Boys and your naked daughters...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's funny how we can look back and see God's hand in some things, isn't it? I would have said that I was the LEAST likely person to homeschool. And yet, it has just worked for us! My son just flourishes in a non-traditional classroom and my daughter is ready now to launch into after-school studies next year, with only a touch of anxiety. I fully expect if she had remained in school she would have been in full time therapy by now!
Yes, God is very good!
Haha! Nah, you'll just need part-time therapy. :D

My daughters have had time to do all kinds of interesting things because of home schooling. My oldest is a yarn dyer. She has her own line of wool yarn that she sells to yarn shops and online. She also took piano and violin. My middle daughter is a master knitter. She can knit any pattern out there, which is kind of funny because I don't knit a lick! She also sews and is a seamstress for a woman who started her own clothing line. She also took piano and taught herself to play the mandolin. My youngest can do a pencil drawing of a person and makes it look like a photo, and she taught herself to use PhotoShop. She got the art talent from her dad, not me. All three of my girls are incredible writers. They saw me writing books while they were growing up and decided that they wanted to do the same. If they had been in a traditional school, I don't think they would have had the time to develop these talents.

Last edited:

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
My husband subscribes to the 'enough rope' idea. He thinks the whole thing will implode under the weight of its own irrationality very soon. I hope he's right. And I do wonder if change will come to the school system as well. Here is Australia Homeschooling has made a huge leap in numbers in the last couple of years. There are just too many kids who cannot handle 'traditional' school. It's too inflexible for them. And, like you say, parent are sick to death of kids coming home and parroting why we HAVE to have paper straws, but not knowing how to read.

A friend of mine related a story about her friend's daughter who was an honor student at a good high school. She was selected to spend a week in Washington DC. She sat in and watched congress in session, and toured a number of prestigious universities where she sat in on a number of classes.

When she came back a week later, she was beaming with enthusiasm for how wonderful euthanasia will be in the future when people will be allowed to simply check themselves into a clinic and be put to sleep. She was completely brainwashed within just a few short days. This is our best and brightest folks.

B

brakelite

A friend of mine related a story about her friend's daughter who was an honor student at a good high school. She was selected to spend a week in Washington DC. She sat in and watched congress in session, and toured a number of prestigious universities where she sat in on a number of classes.

When she came back a week later, she was beaming with enthusiasm for how wonderful euthanasia will be in the future when people will be allowed to simply check themselves into a clinic and be put to sleep. She was completely brainwashed within just a few short days. This is our best and brightest folks.
Precisely what we were discussing km the thread "I wonder where this will lead...,"

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I came back to this thread to specifically mention this and you beat me to it. Satan constantly tempted Christ to react to the abuse and persecution by using power. But God is a God of love, and His power is never used to coerce, force, control, or avenge wrong, except in judgement. Which is why I am so averse to Christians desiring to use politics...power...to establish moral principle. When we begin to fully recognise the greater power of love, as opposed to the love of power, then all things are possible. Of course there is a risk in love...and Jesus experienced the repercussions of that in all its force. But like you say, that is not how we roll. Jesus was the second Adam, born in the image of God that the first Adam lost...we are to be re- conformed to that same image...and God is love.

The breath-taking thing is, that we often look at Christ on the cross as the outcome of his 'love actions'. But we know that his death was not the last word, and in point of fact, the great cosmic battle of good and evil was won because of his death. Also, John points out in Revelation that as Christians we actually triumph over our enemies when we sacrifice our very lives as a testimony of love; His love and our love.
So...love is not a weakness, but, one could argue, the strongest force in the universe. Fascinating to ponder on!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Haha! Nah, you'll just need part-time therapy. :D

My daughters have had time to do all kinds of interesting things because of home schooling. My oldest is a yarn dyer. She has her own line of wool yarn that she sells to yarn shops and online. She also took piano and violin. My middle daughter is a master knitter. She can knit any pattern out there, which is kind of funny because I don't knit a lick! She also sews and is a seamstress for a woman who started her own clothing line. She also took piano and taught herself to play the mandolin. My youngest can do a pencil drawing of a person and makes it look like a photo, and she taught herself to use PhotoShop. She got the art talent from her dad, not me. All three of my girls are incredible writers. They saw me writing books while they were growing up and decided that they wanted to do the same. If they had been in a traditional school, I don't think they would have had the time to develop these talents.
I think one of the benefits of homeschooling is that we can allow our kids to pursue these interests. In tradition school a fairly strict schedule is kept to meet certain learning outcomes, regardless of what child shows particular interest or skill in whatever subject they may be briefly touching upon. At home, if a kid really fires up over something, we can drill down on it and just...let them loose!

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

And this is why I think one of the most precious and important gifts we can give to our kids is to teach them how to think critically for themselves. Everyone will have an agenda for them, regardless if it's a liberal or even a conservative. And if they cannot think through an idea they will hop from one scheme to the other based on who they like best at the time or which friend click they are attached to. The need to be able to reason any and all thoughts and arguments out or down to the nuts and bolts and discern what's really going on. It's not easy to do in today's world, but necessary, I think.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think one of the benefits of homeschooling is that we can allow our kids to pursue these interests. In tradition school a fairly strict schedule is kept to meet certain learning outcomes, regardless of what child shows particular interest or skill in whatever subject they may be briefly touching upon. At home, if a kid really fires up over something, we can drill down on it and just...let them loose!
In a traditional school, so much time is wasted in each school day. At home, there's no changing classes, and they can school in their pajamas if they want to.

What curricula do you use?

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In a traditional school, so much time is wasted in each school day. At home, there's no changing classes, and they can school in their pajamas if they want to.

What curricula do you use?
Can....and do...stay in their PJs! Well....my son, anyway!
No particular curricula. Both my kids are ASD, my son PDA as well. Pretty much nothing I attempt to engage him with is successful, as he unconsciously perceives it as a demand...so that makes it a little tricky. The good thing is that he self learns like a dream. He's 12 and last term he decided to watch the War of the World movie...the one with Tom Cruise. He loved it! So...he wanted to know everything about it. He listened to the original H.G. Wells book. He found online dialogues discussing the book and various themes in it. He created his own comic book series around the idea of tripods from Mars. He researched the event where the broadcasters in England announced it over the radio and set off a nationwide panic that they really were under invasion from Mars. And he even wrote some stories of his own based on the genre. Basically, he covered everything...on his own, just cause he wanted to. I didn't have to do a thing. So...yes, he can't be incredible difficult in some areas, but in others, so easy!!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can....and do...stay in their PJs! Well....my son, anyway!
No particular curricula. Both my kids are ASD, my son PDA as well. Pretty much nothing I attempt to engage him with is successful, as he unconsciously perceives it as a demand...so that makes it a little tricky. The good thing is that he self learns like a dream. He's 12 and last term he decided to watch the War of the World movie...the one with Tom Cruise. He loved it! So...he wanted to know everything about it. He listened to the original H.G. Wells book. He found online dialogues discussing the book and various themes in it. He created his own comic book series around the idea of tripods from Mars. He researched the event where the broadcasters in England announced it over the radio and set off a nationwide panic that they really were under invasion from Mars. And he even wrote some stories of his own based on the genre. Basically, he covered everything...on his own, just cause he wanted to. I didn't have to do a thing. So...yes, he can't be incredible difficult in some areas, but in others, so easy!!

Sounds very interesting! More interesting than the traditional curricula I used--mostly A Beka and Bob Jones.

My daughter read a series of Christian youth novels about Mars called Mars Diaries (renamed Robot Wars). She loved them. They may be good reading for your son. The main character is a boy who grows up on Mars.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sounds very interesting! More interesting than the traditional curricula I used--mostly A Beka and Bob Jones.

My daughter read a series of Christian youth novels about Mars called Mars Diaries (renamed Robot Wars). She loved them. They may be good reading for your son. The main character is a boy who grows up on Mars.
I'll have a look at them, thanks!

Reactions: Prayer Warrior
B

brakelite

The breath-taking thing is, that we often look at Christ on the cross as the outcome of his 'love actions'. But we know that his death was not the last word, and in point of fact, the great cosmic battle of good and evil was won because of his death. Also, John points out in Revelation that as Christians we actually triumph over our enemies when we sacrifice our very lives as a testimony of love; His love and our love.
So...love is not a weakness, but, one could argue, the strongest force in the universe. Fascinating to ponder on!
Agree. Agnes what is more interesting is that every myth, fable, play, movie, ( think Marvel and D.C.) and book written by man has the hero winning because he could hit harder, shout straighter, drop more bombs than the bad guys. All of them. Without exception. Jesus is the ultimate anti hero, and why Christianity is so utterly unique.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Agree. Agnes what is more interesting is that every myth, fable, play, movie, ( think Marvel and D.C.) and book written by man has the hero winning because he could hit harder, shout straighter, drop more bombs than the bad guys. All of them. Without exception. Jesus is the ultimate anti hero, and why Christianity is so utterly unique.
Well. there are, I suppose, the notable exceptions like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, or The Lord of the Rings...but since their authors were Christians and threaded heavy Christian themes throughout their work, that's not a great surprise.
The thing that DOES surprise me, that all those movies, hero movies...sure, it might involve weapons and fighting etc, but they still focus in on nobility and justice and all sorts of truths that we just don't see coming out of Hollywood itself these days. They are the biggest hypocrites out there, really.

B

brakelite

Well. there are, I suppose, the notable exceptions like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, or The Lord of the Rings...but since their authors were Christians and threaded heavy Christian themes throughout their work, that's not a great surprise.
The thing that DOES surprise me, that all those movies, hero movies...sure, it might involve weapons and fighting etc, but they still focus in on nobility and justice and all sorts of truths that we just don't see coming out of Hollywood itself these days. They are the biggest hypocrites out there, really.
According to many atheists morality is merely a social or cultural construct anyway...so the lack thereof in much of what passes for entertainment these days is for them, quite legitimate. There is some nobility and honour though to be found in some movies, even in the Avenger series...if you haven't seen Black Panther, I recommend it. Lol.

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh boy, yes! It's...well, I'm not sure what word to use...but...we KNOW that our God is stronger than those other powers. That he has the power to defeat Satan and his minions in these things. But...the question I most often stumble over is...will he? If our bible suggests that as time draws to a close (whenever it is, I'm not trying to pin the tail on the Rapture or any such nonsense), that things will get progressively worse for Christians, then effectively, it's God's plan to allow Satan and his workers to continue doing such thing.
I don't know...I suppose really, when it comes down to it, we trust in God, and stand up for what's right. And everything will go exactly as it needs to.

Agreed Naomi, I do believe many will pass (or have) the point of no return and God WILL use them to His purposes yet, on the other hand, I see many of them being saved through our prayers! :)

Reactions: Naomi25

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Shows the need for vigilence and for united action by All Christians, not just concerned parents.
shows the need to gya out of the world imo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Which sounds better—and by “better” I mean less likely to arouse suspicion: “Approved by Trans United Fund Illinois” or “Approved by Parents and Neighbors for Quality Education”?
narf
whenever you see some nancy-pants title like that be advised imo

Reactions: brakelite

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Well. there are, I suppose, the notable exceptions like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, or The Lord of the Rings...but since their authors were Christians (burp) and threaded heavy Christian themes throughout their work
serious damage is done by them and their warped perspectives of Christianity imo. Chuckie Norris too, what a putz
ty
might surprise you to learn that it is Hollywood producing those movies, and appropriating the definitions for your Nobility and Justice, Naomi

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

:(
And these are also the next leaders of this world!!

hmm[1].gif

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I readily confess I teach my children liberal ideas are wicked. However, I do my best to teach them that liberal people are still 'people'. Mob mentality is terrible, and together they can and do some terrible things. But pull them apart and sit one across from you with a cup of coffee...they're probably just a lonely person who wants to be heard. It's not hard for us to give them that...as long as their not screaming at us!!
If you really teach them about God as God and you are also living a 'good' example before them, what else can you do? I would guess praying for them every day would be the other thing as well as teaching them what prayer is and why they should also put some of that in their lives each day.

As for the liberals, I guess when I was quite young, some would have called me a liberal so then I had coffee with them. I'm no longer called liberal but at times I have coffee with some who probably are. God has a message for them too, and sometimes the message is us. Give God the glory!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
According to many atheists morality is merely a social or cultural construct anyway...so the lack thereof in much of what passes for entertainment these days is for them, quite legitimate. There is some nobility and honour though to be found in some movies, even in the Avenger series...if you haven't seen Black Panther, I recommend it. Lol.
It's funny that atheists 'claim' that morality is just a social construct, but they live by it nonetheless. I was reading an excellent book on this topic and the example they gave is this: if, during a conversation about this, I asked the atheist to give me 20 bucks to help illustrate a point...and then tucked their money into my own pocket...they would rightly be offended. But, if morality...the notion of right and wrong, is only a social construct, then why shouldn't I keep the money they just handed to me? So...they object on a philosophical level, but adhere to it on a day by day level, as do most people. Thus the irrationality of the 'modern' movement! :rolleyes:

Reactions: brakelite

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
serious damage is done by them and their warped perspectives of Christianity imo. Chuckie Norris too, what a putz

Chuck Norris is really before my time, sorry. All I really know of him is the Chuck Norris memes. :D
I simply cannot imagine what you mean by 'serious damage' done to Christianity by those two movies I listed. I suppose if you tried to hold up serious doctrine by them you couldn't, but I don't imagine you were ever meant to. I think the big ideas were things like brotherhood, sacrifice in the face of certain death...and I could go on...but I hope you get my point. They were never truly supposed to line up, character by character, plot point to doctrine.

might surprise you to learn that it is Hollywood producing those movies, and appropriating the definitions for your Nobility and Justice, Naomi
My point is this: Hollywood squeals about gun control and about how owning and using guns is EVIL! And yet, they employ armed people to protect them and they put out movie after movie packed with violence.
They squeal about the environment, but fly all over the globe in private jets.
Basically, they are the kings and queens of 'do what I say, not as I do'. They believe their status and wealth allows them to do and say whatever they like and people ought to take note and follow along like good little sheeple. Now...I like a good movie as much as the next gal...but I have problems with people who like flapping their gums at what they think others should do for the 'best of the planet and all the people of the world' without a hint of any intention of doing so themselves.