1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism is a Cult

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics Forum' started by CoreIssue, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I would agree that complete refusal to discuss things is a cultic trait. But I have met some Calvinists (even on this site) who are completely ok with discussing things. We have opposite viewpoints, but they are willing to talk and a civil conversations.

I would not say having the same old tired arguments is a cultic trait. An argument being old just means it's old, doesn't imply anything about being good or bad or how people act.

2. CoreIssue

CoreIssue Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Of course considering you belong to a cult.

3. justbyfaith

justbyfaith Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The only thing that I have contended for in the past that is Calvinistic has been the doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints.

Even in that argument, it becomes clear that OSAS is a falsehood, but that POTS is indeed feasible within the realm of scriptural truth.

My key verses on the subject are 1 John 3:6 and 1 John 2:17, with the concept that abiding is salvation. It does indeed provide for eternal security / absolute assurance of salvation; as long as you are living a holy life.

Anthony D'Arienzo likes this.
  4. Anthony D'Arienzo

Anthony D'Arienzo Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    what I find cultic is an aversion to scripture...have you posted any scripture recently?

Preacher4Truth and Mjh29 like this.
  5. Anthony D'Arienzo

Anthony D'Arienzo Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

SovereignGrace and Mjh29 like this.
  6. Mjh29

Mjh29 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

7. Enoch111

Enoch111 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    If God meant "all the believing" He would have said so plainly.

The fact that absolutely no Bible version -- including the Calvinistic Geneva Bible (in spite of its footnotes) -- has this translation, and that speaks for itself. They dared not change the Word of God, but they tried to reinterpret it.

GENEVA BIBLE
    16 For God so loved the world, that he hath given his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world, that he should condemn the world, but that the world through him might be saved.

But yours is an attempt to wrest the Scriptures -- TWIST THEIR MEANING. And as Peter says, the scoffers wrest the Scriptures to their own destruction. Those who promote false doctrines -- of whatever stripe -- will give account for perverting the Gospel.

8. Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The conversation between you and I was me ask you to explain your beliefs. Hence my being relatively quiet, listening to when you explain your perspective, and not quoting much of anything.

Conversations focused on comfort or celebration or just open Gospel discussion are where I readily quote scripture.

9. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Why aren't all saved if all have free will?

10. Mjh29

Mjh29 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    1.) I can think of a translation off the top of my head; the Greek Interlinear
    2.) MY Geneva Bible does have something more close to the greek.The online version is a bit different

3.) What I do is I STUDY Scripture, not read into it. Allow my to elaborate. I'm sure that most people would be satisfied with your answer, but it isnt enough for me. When I see a verse like John 3:16, the very first thing that comes ti my head it to check the original Greek or Hebrew. That is not reading into a verse, which means trying to make it say something it doesn't. That is trying to get a good understanding of if the original really meant to convey that message. I come to find out that inf fact it meant all the believing in the Greek. As if to confirm this, not 5 verses down, we are given John 3:19

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

No man would go to the light of his own accord. None. They were evil, and every deedmof theirs was evil. Now, you will either accept what scripture teaches or (highly more likely) attempt to explain to me what this means by casting your views upon Scripture, which is called TWISTING of Scriptures.

So please do explain; How could WHOSOEVER come to Christ when ALL MEN hate the light and love the dark?

SovereignGrace likes this.
  11. justbyfaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The heavenly Father draws them to Christ.

He goes one step short of regenerating them (since we have access by faith into this (regenerating) grace wherein we stand) and enables them to make an unhindered choice to either receive or reject Christ.

He know who will do this and who will not; and chooses accordingly from before the foundation of the world.

12. Mjh29

Mjh29 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    So they are doubly saved by works righteousness; God chose them because of their works and they are ultimately saved because of their works?!

SovereignGrace likes this.
  13. amadeus

amadeus Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Actually some will begin to, or continue to, disagree after they have studied the scripture. Study alone is NOT the road to truth:

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

Jane_Doe22 likes this.
  14. amadeus

amadeus Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

Jane_Doe22 likes this.
  15. justbyfaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The only thing I can do for you is to pray that the Lord will open your eyes...

16. Mjh29

Mjh29 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    What good would that do? I still have to make the final choice anyways!

.... but the prayers are much appreciated.

17. CoreIssue

CoreIssue Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The same reason Satan rebelled.

18. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    2 The LORD has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men To see if there are any who understand, Who seek after God. 3 They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt; There is no one who does good, not even one.[Psalm 14]

God sees that there are none who seek Him, neither do they understand. The reason why He knows who will be saved is because He chose them from before the creation of the world.[Ephesians 1:4]

19. justbyfaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    A person cannot come to Christ (or otherwise receive a change of opinion towards truth) unless the Holy Spirit convicts and/or draws them.

20. justbyfaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    That implies that He chose others to damnation.