Can a Christian have a demon?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone is filled with the Holy Spirit, they do not pal around with the devil through false doctrines.

1Jo 2:20, But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

D

Dave L

If someone is filled with the Holy Spirit, they do not pal around with the devil through false doctrines.

It's when you think you are invulnerable that you've already been had. Why so many warnings about this from Paul and others?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's when you think you are invulnerable that you've already been had. Why so many warnings about this from Paul and others?
If you think that you are invulnerable in your own power, then I see how that would be so.

But if the Lord is your defense, then your defense is sure.

Psa 121:1, [[A Song of degrees.]] I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
Psa 121:2, My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.
Psa 121:3, He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
Psa 121:4, Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
Psa 121:5, The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand.
Psa 121:6, The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
Psa 121:7, The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
Psa 121:8, The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

D

Dave L

If you think that you are invulnerable in your own power, then I see how that would be so.

Psa 121:1, [[A Song of degrees.]] I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
Psa 121:3, He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
Psa 121:7, The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
Psa 121:8, The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
Paul still warns us and not unnecessarily.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul still warns us and not unnecessarily.
Because of our tendency to rely on ourselves.

When we place our trust in Him and in Him alone, we cannot fall.

Jde 1:24, Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

2Pe 1:10, Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

1Jo 2:10, He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Those who are filled with the Holy Spirit don't play with the devil; the Holy Spirit restrains us.
What about those who have been part of the occult scene before they came to Jesus? I'm thinking of Doreen Irvine who later wrote a book, 'From Witchcraft to Christ' about her experiences and her struggle to be free.

Reactions: Helen and Dave L
D

Dave L

Because of our tendency to rely on ourselves.

When we place our trust in Him and in Him alone, we cannot fall.

Jde 1:24, Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

2Pe 1:10, Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

1Jo 2:10, He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.
Well who doesn't do that, who thinks faith is their contribution to salvation?

Reactions: justbyfaith

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about those who have been part of the occult scene before they came to Jesus? I'm thinking of Doreen Irvine who later wrote a book, 'From Witchcraft to Christ' about her experiences and her struggle to be free.
I never read the book so I don't have a frame of reference for what you're talking about.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to remember that all who came to Jesus for deliverance, including the Gadarene demoniac, had faith which is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. The flesh remains the Devil's playground and many, especially these days, believe doctrines of demons that grant them access to their minds and bodies.

"Go out and visit 100 churches of your choosing, and do not be partial according to your beliefs. All must be within pedaling distance of your dwelling. Then come back and tell the world of your findings, or should I say, come and bare witness to what has found you."

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Oh whoops...you have a false security there.
Eph 6 does not tell us that.
We do not go 'palling around', but trust me...they are there dogging our footsteps ...waiting for their opportunity.

We have angels, ...from both sides of the fence.

The Gadarene man could not have come to Jesus if he did not believe..and he was full of 'em.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh whoops...you have a false security there.
Eph 6 does not tell us that.
We do not go 'palling around', but trust me...they are there dogging our footsteps ...waiting for their opportunity.

We have angels, ...from both sides of the fence.

The Gadarene man could not have come to Jesus if he did not believe..and he was full of 'em.
However, this was before the Holy Spirit was given, see John 7:37-39.

If the Omnipotent Lord dwells within you and is guarding the doorway of your heart, how can any demon enter in?

And also, if anyone receives Christ, does He not invade the home? Therefore those who were previously living there will not have a place any longer.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

D

Dave L

"Go out and visit 100 churches of your choosing, and do not be partial according to your beliefs. All must be within pedaling distance of your dwelling. Then come back and tell the world of your findings, or should I say, come and bare witness to what has found you."
Many churches teach doctrines of demons today. I won't set foot in one of these. And Jesus did not deliver one person apart from faith, which means either they or their guardian were born again. You need to learn about your enemy so you don't end up working for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to help with youth camp years ago. I have been long aware of the mischief coming through church people. I told a brother one day that I was worried about the operations of the devil through church people. Ohh... He says... The devil cannot go against the blood... And his contention was so great that he reported me over it.

Years later, at camp meeting, that brother came to me and personally apologized. I graciously accepted, but deep down, wondered what trials the poor man went through to come to the same conclusion, that yes, the devil can operate through church people and that it is a sad truth.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The human ego is not the unction of the Holy Spirit!

1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? - 1 Corinthians 5

Just a little ego.... And the whole lump ends up bad!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YW, Keep praying. :)

A demon cannot co-habitate a body that is filled with the Holy Spirit, with subsequent bearing of fruit.

I've been reading several online sites by deliverance ministers and they say that it can. The pastor at our bible study just said that a believer cannot - it's funny that he brought up this very topic. But the more I read those in the field, they mostly say it can happen.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to help with youth camp years ago. I have been long aware of the mischief coming through church people. I told a brother one day that I was worried about the operations of the devil through church people. Ohh... He says... The devil cannot go against the blood... And his contention was so great that he reported me over it.

Years later, at camp meeting, that brother came to me and personally apologized. I graciously accepted, but deep down, wondered what trials the poor man went through to come to the same conclusion, that yes, the devil can operate through church people and that it is a sad truth.

I think you're right. I've seen Christians do terrible, terrible things, that go beyond the evil that the flesh can do. I know that David committed adultery and murder, and we're not told if the evil one influenced him, but I keep reading that a Christian can have certain areas under control of the demonic. In fact I was reading that Satan does a lot of mischief by working through believers. He then works from within to tear down churches, ministries, and other Christians.

Reactions: rockytopva

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The flesh can have many demons. Only believers received deliverance from Jesus. This is why doctrines of demons can create all sorts of problems for believers. It opens them to possession. This is why I won't set foot in some churches.

Can I ask what churches you refuse to go to? Please don't answer if it puts you on the spot.

I've been reading through "War on the Saints" and she talks about believers being deceived by doctrines of demons.