Brand New Music Album Project just finished

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thought I'd share this project of mine with ya'll! :) It does say to sing to one another in spiritual songs. ;) Have a listen or two.

If you click on the Youtube logo you can go to "show more" and get the time links to the tunes.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thought I'd share this project of mine with ya'll! :) It does say to sing to one another in spiritual songs. ;) Have a listen or two.

If you click on the Youtube logo you can go to "show more" and get the time links to the tunes.

Soothing.

Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Appreciate any comments, likes and/or subscriptions to the Youtube channel.

Videos to follow! :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Wow! Good bass work, Episkopos!

I could ask you about 20 questions, but let me start with:
- What's your background? Played in the world before coming to Christ?
- What do you write from, bass, guitar, keyboard or all three?
- How long did this project take?
- Who were your inspirations (musically as well as bass players)?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
- What's your background? Played in the world before coming to Christ?

First...thank you for your kind comments and interest.

Yes I did....Even though I came to the Lord at age 21 I was "on the road" in a band for a few years before that. Back then we used to play clubs and bars...6 nights a week. And on Sunday we traveled to the next gig.

All this before my conversion.

Afterwards I prayed before accepting any work so I began to play less and less...getting into jazz since there were no words to offend...since I didn't want anyone I was being a witness to to see me playing in the bars.

I ended up getting 'blacklisted" as a "Jesus freak" as I was always telling people about Jesus and His spiritual realm. :) I did get the message across and led people to Christ...both musical and non-musical.

So I got out of playing for a living as I got married and didn't want that lifestyle anymore...and I felt that God wanted me to give it up for Him.

I took a stand many years ago that I would only play for the Lord. And He has restored playing back to me since a number of years now.
- What do you write from, bass, guitar, keyboard or all three?

Usually the bass. I build up a song from a bass groove. Usually. Sometimes it starts with just a melody line. About half the tunes I write are in the jazz style....but the album I posted here is a singing album...of course. The next one will be jazz...world beat style...Lord willing. :) That's where my playing gets personal!

- How long did this project take?

It took years (2 to 3). I only record once a week at the most....sometimes we go a few months at a time without studio visits. I record at a Christian brother's house and help out with bass lines for other Christian singers from time to time.

But I work on more than one project at a time. And I've learned to work FAST! The fastest recording was the 3rd track...as well as the last one I recorded...Afterglow. That song took only one and a half sessions....for everything. On that track I "stole" some feedback guitar sounds from another track that a guitarist played on. Otherwise I played everything on there.

- Who were your inspirations (musically as well as bass players)?

I bought this album...Weather Report "Mysterious traveller" when I was 16...in '74...because I liked the album cover. I didn't even know it was a jazz record (let alone world beat). So then that music got a hold of me...I "got it."

But I went through the usual list of bass influences...

Geezer Butler, Chris Squire....anything by Zappa, and eventually Pastorius, Marcus Miller.

The artists I like now are guys like Thundercat and Linley Marthe (with the late Zawinul).

But I try to not listen TOO closely. It's more of a comparison exercise. I feel like I have my own things to say! But they say if you copy one person it's called plagiarism....but if you steal from many sources it's called creativity! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I did....Even though I came to the Lord at age 21 I was "on the road" in a band for a few years before that.

We have a similar testimony. I got saved when I was 21, after quitting the last band I was in. We weren't playing six nights a week, but we were starting to travel the South more.
I ended up getting 'blacklisted" as a "Jesus freak" as I was always telling people about Jesus

LoL.
So I got out of playing for a living as I got married and didn't want that lifestyle anymore...and I felt that God wanted me to give it up for Him.

I got out of it as well. Several years later I became friends with a really good guitar player and his brother who was a good drummer and thought about putting together a Christian progressive band, but it wasn't to be. The guitar player was too tied down. He was good, though. Tried out for Pantera when they lost a guitar player.

So I never really went back. Bass playing was always a bit of a source of pride for me, and would likely have led me back into sin. Not that I was all that great anyway, LoL. Not as good as you are, especially at slap techniques. But I was fast in scales. I think to get back into serious bass playing at this age would involve too much work, but it's nice to hear someone with a Christian background who has : )
It took years (2 to 3).

That's what it sounds like. Lot of detail.
I record at a Christian brother's house and help out with bass lines for other Christian singers from time to time.

But I work on more than one project at a time. And I've learned to work FAST! The fastest recording was the 3rd track...as well as the last one I recorded...Afterglow. That song took only one and a half sessions....for everything. On that track I "stole" some feedback guitar sounds from another track that a guitarist played on. Otherwise I played everything on there.

That sounds great. I was wondering where you managed to find other Christian musician friends who were that capable. I guess owning a studio has a way of drawing people maybe.
I bought this album...Weather Report "Mysterious traveller" when I was 16...in '74

I remember Weather Report, LoL.
Geezer Butler, Chris Squire....anything by Zappa, and eventually Pastorius, Marcus Miller.

I was a Yes fan for years. Zappa was way too weird for me, LoL.
Geezer? You don't seem like a Geezer kind of guy... (just kidding, LoL).
I was guessing you may have been into old Genesis and Steely Dan and stuff by the sound of it, but that's not really bass-oriented stuff.
But I try to not listen TOO closely. It's more of a comparison exercise. I feel like I have my own things to say! But they say if you copy one person it's called plagiarism....but if you steal from many sources it's called creativity! :)

I suppose the middle ground would be called "plager-tivity." :D
The artists I like now are guys like Thundercat and Linley Marthe (with the late Zawinul).

Never heard of them, which shows how much I know.

Btw, what worship music to get into? Anything you enjoy that I might not know about?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Wow! As a fellow musician and vocalist, I am impressed! I pray that God will bless this project as it brings honor to Him!

So, did you play all of the instruments? I love the sax!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Wow! As a fellow musician and vocalist, I am impressed! I pray that God will bless this project as it brings honor to Him!

So, did you play all of the instruments? I love the sax!

Thank you! Actually the sax player is the only unbeliever I worked with....I met him on a big band gig. I can't play the saxophone....or any other wind instrument. I play guitar as well as bass...but I don't use effects so I needed a guy who was good with the whole sound thing. So if there is flashy guitar required....I call Jimmy...the go to guy for Christian music here in Montreal. The keyboards I play are very basic. If things get too complicated I get a keyboardist! If the song can handle drum programming, I do that myself too. Otherwise I get a good drummer.
The singing I came at slowly...mainly because I couldn't find a vocalist.

If you click on...show more...(or the arrow down) on the You tube page you will see the list of the credits as well as time markers to the songs.

So you play and sing? Do you have anything you want to share with us?

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We have a similar testimony. I got saved when I was 21, after quitting the last band I was in. We weren't playing six nights a week, but we were starting to travel the South more.

LoL.

I got out of it as well. Several years later I became friends with a really good guitar player and his brother who was a good drummer and thought about putting together a Christian progressive band, but it wasn't to be. The guitar player was too tied down. He was good, though. Tried out for Pantera when they lost a guitar player.

So I never really went back. Bass playing was always a bit of a source of pride for me, and would likely have led me back into sin. Not that I was all that great anyway, LoL. Not as good as you are, especially at slap techniques. But I was fast in scales. I think to get back into serious bass playing at this age would involve too much work, but it's nice to hear someone with a Christian background who has : )

That's what it sounds like. Lot of detail.

That sounds great. I was wondering where you managed to find other Christian musician friends who were that capable. I guess owning a studio has a way of drawing people maybe.

I remember Weather Report, LoL.

I was a Yes fan for years. Zappa was way too weird for me, LoL.
Geezer? You don't seem like a Geezer kind of guy... (just kidding, LoL).
I was guessing you may have been into old Genesis and Steely Dan and stuff by the sound of it, but that's not really bass-oriented stuff.

I suppose the middle ground would be called "plager-tivity." :D

Never heard of them, which shows how much I know.

Btw, what worship music to get into? Anything you enjoy that I might not know about?

I was going to ask you if you were a player or had a musical background. Enjoyed your comments. Props to my fellow bassist as well as my brother! :)

Do you have anything you are playing on as a recording?

What were your influences?

Do you still own a bass....or basses...??? ;)

I'm not really a fan of canned worship music...as I find it too predictable. But I enjoy the praise times in our house fellowship. The simpler the better for praising in the moment. (The opposite of what I go after in composition) And that's why I hate a stage for church meetings. It is too much like a performance or show for me. Also the microphone.

I tend to go the opposite way in regards to meeting around the Lord. I stay away from the sound equipment and keep it real simple.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you! Actually the sax player is the only unbeliever I worked with....I met him on a big band gig. I can't play the saxophone....or any other wind instrument. I play guitar as well as bass...but I don't use effects so I needed a guy who was good with the whole sound thing. So if there is flashy guitar required....I call Jimmy...the go to guy for Christian music here in Montreal. The keyboards I play are very basic. If things get too complicated and get a keyboardist!
The singing I came at slowly...mainly because I couldn't find a vocalist.

So you play and sing? Do you have anything you want to share with us?

Ah, sounds like you have some good go-to people to help you out.

I played Bb clarinet seriously in high school and college. Considered majoring in music, but didn’t. Also started playing acoustic guitar in high school so that I could play John Denver songs, lol.

After college, I got more into vocal. I sang Messiah in a couple of civic choruses. We also did a Verdi opera. Fun! I sang solos in church when that was the thing.

I’ve also written some songs. Just finished a praise song last spring that I would like to record. It’s based on Joel 2. I got the chorus to the song back in 2007 when I was deathly ill and wrote the rest last spring. Only 12 years! Hopefully, your songs don’t take that long, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Was looking for this thread, glad I have found it.

Saved to watch later, noticed you have 555 views, but good on ya. :D

Do you got proper recording studio set up? And what DAW program is your favorite to use? If you do that stuff also or get someone else to do it? Hehehehe

I only have a focusrite interface, got the basic Protools First but very laggy on my laptop, Ableton live is also very laggy, but Audacity is a lot faster though.

Haven't used my focusrite all that much though, only just for fun tho, I'm only an amateur here. :D

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
. I think to get back into serious bass playing at this age would involve too much work, but it's nice to hear someone with a Christian background who has : )

@Hidden In Him

I think the best years to get good at musical instruments is when you are kid, once you become even just a young adult, it gets a lot harder to progress and get better at a musical instrument, also harder to find the motivation.

Lol when I was a bit younger, maybe 6-8 years ago my goal was I wanted to play at the Grand Ole Opry, but now I couldn't care much anymore. Hahaha.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Was looking for this thread, glad I have found it.

Saved to watch later, noticed you have 555 views, but good on ya. :D

Do you got proper recording studio set up? And what DAW program is your favorite to use? If you do that stuff also or get someone else to do it? Hehehehe

I only have a focusrite interface, got the basic Protools First but very laggy on my laptop, Ableton live is also very laggy, but Audacity is a lot faster though.

Haven't used my focusrite all that much though, only just for fun tho, I'm only an amateur here. :D

Hey! Thanks for the interest. I record at 2 studios really. Both are home studios. The one where I do most of the recording uses Cubase and I record drums where he uses Protools.

I'm really not that technical myself...but I think over the years I've come to think that protools is a little "warmer"...I don't know...just my ears telling me this. Very subtle.

Do you have any recordings made?

Do you like the project?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Hidden In Him

I think the best years to get good at musical instruments is when you are kid, once you become even just a young adult, it gets a lot harder to progress and get better at a musical instrument, also harder to find the motivation.

Lol when I was a bit younger, maybe 6-8 years ago my goal was I wanted to play at the Grand Ole Opry, but now I couldn't care much anymore. Hahaha.

Very true. They say it takes 10 years to master an instrument....but that means really trying in those 10 years. :) And who has that kind of time later on? Better to start when the mind is still flexible.

Reactions: Josho

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him

You could be right about the age thing : ) I was training the twins of a pastor and his wife once a week how to play keyboard recently, and they were moving along very quickly. But then she called to say school was too demanding on them, so she needed to cut the classes back to once a month. Even my wife knew that wasn't gonna work. But out of respect to them I allowed it. Then she cancelled last month (something came up), but she wanted to set a reset date. She just texted a few days ago and said she forgot that the day she reset to is their birthday! LoL.

At this rate, they'll be playing simple worship music by the time their in their mid-twenties, glory to God! (their age 12 at present). :rolleyes:

Reactions: Josho