. My yeah is against wrongful treatment of unrelated parties. My nay is to those who do so, as well as to those who support them. Your accusation is most inappropriate.
  3. Jesus did not use abuse to side against abuse. You are wrong.
  4. Peaceful protest does not mean you can abuse others for your own gain. I do not deny police brutality, on the contrary, I detest it. But two wrongs don't make a right. I have no stereotypes, but you accuse me of it because I am being neutral (righteous). You make a greater offence than those who protest while abusing others.

1. Where is the abuse in kneeing rather than saying the national anthem? See, it looks to me like cops are guilty of shooting unarmed black people and getting away with it and on the otherside, black atheletes are making people uncomfortable before a football game.....
2. I have no idea what you are trying to say here
3. The abuse is being protested against. You are inventing abuse where there is none.
4. If you really detested police brutality, you would speak out against it instead of dismissing it and blaming the victim.
5. You are not being righteous at all - Jesus stuck up for the women at the well - the justice for her infidelity was not carried out because it was being met out by corrupt officials

Reactions: n2thelight

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Where is the abuse in kneeing rather than saying the national anthem? See, it looks to me like cops are guilty of shooting unarmed black people and getting away with it and on the otherside, black atheletes are making people uncomfortable before a football game.....
2. I have no idea what you are trying to say here
3. The abuse is being protested against. You are inventing abuse where there is none.
4. If you really detested police brutality, you would speak out against it instead of dismissing it and blaming the victim.
5. You are not being righteous at all - Jesus stuck up for the women at the well - the justice for her infidelity was not carried out because it was being met out by corrupt officials
  1. The abuse is in dis'ing the flag and what it stands for, when the two are far from related.
  2. This is from Jesus, who said not to be lukewarm (which you accused me of), but let your yeah be yeah, and your nay be nay. This I did, showing you that you were wrong about me.
  3. The abuse is to involve someone or something in your protest that is not otherwise involved. Name one thing that you are not involved in that you would be okay with being blamed for and not call it abuse.
  4. I do not dismiss police brutality. Nor do I blame the victim. I blame those who abuse their position to protest without regard for those who are otherwise not involved.
  5. I am sticking up for the victim of the protesters - in this setting they are not the victims. In a different setting, I would stick up for them. I would also stick up for victims of police brutality, but not against the wrong parties. But your answer is telling...you mixed up two different women who were otherwise unrelated, which you now do also, mixing police brutality with football and flags.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  1. The abuse is in dis'ing the flag and what it stands for, when the two are far from related.
  2. This is from Jesus, who said not to be lukewarm (which you accused me of), but let your yeah be yeah, and your nay be nay. This I did, showing you that you were wrong about me.
  3. The abuse is to involve someone or something in your protest that is not otherwise involved. Name one thing that you are not involved in that you would be okay with being blamed for and not call it abuse.
  4. I do not dismiss police brutality. Nor do I blame the victim. I blame those who abuse their position to protest without regard for those who are otherwise not involved.
  5. I am sticking up for the victim of the protesters - in this setting they are not the victims. In a different setting, I would stick up for them. I would also stick up for victims of police brutality, but not against the wrong parties. But your answer is telling...you mixed up two different women who were otherwise unrelated, which you now do also, mixing police brutality with football and flags.

How do you abuse a flag?

You are more concerned about hurting egos and people feeling uncomfortable than black people being targeted, harrassed, and sometimes killed, without consequences? Shame on you.

Who ever said this protest agianst police brutality is about you? Are you an officer of the law?

Sorry Scott, the point of protesting is to make people uncomfortable. Without doing so, we would continue to ignore the problem.

Pressuring the police to stop targeting by race is the point. The purpose of government is to protect its citizens - in the case of people of color and the police, this appears to be not happening like it should be happening - a natural response is to appeal to the people and place the American flag on trial.

Yes, i called the women caught in adultry, the women at the well. It takes nothing away from the point i made, which you ignored.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you abuse a flag?

You are more concerned about hurting egos and people feeling uncomfortable than black people being targeted, harrassed, and sometimes killed, without consequences? Shame on you.

Who ever said this protest agianst police brutality is about you? Are you an officer of the law?

Sorry Scott, the point of protesting is to make people uncomfortable. Without doing so, we would continue to ignore the problem.

Pressuring the police to stop targeting by race is the point. The purpose of government is to protect its citizens - in the case of people of color and the police, this appears to be not happening like it should be happening - a natural response is to appeal to the people and place the American flag on trial.

Yes, i called the women caught in adultry, the women at the well. It takes nothing away from the point i made, which you ignored.
I think we have said enough.

You make an issue of race and other differences among people with those who do the same.

And I am not going to participate in such.

A tree is known by its fruit.

Reactions: Helen

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
In early 2016, I began paying attention to reports about the incredible number of unarmed black people being killed by the police. The posts on social media deeply disturbed me, but one in particular brought me to tears: the killing of Alton Sterling in my hometown Baton Rouge, La. This could have happened to any of my family members who still live in the area. I felt furious, hurt and hopeless. I wanted to do something, but didn’t know what or how to do it. All I knew for sure is that I wanted it to be as respectful as possible.

A few weeks later, during preseason, my teammate Colin Kaepernick chose to sit on the bench during the national anthem to protest police brutality. To be honest, I didn’t notice at the time, and neither did the news media. It wasn’t until after our third preseason game on Aug. 26, 2016, that his protest gained national attention, and the backlash against him began.

That’s when my faith moved me to take action. I looked to James 2:17, which states, “Faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” I knew I needed to stand up for what is right.

I approached Colin the Saturday before our next game to discuss how I could get involved with the cause but also how we could make a more powerful and positive impact on the social justice movement. We spoke at length about many of the issues that face our community, including systemic oppression against people of color, police brutality and the criminal justice system. We also discussed how we could use our platform, provided to us by being professional athletes in the N.F.L., to speak for those who are voiceless.

After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former N.F.L. player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest.

It should go without saying that I love my country and I’m proud to be an American. But, to quote James Baldwin, “exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”

I can’t find words that appropriately express how heartbroken I am to see the constant smears against Colin, a person who helped start the movement with only the very best of intentions. We are talking about a man who helped to orchestrate a commercial planeful of food and supplies for famine-stricken Somalia. A man who has invested his time and money into needy communities here at home. A man I am proud to call my brother, who should be celebrated for his courage to seek change on important issues. Instead, to this day, he is unemployed and portrayed as a radical un-American who wants to divide our country.

Anybody who has a basic knowledge of football knows that his unemployment has nothing to do with his performance on the field. It’s a shame that the league has turned its back on a man who has done only good. I am aware that my involvement in this movement means that my career may face the same outcome as Colin’s. But to quote the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., “A time comes when silence is betrayal.” And I choose not to betray those who are being oppressed.

I have too often seen our efforts belittled with statements like “He should have listened to the officer,” after watching an unarmed black person get shot, or “There is no such thing as white privilege” and “Racism ended years ago.” We know that racism and white privilege are both very much alive today.

And it’s disheartening and infuriating that President Trump has referred to us with slurs but the neo-Nazis in Charlottesville, Va., as “very fine people.” His remarks are a clear attempt to deepen the rift that we’ve tried so hard to mend.

I am nevertheless encouraged to see my colleagues and other public figures respond to the president’s remarks with solidarity with us. It is paramount that we take control of the story behind our movement, which is that we seek equality for all Americans, no matter their race or gender.

What we need now is numbers. Some people acknowledge the issues we face yet remain silent bystanders. Not only do we need more of our fellow black and brown Americans to stand with us, but also people of other races.

I refuse to be one of those people who watches injustices yet does nothing. I want to be a man my children and children’s children can be proud of, someone who faced adversity and tried to make a positive impact on the world, a person who, 50 years from now, is remembered for standing for what was right, even though it was not the popular or easy choice.

Eric Reed

Reactions: Butterfly and aspen