Calvinists who believe in free will?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was last on the forum every Calvinists denied free will. Now they are suddenly trying to incorporate free will choice into their concept of predestination?

I had read Calvinism was quickly losing followers. It must be true.

Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was last on the forum every Calvinists denied free will. Now they are suddenly trying to incorporate free will choice into their concept of predestination?

I had read Calvinism was quickly losing followers. It must be true.

Most Calvinists I have talked to tend to depreciate the value of free will with respect to the ability to approach God for Salvation. I'm a little different, perhaps, among the majority of Calvinists, and I do emphasize free will. That's because my brother is an arminian, and we've had lots of heated discussions about this. To his credit, his insistence on free will has convinced me to emphasize it more, though I've never really completely denied free will. I just, like most Calvinists, de-emphasized our ability to choose ourselves for Salvation. How can we choose God if He first chose us?

But I now realize that God has initiated an outreach to *all men*--not just those who will be saved. And He has wanted *all men* to be saved--not just those who will get saved.

So I do emphasize, now, our need to exercise free will--all of us--in the matter of opting for Christ's Salvation. But I still retain the belief that God knows in advance who will accept Him. This is not just hocus pocus to me--rather, this is a rational idea, concerned with Man's interference with God's original plan to bring *all men* into His glorious presence forever.